Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

On 12/13/2019 at 1:20 PM, workswithseed said:

About to be 27, my first vote was McCain. I thought it was just cool to vote, and have a decision in who voted. Unfortunately the next election was Trump and Clinton, and both were so bad that I couldn't do it. Still that schadenfreude was still great.

The next election was Obama and Romney.

• Fuck You 1

On 12/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You crystallize the point that ideology has jack shit to do with electability in the United States.  It’s all about affability first and policy second.  People didn’t vote for Trump because his ideas were awesome. They chose him because his alternative wasn’t charismatic enough.  

I'd be willing to bet that Trump's ideas vs Hillary's ideas were at least part of the reason coal miners and people with jobs in factories and manufacturing in the Rust Belt voted for him over her.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, EMAWesome said:

I'd be willing to bet that Trump's ideas vs Hillary's ideas were at least part of the reason coal miners and people with jobs in factories and manufacturing in the Rust Belt voted for him over her.

Which is ironic because he's done nothing to help those people. Coal mining jobs are still disappearing and manufacturing in the Rust Belt continues to struggle.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, bolverk said:

One thing getting lost in this thread is that the Tories lost most of their entire foothold in Scotland to the SNP (screenshots from the BBC link I posted earlier).

Picture2.jpg

I certainly won't predict Scotland WILL leave the UK over this, but Nicola Sturgeon is going to make some noise and will likely push for an independence referendum.

Yes the SNP did take most of the Tory seats in Scotland.  They also took all but one Labour seat in Scotland.  Seems like the Scots are going Peter Finch in Network.

• Fuck You 1

23 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

So you are calling Thomas Sowell stupid?  You couldn't win a debate against one of Sowell's boogers.

He's not stupid, just dishonest as hell.

That being said, Thomas Sowell strikes me as far more honest than you.

Edited by hpslugga

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There must be some pretty big turmoil going on behind the scenes in the royal family.

Meghan has taken a lot of racist shit without a lot of defense from the Royal Fam. Harry is so far down the line of succession, he’s looking up at George’s asshole. 

I’d fuck right off too. He has so much of Diana in him. Will is every bit Charles. 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Meghan has taken a lot of racist shit without a lot of defense from the Royal Fam. Harry is so far down the line of succession, he’s looking up at George’s asshole. 

I’d fuck right off too. He has so much of Diana in him. Will is every bit Charles. 

More like Diana had so much of her bodyguard in her, amirite?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You really are my people

I don’t care how much PR and image rehab the BRF have done on Charles and Camilla, I still hate them for what they did to Diana.

And, yep, Wills is every bit of Charles’s son and the shitty way the rest of the BRF have behaved in the face of the horrible treatment Meghan has received at the hands of the UK tabloids makes me sick.

BP and Clarence House released official statements a while back to refute a report that Kate had hair extensions FFS. But cannot be bothered to show any official support when the UK press called her background “ghetto”, made up literal trash about “diva behavior”, and actually headlined an article about her “Straight Out Of Compton”.

I’m so glad Harry has her back and they’re taking control and giving no fucks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

You really are my people emoji3590.png

I don’t care how much PR and image rehab the BRF have done on Charles and Camilla, I still hate them for what they did to Diana.

And, yep, Wills is every bit of Charles’s son and the shitty way the rest of the BRF have behaved in the face of the horrible treatment Meghan has received at the hands of the UK tabloids makes me sick.

BP and Clarence House released official statements a while back to refute a report that Kate had hair extensions FFS. But cannot be bothered to show any official support when the UK press called her background “ghetto”, made up literal trash about “diva behavior”, and actually headlined an article about her “Straight Out Of Compton”.

Middle-age white women and gay dudes, we got the British Royal Family fan club demographic locked down up in dis biiiich.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

You really are my people emoji3590.png

It will be interesting to see how things get along once Queen Elizabeth passes away.  People really like her.  Charles is not so well received.  You might start hearing cries of "why the fuck do we still have a king anyway?" in England once he takes over.

It is also interesting how the UK monarchy has been practically a reality show in the TV era while similar near-powerless royal families in other democracies have managed to stay out of the limelight.  You can barely even get a photo of the Japanese royal family and nobody gives much of a shit about King Philippe in Belgium.

