Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

VP Pence's remarks from the Guildhall speech (Lord Mayor's International Trade Dinner) were very pro nationalism weren't they? These are excerpts from the press pool.

those who think the UK is turning “inward” with Brexit are wrong and the US stands “shoulder to shoulder” with the UK, which needs “no lectures” from critics at this moment in history.

More:

“The minute the U.K. is out, America is in,” VPOTUS said, drawing perhaps the heaviest applause of the night.

I guess I'm not surprised that American foreign policy is trending this way since it has the word "foreign" in it and that appears to elicit two types of reactions from this Administration: the *Elvis sneer or the cold clammy feeling in ones nether regions after one has p*ssed themselves.

*no shade on Elvis, just using his trademark lip curl since he did it so well.

What are the terms requested by the EU that is preventing the UK from accepting the deal? Boris just wants to leave the EU and now he can’t leave without a deal. So make any deal necessary to secure brexit. You can always renegotiate trade deals later, and it would seem that any deal would be better than no deal, which Boris has previously been ok with.

I think the UK should stay but I don’t see how a deal is impossible unless that EU is demanding $1T.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What are the terms requested by the EU that is preventing the UK from accepting the deal? Boris just wants to leave the EU and now he can’t leave without a deal. So make any deal necessary to secure brexit. You can always renegotiate trade deals later, and it would seem that any deal would be better than no deal, which Boris has previously been ok with.

I think the UK should stay but I don’t see how a deal is impossible unless that EU is demanding $1T.

The two big sticklers are:

Retaining the open Irish border requires retaining the single customs area until something else can be figured out. They've discovered that something else isn't possible.  Either they cede Northern Ireland to the EU, they put all of the UK under the EU customs umbrella, or they put the border wall back up.

EU citizens already residing in the UK get to stay and they can bring family.  UK citizens residing in the EU get the same. 

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Retaining the open Irish border requires retaining the single customs area until something else can be figured out. They've discovered that something else isn't possible.  Either they cede Northern Ireland to the EU, they put all of the UK under the EU customs umbrella, or they put the border wall back up. 

Right.  This is the so-called "Irish backstop," which means that the UK will essentially remain part of the EU without having any voice in setting EU policy.  It's kind of the worst of all possible worlds.

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Bexot and Trump are what happen when you ignore the rage of an angry and ignorant minority (not the racial kind) of a nation looking to blame somebody else for their personal woes.

basically what happened was the tories fucked up the UK's response to the financial crisis, which made a lot of people worse off. then, in order to win election in 2015, the tories had to promise a brexit vote, never thinking the people they'd fucked over would actually vote for it (and why would anyone vote when it was non-binding to begin with: parliament knows how to make a referendum binding and it didn't include that language in the referendum).  then, the people the tories fucked over did vote for brexit, because the tories told them it wasn't actually the tories who'd fucked them over but immigrants (well, maybe the tories were confirming the suspicion, clearly people voting for tories didn't think tories were fucking them over).  so now the tories are fucking over everyone by attempting to play chicken with a train.  and yet, still, despite all the smooth buttfucking the tories have been doing, they're up in the polls, which is part of why boris wants a general election so bad.

46 minutes ago, elfenix said:

and yet, still, despite all the smooth buttfucking the tories have been doing, they're up in the polls, which is part of why boris wants a general election so bad.

It doesn't help that the Opposition stayed on the fence for the past several years out of fear of losing all of the Leave voters from the Labour Party. By remaining undecided they turned off both of their Leave and Remain members. Staying in the middle of the road during divisive times will get you squished.

Basically what happened was Parliament had plenty of time over the last several months to come up with a plan to stop Brexit. For months, they could have done their "vote of no confidence", obviously these 21+ defections didn't just happen overnight. There were many different paths to stopping Brexit. But they didn't agree on one.

The most recent and likely path, which would have guaranteed to a 100% certainty the stoppage of Brexit, involved putting Jeremy in charge of a caretaker government in advance of a general election and a second refendum. This was met with a collective "fuck you Jeremy". I don't know why they did this. It would have stopped Brexit and given them the referendum they claim to want. Jeremy's a piece of shit, but it would have been very short term, and it was the only way to stop Brexit. Labour is clearly the 2nd biggest party. 100% Brexit would not have happened.

