Larry McMurtry RIP

OWLVIS

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I’ll note that I’ve got a side trip to Baxter Springs slated too, because of going to visit friends of my fiancé just because I wanted to see a hellraising town in Southeastern Kansas 

Pretty part of the state, too. Go a little farther south into OK and stop in Commerce (Mickey Mantle). We used to travel northeast to go fishing and boating on Grand Lake and also Lake Spavinaw.

Sorry for the derail.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Poor Skip always gets assigned to write about great Texans whose works he admires but who are kind of bored / annoyed by reporters, even ones as talented and friendly as Skip. Here he is getting cold-shouldered and big-timed by Tommy Lee Jones.

To be fair, Tommy Lee Jones is a miserable fucking asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

Truly a giant of literature. His work had a profound effect on me and launched my interest in Texas and the American West many years ago.  Very sad news for me today....

Agreed, thinking back on it, if it weren’t for reading his stuff, I probably wouldn’t have gone on and read Dobie or Elmer Kelton or any of that stuff.  He made me read James Michener!  This is what happens, Larry!

• Hook 'Em 1

While his buddy Ken Kesey was tripping his way across the country in the Further bus, a young woman, who was on the bus, drank too much lsd orange juice, and had a mental breakdown. Kesey and crew rolled through Houston (I think) and dropped her off at Larry’s place.

I admire the man who is there to care for those in need. RIP, Mr McMurtry.

Between Larry and James, I’m not sure there’s a father/son duo who’s art I’ve enjoyed more.

Waylon and Shooter would be in the conversation, but I wouldn’t rate as Shooter as top rate songwriter. Very good, but James McMurtry is Top 5 for me.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Agreed, thinking back on it, if it weren’t for reading his stuff, I probably wouldn’t have gone on and read Dobie or Elmer Kelton or any of that stuff.  He made me read James Michener!  This is what happens, Larry!

I almost wish I hadn’t stumbled onto this thread. What a gut punch. 

Don’t want to derail, but my pharmacy in Crane has a huge mural dedicated to Paul Patterson (one of Elmer Kelton’s students I think) on one of the walls. It’s faded in parts and I am working with a local artist to restore it. 

8ABBA721-7022-49D6-878C-CE5C78E73CFF.jpeg

Edited by 4HE
Grammar
  • Hook 'Em 4

Right up there with Grapes of Wrath

I’ll put Blood Meridian at the top of the list of finest pieces of American lit, but for pure reading pleasure Lonesome Dove probably takes the cake. This whole thing has been crazy. I started my every-year-or-two read of LD a few days before his passing. I was in the middle of another book series, but for some reason I just felt the need to start it up. Something about this time through it seems so much deeper because of that
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Sort of a sidebar, but if anyone in here is a Turnpike Troubadours fan, have you also assumed that the character "Lorrie" from many of their songs was an homage to Lorena?  Evan Felker has been pretty vocal about being influenced by Larry (and probably even moreso James) as a writer.  I see similarities in the characters.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Hell....I just remembered that two years ago, I sat and read Lonesome Dove aloud to my wife’s uncle on his death bed. He was fading in and out. But Gus and Call, and Texas, kept him company.

Words to die by. Now that’s what a writer should aspire to.

“When Augustus came out on the porch the blue pigs were eating a rattlesnake- not a very big one.”

Your book is the same one I chose to read to my dying great-uncle during my shift in his hospital room last year.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/26/2021 at 8:11 PM, CHIEF said:

Yep, about 5-6 years ago I spent A LOT of time in Archer City, between O&G, and our deer lease being there. No one had seen him in a long time. I don't know what they are going to do with his bookstore, it occupies every previously abandoned building around the square and along the major roads. I would suggest they offer a book that came out of "famous author Larry McMurtry's Archer City bookstore" for $5 plus shipping and handling for anyone that would purchase one, and buy a rubber stamp for authentication. It would be the biggest windfall that town has seen in decades. An irrelevant town just became a lot more irrelevant.

CHIEF 

Well if you're lookin' for a good time
You're a little bit late
We rolled up the sidewalks
At a quarter to eight

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1