Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Allen looks great at attacking the basket. But he has almost a set shot from range and on free throws. It seems reasonably effective but doesn’t seem to fit the rest of his game.

He definitely likes getting to the rim.  Watching that highlight film, it’s almost impressive that he averaged 17 a game with defenses knowing he was gonna drive.  

Nick at Nite: Texas basketball roster starting to shape up under Chris Beard

Spoiler

It's been a busy day for Chris Beard and the Texas men's basketball program. Let's do a quick recap:

- This morning, Jase Febres announced his intentions to return for his fifth season with the program. After a pre-season injury, Febres played in minimal action for the Longhorns in 13 games where he averaged 5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds and 0.8 assists.

- Reports surfaced that Davenport (Iowa) Assumption four-star combo guard Emarion Ellis would ask out of his National Letter of Intent from Texas and join Shaka Smart at Marquette. Ellis became the third signee to ask out of his NLI after Tamar Bates and David Joplin decided to seek other options.

- Chris Beard landed two transfers in the form of Kentucky guard Devin Askew and Utah power forward Timmy Allen. Askew, who played one year at Kentucky under John Calipari, will provide Beard and Texas with game-changing ability at the point guard position. He is a high IQ player that can score on all three levels with an adept ability to shoot from outside, something Texas hasn't seen on a consistent basis from a one-guard in quite some time. Allen was one of the biggest names in the transfer portal entering today (the No. 3 player, according to 247Sports' Matt Howe) and will provide Texas with some serious presence in the paint next season. In 2020, Allen averaged 17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.3 steals per game.

- Andrew Jones announced that he will return for another season in Austin.

As the roster begins to shape up and many spots are left up for grabs, Beard and staff will work to recuperate the roster in a timely fashion to get to work as soon as possible. Let's take a look at some possible additions:

- The Texas staff has expressed interest in the Eastern Washington duo of Tanner Groves and Jacob Groves. The dual-package makes this tricky, but if Texas loses Greg Brown and/or Jericho Sims, this could make sense for the Longhorns down the line.

- Texas remains in the hunt for Chandler (Ariz.) Compass Prep four-star point guard TyTy Washington as the Longhorns look to make another addition to the 2021 class. Washington will bypass National Signing Day on Wednesday and extend his recruitment process. He is set to release a top five on Saturday and if the Longhorns make the cut, they should have ample amount of time to become a serious contender to land the talented guard.

- Three names I'm watching at the guard position are Desi Sills (Arkansas), Jacob Young (Rutgers, originally from Houston) and Jalen Pickett (Siena). If Texas has a need at the guard position, these three could fill a role that will compliment Andrew Jones and Devin Askew.

The roster will continue to develop over the next few weeks as Chris Beard and staff continue to work to build the roster in a timely fashion with a healthy combination of current players and transfers. Expect decisions from current players to trickle in throughout this week as the staff has expressed their desire to move quickly in forming the roster.

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

Allen looks great at attacking the basket. But he has almost a set shot from range and on free throws. It seems reasonably effective but doesn’t seem to fit the rest of his game.

Do you prefer a jump shot on free throws?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I'm just saying that he starts his shot kind of low and mid chest like this:

image.png.8fc70c1b053026a7ee635a6902dee1a2.png

Rather than at his shoulder like this:

image.png.fe2b05b76e401523ce8fd8d0bddc014b.png

He is shooting 77% from FT so it doesn't really matter.  But he is only shooting 27% from 3.

Edited by HookEm

Also of note, you have to go all the way back to J'Covan Brown in 2012 to find a player averaging more than 15 ppg for Texas.  Timmy Allen has averaged 17+ ppg for the last two years. The dude knows how to get to the basket. 

FWIW - Here are the guys who have scored more than 17 ppg for Texas since 2000.  That is a solid list of players.

• 2012 - J'Covan Brown - 20.1
  • 2011 - Jordan Hamilton - 18.6 
  • 2010 - Damion James - 18.0
  • 2008 - DJ Augustin - 19.2
  • 2007 - Kevin Durant - 25.8!
  • 2000 - Chris Mihm - 17.7

This is such a huge get for UT.  He is 2-time all-PAC 12 (1st team in 2021) at a crucial need position. We couldn't have asked for a better signing.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Interesting that this was the piece of information he chose to share about Young. 

