H E B coming to the DFW

TexasGary

HEB is great. Honestly one of the most significant items in the "pros" column when doing a pro/con list for living in Texas. Hopefully the Butt family continues to hold the company an future generations run it with the same values. The day it goes public or gets bought by private equity, QOL in Texas takes a big hit.

He doesn’t have any kids. There’s some nieces and nephews though I don’t know how involved they are, if at all.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

He doesn’t have any kids. There’s some nieces and nephews though I don’t know how involved they are, if at all.

One of the nephews runs Central Market.  It will never go public or be bought by a P/E group.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

Prefaced by recognizing HEB is the best.

If there is an aspect to HEB/Texas foods that isn’t incredible, it is developing and promoting new foodstuffs from Texas’ bounty, or capability. This is a part of company history, after all, as Fredericksburg peaches attest.

A world class ham. Dried mullet roe. Argan oil. Clitocybe(!) nuda ‘shrooms. Maize grits. Dried menhaden chips.

HEB might be planting post oak by the section. If not, they should be. Sushi AND parisa bar. Agarita berries and chile petin sawzall-harvest season. (Don’t you like agarita margaritas)? 

HEB is outstanding. They have the corporate intelligence and culture to be otherworldly.

Sotol liquor ought be afforded special dispensation, to be sold in food markets.

/rant 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling
  • Like 1

Dear Texas, 

Please send an HEB to NYC. I have nine grocery stores that are a 10-15 minute walk from where I live in East Harlem and I would trade all that convenience to travel a couple of hours to shop at an HEB. They are the only thing I miss about Texas. We have one Wegman’s here in Brooklyn that is usually pretty high in the rankings of grocery stores when I read about that kind of stuff. It is a really nice store to be sure, but HEB is in a league of its own. The closest I have come to the experience of an HEB was the newer locations for King Soopers in Colorado. 

Dear Texas, 
Please send an HEB to NYC. I have nine grocery stores that are a 10-15 minute walk from where I live in East Harlem and I would trade all that convenience to travel a couple of hours to shop at an HEB. They are the only thing I miss about Texas. We have one Wegman’s here in Brooklyn that is usually pretty high in the rankings of grocery stores when I read about that kind of stuff. It is a really nice store to be sure, but HEB is in a league of its own. The closest I have come to the experience of an HEB was the newer locations for King Soopers in Colorado. 

They’re finally building a Trader Joe’s in Harlem but more central than East. What’s There, Bodegas and Key Foods? All grocery stores there tend to smell too. Wegman’s is the real deal though.

4 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

They’re finally building a Trader Joe’s in Harlem but more central than East. What’s There, Bodegas and Key Foods? All grocery stores there tend to smell too. Wegman’s is the real deal though.

I go to the Trader Joe's over on the UWS, but not often. I do like them though.

Off the top of my head there is Aldi and Target at the 117th shopping center that I frequent regularly along with a Costco. Then you have a Fresh Market store on 116th which I like and another grocery store half an avenue away. You have another store on 110th and 3rd, another Fresh Market on 106th and 3rd, two Cherry Valley grocery stores, one of which is a four block walk for me. It's open all night which is rare over here. There's a grocery store on 105th and 3rd as well. Those are the ones I can recall right now. I would trade all of them though for an HEB. 

Wegman's is cool. I have gone to it occasionally in Brooklyn. The setup is neat (A model train moving overhead by the deli area is fun.) and it is a pretty good size. HEB though is just in a class of its own. The diversity of products in an HEB combined with local choices and produce that is fresher than any I have ever seen is what really puts it over the top overall. 

• Like 1

I go to the Trader Joe's over on the UWS, but not often. I do like them though.
Off the top of my head there is Aldi and Target at the 117th shopping center that I frequent regularly along with a Costco. Then you have a Fresh Market store on 116th which I like and another grocery store half an avenue away. You have another store on 110th and 3rd, another Fresh Market on 106th and 3rd, two Cherry Valley grocery stores, one of which is a four block walk for me. It's open all night which is rare over here. There's a grocery store on 105th and 3rd as well. Those are the ones I can recall right now. I would trade all of them though for an HEB. 
Wegman's is cool. I have gone to it occasionally in Brooklyn. The setup is neat (A model train moving overhead by the deli area is fun.) and it is a pretty good size. HEB though is just in a class of its own. The diversity of products in an HEB combined with local choices and produce that is fresher than any I have ever seen is what really puts it over the top overall. 

That’s a ton better options than 10 years ago when I used to frequent that area(friend lived on 103rd and Lex).

