Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Lol

This isn't surprising, by all accounts everybody loves Shaka the guy and in the media they are going to extend him a little "courtesy" based on that.  I fucking hate him as a basketball coach but this isn't douchnozzle, alchie, philandering "I'm more Mensa than you" Tom Herman we are talking about here.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 7

You know, I may not have watched a Texas basketball game this season. I may not be able to name anyone on our roster. I may not have the basketball knowledge that all of you guys have. 

I just wanted to make that clear to everyone. 

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah calling a Big 12 school in Texas a "basketball school" is weird.

Tech is still a P5 program in the state of Texas.  Football over everything.  

Tech is a whatever sport they don't suck in at the time school 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yes, but we just saved a chunk of money with Shaka jumping. The big question is how much will we have to pay Beard to come here.

Guarantee it will be the biggest contract in college basketball, hes already the third highest paid coach...

7 minutes ago, juan pantages said:

This guy on the marquette basketball board

He gets it

Did people not watch his Texas teams and still think this is the VCU guy? His Texas teams were all highly ranked recruits that stood around and watched a guy create off the dribble. No ball movement, no synergy, the opposite of exciting. On defense they didn't try to create TO's and they rebounded poorly. Literally exactly what we just fired. I'm perplexed by this "exciting" brand of basketball narrative.

comb.io - Brian, The Bachelor

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Based on the fact this is the best possible outcome and was probably all orchestrated/mutually agreed upon to help find him a landing spot, save us a buyout, spare him the indignity of being fired this thread title fucking sucks.  Fucking aggymac.

What a week. A commitment from Kris Ross and new content from aggymac. It all makes me want to JUMP! JUMP!

• Haha 1

It's ESPN, so consider the source, but:  Among Texas' top targets is expected to be Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, who went to Texas and was a student assistant for the Longhorns under Tom Penders. His buyout to go to another Big 12 school drops to $4 million on Thursday, sources told ESPN.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

It's ESPN, so consider the source, but:  Among Texas' top targets is expected to be Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, who went to Texas and was a student assistant for the Longhorns under Tom Penders. His buyout to go to another Big 12 school drops to $4 million on Thursday, sources told ESPN.

And Here We Go Joker GIF by hero0fwar - Find & Share on GIPHY

11 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Bob Knight and Tech were the ones to give him his first D1 assistant job which he held for 10 years, then Tech gave him his first D1 HC job.  16 years in Lubbock has either become home or enough for a lifetime.  We'll see. 

Edited by RollLeft

Just now, Macanudo said:

I just realized that I went the same high school as Beard.   He was 2-3 years behind me and I don't recall him at all.  I think he graduated the same year as Mrs. Macanudo.   But I guarantee she doesn't remember him.

Oof, that many eh.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

"Marquette buddy of mine says Smart wont happen as he evidently pissed off the AD and BMD by bailing on a handshake agreement to go there when the UT job opened up. That will be 9.95 etc. "

My post on the Fire Shaka thread didn't age well. Thank god. 

My Marquette guy is ready to blow his brains out. I told him he has no idea. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Davis is drinking way too early in the day. 

There is nothing "great" about Smart's coaching ability.  Tactically and strategically deficient. 

Pretty obvious is his trolling Texas fans. And he likes the attention. He does this all the time to all fan bases.

I feel kinda bad for marquette.  It's not like they've done anything to deserve this.  

Bye Shaka, nice guy but we're paying way too much for such mediocre work.

Trap Door GIF by FOX TV

I'm honestly okay with any coach we get.  Hard to do worse then zero tourney wins with Texas's resources.

Seems like beard is the hope, ivey is the high risk/high reward pick?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Shaka didn’t quit anything. We told him he was getting fired and if he or his agent could find a job he needed to take it.

This.  He didn't quit.  It was find a new job or get out (either now or next year, either way, he was going to be be fired and damaged goods).

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Teeth said:

Pretty obvious is his trolling Texas fans. And he likes the attention. He does this all the time to all fan bases.

until we get to a playoff in fb or back to a f4 in hoops we're an easy target for clicks and to be shit on.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so next years tournament first round play in game Marquette v Texas because the NCAA just loves storylines.

or maybe the NIT champ game.

I seriously doubt next year's team will qualify for any kind of post season game other than the Big XII toirnament no matter who we hire.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

until we get to a playoff in fb or back to a f4 in hoops we're an easy target for clicks and to be shit on.

We don't even need to be a F4 school in basketball, just make it to the second weekend and don't lose to the Radfords/ACUs of the world and the target is off our back.

• Hook 'Em 4

William Gates played at Marquette (of "Hoop Dreams" fame).  A guy from our high school near Chicago also got to play there.  As did a famous Texas recruit that got away from Barnes and the 'horns...Jimmy Butler.  I think the Smart family will be happy there, Milwaukee is an underrated city, though it gets ugly pretty quick once you get off Marquette's campus.  Plus the Jesuit Catholic, Best Catholic.  

• immamac changed the title to Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette
  • immamac unpinned this topic