Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

Once we get Beard/Beilein/Ivey in we will change the thread title so as to reflect the couching change. no need to mention the name of our former coach in the thread title and longer than necessary. as for now, let's look at our potential roster for next season, as of this very moment here on Saturday, March 27th. this roster will change a lot between now and our first practice, but for now this shit looks bleak:

projected 2022 scholarship players at this point:

Courtney Ramey

Brock Cunningham

Kamaka Hepa

Emarion Ellis

David Joplin

Thats it. 👀 Andrew Jones could potentially decide to return, but i have a very tough time seeing him make the decision to join that ^^^ team for free when he could be paid to play in the G League or overseas somewhere. the man turns 24 this year, so i won't hold my breath on him returning. And who knows, maybe Royce Hamm decides to come back now that Shaka is gone. of course if a school like U of H were to go after him then that's out the window, so we'll see. 

When Shaka was hired he took over a program that was seriously in fine shape, and simply needed some new energy. He then proceeded to recruit better than all but a handful of coaches nationally, while simultaneously/inexplicably running off half of his scholarship players via transfers out of his program, and sending Texas Hoops on a slow march back to the Weltlich days (in terms of program stability) with his preternatural ability to suck dick as a basketball coach. now we really do have a full-on rebuild on our hands, and the sooner  we announce our next hire the better. 

Bottom line is this: The next coach will have to hit the ground running with this unprecedented transfer portal that is adding numbers by the minute. our new coach will be able to offer potentially 25-30+ minutes to anyone who he wants to bring here. how well he does bringing in that transfer talent will be paramount. if he can bring in a bunch of dudes with real experience who are ready to play, then we may only be looking at a 1-2 year turnaround. either way, Shaka made damn sure to make things as difficult as possible on his replacement. and so, to whomever that man ends up being i say:

B668BEBD-3B61-401D-ABB5-213AD2B55C88.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Once we get Beard/Beilein/Ivey in we will change the thread title so as to reflect the couching change. no need to mention the name of our former coach in the thread title and longer than necessary. as for now, let's look at our potential roster for next season, as of this very moment here on Saturday, March 27th. this roster will change a lot between now and our first practice, but for now this shit looks bleak:

Courtney Ramey

Brock Cunningham

Kamaka Hepa

Emarion Ellis

David Joplin

Thats it. 👀 Andrew Jones could potentially decide to return, but i have a very tough time seeing him make the decision to join that ^^^ team for free when he could be paid to play in the G League or overseas somewhere. the man turns 24 this year, so i won't hold my breath on him returning. And who knows, maybe Royce Hamm decides to come back now that Shaka is gone. of course if a school like U of H were to go after him then that's out the window, so we'll see. 

When Shaka was hired he took over a program that was seriously in fine shape, and simply needed some new energy. He then proceeded to recruit better than all but a handful of coaches nationally, while simultaneously/inexplicably running off half of his scholarship players via transfers out of his program, and sending Texas Hoops on a slow march back to the Weltlich days (in terms of program stability) with his preternatural ability to suck dick as a basketball coach. now we really do have a full-on rebuild on our hands, and the sooner  we announce our next hire the better. 

Bottom line is this: The next coach will have to hit the ground running with this unprecedented transfer portal that is adding numbers by the minute. our new coach will be able to offer potentially 25-30+ minutes to anyone who he wants to bring here. how well he does bringing in that transfer talent will be paramount. if he can bring in a bunch of dudes with real experience who are ready to play, then we may only be looking at a 1-2 year turnaround. either way, Shaka made damn sure to make things as difficult as possible on his replacement. and so, to whomever that man ends up being i say:

B668BEBD-3B61-401D-ABB5-213AD2B55C88.png

I cannot wait for Courtney, Brock and Kamacka to break into NBA mock draft discussions.

Especially Brock and Kamacka.  Courtney seems prototypical, exactly what the NBA wants but already has.

While Brock and Kamacka seem to have something new and different, and really exciting for basketball.

I look forward to seeing the two of them develop into something really interesting in 21-22.  

And can't wait to see how far Courtney is able to go with additional leadership placed on his shoulders.

27 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

For those into Star Trek references, I guess you could also summarize our current situation as "Shaka, when the walls fell." 

hahah, what an annoying eppisode though.

Speaking of Star Trek,

Anyone catch UFC 260 tonight?

Thomas Almeida on the left

Thomas Almeida | Superflugs

Bjoran
Second Life Marketplace - NEFA Bajoran Nose Bridge - Male Star Trek  Sculpted Attachment

Edited by ATXbronco
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

I cannot wait for Courtney, Brock and Kamacka to break into NBA mock draft discussions.

Especially Brock and Kamacka.  Courtney seems prototypical, exactly what the NBA wants but already has.

While Brock and Kamacka seem to have something new and different, and really exciting for basketball.

I look forward to seeing the two of them develop into something really interesting in 21-22.  

And can't wait to see how far Courtney is able to go with additional leadership placed on his shoulders.

You are going to be very disappointed if you think Brock Cunningham is ever going to appear in an NBA mock draft. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope so how er our coach is brings in some portal transfers for that roster 

There’s going to be massive attrition all over the country.

This is actually probably the best possible year to bring in a new coach who needs to retool the roster. We just need to get the new guy in here quickly so we don’t miss out.