It will be interesting to see how things get along once Queen Elizabeth passes away.  People really like her.  Charles is not so well received.  You might start hearing cries of "why the fuck do we still have a king anyway?" in England once he takes over.
It is also interesting how the UK monarchy has been practically a reality show in the TV era while similar near-powerless royal families in other democracies have managed to stay out of the limelight.  You can barely even get a photo of the Japanese royal family and nobody gives much of a shit about King Philippe in Belgium.

Oh gurrrrrrrl, don’t get me started on the Japanese Royals - drama, scandal, imprisoned princesses, disinherited family members - they are a MESSY Lifetime movie!

And the best royals are King Wax and Queen Max of The Netherlands.

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Racists? She's pretty damn white looking.

• Fuck You 1

On 9/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I told you why they didn't vote to hold an election on October 15--because Labour and the LibDems didn't want to run the risk of Johnson being able to cobble together the votes (either with a Tory majority or through a confidence-and-supply agreement with the Brexit Party) to overturn the law mandating that the Government seek an extension to the October 31 deadline.

I think everybody would be perfectly happy with an election in November.  And I'm sure that's what you're going to get.

Well this didn't age well. Post made in response to my conclusion:

But seriously, there is an electoral majority for Brexit. If they go to an election, or even a referendum, Brexit wins. That's why they're doing this dance, pretending there's a coup and a great outrage. It's a form of surrender. I doesn't mean Brexit is right or good, but it does appear to signifiy giving up.

Yes, Johnson managed to, as you said, "cobble together" a bare marjority. Johnson isn't a conversvative, he isn't "my guy" is any way. But I can do math. 

I point this out simply because there is a collective hysteria of which I am not a part, and that provides me with a clarity unavailable to those involved in the hysteria. The basic data were there for anyone to see.

13 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Yes, Johnson managed to, as you said, "cobble together" a bare marjority. Johnson isn't a conversvative, he isn't "my guy" is any way. But I can do math. 

I point this out simply because there is a collective hysteria of which I am not a part, and that provides me with a clarity unavailable to those involved in the hysteria. The basic data were there for anyone to see.

How is he not a conservative?  He's never been a member of any other party besides the Conservative Party.  The Tories would rather have poor people starve than give them welfare just like you conservatives on this side of the pond.   They are also almost, but not quite, as xenophobic as y'all too.  They are less fond of guns so I guess you can hang your hat on that.  

Also, a Brexit vote, if it were put in such simple terms, would not win right now.  People don't want Labour or Corbyn.  That doesn't mean they necessarily want Brexit.  They do need to go ahead and GTFO though if they aren't going to stay in.  Just no deal it, let Scotland and Northern Ireland leave, and let the cards fall where they may as long as they fall somewhere.

And you don't have to use the term "electoral majority" for the UK.  Save that shit for your orange god.  They have to win an actual majority over there.

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

How is he not a conservative?  He's never been a member of any other party besides the Conservative Party.  The Tories would rather have poor people starve than give them welfare just like you conservatives on this side of the pond.   They are also almost, but not quite, as xenophobic as y'all too.  They are less fond of guns so I guess you can hang your hat on that.  

Also, a Brexit vote, if it were put in such simple terms, would not win right now.  People don't want Labour or Corbyn.  That doesn't mean they necessarily want Brexit.  They do need to go ahead and GTFO though if they aren't going to stay in.  Just no deal it, let Scotland and Northern Ireland leave, and let the cards fall where they may as long as they fall somewhere.

And you don't have to use the term "electoral majority" for the UK.  Save that shit for your orange god.  They have to win an actual majority over there.

Conservatives laugh when the poor die, as we hail Satan. It's cause the poor are the most innocent in life, so thier blood is the most potent.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Racists? She's pretty damn white looking.

First, your post is racist.  Second, Brexit is occurring largely because of ethnic xenophobia toward Romanian and Polish immigrants.  Megan is not as white as either one of those groups.

Also, Megan is the first ever person of color or mixed color to marry into the royal family.  It wasn't so long ago that the royal family was nearly completely inbred until Charles met Diana.  Turns out that helped his sons be better looking than he is.  The English are scared that they may start having good looking kings and queens.  Can't have that.

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Conservatives laugh when the poor die, as we hail Satan. It's cause the poor are the most innocent in life, so thier blood is the most potent.

