Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

A lot of Kentucky fans are going to trash him for this season, but he's young for his year and their whole team was a shitshow. The only players who were remotely in a position to succeed by the end of the year were Dontaie Allen and Isaiah Jackson.

This is just the new reality of the transfer portal. Talented young players transfer after 1 year and up and down FR seasons. 

See Juzang at UCLA. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

AJ, Febres, Askew, Tyson, Cunningham, Itejere so far for next year?

I would be surprised if Texas keeps Itejere. Reading between the lines, I'm not totally sure Beard really wanted either Itejere or Ellis. The prizes in the '21 class were Bates and Joplin. 

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

He wasn't very good but it could be he just wasn't cut out for UK.  Hope he does well at UT, by all accounts a good young man.  Of course having said that, watch him turn out to be another Johnny Juzang...  Motherfuckin' Cal! 

That's the problem with recruiting talented players. When they struggle in year 1 they bail and very few FR are ready to play at the college level. 

I'm not saying Askew ends up being another Juzang but he will likely be a much better player with experience. 

Pretty much every school is dealing with this now. See Bryce Thompson transferring from Kansas. He's going to end up a stud at some other school much like Grimes. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, SDG said:

Who stays?

The other 3 are dumb if they don't go pro, but I expect Ramey to stay. I also thought it wouldn't be smart for AJ to come back and not play pro ball in Europe or whatever though, he's never going to be an NBA draft pick anymore.

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's the problem with recruiting talented players. When they struggle in year 1 they bail and very few FR are ready to play at the college level. 

I'm not saying Askew ends up being another Juzang but he will likely be a much better player with experience. 

Pretty much every school is dealing with this now. See Bryce Thompson transferring from Kansas. He's going to end up a stud at some other school much like Grimes. 

IIRC, Askew also reclassified from the class of 2021 to 2020.  So he was very young and thrust into the Kentucky basketball spotlight.

Bad recipe. I'm very sure he has grown and matured after a year of college ball. 

8 minutes ago, Teryor said:

The other 3 are dumb if they don't go pro, but I expect Ramey to stay. I also thought it wouldn't be smart for AJ to come back and not play pro ball in Europe or whatever though, he's never going to be an NBA draft pick anymore.

Depends on what type of $ Texas is dropping to keep players. I think this staff is definitely playing those games now. 

You're assuming those players aren't gonna be paid at Texas 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

IIRC, Askew also reclassified from the class of 2021 to 2020.  So he was very young and thrust into the Kentucky basketball spotlight.

Bad recipe. I'm very sure he has grown and matured after a year of college ball. 

Yeah he was considered the #1 PG in the 2021 class and likely a top 10 overall ranking. After moving to the 2020 class he was still ranked in the top 40 overall. From that highlight reel he’s got a pretty good looking shot and doesn’t appear to be very explosive athletically. Another year of high school probably would have helped that. I’m extremely excited to get him.

Febres - Career 6.9 ppg = meh

Askew - Career 6.5 ppg = awesome!

Lol.  Just kidding, but that made me laugh a little.  I agree though that Andrew Jones coming back is a much bigger deal.

I'm mainly excited to get Febres and Jones back because they are adults.  I would love to see Ramey back for another year as well.  There is just such a difference between a 22 yr old and a 19 yr old.  I really think with another year together and a little better coaching those three are going to be very good.   

The big get for me would be Greg Brown. Coleman or Sims would be great too, but I would almost feel bad if they came back. They have nothing left to prove and need to go make some money.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Really hoping it’s the Groves twins. Barring Simms coming back, that seems like the only way we’ll be able to field a front court. 

Or the fact that there's still about 2000 (actual number) dudes in the transfer portal. I promise we'll have bigs.