Shameful guilty pleasures

CooterBrown

Post your guilty pleasures.

I submit The Gothsicles, an industrial band from Madison, WI.

Generally, hilarious but surprisingly catchy lyrics over some early 90s style video game inspired industrial dance music. It’s way better than it should be. Discovered this first track about a decade ago and I don’t think a week has gone by since without a listen to them.

This is not a new revelation on this site but I’ve paid to see Nickelback.

Twice.

So have I. But it was to see Jerry Cantrell open. Didn’t know anything about Nickelback at the time. Bailed after a couple of NB songs. Don’t hate them just never got the vibe.

55 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I have this on my playlist...  I'm 60. 

I can’t believe you just admitted this is on your playlist.  I mean...oh wait, its on my playlist also.  I can top the embarrassment of this with a few songs I have on my playlists such as Wham Rap by Wham and Wannabe by the Spice Girls.  Don’t judge as I have eclectic taste in music.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

I actually like Nickelback... The interweb hate is a beating though

18 hours ago, tbone_ said:

So have I. But it was to see Jerry Cantrell open. Didn’t know anything about Nickelback at the time. Bailed after a couple of NB songs. Don’t hate them just never got the vibe.

It's the fast food of music. Sometimes I want Taco Bell and sometimes I want Fonda San Miguel.

I don't hate Nickleback the way it's become fashionable to, but I've never really enjoyed them either.

Buckcherry is my submission for this thread.  I legitimately enjoy a fair amount of their catalog.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't hate Nickleback the way it's become fashionable to, but I've never really enjoyed them either.

Buckcherry is my submission for this thread.  I legitimately enjoy a fair amount of their catalog.

Wait. Buckcherry has a catalog?

So many. The issue I run into, though, is that I don't feel "guilty" about almost all of them. So I tend to consider it "music that people don't like or think is terrible" that I find redeeming in some way. 

Katy Perry is a recent one. I listen to a lot of FM radio (not really intentionally) and her stuff is much more tolerable than a lot of the garbage they wear out. 

So many. The issue I run into, though, is that I don't feel "guilty" about almost all of them. So I tend to consider it "music that people don't like or think is terrible" that I find redeeming in some way. 
Katy Perry is a recent one. I listen to a lot of FM radio (not really intentionally) and her stuff is much more tolerable than a lot of the garbage they wear out. 

She writes good pop songs but I don’t like her much as a singer. She kind of just shouts a lot.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've owned at least 3 individual Buckcherry albums in my life.

I actually searched them in iTunes and listened to a bunch of samples- I heard quite a few song of which I had no clue were theirs.  Huh, whatdya know...they do have a catalogue...🙌🏻👊🏻🤟🏻🤙🏻

Edited by NTVTXN
I can’t spell

Also, I’m not sure if it’s “shameful”, but I really dig 70’s -80’s easy/folk rock...Ie, Sirius XM’s “The Bridge” for me is more of a guilty pleasure. 
Seals & Croft, Christopher Cross, Ambrosia, Little River Band, etc etc

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, smuggs said:

I enjoy this KISS song. Written with an assist from Michael Bolton. 

tumblr_o8byeopsB21qbydido1_500.gif

Another thread made me pull up KISS recently. Detroit Rock City and I Was Made For Lovin' You are great songs. Past that... yeah I can do without KISS.

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I never had an album or anything, but I probably know every word to most of the popular Culture Club songs.  I usually turn the radio up and sing along when they come on.

This is a good one. I can't get into Culture Club and I like and am pretty forgiving of a lot of 80s stuff. I think we all have our nostalgia guilty pleasures.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:28 PM, ztejas said:

This came on right before I clicked on this thread, ain’t mad at it. 

I will sorta refrain from commenting on her post-baby looks though... 

Duran Duran is a good call.

I did one of those pre-college Eurorail trips in the late 80s.. We were drinking with some Brits in a hostel when The Reflex came on.  My buddy said "Turn it up, love that song."

One of the Brits looked him with utter contempt, "Are you a pre-pubescent girl?"  I've kept my appreciation of some of their songs under wraps since.  But I'm now strong enough to admit this one:

22 hours ago, NWBuck said:

This song slays for karaoke, if you can totally cheese it up. It also helps to have a buddy in the back of the bar who "improptu" stands up to do the sax solo.

