Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

• 2 weeks later...

EU trade technocrat says Boris is full of shit:

The prime minister has insisted that the United Kingdom will leave the EU in January next year and have time to secure a comprehensive free trade deal by the end of the transition period in December 2020. 

But Sabine Weyand, the EU's Director-General for Trade, said there was only time to negotiate a "bare-bones" deal with the UK next year, as the transition period will give negotiators less than 12 months of talks.

https://www.businessinsider.com/eu-uk-will-only-be-given-bare-bones-trade-deal-after-brexit-2019-11

Edited by elfenix
why does this fucking thing not respect where i put quote tags

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Good lord, they are as stupid as we are.

The whole planet has a case of the stupids these days.

It's actually quite fascinating (I mean, it would be, if we didn't have to actually live through it).  Decades of unprecedented peace and prosperity.  Yes, some people got more than others, but across the board, humanity has had an incredible run since 1945.

Which apparently makes us, as a species, antsy.  Maybe we're too used to chaos/conflict/deprivation, and being without it makes us uncomfortable all in our biology, and we have to sabotage it? 

In short, humanity is Reese Bobby, and that nice family dinner at Applebee's has unnerved the hell out of us, and we need to pick a fight over onions on a steak and get tossed outta the joint....

tenor.gif?itemid=9936542

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

While a Tory victory would not surprise anyone, I would issue the usual caveats that British exit polls are notoriously unreliable.

Truly--I don't know why they publish them.

Yes they classify 65 seats as too close to call. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Corbyn is their Hillary, but worse.  He's a candidate so bad, the pathological liar buffoon can beat him.  He's an albatross around the neck of Labour.

I don't know if you paid attention, but Corbyn faced some of the most ill-intentiobed accusations of anti-Semitism that were basically nothing more than him standing up for Palestinians. It's not a shock that people bought into this garbage

Just now, GSU&UT said:

I don't know if you paid attention, but Corbyn faced some of the most ill-intentiobed accusations of anti-Semitism that were basically nothing more than him standing up for Palestinians. It's not a shock that people bought into this garbage

Everyone knows if you have any sympathy for Palestine, you’re a Jew hater. /American GOP

3 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Oh, there's no doubt that the Tory campaign was fraught with bad-faith bullshit and outright lies (dude, that's on-brand for "conservative" politics these days).  The hell of it is, they didn't need that to make Corbyn look like shit.  He's a repeated failure of a leader.  Labour is a mess.

Meanwhile, the Lib Dems....yeah, they just can't get any damned traction.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Ironically, this might be the beginning of the end for the United Kingdom as we know it. Scotland is itching to have another independence vote and Catholics will be a majority in Northern Ireland by 2021.

Good times.

Yep.

The UK is intent on drinking hemlock, just to "show them bastards!" Not sure who....exactly.....but, you know, "them."  

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

I am in London tonight. This is fascinating to watch and listen to locals discuss at the pub. 

I suspect it is.  Do share any juicy turns of phrase you hear from the locals.  Egg them on and solicit outrageous shit from them for our entertainment.  That's an order, not a request.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, there's no doubt that the Tory campaign was fraught with bad-faith bullshit and outright lies (dude, that's on-brand for "conservative" politics these days).  The hell of it is, they didn't need that to make Corbyn look like shit.  He's a repeated failure of a leader.  Labour is a mess.

Meanwhile, the Lib Dems....yeah, they just can't get any damned traction.

It's not the Torries even, the UK media is a lot more right-wing and did very little to cover the election in a good-faith and fair way. Brexit may have still win overall, but they absolutely played a role in shaping the narrative.

23 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

It's not the Torries even, the UK media is a lot more right-wing and did very little to cover the election in a good-faith and fair way. Brexit may have still win overall, but they absolutely played a role in shaping the narrative.

I had no idea that was the case. Interesting. I wonder why the difference compared to here?

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, that’s how fascism works. 

lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

The UK is intent on drinking hemlock, just to "show them bastards!" Not sure who....exactly.....but, you know, "them."  

The goddam frogs.  And the hun.  And the dirty Dutch.  That's who.  Those fuckers that buy all their shit.

Yeah I don’t know all the specifics of why it hasn’t been done yet, but they’ve essentially voted for it twice now. 

Brexit isn’t on the ballot. The parties don’t neatly align w stay/go and brexit is not high priority for many.

So, no, they’ve not essentially voted for it twice