I immediately wondered if it was the same guy, but figured Jacob Young is a fairly common name. That would be crazy. Would it be unprecedented? Certainly it would be at Texas, but I am curious if it has happened nationally yet. 

Seems like a true sign of the times if a player that transferred out transferred back in under a new coach.

(Gerry Hamilton) Beard building the Texas roster

Spoiler

Chris Beard and staff continue to build out the Texas Longhorns’ 2021-22 roster.

With the news Tuesday that Andrew Jones will return for one more season, and the commitments of Kentucky transfer combo guard Devin Askew and Utah transfer forward Timmy Allen; Texas fans are beginning to see a roster come together.

Jones, Askew and Allen join forward Brock Cunningham, shooting guard Jase Febres and 2021 top 50 prospect Jaylon Tyson.

The six players currently locked in for the 2021-22 season will provide the Longhorns with size and experience in the back court, plenty of three-point shooting ability in Jones, Febres and Tyson, and one of college basketball’s top combo forwards.

Current roster:
-CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21)
-SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21)
-SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21)
-G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6
-F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21)
-F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

Possible to return:
-PG Matt Coleman, 6-1 (13.2 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists in 2020-21)
-CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)
-PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Not likely to return:
-F Greg Brown, 6-9 (9.3 points, 6.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Key transfers still in play:
-CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)
-F Jacob Groves, 6-8, Eastern Washington (9.3 points, 4.3 rebounds in 2020-21)
-PF Tanner Groves, 6-9, Eastern Washington (17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds in 2020-21)
-C David Muoka, 6-10, Lamar (5.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.0 blocks in 2020-21)

Top target in 2021 class:
-PG TyTy Washington (Compass Prep, AZ), 6-3
Washington is slated to release a top 5 this weekend, and the belief is UCLA, Kansas and Texas will be three of the five. The former Creighton verbal has also been offered by Kentucky and Baylor in the last 48 hours.

Unless it's a situation like Greg Brown, where damn near all of his family went to Texas, pretty much all college basketball players worth talking about commit to coaches and not schools.

Its why Tyson is with us now, its just unfortunate that Tech only took a class of one this cycle.

Gerry:

Spoiler

Was told this AM after posting that TyTy Washington won't be happening due to players coming back at Texas.

That was Texas' plan ... hope to get back two of the three starting guards, add a transfer with experience and set the tables for 2022 recruiting.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry:

Reveal hidden contents

Was told this AM after posting that TyTy Washington won't be happening due to players coming back at Texas.

That was Texas' plan ... hope to get back two of the three starting guards, add a transfer with experience and set the tables for 2022 recruiting.

Oh shit....a plan.....with a backup option....not sure the last time I saw that in recruiting for this program.

So ideally 
G - Jones / Askew
G - Ramey / Tyson
G - Febres / Cunningham
F - Allen
F - T. Groves / J. Groves 

Would need another big or by some chance Sims comes back. 

That plus Simms, Muoka(the kid from Lamar) and Greg Brown would be fricking awesome... even Hepa choosing to return over Brown staying a year would be a very good pool of players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

That plus Simms, Muoka(the kid from Lamar) and Greg Brown would be fricking awesome... even Hepa choosing to return over Brown staying a year would be a very good pool of players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hepa and Brown won't be around next season.

