Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Hoops: The updated roster and the portal

Spoiler

Chris Beard and staff are getting very close to putting together a roster that will be ranked among the top 10 teams in the nation headed into the 2021-22 season.

This week alone, the Longhorns have added four key pieces with Beard and staff meeting with the families of Jericho Sims, Courtney Ramey and Matt Coleman over the weekend.

The run of great news began Tuesday with the announcement by Andrew Jones that he would return for a final season in Austin. The leading scorer for the Longhorns last season had 21 games of scoring in double figures last season, including 11 of 15 or more.

The Jones news was followed with the news that Kentucky freshman combo guard Devin Askew would be transferring to Texas. The former top 40 recruit coming out of Mater Dei High didn't have the type of freshman campaign the majoirty expected, but the Texas staff believes the 6-foot-3 combo guard will make big strides in Austin.

Thew continued to get better Tuesday night with the announcement by All-Pac12 first team forward Timmy Allen announcing that he would also transfer and play for the Longhorns. Allen recently completed a second straight season of averaging 17 points or more for Utah.

Friday, Creighton transfer power forward Christian Bishop committed to Texas over finalists Kansas and North Carolina. The 6-foot-7 high riser is expected to expand his offensive game under Beard and staff, while continuing to be a versatile defender that can guard multiple positions.

What the current roster of seven has in spades is high-major experience with only incoming freshman sharp-shooter Jaylon Tyson having zero college experience.

Current roster high-major experience:
CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21)
-25 games played, including 20 starts

SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21)
-102 games played, including 68 starts

SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21)
-104 games played, including 62 starts

G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6

F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21)
-41 games played with one start

F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)
-85 games played, including 82 starts

PF Christian Bishop, 6-7 (11.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks in 2020-21)
-90 games played, including 62 starts

Possible to return:
PG Matt Coleman, 6-1 (13.2 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists in 2020-21)

CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Not likely to return:
F Greg Brown, 6-9 (9.3 points, 6.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Key transfers still in play:
PG De’Vion Harmon, 6-1, Oklahoma (12.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.1 steals in 2020-21)

CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)

PG Jalen Pickett, 6-3, Sienna (12.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists in 2020-21)

F Jacob Groves, 6-8, Eastern Washington (9.3 points, 4.3 rebounds in 2020-21)

PF Tanner Groves, 6-9, Eastern Washington (17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds in 2020-21)

PF Bryson Williams, 6-8, UTEP (15.1 points, 7.4 rebounds in 2020-21)

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah of the 3 who could come back, Coleman would surprise me most. Think Sims and Ramey will be back. 

Ramey would be crazy to leave. A junk yard dog on a Beard team? He will thrive defensively. 

Askew + Pickett/Harmon at PG would be just fine. I would think Beard is smart enough to keep Ramey from handling the ball too much. Getting PTSD thinking about it. 

Edited by Js1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah of the 3 who could come back, Coleman would surprise me most. Think Sims and Ramey will be back. 

Ramey would be crazy to leave. A junk yard dog on a Beard team? He will thrive defensively. 

Askew + Pickett/Harmon at PG would be just fine. I would think Beard is smart enough to keep Ramey from handling the ball too much. Getting PTSD thinking about it. 

I think Harmon is actually better than Coleman. At least more upside because Harmon was only a Sophomore last year. 

Harmon is the best player out of all the transfers we're still after so I hope his OU connection doesn't prevent that from happening. 

Edited by texasstrong12

47 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Hoops: The updated roster and the portal

Hide contents

Chris Beard and staff are getting very close to putting together a roster that will be ranked among the top 10 teams in the nation headed into the 2021-22 season.

This week alone, the Longhorns have added four key pieces with Beard and staff meeting with the families of Jericho Sims, Courtney Ramey and Matt Coleman over the weekend.

The run of great news began Tuesday with the announcement by Andrew Jones that he would return for a final season in Austin. The leading scorer for the Longhorns last season had 21 games of scoring in double figures last season, including 11 of 15 or more.

The Jones news was followed with the news that Kentucky freshman combo guard Devin Askew would be transferring to Texas. The former top 40 recruit coming out of Mater Dei High didn't have the type of freshman campaign the majoirty expected, but the Texas staff believes the 6-foot-3 combo guard will make big strides in Austin.