Yeah, the only chain that comes close is Publix. Wegmen’s isn’t that far behind. H‑E‑B was my first job and even at age 16, I realized how well-run and special of a company it was/is.

Mrs. CHIEF's "equal" in her company is in New Jersey. They have been really great friends for probably 15 years. She is big on cooking, and so am I. Mrs. CHIEF decided we needed to do a "food exchange" and send her all of the things that are the best of HEB, and she would send us the best of NY/NJ (these were mostly dry goods). We sent a lot of Fiesta brand spices, HEB Habanero Cheese Puffs, HEB Beef Jerky, Green Sauce, Julio Chips, we even sent a small styrofoam cooler of Julio salsa, some Mi Tierra raw tortillas, and some packaged cheeses. What did she send....Trader Joe's. I didn't have the heart to tell her we have one on Hulen that I can get to in under an hour. I'm sure there are better items she could send, but I can get all of mine within 30 minutes, it would probably take her 3-5 days.

CHIEF

On 3/26/2021 at 2:17 PM, Trey3216 said:

H-E-B plays the market with game theory calculations.  They buy property as a first mover advantage, and more or less dare a competitor to buy up property at a higher rate as the second mover, and double dare the competitor to actually expand on it.  They are an absolute cold blooded killer.  

This is true.  And they will sit on it forever with at time leaking they are getting ready to break ground and nothing happens all while Wal Mat or whomever else is the same area dumps millions into store upgrades .    Then one day a construction trailer shows up and it’s game on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I missed HEB so bad until our Wegmans was built. Wegmans is better run, has better overall house brands, better produce - but not better meat, no tortilla aisle, and no Texas product slant. It's a wash - both are great. And eerily similar in how they plan/develop stores.

Great news for DFW though - all those grocers there suuuuuuuck. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I missed HEB so bad until our Wegmans was built. Wegmans is better run, has better overall house brands, better produce - but not better meat, no tortilla aisle, and no Texas product slant. It's a wash - both are great. And eerily similar in how they plan/develop stores.

Great news for DFW though - all those grocers there suuuuuuuck. 

I've lived south of San Antonio all my life which means HEB for  my 49 years has been the dominate player down here.    Sure we've had some mom and pop stores which survived over the years while others have folded.  Like wise the RGV had a few regional chains like Carls, M Rivas and Valley Mart which all had decades of success, because they knew their customers.  Eventually because of age of the ownership or the profits were just not there, they folded too.  I'd like to think many of them closed thanks to Wal Mart when they started their Super Centers.    The North Texas dominate market players tried to play down here and they were spectacular failures.   Albertsons and Kroger spent a bunch of money building stand alone stores to later close them not even five years into business and now they are community college career centers or Planet Fitness Gyms.  They failed horribly thank to not getting to know their demographic,   Their idea of ethnic foods such as Mexican was Taco Bell like crap.  Go to an HEB and yea you have some of that non sense, but you got real products from Mexico.  Ditto for other ethnic foods.     

Wal Mart has succeeded down here  mainly because they are a one stop shop and they have the pricing power to match  anyone along with a good distribution system.  But it sucks compared to HEB and they proved it during the early stages of the pandemic and other natural disasters   Personally I can't stand Wal Mart's selection and store layouts, but if I'm somewhere where an  Option B is not close, I'll get what I need to get and get out.  The major grocery shopping day goes to HEB.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I've lived south of San Antonio all my life which means HEB for  my 49 years has been the dominate player down here.    Sure we've had some mom and pop stores which survived over the years while others have folded.  Like wise the RGV had a few regional chains like Carls, M Rivas and Valley Mart which all had decades of success, because they knew their customers.  Eventually because of age of the ownership or the profits were just not there, they folded too.  I'd like to think many of them closed thanks to Wal Mart when they started their Super Centers.    The North Texas dominate market players tried to play down here and they were spectacular failures.   Albertsons and Kroger spent a bunch of money building stand alone stores to later close them not even five years into business and now they are community college career centers or Planet Fitness Gyms.  They failed horribly thank to not getting to know their demographic,   Their idea of ethnic foods such as Mexican was Taco Bell like crap.  Go to an HEB and yea you have some of that non sense, but you got real products from Mexico.  Ditto for other ethnic foods.     

Wal Mart has succeeded down here  mainly because they are a one stop shop and they have the pricing power to match  anyone along with a good distribution system.  But it sucks compared to HEB and they proved it during the early stages of the pandemic and other natural disasters   Personally I can't stand Wal Mart's selection and store layouts, but if I'm somewhere where an  Option B is not close, I'll get what I need to get and get out.  The major grocery shopping day goes to HEB.

