Instacart shopper & police thwart mass shooting at an Atlanta grocery store(?)

clapclapclap

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-man-accused-of-taking-6-guns-into-atlanta-publix-will-remain-in-jail/SBDVFU5DUFD7HOHHYTP5G3FZ7I/

Spoiler

A 22-year-old accused of taking six guns and body armor into a busy Atlanta grocery store will remain in jail after waiving his first appearance hearing Thursday.

Rico Abednego Neequaye Marley faces 11 felonies after authorities said he walked into the Atlantic Station Publix on Wednesday afternoon armed to the teeth. He was arrested after a shopper spotted him with a rifle in the men’s restroom about 1:30 p.m. and alerted the store’s employees, Atlanta police said.

According to an incident report, Instacart shopper Charles Russell entered the restroom and heard “clicking sounds” coming from a bathroom stall.

“It sounded to him like someone was loading firearms,” the officer wrote in the report. “He also told me that he saw an AR-15 style rifle leaned against the wall. He rushed out of the restroom and notified the Publix staff.”

ExploreMan took 6 guns, body armor into Publix at Atlantic Station, cops say

Staff members called in security and the grocery store appeared to be evacuated by the time police arrived at the scene.

Your donation helps The Atlanta Journal-Constitution provide essential public health journalism during the COVID-19 pandemic. We press on together. Donate today.

According to the incident report, an officer parked a short distance from the store before grabbing a ballistic helmet and a police rifle and going inside. Officers took Marley into custody as he left the bathroom and discovered six guns in his possession, authorities said.

“As I was walking through the left front door and entered the store, the accused was coming around the corner from the restroom from a few feet away from me,” the officer wrote, adding that Marley appeared surprised when he realized police were closing in on him with their guns drawn. “I immediately ordered the accused to put his hands up and don’t move, to which he complied.”

The weapons seized included an AR-15, a 12-gauge shotgun, four handguns and several magazines. All six guns were loaded and had rounds in the chambers, authorities said. The handguns — three semi-automatic pistols and a chrome revolver — were concealed on his person, according to police. The long guns were found inside a bag.

Russell, the witness who spotted Marley in the bathroom, told Channel 2 Action News the man was wearing a white T-shirt and black pants. At the time of his arrest, however, the Atlanta man was wearing body armor, police said. A ski mask was also recovered at the scene.

Police said the man took a rifle, a shotgun, four handguns and several magazines inside the Atlantic Station Publix.

Credit: Atlanta Police Department

The seized items were turned over to members of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives task force, which responded to the grocery store, according to the incident report.

Investigators have not said why Marley had so many guns inside the Publix or what he planned to do with them. Wednesday’s arrest came just two days after a gunman opened fire inside a Boulder, Colorado, supermarket, killing 10 people, including store employees, shoppers and a police officer.

Atlanta police declined to answer questions about a possible motive Thursday or release the officers’ body camera footage, citing the ongoing investigation.

Marley faces 11 charges, including five counts of criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possessing a weapon during the commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies. He will remain held at the Fulton County Jail without bond until his next court appearance, which has yet to be scheduled, authorities said.

Jail records show Marley was arrested by Chamblee police on a simple assault charge in January 2018. The incident was domestic related and court records indicate Marley threw a bowl of food at a relative’s head during an argument, Channel 2 reported. He was arrested again four months later on a theft by receiving stolen property charge in DeKalb County, court records show. It wasn’t immediately clear what happened with those charges, but he does not appear to have any open court cases, according to his Fulton County pretrial report.

Several streets inside Atlantic Station were shut down Wednesday afternoon as police investigated a “suspicious package” that was found in the parking garage after Marley’s arrest. Authorities later determined the bag contained clothes and other miscellaneous items and said it posed no threat.

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possessing a weapon during the commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies

I’m curious about this, and perhaps it’s because I don’t have all the facts here and I admit ignorance on gun laws.  Is it illlegal to carry guns around like that?  I hear about “open carry” laws and people were carrying rifles “protecting” the streets during the summer of protests.  I’m sure there  are people with concealed carry licenses that are in heb when I’m in there.   Is it because he took them out of the bag and other people were able to see them?  