• Hook 'Em 2

Courtney Ramey
Brock Cunningham
Kamaka Hepa
Emarion Ellis
David Joplin

Thats it. Andrew Jones could potentially decide to return, but i have a very tough time seeing him make the decision to join that ^^^ team for free when he could be paid to play in the G League or overseas somewhere. the man turns 24 this year, so i won't hold my breath on him returning. And who knows, maybe Royce Hamm decides to come back now that Shaka is gone. of course if a school like U of H were to go after him then that's out the window, so we'll see. 
B668BEBD-3B61-401D-ABB5-213AD2B55C88.png.40c608c04d29dc7d33e6b7a2df99bf12.png

Can someone tell Ramey he is good enough to go pro... so we don’t have to endure his dribbling and throws from ball-hoggish play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/28/2021 at 1:46 AM, ATXbronco said:

This is how I feel.

Except exactly the opposite.

Ramey will be an excellent player when he gets a little better coaching. The tools are there.

If we hire Ivey it wouldn’t surprise me for a couple of our seniors to stick around. I can see Durant and some of the NBA alumni making a call and putting some pressure on them to help make him successful.

Chris Beard developed a multi-faceted recruiting strategy in his five seasons at Texas Tech, crafting rosters with blue-chip and underrated high school prospects in addition to several transfers. With a one-time transfer exception pending approval by the NCAA D1 Council, and the state of flux the Longhorn roster finds itself in, Beard will need to showcase his roster building abilities as one of his first acts leading the Longhorn program.

The 2021-22 Texas roster will barely resemble the 2020-21 roster. Greg Brown III, Kai Jones, and Jericho Sims are likely playing professional basketball next year, with Jones having already made his declaration for the NBA Draft. Royce Hamm announced his intent to play his final year of eligibility elsewhere on March 23, the same day Donovan Williams entered the transfer portal.

Sims, Matt Coleman, and Jase Febres could return for another season thanks to the NCAA, but whether they would stay for a new coach after four years at Texas is hard to determine. Even juniors Andrew Jones and Courtney Ramey could choose another playing option next season, professional or otherwise.

There’s no telling who could join or remain on the UT roster for Beard’s first season. Even one of Texas’ four high school signees, Tamar Bates, recently asked to be released from his letter of intent.

Whether other signees Emarion Ellis, David Joplin, or Keeyan Itejere stick with their signatures is unknown, too. It will be worth following if Beard’s lone 2021 signee at Texas Tech, Plano John Paul II forward Jaylon Tyson, follows through on his intent to play on the South Plains or if Beard coaxes him to play in burnt orange.

Beard has experience in crafting a roster that wins games despite year-to-year turnover in important spots. The leading scorers for the 2019-20 Red Raiders were Jahmi’us Ramsey, Davide Moretti, and Kyler Edwards. Ramsey and Moretti both sought professional opportunities after the season. Edwards remained to join transfer Mac McClung and sophomore Terrence Shannon as the top three scorers in 2020-21.

With new names entering the portal on a daily basis and the impending one-time transfer exception, Texas should be active in the recruitment of high-major caliber players seeking a new home. Beard himself has good evidence an important piece can be found in the portal, not with just McClung but also with South Dakota transfer Matt Mooney on his national finalist team.

Beard took transfers ahead of each of the last two seasons. Joel Ntambwe, Chris Clarke, and TJ Holyfield joined the TTU roster ahead of the 2019-20 season, while McClung, Marcos Santos-Silva, and Jamarius Burton were transfers integral to the 2020-21 team.

If Beard and Texas remains passive with the portal, then the roster the new head coach begins with may put the program in a difficult situation in year one. Beard has shown in his career he won’t remain passive in building a lineup and roster. It’ll be one of his biggest tasks as he takes over the hoops program on the Forty Acres.

It's interesting to me how much less is known about basketball assistants compared to football.  OC and DCs are well known for major programs.  Just doesn't seem that way for bball.  Some of you mega hoop heads, sure, but not like football.

8 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

It's interesting to me how much less is known about basketball assistants compared to football.  OC and DCs are well known for major programs.  Just doesn't seem that way for bball.  Some of you mega hoop heads, sure, but not like football.

Coaching in basketball is way different than football. The head coach sets the philosophy and style of play on both the offensive and defensive end and assistants execute the vision, they're not like a Kwiatkowski who we know is going to be bringing in his defense. That's part of why the Clippers are willing to hire Ty Lue after canning Doc Rivers, Lue wasn't responsible for the offensive style and it's changed (a bit) under him. There are some exceptions like a Yaklich, but even that is blended into the head coaches style to a degree. All we can really know about assistants are who they coached under which may influence how they think, who they are leads for recruiting, and maybe a positional group they specialize in working with which can also be fluid. I'm surprised more teams haven't brought in specific shooting coaches though, there's plenty that work with NBA players independently and if you have a guy fixing players forms I'd think that's probably the biggest advantage you could get in the college game. Someone can be free to correct me though if I'm speaking from my ass on any part of this. 

• immamac changed the title to Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard, Come to Daddy

Brock Cunning is the perfect Chris Beard player. He is going to be the most hated player in the conference by the time Beard is through with him.

Andrew Jones should also look at Beard's success with getting some of his forwards drafted into the NBA.

Liddell, Hamm and Williams would all also be wise to consider sticking around. Beard will help them take that chip on their shoulder and leverage it into a good finish to their college careers.

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Liddell, Hamm and Williams would all also be wise to consider sticking around. Beard will help them take that chip on their shoulder and leverage it into a good finish to their college careers.

Liddell has already transferred to Alabama State.

It is a virtual guarantee that Beard will bring in some grad transfers/ portal transfers that few have even heard of, and kick ass with them.

The roster he inherits is a challenge, to say the least.

Can't think of anyone better to stem the tide.  and don't shit your pants if his team struggles early.   He's coaching his ass off and working for buy-in.  Folks were pissed early in 2020-21 when Tech skated by Abilene Christian by 7 points...

yeah, those same Wildcats...

• Pancho changed the title to Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard