Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the thing that makes me feel pretty good about Beard is that his final 4 run was no fluke

beat 14, 6, 2, 1, 2, beaten in OT by a 1.

and his elite 8 run was 14, 6, 2, beaten by a 1

so your saying all we have to do is get the #1 overall seed and we have a guaranteed championship? 

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

aggy basketball is an absolute dumpster fire. This was their only good player last season. 

I also hope we have interest in Miller. He's a very good player. 

Buzz is having trouble putting together a roster....and to think he begged for that job. Huge mistake. He’s heading into year 3 and things are not looking good. Couple that with his sub par X’s and O’s and suddenly that hire is looking like a whiff.

23 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

so your saying all we have to do is get the #1 overall seed and we have a guaranteed championship? 

maybe.  Its basketball.  I just want to be in the sweet 16 hunt consistently.  Texas actually winning an NCAA championship in basketball would be a bonus.  

28 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Buzz is having trouble putting together a roster....and to think he begged for that job. Huge mistake. He’s heading into year 3 and things are not looking good. Couple that with his sub par X’s and O’s and suddenly that hire is looking like a whiff.

I remember when we wanted him back when he was at...Marquette. Holy shit!

• Haha 1

I don’t think it’ll be this way for football or baseball but these new rules mean basketball coaches will be rebuilding their rosters from scratch every year.  There’s a pretty narrow type of player that coaches will be able to count on returning: happy underclassmen starters who are not good enough to go pro.  Every other type of player (players good enough to go pro, players who didn’t get a lot of playing time, any player who is unhappy for any reason) are likely to bolt.  Luckily this years team had several guys who fit the profile of guys who would come back and it looks like Beard will excel at this new kind of recruiting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Hoops recruiting

Members of the Texas staff, including Chris Beard, will be meeting with the families of Jericho Sims, Courtney Ramey, and Matt Coleman over the weekend as Texas makes a final push to see which or how many of the three players will return to Texas for another season.

Texas has improving possibilities in the backcourt in the transfer market, so having a much better feel for how things will shake out is needed. While Texas isn’t in a rush to finalize a 2021-2022 roster, the staff does need to know relatively quickly on Coleman and Ramey in order to move forward in the portal in the backcourt.

Oklahoma’s De’Vion Harmon, Rutgers' Jacob Young and Sienna’s Jalen Pickett are in the mix at guard with decisions expected in the next couple of weeks.

In the front court, the decision of Sims plays a key role here. While Timmy Allen will gobble up plenty of quality minutes as a combo forward, the pickings are currently slim on the interior in terms of traditional bigs.

Texas is in the final four for offensively skilled big man Tanner Groves, and versatile 6-8 forward Jacob Groves. But neither are considered strong rebounders and defenders at a high-major level.

Texas is in the final three for Creighton transfer Christian Bishop along with North Carolina and Kansas. Bishop is a 6-7 very athletic power forward, but without the ideal height and face-up ability Texas desires. Robinson is scheduled to announce his decision Saturday.

The Longhorns would absolutely be thrilled if Oklahoma sharp-shooting power forward Brady Manek reconsidered UT and reached back out. North Carolina, Duke, and Stanford are the three under serious consideration right now.

Manek to UNC

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So 7 are in so far. How many more transfers are we targeting and how many is beard gonna carry? 13? 

I have no clue how this guy looks from creighton but I’m hoping he can shoot the three ball. Just once I’d love to be the team that can hit 10-15 threes a game.

Hoping for one of Ramey or Coleman to come back, Sims to come back and at least 1 Grove brother. That’s 10 to 11

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So 7 are in so far. How many more transfers are we targeting and how many is beard gonna carry? 13? 

I have no clue how this guy looks from creighton but I’m hoping he can shoot the three ball. Just once I’d love to be the team that can hit 10-15 threes a game.

I don’t think he’s a face up guy, athletic PF 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hoping for one of Ramey or Coleman to come back, Sims to come back and at least 1 Grove brother. That’s 10 to 11

The GroBros are likely a package deal, so that might change your calculations. Both seem good enough to be worthwhile takes considering Shaka left the cupboard relatively unstocked.

Updated with Bishop:

G Askew/Febres/TBD

G Jones/TBD

G/F Allen/Tyson/TBD

F Bishop/Cunningham 

F TBD/TBD/TBD

Wishlist for the TBDs: Jacob Young, Courtney Ramey, Bryson Williams, Jericho Sims

They are really only one defensively adept big man away from having a roster good enough to make noise.  Unbelievable job by these coaches.

Edited by Snake Diggity

7 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Or the hire is looking strong.

Charlie Strong.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Updated with Bishop:

G Askew/Febres/TBD

G Jones/TBD

G/F Allen/Tyson/TBD

F Bishop/Cunningham 

F TBD/TBD/TBD

Wishlist for the TBDs: Jacob Young, Courtney Ramey, Bryson Williams, Jericho Sims

They are really only one defensively adept big man away from having a roster good enough to make noise.  Unbelievable job by these coaches.

We definitely need another guard if Coleman doesn't return. De'Vion Harmon would be perfect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Akinjo is transferring from Arizona. He was an all PAC-12 point guard this year. If Coleman doesn’t return that’s another option. 

The transfer portal has just completely changed how you approach rosters. Each day another quality player enters the portal. With a good staff you can build a damn good team just off transfers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Bryson Williams is better than both the GroBros. 

Just take him. He's a legit scorer and at 6'8 he can play the 5 in Beard's system. Really, we should be all over Bryson Williams regardless of what happens with Sims. 

Disagree, he looks like a 4 that will struggle at this level. If we didn’t have the two PFs committed, he might be a take.

8 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Disagree, he looks like a 4 that will struggle at this level. If we didn’t have the two PFs committed, he might be a take.

Wait until you see his offer list. Schools are going to line up for him. 

I would say the GroBros are the bigger risk because of their limitations athletically. As Gerry Hamilton discussed earlier today. Not saying they can't be good at this level but neither of the GroBros are considered great defenders/rebounders because of their lack of athleticism. They can score/shoot though. 

If Bishop and Allen are playing the 4, I just don’t see the space. I’ve been wrong before and I will be again. Sims’ decision will loom large here and tell the story. Williams wants to show off his outside game, that’s not typically a 5. Does he really want to come here to be a role player?

Just now, Revolution512 said:

If Bishop and Allen are playing the 4, I just don’t see the space. I’ve been wrong before and I will be again. Sims’ decision will loom large here and tell the story. Williams wants to show off his outside game, that’s not typically a 5. Does he really want to come here to be a role player?

Well, somebody is gonna have to play the 5. Even if Sims comes back somebody else is gonna have to play minutes at the 5. There aren't 7'0 growing on trees in the transfer portal either. 

Williams is 6'8 and a very good rebounder. There isn't much difference in size between Tanner Groves and Williams (plus Williams is the much better athlete). Somebody will have to spin down and play minutes as an undersized 5 unless some random 6'10 to 7'0 center shows up in the portal. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Well, somebody is gonna have to play the 5. Even if Sims comes back somebody else is gonna have to play minutes at the 5. There aren't 7'0 growing on trees in the transfer portal either. 

Williams is 6'8 and a very good rebounder. There isn't much difference in size between Tanner Groves and Williams (plus Williams is the much better athlete). Somebody will have to spin down and play minutes as an undersized 5 unless some random 6'10 to 7'0 center shows up in the portal. 

How big was Baylor’s 5?

How big was Houston’s 5?

I’m not sure that you need to have a 6’10” or taller 5 to win in the NCAA regular season or tournament. 

In Tech’s Elite 8 run they didn’t have a major contributor who was over 6’5. But... they had a ton of those 6’5 guys who could switch on every screen and were a nightmare defensively.

I’m not worried at all about trying to find a 6’10 center. We may not even have a center.

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I know he can be serviceable, my question is why come here to be a role player when he’s been a green light player?  Seems like an odd choice for the young man but I’d be all for it 

22 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I know he can be serviceable, my question is why come here to be a role player when he’s been a green light player?  Seems like an odd choice for the young man but I’d be all for it 

No clue what Williams wants but if he wanted to be the guy he would have stayed at UTEP. 

Some guys want to win. Even if he doesn't pick Texas (assuming they want him) it seems like Williams will be picking a bigger school where he has a smaller role. 

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

In Tech’s Elite 8 run they didn’t have a major contributor who was over 6’5. But... they had a ton of those 6’5 guys who could switch on every screen and were a nightmare defensively.

I’m not worried at all about trying to find a 6’10 center. We may not even have a center.

The issue is shooting and spacing when you have both of your forwards below 30% from the 3 point line, not to mention Askew who could be potentially starting as well. If Sims comes back we could be monstrous defensively but we'd absolutely need Bishop coming off the bench because we'll just have the paint stuffed against us. Groves might be the priority just to have a functioning offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

Tariq Owens says howdy.

• Hook 'Em 1