Now they pass a law "forcing" the PM to ask for a delay, and BoJo says fuck off he won't do it. Well Parliament can replace him, call a vote of no confidence, call for a general election. Weirdly, they voted on a general election this evening. The motion was not passed. Weird. All these people complaining about BoJo and coups and democracy, and they turn around and reject, categorically, a general election. So weird. Why did they want to keep BoJo as PM?

Sausage is being made. And sausage is, generally speaking, fantastic. Even the black pudding. Good stuff. 

But seriously, there is an electoral majority for Brexit. If they go to an election, or even a referendum, Brexit wins. That's why they're doing this dance, pretending there's a coup and a great outrage. It's a form of surrender. I doesn't mean Brexit is right or good, but it does appear to signifiy giving up.

If they had the votes, it would be easy, just do the election, plenty of time to stop it. They don't, so they're pissing in everyone's Wheaties. But it's all sturm und drang, Brexit appears to be happening.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Basically what happened was Parliament had plenty of time over the last several months to come up with a plan to stop Brexit. For months, they could have done their "vote of no confidence", obviously these 21+ defections didn't just happen overnight. There were many different paths to stopping Brexit. But they didn't agree on one.

The most recent and likely path, which would have guaranteed to a 100% certainty the stoppage of Brexit, involved putting Jeremy in charge of a caretaker government in advance of a general election and a second refendum. This was met with a collective "fuck you Jeremy". I don't know why they did this. It would have stopped Brexit and given them the referendum they claim to want. Jeremy's a piece of shit, but it would have been very short term, and it was the only way to stop Brexit. Labour is clearly the 2nd biggest party. 100% Brexit would not have happened.

Now they pass a law "forcing" the PM to ask for a delay, and BoJo says fuck off he won't do it. Well Parliament can replace him, call a vote of no confidence, call for a general election. Weirdly, they voted on a general election this evening. The motion was not passed. Weird. All these people complaining about BoJo and coups and democracy, and they turn around and reject, categorically, a general election. So weird. Why did they want to keep BoJo as PM?

Sausage is being made. And sausage is, generally speaking, fantastic. Even the black pudding. Good stuff. 

But seriously, there is an electoral majority for Brexit. If they go to an election, or even a referendum, Brexit wins. That's why they're doing this dance, pretending there's a coup and a great outrage. It's a form of surrender. I doesn't mean Brexit is right or good, but it does appear to signifiy giving up.

If they had the votes, it would be easy, just do the election, plenty of time to stop it. They don't, so they're pissing in everyone's Wheaties. But it's all sturm und drang, Brexit appears to be happening.

Tories/Brexiteers/Trumpanzees/White Nationalists: It's all your fault we've been fooled by the false promises of Brexit. Why won't Labour save us from ourselves?

Rest of World: I dunno... Maybe you could stop hitting your own dicks with a hammer. But if you insist, take your pick.

Spoiler

28310495_1.jpg?v=8D51C06B0717400

• Like 1

In terms of the border control in Ireland/Northern Ireland, what was Boris' plan with a no deal Brexit?   

Given that Northern Ireland is physically separate from the rest of the UK, it seems that they could co-exist without strong borders with Ireland but create border control between NI and the rest of the UK.  If they start to see a problem with EU residents pouring into Northern Ireland, the UK might have to take additional security steps.

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In terms of the border control in Ireland/Northern Ireland, what was Boris' plan with a no deal Brexit?   

Given that Northern Ireland is physically separate from the rest of the UK, it seems that they could co-exist without strong borders with Ireland but create border control between NI and the rest of the UK.  If they start to see a problem with EU residents pouring into Northern Ireland, the UK might have to take additional security steps.

does this look like a man with a plan?

18301274-7448133-Boris_Johnson_pictured_

12 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Well, basically none of what you wrote is correct.

It would depend on what was on the referendum, of course, but there is no poll out there showing that "Leave" currently has a majority.  It is fair to observe that polling is notoriously spotty in the UK.  But you're just wrong to say that there is a majority for Brexit or that Leave would definitely win a second referendum.