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

We need to see this type of talent here again. The vision, basketball IQ, the athleticism, the rebounding. 

look at Matt Hill in that video. dude is confident and competent, and is out there getting boards and blocking shots against one of/the best front courts in the country. it's amazing what happens when you actually develop players. 

also, some stat lines from that game:

•Damion James- 25 pts, 15 reb (5 oreb), 4 stl, 1 blk 

•Dexter Pittman- 23 pts, 15 reb, 2 blk, 5-8 FT

•J'Covan Brown- 21 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl

•Avery Bradley- 20 pts, 4 reb, 3 stl

and you talk about player development? Damion, J'Covan, and Pittman all grew tremendously under Barnes and co. Rach one of them left the program a completely different player than the one he was when he came in. we used to do that here. now, it's been so long since that was the MO of our program that i've damn near forgotten what that feels like.

i'll be honest, i don't know a whole lot about Beard and his assistants as talent developers (although Rodney and Ogden being Barnes disciples seems to bode well), but if he can develop players as well as he recruits then things around are going to get good in a hurry. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that was a GOOD team.  i loved them.  i believe that was the high point of our season though.

we actually went back home and beat a really good Sparty team two days later. awesome atmosphere at the FEC that night. but yeah, it's been pretty much all downhill from there for our basketball program. i'm very much looking forward to that ending here soon.  

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So ideally 

G - Jones / Askew

G - Ramey / Tyson

G - Febres / Cunningham

F - Allen

F - T. Groves / J. Groves 

Would need another big or by some chance Sims comes back. 

Fuck yes. That’s a pretty damn good team. I’ve given up on Brown coming back but Sims would be huge.

It's been so long since that (player development) was the MO of our program that i've damn near forgotten what that feels like.

Have to admit, this take bothers me.  Shaka may not have been the BEST at player development, but I think it is somewhat disrespectful to our players to act like they haven't developed in their time here.  

• Coleman grew tremendously from his freshman season
  • Sims improved in most categories and has worked his way into the NBA draft conversation
  • Kai Jones was a borderline top-50 recruit and is now primed to go in the lottery
  • Ramey has improved his shooting from 58% to 83% on FTs and 38% to 41% from 3. His defense is also much improved
  • Andrew Jones had his best year last year despite all of his challenges
  • Kerwin Roach improved in just about every statistical category over 4 years
  • Jaxson Hayes wasn't even a top-100 recruit and was drafted top-10

I'm not saying that haven't been misses (Hamm and Liddell being recent examples).  We can certainly get better... I'm just saying we aren't starting from zero. 

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Have to admit, this take bothers me.  Shaka may not have been the BEST at player development, but I think it is somewhat disrespectful to our players to act like they haven't developed in their time here.  

• Sims improved in most categories and has worked his way into the NBA draft conversation
  • Kai Jones was a borderline top-50 recruit and is now primed to go in the lottery
  • Ramey has improved his shooting from 58% to 83% on FTs and 38% to 41% from 3. His defense is also much improved

I'm not saying that haven't been misses (Hamm and Liddell being recent examples).  We can certainly get better... I'm just saying we aren't starting from zero. 

Not sure I agree.

Most of the observed growth pertains to field goal percentages, which is to be expected. Players should become better shooters over time, particularly at the college level as they adapt from high school and devote countless hours in the gym.

But in terms of basketball IQ? Knowing where to be on the floor, what cuts to make, when to make them, when to help and rotate, when to foul (or not foul) ... you know, the sort of things a coaching staff is supposed to instruct and instill in its players, I can't objectively state there's been much growth at all.

You mentioned Sims. He still brings the ball down after rebounds. Still dribbles too much. Often still fails to locate and box out on rebounds. The little turnaround hook/fadeaway move to his right was on display as a raw freshman. What other move has he developed, such as a drop step? 

As for Roach, his basketball IQ after four years was no better than his first game. Unfortunately, I could make the same claim for Coleman, Ramey, and Jones. They still make the absolute worst decisions at the worst possible times, whether it's dribbling off their legs, dribbling out of bounds, forcing a bad pass, or chucking up ill-advised 3s early in the shot clock and with no rebounders in position.

Hayes and Jones were late bloomers/flyers. Jaxson was drafted on athletic potential; the same will apply for Kai. Give Shaka credit for recognizing their potential and getting them on campus, but developing them? 

To be clear, there's no intent to hate on our players. I love these guys (yes, even Roach). I just don't think they ever received the instruction and supervision they deserved. Coleman is a great example. That kid would've been an All-American at Duke, but maybe I need to set aside my burnt orange glasses.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, HookEm said:

And yet those 5 were not able to beat Abilene F'n Christian.

• Hook 'Em 6