Am I the only one at that weapons cache and just shrugging like, "Yep, another mass murderer in America armed to the teeth.  Oh wait...he's a Publix rewards member.  Hey, you're gonna get points today for shopping, I mean shooting, at Publix.  Thanks for your loyalty!"  

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Am I the only one at that weapons cache and just shrugging like, "Yep, another mass murderer in America armed to the teeth.  Oh wait...he's a Publix rewards member.  Hey, you're gonna get points today for shopping, I mean shooting, at Publix.  Thanks for your loyalty!"  

He was really just there to lift some crab legs, but got caught before he loaded up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

really says something about the power of those loyalty rewards cards and the muscle memory of bringing them with you on every trip to the store no matter what you're there for---essentials, school supplies, crab legs, mass murder...always bring the card.  

If that guy can remember it, surely I can remember my Randall's rewards card next time.  I think it's in a drawer with my blockbuster card.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

really says something about the power of those loyalty rewards cards and the muscle memory of bringing them with you on every trip to the store no matter what you're there for---essentials, school supplies, crab legs, mass murder...always bring the card.  

If that guy can remember it, surely I can remember my Randall's rewards card next time.  I think it's in a drawer with my blockbuster card.  

I forget my Ralph's card every time I go to H-E-B   

Are you the guy that always writes the checks out at Ralph's, no matter how small the purchase?  

actually the card is worthless, just type in the phone number.  I do like that about HEB, no card, no purchase tracking.  

I do worry that one day that my insurance company, or spouse, will pull up my Randall's purchases and realize I bought way more beer for my garage fridge than I'd care to admit.  And would sometimes even indulge in some candy and not share with the rest of the house.  Relatively innocent purchases though that can be used against me by my underwriters.  But there isn't a single soul in the world that knows how much ammunition I've purchased because I pay cash and don't show my driver's license.  Kinda weird.  

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are you the guy that always writes the checks out at Ralph's, no matter how small the purchase?  

actually the card is worthless, just type in the phone number.  I do like that about HEB, no card, no purchase tracking.  

I do worry that one day that my insurance company, or spouse, will pull up my Randall's purchases and realize I bought way more beer for my garage fridge than I'd care to admit.  And would sometimes even indulge in some candy and not share with the rest of the house.  Relatively innocent purchases though that can be used against me by my underwriters.  But there isn't a single soul in the world that knows how much ammunition I've purchased because I pay cash and don't show my driver's license.  Kinda weird.  

Put in false information so the account is active, but not traceable to you. 

I kinda do, I don't swipe a card---I just type in an old office number from literally 20 years ago.  She'd never have the occasion to pull it up, but we're just a few years away from health and life insurance underwriters tracking what you eat/drink/nonRXmeds/etc.  There's already a test project between TABC where no matter your age, your TXDL will be scanned at checkout when you buy anything at a liquor store even if you're not the one drinking it.  Only a handful of people really want that information...and Big Insurance is top of the list. 

Covid-19 has really put a damper on my reliance on cash.  Unless it was a business expense that I needed a record of, I paid cash for pretty much everything.  And I don't mean swiping my "super duper rewards" debit card, I mean cotton currency.  I'm sure I missed out on a free night at a Courtyard by Marriott by not using a points credit card, but it is invigorating how little information I put out there.  

Back to Publix.  When I went to college in Florida, I can't remember if it was Publix or Gooding's.  One of them would sell you a keg until 2:00am.  They couldn't offer you the tap or the can to put it in, because that department was obviously closed at like 10pm.  But some loophole, it was technically just a beer sale and you could have a full keg and all the ice you could carry at 1:59am.  I found that out using a fake ID from Illinois a few times.  

It’s pretty simple to cross reference your Randall’s card to your credit card. HEB keeps track of your purchases this way. That’s how they spit out the targeted coupons when you pay.

I keep waiting to hear that Google/Waze is going to sell my data to my car insurance company and skyrocket my rates.

4 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

It’s pretty simple to cross reference your Randall’s card to your credit card. HEB keeps track of your purchases this way. That’s how they spit out the targeted coupons when you pay.

I keep waiting to hear that Google/Waze is going to sell my data to my car insurance company and skyrocket my rates.

That’s info wall doesn’t go beyond that. If Randall’s sold the purchasing habit of phone #867-5309 to other parties, they can’t sell the associated credit card number, or other info identifiable to you. 

