OU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I didn't realize Cam switch hit those homers. That's so badass. 

This x1000. He has good approaches at the plate marked by an aggressive mentality. He can drop bombs, hit oppo, and even lay down a bunt if need be. Cam is a fucking weapon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

This x1000. He has good approaches at the plate marked by an aggressive mentality. He can drop bombs, hit oppo, and even lay down a bunt if need be. Cam is a fucking weapon. 

He and Hodo both, honestly (not saying Hodo is a "fucking weapon" just that they are both impressive in different ways). I thought Hodo's bunt early on to get on base and advance Faltine was one of the plays of the game. I haven't watched as much this year as some here so I've missed some of his poorer at bats but he seems to be very timely. That was a crucial inning early on. (although it may have ended up being superfluous I still think it helped set the tone)

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

And he’s an extremely good defensive 3rd baseman. Keep him batting 3rd. Hodo, Daly and Cam at the top of the lineup would work. Silas 4th, Zubia 5th then Campbell, Faltine, Melendez and Kennedy to flip the lineup over seems pretty good on paper 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He and Hodo both, honestly (not saying Hodo is a "fucking weapon" just that they are both impressive in different ways). I thought Hodo's bunt early on to get on base and advance Faltine was one of the plays of the game. I haven't watched as much this year as some here so I've missed some of his poorer at bats but he seems to be very timely. That was a crucial inning early on. (although it may have ended up being superfluous I still think it helped set the tone)

I agree. Hodo is still young and you can see he has a certain swagger to his game. Should be a fun guy to watch and  develop.

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

And he’s an extremely good defensive 3rd baseman. Keep him batting 3rd. Hodo, Daly and Cam at the top of the lineup would work. Silas 4th, Zubia 5th then Campbell, Faltine, Melendez and Kennedy to flip the lineup over seems pretty good on paper 

Right under Faltine for fielding, imo. Cam being third in the lineup makes the most sense at the moment. If Pierce sticks with the small ball play, having hodo or whoever getting to second base after Kennedy bunts them over and then having Cam at the plate gives you the best chance to bring him in. Cam has been consistently putting the bat on the ball. Daly batting second in this offenses would not do him justice because I think his ability to hit the ball is greater than the need for him to bunt. It wouldn’t be a stretch to put him batting third but again, at the end of the day I think Cam is better suited at the 3 hole. 

6 hours ago, Droopy said:

Went to the game. Horns win. Fuck OU. 

95B6543A-12D4-4FAE-9912-E790E30F3500.jpeg

What a refreshing sight in that first pic.  Damn, that's good to see.

Nice win.  Let's get the dustpan and that other thing that goes with it.  Can't think of the name right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wee LHP Braden Carmichael going for OU today.  Pretty good as long as pitches against UTA.

Pitching Statistics
Carmichael, Braden - Pitching Statistics
Date Opponent W/L IP H R ER BB SO 2B 3B HR WP BK HBP IBB NP SCORE W L SV G-ERA S-ERA
  Total   20.0 18 9 8 6 22 2 0 3 1 0 1 0 324 55-33 4 0 0   3.60
2/24/2021 vs UT Arlington W 4.0 3 0 0 3 5 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 81 7-1 1 0 0 0.00 0.00
3/4/2021 vs Arizona L 3.0 5 4 3 2 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 55 13-20 0 0 0 9.00 3.86
3/9/2021 UT Arlington W 4.0 3 1 1 0 5 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 45 15-5 1 0 0 2.25 3.27
3/16/2021 at Arkansas W 6.0 4 4 4 1 7 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 101 8-5 1 0 0 6.00 4.24
3/21/2021 Houston W 3.0 3 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 42 12-2 1 0 0 0.00 3.60

13 hours ago, Droopy said:

Went to the game.

On the TV sound, there was this ultra-obnoxious Sooner fan (in other words, a normal Sooner fan) yelling "I like it, I like it!" or some shit and "yeahhhh!!!!" every time a Texas pitcher threw a ball or a Texas batter swung and missed.  that guy eventually shut up when it was out of reach.  Just wondering if you could pick him out in the crowd and where he was sitting.

We’ve got two guys with homers in less than 5 ABs. Yet little to no talk of more playing time. Our DH has not been overly productive but decent. Give those guys more ABs maybe.

