Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

37 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I had to stop reading, but it seems a large part of this article is comparing Chris Beard to Bruce Weber at Illinois and Tubby Smith at Kentucky (“See!  They went to the national championship game early in their tenures, too.  And then it was all downhill and they got fired!”)

Yeah, somehow I don’t see a lot of similarities between:

1. Chris Beard winning the Big 12 and taking Texas fucking Tech to the national title game in year 3 with a roster whose best players were all his own recruits and his own grad transfers.  Completely elevating the program light years above where it has ever been before.

2. Bruce Weber inherits a stacked Illinois roster from Bill Self, rides Bill Self recruits Deron Williams, Dee Brown and Luther Head to the title game, and then gets worse every year as the Bill Self guys phase out.

3. Tubby Smith inherits one of the most stacked fucking programs ever - mid 90s Kentucky with NBA players riding the bench - and manages to win a title his first year (in what was, I believe, the third consecutive year UK at least made the championship game).  And then he also went downhill as the Pitino guys phased out and it became his own program. 

Holy apples to oranges, Batman.

You're trying to argue with a guy that's clueless. 

That Bitterwhiteguy was an ass to anybody that wanted Shaka gone. He spent years arguing that Texas couldn't hire a better coach than Shaka. The fact he hates the Chris Beard hire when he was such a Shaka fanboy is incredible. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

That would require Shaka leaving behind a championship roster, which he most certainly did not.

Well the portal wasn’t around then and it is now so a championship roster can essentially be built.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

That would require Shaka leaving behind a championship roster, which he most certainly did not.

Yea I agree I’m just saying his example in the article of beard being tubby or an example of being tubby at Kentucky would probably thrill all Texas fans since he won a title.

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

"he'll control the room wherever he goes." lololol. every interview i saw with him was the exact opposite. he gets asked a question, and then before answering he tabs his water bottle, then slowly takes a swig, then calmly and disingenuously answers the question by spouting a couple of platitudes while saying nothing of substance. he's one of the worst speakers i've ever seen as a HC. did anyone else ever get sick of watching him constantly take time to slowly drink his water as he replied to media questions? man i am not going to miss that. 

Wait, I thought he was a snake-oil salesman that talked an amazing game, but the results never lived up to the hype? Shaka was terrible at lots of stuff, but talking a good game was never one of them.

12 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Wait, I thought he was a snake-oil salesman that talked an amazing game, but the results never lived up to the hype? Shaka was terrible at lots of stuff, but talking a good game was never one of them.

i'm sure he talks a good game in interviews and in the living rooms of young boys, but the man did not give a single honest, substantive quote for his entire six years here. i still have no idea who Shaka Smart is or what he's all about. none of us do. one of his many annoying qualities as a major college head coach. 

7 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

He was also over the moon about the Shaka hire and then spent five years blaming his failures on bad luck, so this article is extremely encouraging.

I mean, my God, there's being wrong, and then there's this:

lol

If you actually read that analysis honestly, you'll see @Bitterwhiteguy touted Shaka as somebody that talks a great game, says all the right things, and speaks with the authority of a basketball savant. Bitterwhiteguy wasn't the only person fooled. Shaka was wanted by every program in the country. Most people that are paid to write about basketball praised his basketball acumen. On top of that, nobody could have fucking guessed Shaka would completely abandon HAVOC - which is the only analysis he made about the way Shaka's teams played.

I mean, give him shit for not getting on the "fire Shaka" train sooner if you'd like, but even knowing what I know now, it's a pretty spot-on analysis of what we thought we knew about Shaka Smart in 2015. Unfortunately, it was largely all talk and didn't come to fruition. But you're blaming the messenger.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

If you actually read that analysis honestly, you'll see @Bitterwhiteguy touted Shaka as somebody that talks a great game, says all the right things, and speaks with the authority of a basketball savant. Bitterwhiteguy wasn't the only person fooled. Shaka was wanted by every program in the country. Most people that are paid to write about basketball praised his basketball acumen. On top of that, nobody could have fucking guessed Shaka would completely abandon HAVOC - which is the only analysis he made about the way Shaka's teams played.

I mean, give him shit for not getting on the "fire Shaka" train sooner if you'd like, but even knowing what I know now, it's a pretty spot-on analysis of what we thought we knew about Shaka Smart in 2015. Unfortunately, it was largely all talk and didn't come to fruition. But you're blaming the messenger.

i don't know how you expect anyone to separate the ensuing 5-6 years of BWG's opinions on Shaka from BWG himself. in fact, BWG threw any chance at taking it lightly on him out the window when he tried to explain that Shaka was actually doing a fine job at Texas and that the rest of us just didn't follow/understand basketball closely enough to see it. people don't forget stuff like that. 

Edited by shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't know how you expect anyone to separate the ensuing 5-6 years of BWG's opinions on Shaka from BWG himself. in fact, BWG threw any chance at taking it lightly on him out the window when he tried to explain that Shaka was actually a fine job and that the rest of us just didn't following basketball closely enough to understand. people don't forget stuff like that. 

I guess I didn't follow him close enough to know his nose was that firmly attached to Shaka's anus. There aren't many places around to get substantive analysis of Longhorns basketball, so I appreciate him for that.

I'll admit, I wanted to believe that the failures were more on the players than the coach, so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt longer than most around here. Unfortunately, that faith was rewarded with abject failure.

So I know it’s probably folly at this point but how about this for a potential roster:

G Micah Peavy (Tech)

G Jase Febres (returning)

G Courtney Ramey (returning)

F Greg Brown (returning)

F Bryson Williams (UTEP)

F Jaylen Tyson (Tech recruit)

G Emarion Ellis (recruit)

F Brock Cunningham (returning)

F Keeyan Itejere (recruit)

F TBD portal

F TBD portal

G TBD portal

G TBD portal

22 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That bitterwhiteguy has already been annoying about Beard. Just shut up already. Nobody cares what you think after sucking Shaka's dick for 5 years. 