Thew continued to get better Tuesday night with the announcement by All-Pac12 first team forward Timmy Allen announcing that he would also transfer and play for the Longhorns. Allen recently completed a second straight season of averaging 17 points or more for Utah.

Friday, Creighton transfer power forward Christian Bishop committed to Texas over finalists Kansas and North Carolina. The 6-foot-7 high riser is expected to expand his offensive game under Beard and staff, while continuing to be a versatile defender that can guard multiple positions.

What the current roster of seven has in spades is high-major experience with only incoming freshman sharp-shooter Jaylon Tyson having zero college experience.

Current roster high-major experience:
CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21)
-25 games played, including 20 starts

SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21)
-102 games played, including 68 starts

SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21)
-104 games played, including 62 starts

G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6

F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21)
-41 games played with one start

F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)
-85 games played, including 82 starts

PF Christian Bishop, 6-7 (11.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks in 2020-21)
-90 games played, including 62 starts

Possible to return:
PG Matt Coleman, 6-1 (13.2 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists in 2020-21)

CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Not likely to return:
F Greg Brown, 6-9 (9.3 points, 6.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Key transfers still in play:
PG De’Vion Harmon, 6-1, Oklahoma (12.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.1 steals in 2020-21)

CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)

PG Jalen Pickett, 6-3, Sienna (12.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists in 2020-21)

F Jacob Groves, 6-8, Eastern Washington (9.3 points, 4.3 rebounds in 2020-21)

PF Tanner Groves, 6-9, Eastern Washington (17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds in 2020-21)

PF Bryson Williams, 6-8, UTEP (15.1 points, 7.4 rebounds in 2020-21)

Ramey, Sims, any 1 of those guards, and any 1 addl viable big man makes this a Top 15 roster in terms of talent level.

46 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Harmon is actually better than Coleman. At least more upside because Harmon was only a Sophomore last year. 

Harmon is the best player out of all the transfers we're still after so I hope his OU connection doesn't prevent that from happening. 

Fully agree.  His sister being at Texas may or may not be a significant consideration for him - she'll be on campus this summer.

9 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Fully agree.  His sister being at Texas may or may not be a significant consideration for him - she'll be on campus this summer.

His OU bio does not list a sister?

PERSONAL: Born in Plano, Texas…Son of Deon and LaQuita Harmon…Has one younger brother, Deuce…Plans to major in broadcast journalism.

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Rori Harmon (Texas WBB signee) is related but I don't think they're brother/sister. Think they're cousins. 

Makes more sense then. He’s from Plano and she’s in Cypress. Could still help! 

33 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'd be more surprised by Coleman coming back than I would be by GBIII coming back.  

Yeah- he really should come back.  He’s not a first rounder, right?  He should see if real coaching improves his stock- it’s not completely horrible to have a sophomore year. Not

ideal but not going to tank his draft status or anything. 

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah- he really should come back.  He’s not a first rounder, right?  He should see if real coaching improves his stock- it’s not completely horrible to have a sophomore year. Not

He definitely shouldn't come back lmao. He's 23 coming off of a good year, he'll likely get a 2 way contract or at worst a solid deal overseas. Coming back for another year isn't going to change his pro perception, it's not going to make him grow a couple inches or make him more athletic.

2 minutes ago, Teryor said:

He definitely shouldn't come back lmao. He's 23 coming off of a good year, he'll likely get a 2 way contract or at worst a solid deal overseas. Coming back for another year isn't going to change his pro perception, it's not going to make him grow a couple inches or make him more athletic.

He meant GB3

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Gerry is listing Bryson Williams now so I guess that means Texas wants him. I would be surprised if he isn't a Longhorn because of his connection with Terry. 

Looking at the IT post, there is no reason to not take Bryson Williams and the GroBros. All 3 would easily be the tallest players on the team. It's great they can score, but you have to believe Beard can get them to play defense and rebound.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Looking at the IT post, there is no reason to not take Bryson Williams and the GroBros. All 3 would easily be the tallest players on the team. It's great they can score, but you have to believe Beard can get them to play defense and rebound.

I think a lot depends on Sims. Williams is probably getting minutes at the 5 if he comes to Texas. I can't see somebody like Tanner Groves wanting to be the 3rd guy at the 5. 