If you shared actual birth date, address, phone number, that number is more readily available in public domain to cross ref you. 

if it’s only the purchase history and credit card number, the only person who knows that are Randall’s, Russian hackers, and script kiddies on the dark web

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Another reason I pay cash at the grocery store.  Or I did, before Covid-19.  because they look at you like you're handing them HIV if you offer up currency bills.  

Our automobile data is next to get collected as well.  John Brennan was talking at UT once about how motor pool cars were checked out and returned with only like 40 miles on them for the day but they were gone for several hours.  And it's because they were being used for surveillance/stakeouts/etc. So they came up with this contraption that would measure your car's idle as well to see which Americans were spying on which Americans.  And then a Rolling Stone journalist's car mysteriously drove itself to his death.  

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Atlanta seems like it sucks. *(This is in no way meant to mean all people in Atlanta suck, or any majority race or people there suck)

That’s exactly what a statist would say. What are you suppressing

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/26/2021 at 10:46 AM, crash_davis said:

So if people want assault weapons bans, they need to root for more mass killings committed by minorities with assault rifles? Maybe that is this guy's reasoning. Long game.

Pissed it wasn't a white guy, eh?

Because they rarely hit anybody on a percentage basis. 

I like my chances a lot More with a guy leaning out a moving car window with a pistol and little training than an AR-15 wielding sociopath who methodically walks  the aisles of a grocer who hits somebody with every single round he fires.  

Edited by Lobo

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Because they rarely hit anybody on a percentage basis. 

I like my chances a lot More with a guy leaning out a moving car window with a pistol and little training than an AR-15 wielding sociopath who methodically walks  the aisles of a grocer who hits somebody with every single round he fires.  

must be a shitload of drive-bys going on, if hit rate is the only criteria that moves the needle, here.  meanwhile, there's an interesting ongoing debate (elsewhere) about what constitutes a mass shooting/murder event.

but whatever.  

you're right (again), of course.  let's limit the discussion to the radicalized or Just Plain Nuts, since what we also like to do is get on our high horse about legislating cures for shit like insanity.

but, eh.  nobody cares, because nobody died.  for all we know, he was just tooling up to head out back and blow up some milk jugs and cans, and where else was he going to get those but at a grocery store?  a perfectly reasonable explanation.

On 3/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, lmao said:

Pissed it wasn't a white guy, eh?

uhmfo0u1pxp61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

https://www.history.com/news/black-panthers-gun-control-nra-support-mulford-act

The display so frightened politicians—including California governor Ronald Reagan—that it helped to pass the Mulford Act, a state bill prohibiting the open carry of loaded firearms, along with an addendum prohibiting loaded firearms in the state Capitol. The 1967 bill took California down the path to having some of the strictest gun laws in America and helped jumpstart a surge of national gun control restrictions.

“The law was part of a wave of laws that were passed in the late 1960s regulating guns, especially to target African-Americans,” says Adam Winkler, author of Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms. “Including the Gun Control Act of 1968, which adopted new laws prohibiting certain people from owning guns, providing for beefed up licensing and inspections of gun dealers and restricting the importation of cheap Saturday night specials [pocket pistols] that were popular in some urban communities.”

image-placeholder-title.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

just so we all know whos on which side, is there anyone that actively cheer on -- or is supposed to cheer on --  conspicuous display of firearms?  by any parties or groups or race?

well, apparently scared, gun amassing white dudes only care about limiting firearms when scary black people have them. i'm for whatever it takes for sanity to be realized. 

15 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

If he was white no one would have stopped him before he killed someone

buncha article-not-readin' mother fuckers in here.  Instacart guy never saw him before raising the alarm.  to Dahobbs point, Instacart guy was probably also smart in leaving the AR since he is black, himself.

I suppose you could call it a victory for equality that the guy made it to the bathroom with all that gear, in the first place.

I dunno, but I recently discovered that mocking fat people open carrying long rifles is way more fun that I thought it would be.  One guy got pissed and started taking off all his tac gear, helmet, and weapon while threatening to whoop my ass...and by the time he was done, I had already walked back to my car.  He probably beat the shit out of his wife or kids in shame that night though, so in hindsight---I was probably being an asshole. 