Thanks for posting.

Exactly !    Never once in his columns at BC did he come close to criticizing Shaka.   When questioned,  his reply was "given benefit of the doubt,  not at practice, blah, blah.  He finally wrote an article in 2019  saying it would be best for a change.   But never in the postgame articles did he question Shaka.

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think the chances of either Coleman or Sims returning are slim to none.

Yeah about that. Came across this interview with Sims by Madison Hogue, a Texas soccer player, and at the 5:16 mark Sims offers a little hope that the decision to leave hasn't been made just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

In case anybody was wondering who runs the state of Texas, in the past 5 days we were able to poach 15% of the sitting D1 HCs in the state of Texas.

Kind of funny post when Baylor just won the first basketball national title in the state of Texas in like 50 years.  But your point stands. 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

So I know it’s probably folly at this point but how about this for a potential roster:

G Micah Peavy (Tech)

G Jase Febres (returning)

G Courtney Ramey (returning)

F Greg Brown (returning)

F Bryson Williams (UTEP)

F Jaylen Tyson (Tech recruit)

G Emarion Ellis (recruit)

F Brock Cunningham (returning)

F Keeyan Itejere (recruit)

F TBD portal

F TBD portal

G TBD portal

G TBD portal

With Tech hiring Adams, it sounds like Tyson will stay with them and Peavy is still a question mark, so Beard has a lot of work to do. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm hearing Jacob Young may be a candidate to transfer back. 

That's a good move.

Texas is Shaka-free and he can come back to play for an elite coach with results in his home state. 

10 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

how aggy of you when Baylor just won the championship.  

Well a couple of things there. 

1. Most of that championship wore off the around here by Tuesday afternoon. If Texas had won it would have made a much bigger impact in the state. In 3-4 years people will forget that Baylor even won a championship. Great team but they just don’t have the appeal of the other Texas teams.  

2. Baylor is fresh off a championship and could not pull 2 active D1 HCs to join there staff. That is not an easy task and speaks volumes to the stature that Texas and Beard have respectively.  

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Gerry wrote today that Febres is expected back (in addition to Cunningham, which we already knew). The staff is meeting with other current players and their families this week.

Gonna roll with a 3 and D offense.

Literally - one guy shoots threes and one guy plays defense.

There is no one else. 

• Haha 1

Non-Conf. games?  Who ya' got?  

We're due to visit Villanova and host Kentucky.  I think we're due for a neutral site game with somebody decent in either DFW or Houston.  

We confirmed our invite after Beard took the helm for the Legends Classic with Northwestern, Virginia, and UCLA.  I'm guessing they pair us with Virginia in the first round.  Hopefully for our RPI, we get UCLA in the title game.  

From the looks of the last few years of Tech's non-conf. schedule, Beard was about on par with what Texas was doing.  One early season tournament, 1 marquee non-conf. series, one big opponent mandated by the league's arrangement with another league in a Big12/SEC or Big12/Big East kinda showdown.  And then usually a neutral site game with a big name from Texas or nearby states.  and then 6-7 cupcakes.  I'm guessing he won't veer too much from that given a shallow roster and that most of those contracts are already signed just waiting on an end to pandemic restrictions (on travel and attendance) which look like they'll be hopefully long gone by mid-November.  But I'll be really interested to see what he takes on for the 2022-23 season at Moody and beyond.  

In my head, I thought we drew an SEC opponent once every two years and alternated sites with them.  We have played 2 games with Vanderbilt, Georgia, Kentucky, and LSU but we don't directly alternate sites in consecutive seasons.  We also had an Ole Miss in there as well.  The games are spaced out, but it looks as if we're due at least a home game in the SEC Challenge.  For the Big East, it's only been two years, but looks like we're headed back out on the road.  Could be Villanova, could be Marquette for all we know.  ESPN would love that.  

Will be curious to see who Beard schedules outside of the challenge games dictated by the league office.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

In my head, I thought we drew an SEC opponent once every two years and alternated sites with them.  We have played 2 games with Vanderbilt, Georgia, Kentucky, and LSU but we don't directly alternate sites in consecutive seasons.  We also had an Ole Miss in there as well.  The games are spaced out, but it looks as if we're due at least a home game in the SEC Challenge.  For the Big East, it's only been two years, but looks like we're headed back out on the road.  Could be Villanova, could be Marquette for all we know.  ESPN would love that.  

Will be curious to see who Beard schedules outside of the challenge games dictated by the league office.  

We also had a game against Bama a couple years ago. 

That one I do remember as a straight-up home-and-home series that was signed before the SEC Challenge.  We went there in 2016, and they came here in 2017 and the thing was done.  Because our SEC Challenge teams those years were @ Georgia and home versus Ole Miss.  our A&M game a couple years ago was also just a one-off separate from the SEC deal, just us in Fort Worth for a day.  But I could see us doing another SEC team, apart from the Challenge, in Houston or something.  I know Beard recruits there heavily.  

On 4/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, Hornlover said:

You do realize that in the “blame the messenger” analogy the poor messenger is delivering somebody else’s message and not his own?

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, longhornmatt said:

Basketball Bru McCoy?   At the time I questioned how he ever got a scholarship since his freshman year with Shaka was almost as bad as Will Baker’s, but he ended up being solid at the college level after the change of scenery.  That’s been true about almost all of the guys that transferred away from Shaka.  

When will Will Baker be transferring back?