The Groves and Williams idea makes more sense if Sims doesn't return. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He meant GB3

Yep, my bad. GB3 should explore the draft process, see if he can get a promise in the 1st round, and if not, it's almost definitely in his best interest to come back. I won't be surprised if he goes regardless to start his career and basically betting on himself to his 1st free agency. He'll be a decent pick (top 45) basically no matter what based off his pedigree, athleticism, and upside.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I think a lot depends on Sims. Williams is probably getting minutes at the 5 if he comes to Texas. I can't see somebody like Tanner Groves wanting to be the 3rd guy at the 5. 

The Groves and Williams idea makes more sense if Sims doesn't return. 

I wholeheartedly agree. From what we've already seen from Beard, he's not fucking around. We see it with regards to the portal players he has brought in. So I tend to believe he's made his pitch to Shaka's players and Beard already knows who he has to work with from that merry band of misfits. I am assuming that Sims doesn't return. I feel if Sims were going to, we would have heard by now. Just to give a timeframe, Beard was hired on April 1st and today is April 17th.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I was talking about Greg Brown. He said he though Brown was more likely to come back than Coleman and I agreed and was talking about Brown- this the comment about having a sophomore year not being a draft status killer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Yep, my bad. GB3 should explore the draft process, see if he can get a promise in the 1st round, and if not, it's almost definitely in his best interest to come back. I won't be surprised if he goes regardless to start his career and basically betting on himself to his 1st free agency. He'll be a decent pick (top 45) basically no matter what based off his pedigree, athleticism, and upside.

Look- I understand what you are saying. But second round money isn’t guaranteed and most of those guys don’t have a career- plus the team has little to nothing invested in them and they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. You can have a solid career as a second round guy, but it’s not super likely and it’s against the norm. If you have upside athletic talent and a situation that you don’t hate I don’t see the point in being a second round guy if some development and another year in college can make you a first. 
mid you have first round guaranteed money waiting for you then go every time. 
unless staying could make you a legend that you will dine out on and get taken care of for life (like TJ coming back for his sophomore year) by your school then that makes sense too. 
God I love TJ. 

36 minutes ago, Teryor said:

This also applies to Sims. I’d love for him to come back, but I don’t think it will help him a ton nba wise given his age. 

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- I understand what you are saying. But second round money isn’t guaranteed and most of those guys don’t have a career- plus the team has little to nothing invested in them and they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. You can have a solid career as a second round guy, but it’s not super likely and it’s against the norm. If you have upside athletic talent and a situation that you don’t hate I don’t see the point in being a second round guy if some development and another year in college can make you a first. 
mid you have first round guaranteed money waiting for you then go every time. 
unless staying could make you a legend that you will dine out on and get taken care of for life (like TJ coming back for his sophomore year) by your school then that makes sense too. 
God I love TJ. 

If GB3 can get a first round guarantee, he should go, but it’s tough because right now he’s right on the border of 1st or 2nd round. Not an enviable position, it’s a tough decision.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I would be highly surprised if he doesn’t go in the first round. Especially after he jumps

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I would be highly surprised if he doesn’t go in the first round. Especially after he jumps

His dunk over the Baylor guy before the glare followed by the technical is show in the preamble to ESPN’s Top 10 plays of the day. 

Every night!

Several times per night. 

The word might be out about his athletic ability. 

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Everyone I’ve heard throughout the season has the arrow pointed down on his stock. His tape is going to suck. I know it’s a potential thing for the draft and I have zero opinion on what his draft status will be. My argument was purely if/then... 

2 hours ago, Teryor said:

He was referring to GBIII.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Everyone I’ve heard throughout the season has the arrow pointed down on his stock. His tape is going to suck. I know it’s a potential thing for the draft and I have zero opinion on what his draft status will be. My argument was purely if/then... 

You're absolutely not wrong at all. His tape is awful. But it’s the NBA and they don’t care about that at all. He will be one of the best jumpers in the class, he’s 6’8” or 6’9”. He can make the three some and he’s a good rebounder. He has the mold for a rim running stretch 4 or a small ball corner three 5. Plus as good of a coach as Beard is, GB3 will get better talent development in the G league and NBA. Plus if you bust it’s not like he can’t go make a ton of money overseas

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

His dunk over the Baylor guy before the glare followed by the technical is show in the preamble to ESPN’s Top 10 plays of the day. 

Every night!

Several times per night. 

The word might be out about his athletic ability. 

And that’s why he’s going to be a first rounder barring some poor jumping numbers