The current crisis does revolve around the fact that Jeremy Corbin is a terrible leader of the opposition whom absolutely nobody wants to see become prime minister.  He's led the Labour Party into an absolute morass of neither favoring nor opposing Brexit.  So sitting there in the middle of the road, they've just gotten run over.  

The Liberal Democrats are the only national party that has been clear about opposing Brexit, and for that reason there has been something of a LibDem renaissance.  There is polling out there now to indicate that the LibDems may be the second-largest party, which only exacerbates Labour's reluctance to call a snap election.

But there is going to be a snap election in November or December.  It's just not going to be in time for Boris to get a majority in the Commons to do a no-deal Brexit on October 31.  And that's the critical bit.  It's not that anybody is happy with Boris Johnson, nor is it that Labour and the LibDems aren't going to get a snap election within the next three months.  It's that they don't want to do it so fast that Johnson could get a majority in time to reverse the law that was just passed requiring an extension of the Brexit deadline.

• Like 1

Even though a majority of the public voted to Leave a few years ago, it doesn't mean that a majority of the MPs represent districts that wanted to leave. Its a flaw in national referendums that are ultimately decided by representatives. If a certain number of districts voted overwhelmingly to leave, and other were on the fence or voted to Remain, you can easily have MPs that have no reason to vote to Leave. They will obstruct at every turn.

Similar to our POTUS electoral process. More Americans wanted Hillary to be President over Trump but the electoral college overrides public opinion. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think the Unionists wouldn't go for that option as an option as it would de facto cede control of Northern Ireland to the EU and, by extension, the Republic of Ireland.

Imagine a scenario with the US exiting NAFTA but with Texas remaining and, as a consequence, the Rio Grande no longer has border controls with Mexico but we do have with the US. And, of course, all trade from Texas to the rest of America is subject to customs inspections but not with Mexico or Canada.

At that point, you basically have an independent Texas or we just become a part of Mexico. So, if you support staying in the Union, there's no way you'd go for that. I'm pretty sure UK loyalists feel just as strongly about not being a part of Ireland as most Texans feel about not being a part of Mexico.

48 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, basically none of what you wrote is correct.

It would depend on what was on the referendum, of course, but there is no poll out there showing that "Leave" currently has a majority.  It is fair to observe that polling is notoriously spotty in the UK.  But you're just wrong to say that there is a majority for Brexit or that Leave would definitely win a second referendum.

The current crisis does revolve around the fact that Jeremy Corbin is a terrible leader of the opposition whom absolutely nobody wants to see become prime minister.  He's led the Labour Party into an absolute morass of neither favoring nor opposing Brexit.  So sitting there in the middle of the road, they've just gotten run over.  

The Liberal Democrats are the only national party that has been clear about opposing Brexit, and for that reason there has been something of a LibDem renaissance.  There is polling out there now to indicate that the LibDems may be the second-largest party, which only exacerbates Labour's reluctance to call a snap election.

But there is going to be a snap election in November or December.  It's just not going to be in time for Boris to get a majority in the Commons to do a no-deal Brexit on October 31.  And that's the critical bit.  It's not that anybody is happy with Boris Johnson, nor is it that Labour and the LibDems aren't going to get a snap election within the next three months.  It's that they don't want to do it so fast that Johnson could get a majority in time to reverse the law that was just passed requiring an extension of the Brexit deadline.

I didn't say that remain would win. I said they could have had their referendum. I have no idea how it would turn out. i just know it wont happen.

Brexit is scheduled for October 31. Why did the Parliament pass a law to try and stop it? Because it happens on Oct 31 if theu do nothing.

None of my facts are wrong. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

Again, they can stop it whenever they want to. They've proposed other PMs than Jeremy, and can't get a deal.

You know damn well why they didn't go to an election. And so does every halfway intelligent person.

Edited by Thetexashammer

15 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

You know damn well why they didn't go to an election. And so does every halfway intelligent person.

I told you why they didn't vote to hold an election on October 15--because Labour and the LibDems didn't want to run the risk of Johnson being able to cobble together the votes (either with a Tory majority or through a confidence-and-supply agreement with the Brexit Party) to overturn the law mandating that the Government seek an extension to the October 31 deadline.