That's good.  Admitting your beliefs is the first step toward understanding why they are wrong.

And you farmers should never talk shit about anyone else getting welfare.  Y'all are the biggest welfare queens in the world.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

First, your post is racist.  Second, Brexit is occurring largely because of ethnic xenophobia toward Romanian and Polish immigrants.  Megan is not as white as either one of those groups.

Also, Megan is the first ever person of color or mixed color to marry into the royal family.  It wasn't so long ago that the royal family was nearly completely inbred until Charles met Diana.  Turns out that helped his sons be better looking than he is.  The English are scared that they may start having good looking kings and queens.  Can't have that.

I'm saying you can't be racist when you don't know she's actually not white. 

15 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

There are zero people in the UK that don't know Megan's background.  She is also darker than nearly everyone in England who would check off the "white" box on a form.  Remember, Brexit is mostly about immigrants from Southeastern Europe.  Those immigrants are "white" but also darker than the historically fair skinned Englishman.  Syrians are also mostly "white" but not "white" enough for England.

It wasn't so long ago that Italians weren't considered "white" here, if you recall.

Edited by FondrenRoad

WTF happened to this thread?  It's not the Royal family TMZ thread.

Do not adjust your screen, or your set. MPs have been voting on Brexit.
Guess what though? MPs have been talking about and voting on Brexit for much of the day, and there was only a faint hint of argument.

The opposition parties tried to make some changes to the legislation and failed.

The SNP protested about what was happening, as is their style, while the Lib Dems shared concerns about the future of the student programme Erasmus, which the government says can continue anyway.

The Labour Party looked miserable about what was happening and voted against the Brexit bill, but is frankly right now more concerned with its own survival.

And there was, inevitably, a moment when arch Eurosceptics couldn't help themselves, with one of them popping up on the backbenches to call for "Big Ben to bong for Brexit" on the day we actually leave the EU.

There were two things that really mattered though.

Firstly, the legislation that will take us out of the European Union at the end of this month sailed through by a massive margin of 99 votes, without a single Tory rebel.

There was not a single moment of doubt, of jeopardy, no sniff of uncertainty or truly fierce debate that might have stopped it happening.

There was hardly a soul protesting outside on Westminster's College Green either, with no sign of that political festival that popped up at short notice on so many days in the last few years.

And secondly, Boris Johnson begins his premiership at least more politically secure than either of his Conservative predecessors.

One former senior minister even claims that without a real rival in the cabinet, or on the backbenches, he is more powerful than even Tony Blair was after his landslide.
But beyond the political atmospherics, the legislation that will take us out of the European Union has now finished its stages in the House of Commons and goes off to be considered by the House of Lords.

With this kind of overwhelming backing, Boris Johnson will be able to stick to his timetable of taking us out at the end of this month.
We know we're leaving, but not necessarily how.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-51056923

9 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

What didn't age well?  They didn't want to run the risk of Johnson having a majority.  And their risk-aversion was, in the event, well-justified.

Whether there is a pro-Brexit electoral majority is, I think, very unclear.  That conclusion is not supported by any polling.  What is clear is that there is a very strong anti-Corbyn electoral majority.

The anti-Brexit vote was split across multiple parties; the pro- vote was united behind the Tories.  In the Westminster first-past-the-post system, it's no surprise who won.

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

WTF happened to this thread?  It's not the Royal family TMZ thread.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-51056923

More importantly than the royal family. What will they have left to drink?

Scotch is out. Guinness is out. They are even losing the best mass produced gin in Hendricks.  I guess they will have to start washing their terrible cuisine down with Bass and Tanqueray. 

Are you serious right now?

The UK media wrote and broadcasted hundreds of stories about her race.

1ba383863f9e447aa5210f11206e782e.jpg
5232336d35cc232a67326e3e55939e98.jpg
b031074f86c424e756e6502790194945.jpg
a34ebe0e1829f8914be7f0db50a8a761.jpg
9e258ebfe65b58c6d989876a54950885.jpg

Their wedding was watched by 1.9 BILLION people globally and her heritage was mentioned approximately every five minutes.

But please, do keep showing your ass that because she “looks white” no one could possibly know she’s mixed race and therefore she couldn’t have possibly been the victim of racism.

I mean, her race was obviously never even mentioned!
  • Like 3