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I dunno, but I recently discovered that mocking fat people open carrying long rifles is way more fun that I thought it would be.  One guy got pissed and started taking off all his tac gear, helmet, and weapon while threatening to whoop my ass...and by the time he was done, I had already walked back to my car.  He probably beat the shit out of his wife or kids in shame that night though, so in hindsight---I was probably being an asshole. 

Of course you were being an ass. You already knew that though. If someone mocked you for seemingly no reason other than they didn't like the way you looked, you would be pissed too.

I mocked him for carrying his rifle.  I picked him out of a small group, because I knew he couldn't catch me or fight me.  I never said anything about his size out loud. 

I made him feel ineffectual for trying to intimidate people with his weapon and idiotic tactical gear in public.  I don't verbalize anything about people's physical appearances, ever. 

I'm being an ass for calling this guy's complete lack of masculinity and self-confidence?  The kids picnicking on the grass nearby don't need to be frightened at this guy's weekend warrior bullshit.  The adults know what he was doing, but all kids see is an asshole with a huge fucking assault rifle which they only know because they have to go through school drills every semester where they learn more about weapon types than I ever did...and I come from a military family.  

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Of course you were being an ass. You already knew that though. If someone mocked you for seemingly no reason other than they didn't like the way you looked, you would be pissed too.

Fucking dipshits open carrying long rifles should be mercilessly ridiculed everywhere and often. Fuck those insecure pussies.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I mocked him for carrying his rifle.  I picked him out of a small group, because I knew he couldn't catch me or fight me.  I never said anything about his size out loud. 

I made him feel ineffectual for trying to intimidate people with his weapon and idiotic tactical gear in public.  I don't verbalize anything about people's physical appearances, ever. 

I'm being an ass for calling this guy's complete lack of masculinity and self-confidence?  The kids picnicking on the grass nearby don't need to be frightened at this guy's weekend warrior bullshit.  The adults know what he was doing, but all kids see is an asshole with a huge fucking assault rifle which they only know because they have to go through school drills every semester where they learn more about weapon types than I ever did...and I come from a military family.  

While I agree that dudes running around with rifles slung over their shoulders outside of a hunting scenario are ridiculous, I still can't help but hear the Song of Sir Robin in my head as you describe your retreat to your car when he invited you to throw hands.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Fucking dipshits open carrying long rifles should be mercilessly ridiculed everywhere and often. Fuck those insecure pussies.

I get it, I just don't live life that way - picking fights is juvenile and destructive no matter whether you are carrying unnecessary weapons or ridiculing people carrying unnecessary weapons. PETA feels justified in throwing blood on old ladies wearing fur coats. Gun carriers feel justified carrying weapons into public buildings. I just see it as a destructive cycle for society no matter where you stand on issues.

• Hook 'Em 2

I do try to walk with a bit of a brisk in the springtime, sometimes even a saunter or sashay depending on the cloud cover.  

And Bevo, normally I'd agree with you...it's counter-productive but this guy's little crew was being so fucking obnoxious and a family with 2 little kids picnicking on the Capitol grounds over their Spring Break visit to Austin was getting visibly concerned, and their elementary school kids were freaking the fuck out.  You can't fault them for not understanding a mini-exercise in 2A open carry and the kinda guy that looks like he's there to shoot up their school from the videos they have to watch nowadays.  The guy's crew were being dicks, so on my way out of a meeting, I watched a bit, and gave him some shit.  It's nowhere near the same level as throwing blood on old women.  I don't live my life that way, it was just total coincidence, I happen to be leaving the Capitol at the same time Corporal Dipshit & the Fat Boys were slinging steel and scaring tourists.  

Edited by Lobo

Just now, Bevo said:

I get it, I just don't live life that way - picking fights is juvenile and destructive no matter whether you are carrying unnecessary weapons or ridiculing people carrying unnecessary weapons. PETA feels justified in throwing blood on old ladies wearing fur coats. Gun carriers feel justified carrying weapons into public buildings. I just see it as a destructive cycle for society no matter where you stand on issues.

Dumbassedry should be called out and mocked, no matter what the motive. We should mercilessly mock peta fuckheads as much as we mock open carry assholes. People who foolishly and arrogantly (to hide insecurities) display their dogma are fucking idiots.