Daly based on his efforts is your 3rd hole guy. Williams bats behind. 4th or 5th is fine. Ardoin has not shown to be a 4 hole guy to date. Williams thus far has been more power than all around hitter/run producer. If he continues to show power, put him behind Zubia so Z can get more fastballs and guess less.

You rail on Kennedy less so Antico. Kennedy’s OBP is .3 behind Hodos but he has the twice the steals and has not been caught. Plus Kennedy has proven in year’s past he can hit. Antico steals bases too but he’s been worse than both at the plate. Antico goes to 2nd or drops to 7th or lower until he heats up. I’d probably put Kennedy then Hodo. Kennedy can get himself to 2nd so less need to bunt. Friday versus OU we gave up two outs in the first two innings. Fir bunting. That potentially helped the OU starter settle in.

Kennedy
Hodo/Antico
Daly
Zubia
Williams
Ardoin/Faltine/DH or Antico
Hodo

As a matter of practice the two hole hitter being a designated bunter is not good baseball. It has to be situational. So maybe Daly at 2 is a good option. Antico or Kennedy are good 3 options if they play to their potential. Daly at lead off might be an option. Based on his numbers and skill set, Faltine could be a 2-hole hitter too. He strikes out too much but they all do.

Even though we have a few that haven’t hit well, we don’t have any automatic outs. And we have flexibility across the board. The biggest question may be do you let them settle in at a spot or decide based on who’s hottest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

On the TV sound, there was this ultra-obnoxious Sooner fan (in other words, a normal Sooner fan) yelling "I like it, I like it!" or some shit and "yeahhhh!!!!" every time a Texas pitcher threw a ball or a Texas batter swung and missed.  that guy eventually shut up when it was out of reach.  Just wondering if you could pick him out in the crowd and where he was sitting.

I was at the game and didn’t hear it

E0FD5EF8-6A2A-4B2C-A216-1BDA7BB890B3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We’ve got two guys with homers in less than 5 ABs. Yet little to no talk of more playing time. Our DH has not been overly productive but decent. Give those guys more ABs maybe.

Daly based on his efforts is your 3rd hole guy. Williams bats behind. 4th or 5th is fine. Ardoin has not shown to be a 4 hole guy to date. Williams thus far has been more power than all around hitter/run producer. If he continues to show power, put him behind Zubia so Z can get more fastballs and guess less.

You rail on Kennedy less so Antico. Kennedy’s OBP is .3 behind Hodos but he has the twice the steals and has not been caught. Plus Kennedy has proven in year’s past he can hit. Antico steals bases too but he’s been worse than both at the plate. Antico goes to 2nd or drops to 7th or lower until he heats up. I’d probably put Kennedy then Hodo. Kennedy can get himself to 2nd so less need to bunt. Friday versus OU we gave up two outs in the first two innings. Fir bunting. That potentially helped the OU starter settle in.

Kennedy
Hodo/Antico
Daly
Zubia
Williams
Hodo

As a matter of practice the two hole hitter being a designated bunter is not good baseball. It has to be situational. So maybe Daly at 2 is a good option. Antico or Kennedy are good 3 options if they play to their potential. Daly at lead off might be an option. Based on his numbers and skill set, Faltine could be a 2-hole hitter too. He strikes out too much but they all do.

Even though we have a few that haven’t hit well, we don’t have any automatic outs. And we have flexibility across the board. The biggest question may be do you let them settle in at a spot or decide based on who’s hottest.

Zubia and off speed pitches are an obvious weakness for him that it doesn’t matter where he is in the lineup they are going to throw him off speed. Williams also doesn’t just hit for power—he’s arguably one of the best all around hitters on the team. 

28 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Kennedy
Hodo/Antico
Daly
Zubia
Williams
Hodo

Kennedy vs. Hodo for leadoff is a really interesting debate. Hodo gets on base more. Kennedy steals more. Hodo has less doubles/triples. Kennedy has more walks. Hodo has more RBIs. It might come down to the bunting like you say. 

Really - I think you can't go wrong with either - and can't go wrong with Daly or Cam at the 3/4 after that. Zubia is the 5th right now to me. 

Of course, Daly is batting 6th today so what do we know.