Shameful guilty pleasures

CooterBrown

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Used to work with a guy who was a legit hair metal singer on Sunset strip in the 80s. He belted out Blaze of Glory in a Karaoke bar one night. Best I’ve ever seen do karaoke and not even close.

So did the real band fire the lead singer and hire this guy as a replacement? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Duran Duran has a fairly strong catalog, all in all.  Ordinary World and Come Undone are quite fantastic, but we do not get there w/o Girls on Film, Rio, Hungry ..., or Save a Prayer.  I did not recall "7 and the Ragged Tiger" released on 1983.  To me it "felt" like it was 1985 or 1986.  Perhaps it was Duran Duran fatigue at that time.  1993's eponymous album ("Wedding" cover) contained Ordinary World and Come Undone and caught my attention because of their artistry.  

I really like this song.  It was cowritten by Swift and Jack Antonoff.  Antonoff is the guitar player for fun. (We Are Young and Some Nights) and lead of Bleachers.

Here's a Bleachers song I recommend:

Miley Cyrus' NCAA concert last Saturday was kind of badass. 

Looking through my itunes, I'm seeing these other guilty pleasures:

Mariah Carey - I would probably pay decent money to see her live and also go to the show in disguise

Miscellaneous Musical Theater - Wicked, Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera

Taylor Swift - 1989 but that's about it

Skrillex - Mostly his collaborations with folks like ASAP Rocky, but the dude can lay down a hook

Nicki Minaj - She is a legit amazing rapper. If she did away with all the wigs and pageantry and over-the-top shit everyone would probably get that. 

On 4/1/2021 at 7:20 PM, Mach 1 said:

Duran Duran is a good call.

I did one of those pre-college Eurorail trips in the late 80s.. We were drinking with some Brits in a hostel when The Reflex came on.  My buddy said "Turn it up, love that song."

One of the Brits looked him with utter contempt, "Are you a pre-pubescent girl?"  I've kept my appreciation of some of their songs under wraps since.  But I'm now strong enough to admit this one:

Fuck those Brits.  They were probably about 3 years away from fawning all over Oasis and Blur, both of which you could draw a straight line from Duran Duran. 

There's no shame in liking them just because of MTV-related over-exposure. They were legit great songwriters and musicians and had amazing contributions to 80s new wave (obviously) and the "Wedding Album" that contained this song, "Come Undone" and others was a great piece of early 90s pop music.

Their live shows were also super epic. Simon LeBon is a top 20 front man of all time.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2021 at 10:19 PM, boilerhorn said:

Duran Duran has a fairly strong catalog, all in all.  Ordinary World and Come Undone are quite fantastic, but we do not get there w/o Girls on Film, Rio, Hungry ..., or Save a Prayer.  I did not recall "7 and the Ragged Tiger" released on 1983.  To me it "felt" like it was 1985 or 1986.  Perhaps it was Duran Duran fatigue at that time.  1993's eponymous album ("Wedding" cover) contained Ordinary World and Come Undone and caught my attention because of their artistry.  

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?  Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.  In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gernblansten said:

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?  Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.  In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

They're OK. Personally, I prefer Phil Collins.  I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going to take on the split topic here.

My karaoke go-to is The Beatles Oh Darlin'.  I've also been known to tie one on and to the Time Warp.  You have to have the room with you for that last one though.

Guilty pleasures, I've had a few, but this is the big one.

Here's another.  I feel like it has every 80s cliche wrapped into one song.  And somehow, it works.

Edited by dcbc

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

I'm going to take on the split topic here.

My karaoke go-to is The Beatles Oh Darlin'.  I've also been known to tie one on and to the Time Warp.  You have to have the room with you for that last one though.

Guilty pleasures, I've had a few, but this is the big one.

Here's another.  I feel like it has every 80s cliche wrapped into one song.  And somehow, it works.

Wow. “Oh Darling” for karaoke? Kudos, Sir. Ballsy.
That would not be easy for me to “sing”. I’d be up there simply screaming and yelling that tune.

and as for Billy Joel. Good on you. I’m personally not a huge fan. Early stuff was OK. But I think “Uptown Girl” and “We didn’t start the fire” are two of the worst songs I’ve ever heard. They are total punch out’s for me.  He is talented though, and yes Christie Brinkley (drool)...

1 hour ago, NTVTXN said:

Wow. “Oh Darling” for karaoke? Kudos, Sir. Ballsy.
That would not be easy for me to “sing”. I’d be up there simply screaming and yelling that tune.

and as for Billy Joel. Good on you. I’m personally not a huge fan. Early stuff was OK. But I think “Uptown Girl” and “We didn’t start the fire” are two of the worst songs I’ve ever heard. They are total punch out’s for me.  He is talented though, and yes Christie Brinkley (drool)...

I had a friend who would do Oh Darling and absolutely bring down the house.  So I co-opted it for when he wasn't around.  There's that "when you told me!" bit that's definitely tough, but by then, you've got the audience pretty well roped in and they are a bit more forgiving. 

This prompts the discussion of songs that are karaoke death.  I generally stay away from anything with much of a guitar solo in the middle.  More specifically, I've never seen a good Sweet Child O Mine. 

As for Billy Joel, I agree with you that there's plenty of cheese and trash in the catalog.  I saw him three times back in the day.  Every show was great, and I was really having second thoughts the last time I saw him (just into other things at that point, etc., but I was proven wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

This prompts the discussion of songs that are karaoke death.  I generally stay away from anything with much of a guitar solo in the middle. 

Ha! Great topic. I once heard/saw this dude in  bar in Boston actually “TRYING” to sing PJ’s “Yellow Ledbetter”.  
“Hell, we can barely understand what Ed’s singing, Bro! We sure as shit don’t know what you’re trying sing!”😂

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 1:00 PM, NTVTXN said:

Ha! Great topic. I once heard/saw this dude in  bar in Boston actually “TRYING” to sing PJ’s “Yellow Ledbetter”.  
“Hell, we can barely understand what Ed’s singing, Bro! We sure as shit don’t know what you’re trying sing!”😂

On a wizard

On a whale 

Potato wave

• Hook 'Em 2

one day at the start of the pandemic I got on the youtube train and it took me to the junior eurovision song contest which led me to discover, mimmi sandén.  she placed 6th in her year...should have won the entire thing.

she's the youngest sandén sister, molly the oldest is the real signing voice of rachel mcadam's character in "eurovision: the story of fire saga"

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, NTVTXN said:

Also, I’m not sure if it’s “shameful”, but I really dig 70’s -80’s easy/folk rock...Ie, Sirius XM’s “The Bridge” for me is more of a guilty pleasure. 
Seals & Croft, Christopher Cross, Ambrosia, Little River Band, etc etc

spacer.png

No shame in that at all.  Yacht Rock and The Bridge are slots one and two on my presets.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 12:51 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The budget for this video could have been a few hundred bucks. 

I've hated this song with the fire of a thousand suns since the first day I saw it on MTV. I've wanted to pound Lisa Loeb, however, with the fire of a thousand suns since the first day I saw her on MTV.

She's looking fucking outstanding for a 53 year old woman, I say gotdamn.

7 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

ELO, Duran Duran, and Journey?  WTF?  Those three aren't guilty pleasures -- they are each HOF, hit-making, magnificent titans of 70s and 80s FM radio. No shame in celebrating their songs. 

My wife got ELO tix to the Hollywood Bowl maybe 4-5 years ago.  It was top 3 show I’ve ever seen.

222E5525-97BF-498D-9437-10957ED1C6EC.jpeg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1