This could spawn a new topic...”Name your best/favorite karaoke song”

On 3/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, yoladu said:

The Pipettes

2,3, 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:23 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Keith is a hell of a guitar player and a cool guy, but now that he's out fuck their new shit. 

12 hours ago, Underdog said:

KP has some of the best legs of women's pop music.  I do like Hot or Cold.  

She had hall of fame quality tits as well

2 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Duran Duran is a good call.

I did one of those pre-college Eurorail trips in the late 80s.. We were drinking with some Brits in a hostel when The Reflex came on.  My buddy said "Turn it up, love that song."

One of the Brits looked him with utter contempt, "Are you a pre-pubescent girl?"  I've kept my appreciation of some of their songs under wraps since.  But I'm now strong enough to admit this one:

Their best song, not debatable 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

2,3, 1

Keith is a hell of a guitar player and a cool guy, but now that he's out fuck their new shit. 

She had hall of fame quality tits as well

Their best song, not debatable 

Fuck Dennis Taylor. 

I hate all Duran Duran songs except this one, which is their best one, not debatable. 

This could spawn a new topic...”Name your best/favorite karaoke song”

Used to work with a guy who was a legit hair metal singer on Sunset strip in the 80s. He belted out Blaze of Glory in a Karaoke bar one night. Best I’ve ever seen do karaoke and not even close.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 10:51 PM, NTVTXN said:

Also, I’m not sure if it’s “shameful”, but I really dig 70’s -80’s easy/folk rock...Ie, Sirius XM’s “The Bridge” for me is more of a guilty pleasure. 
Seals & Croft, Christopher Cross, Ambrosia, Little River Band, etc etc

I saw Little River in the late 70’s while Graham Davidge was still playing lead. They played what felt like a 15 minute version of “A Long Way There”. The only thing I can say, is as a lead guitarist he was unexpectedly good. I mean like, who the fuck is that guy good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I saw Little River in the late 70’s while Graham Davidge was still playing lead. They played what felt like a 15 minute version of “A Long Way There”. The only thing I can say, is as a lead guitarist he was unexpectedly good. I mean like, who the fuck is that guy good.

Edit to add Pink’s guitarist, Justin Derrico. I’m not necessarily a fan of Pink’s music, but the Justin guy is worth a ticket.

45 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Used to work with a guy who was a legit hair metal singer on Sunset strip in the 80s. He belted out Blaze of Glory in a Karaoke bar one night. Best I’ve ever seen do karaoke and not even close.

My cousin was in the Luther College Nordic Choir, and is probably the best singer I've met.  She does "Me & Bobby McGee" and absolutely slays it.  That would be the best karaoke I've ever seen.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

The worst karaoke I've ever seen was this guy in West Des Moines.  When we were living down there, we just happened to come across this place, and went in for a few.  We'd been drinking for awhile and thought karaoke was a great idea.  This scrawny guy who sorta looked like the lead singer from Live was sitting by himself at the bar, creepily.  He would seriously come up every 3rd or 4th song and just brutally murder terrible late 90's post grunge stuff.  The staff all knew him on a first name basis, and you could tell they fostered this mix of wanting to rip his limbs from his body and beat him half to death with said limbs, and feeling really, really sorry for him.  

It was such a pathetic, but oddly engaging scene.

38 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The worst karaoke I've ever seen was this guy in West Des Moines.  When we were living down there, we just happened to come across this place, and went in for a few.  We'd been drinking for awhile and thought karaoke was a great idea.  This scrawny guy who sorta looked like the lead singer from Live was sitting by himself at the bar, creepily.  He would seriously come up every 3rd or 4th song and just brutally murder terrible late 90's post grunge stuff.  The staff all knew him on a first name basis, and you could tell they fostered this mix of wanting to rip his limbs from his body and beat him half to death with said limbs, and feeling really, really sorry for him.  

It was such a pathetic, but oddly engaging scene.

Are you sure it wasn't the lead singer from Live?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Are you sure it wasn't the lead singer from Live?

Holy shit.  Mind is blown.

I guess it wasn't 90's, technically, but when he did "Lips of an Angel" I about chucked a bar stool at him.

Edited by Al_4_ISU