I think everybody would be perfectly happy with an election in November.  And I'm sure that's what you're going to get.

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I think the Unionists wouldn't go for that option as an option as it would de facto cede control of Northern Ireland to the EU and, by extension, the Republic of Ireland.

Imagine a scenario with the US exiting NAFTA but with Texas remaining and, as a consequence, the Rio Grande no longer has border controls with Mexico but we do have with the US. And, of course, all trade from Texas to the rest of America is subject to customs inspections but not with Mexico or Canada.

At that point, you basically have an independent Texas or we just become a part of Mexico. So, if you support staying in the Union, there's no way you'd go for that. I'm pretty sure UK loyalists feel just as strongly about not being a part of Ireland as most Texans feel about not being a part of Mexico.

This is a historical problem that can only be resolved by remaining within the E.U. hence the total failure of Brexit.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I told you why they didn't vote to hold an election on October 15--because Labour and the LibDems didn't want to run the risk of Johnson being able to cobble together the votes (either with a Tory majority or through a confidence-and-supply agreement with the Brexit Party) to overturn the law mandating that the Government seek an extension to the October 31 deadline.

I think everybody would be perfectly happy with an election in November.  And I'm sure that's what you're going to get.

Why don't Labour and Lib Dem combine forces?   Shouldn't that be enough to take over?  (Note:  I don't understand English politics at all). 

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

Why don't Labour and Lib Dem combine forces?   Shouldn't that be enough to take over?  (Note:  I don't understand English politics at all). 

It used to be a tenable distinction between the two. If you were comparing it to today in the US, the LibDems would have been the establishment Democrats and Labour would have been the AOC/Bernie/Omar types. But that distinction got severely blurred by the tenure of the vampire known as Tony Blair. So the LibDems are still very much in the dead center of their political spectrum while Labour is probably a flea's hop to that left. It seems increasingly clear that Brexit is going to be a colossal failure, and those two camps would do well to put their petty differences aside and form a coalition like you suggested in order to mitigate or reverse it as much as they can...but those people are fucking hardheaded and I doubt that would ever happen.

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

It used to be a tenable distinction between the two. If you were comparing it to today in the US, the LibDems would have been the establishment Democrats and Labour would have been the AOC/Bernie/Omar types. But that distinction got severely blurred by the tenure of the vampire known as Tony Blair. So the LibDems are still very much in the dead center of their political spectrum while Labour is probably a flea's hop to that left. It seems increasingly clear that Brexit is going to be a colossal failure, and those two camps would do well to put their petty differences aside and form a coalition like you suggested in order to mitigate or reverse it as much as they can...but those people are fucking hardheaded and I doubt that would ever happen.

If you put together a LibDem and Labour coalition on the condition Jo Swinson is PM and not Corbyn, would it win? 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

If you put together a LibDem and Labour coalition on the condition Jo Swinson is PM and not Corbyn, would it win? 

Look at hammer's link. The "majority" to which he refers is not a majority. It's a plurality of around 30-33% with the LibDems and Labour tallying 40+%. Even if you added UKIP to the Tories, they'd still lose that one as well. And there's no way in hell the arrangement you suggested would happen because Labour polls noticeably better than the LibDems. If a hypothetical coalition were to be formed, Corbyn would be at the forefront.

Hey y’all lay off the hammer. He’s one of our resident trump supporting dumbasses like Zook who also, for some strange reason, is a big brexit supporter. 

Its an interesting combo for sure, since I know plenty of trump supporters in real life and not one of them has ever mentioned brexit, not once. 

It makes a fellow wonder sometimes, who am I talking to on the net? 

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Hey y’all lay off the hammer. He’s one of our resident trump supporting dumbasses like Zook who also, for some strange reason, is a big brexit supporter. 

Its an interesting combo for sure, since I know plenty of trump supporters in real life and not one of them has ever mentioned brexit, not once. 

It makes a fellow wonder sometimes, who am I talking to on the net? 

Identity politics. People in the US who support that foolishness do so for precisely and exactly one reason: "It's supported by the conservative party, therefore I support it." Most of the Americans who support Brexit can't even tell you what it is or why half of their population wanted to do it. It's a joke.