My BIL once told me about these excellent steaks he bought from Walmart. Told him I refused to buy my trailer tires and steaks at the same place. It's the principle damn it.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Haven't given Wal Mart a penny since 2004 and will never do so unless it's literally a life-or-death situation. They can burn in hell. And my stance has nothing to do with their owners or anything, it's how they handled an identity theft issue I had. 

One other thing about HEB is they are so good at helping the community during disasters. It's a wonderful thing they do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

One thing that fascinates me about HEB is how completely different they can be from store to store.  You can go to three different stores and if you take the signage down, you would think you were in three different chains.

That’s kind of true.  Especially in the older buildings they currently own. 

8 hours ago, CHIEF said:

My BIL once told me about these excellent steaks he bought from Walmart. Told him I refused to buy my trailer tires and steaks at the same place. It's the principle damn it.

CHIEF

Wal Mart’s meat section is horrible.   However on one rare occasion I did some light grocery shopping I picked up some brisket burgers and they were actually pretty good.  At least it said brisket burgers on the package...might have been some other animal ..

On 3/30/2021 at 2:53 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Haven't given Wal Mart a penny since 2004 and will never do so unless it's literally a life-or-death situation. They can burn in hell. And my stance has nothing to do with their owners or anything, it's how they handled an identity theft issue I had. 

One other thing about HEB is they are so good at helping the community during disasters. It's a wonderful thing they do. 

If you have a 401k plan, you are likely one of the owners of Wal Mart  

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Good news there - a great pension and Vanguard funds for me. 

Well, if you own any S&P 500 Index fund, growth & income fund, value fund, or a host of others in your Vanguard portfolio...you sir, are an owner of Wal Mart  

On 3/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

One thing that fascinates me about HEB is how completely different they can be from store to store.  You can go to three different stores and if you take the signage down, you would think you were in three different chains.

When I lived in Wimberley, we were all really jealous when Dripping got an HEB.  And then you went there and it looked like a fucking warehouse.  Then a couple of years later, Wimberley got one, and on the first day it was open, you could walk in and see shoppers just looking around and crying, because HEB had so beautifully repurposed parts of the old school that used to occupy the site into the store.  

Edited by Beau Vine

• 1 month later...

The closest competitor to HEB in Texas in terms of quality was United.  Like HEB, it was a family business and the Snells ran a tight ship.  They have/had a premium brand, Market Street, akin to Central Market.   However, they sold out to Albertsons, of all the shit-tastic companies, a few years ago.  I've only been in a couple of times when visiting family, and the quality, selection, and diversity of items went to shit.  They're just a collection of shitty Albertsons now.  

HEB and United had a longstanding agreement, supposedly, to stay out of each other's markets.  After the sale of the United company, HEB promptly bought land in Lubbock and opened up a store a few months ago.  I hear it's doing quite well, and I suspect Albertsons/United will be suffering greatly before too long.

Frisco breaks ground

northeast corner of Legacy Dr. and Main St

Some of the details announced:

111,000 square feet - the companies flagship format

True Texas BBQ restaurant with a drive-thru, which was named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly and a top barbecue chain in the nation by Thrillist

Sushiya offers handmade sushi selections made in-store daily and an Asian grill with rice bowls, teriyaki and more

6 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Frisco breaks ground

northeast corner of Legacy Dr. and Main St

Some of the details announced:

111,000 square feet - the companies flagship format

True Texas BBQ restaurant with a drive-thru, which was named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly and a top barbecue chain in the nation by Thrillist

Sushiya offers handmade sushi selections made in-store daily and an Asian grill with rice bowls, teriyaki and more

daffy_fapping.gif

On 3/26/2021 at 2:17 PM, Trey3216 said:

H-E-B plays the market with game theory calculations.  They buy property as a first mover advantage, and more or less dare a competitor to buy up property at a higher rate as the second mover, and double dare the competitor to actually expand on it.  They are an absolute cold blooded killer.  

I was on a conference call with them last month for a company we work with. The guy from H‑E‑B on the call said “his idea of market share is…they don’t share.”

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The one at Spring Creek is coming along nicely. Not as soon as the Frisco one but I'm guessing by the end of the year. 

I am proposing to Plano City Council they pass a law “All construction that is not related to HEB is shut down until HEB opens.” 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Shaggy3.0 said:

Sounds like something an HEB employee or investor would say.

No, just someone that lived in HEB area for a few years. All their store brand products are better than name brand. The stuff they make on site is finominole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1