Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

Brown needs to come back and develop a game. If he does that and becomes a high draft pick, his contract should make up for the difference from what he would get coming out now if the info that he will be drafted in the second half of the first round is accurate. Also the NBA is full of great athletes but there is no guarantee of a second contract.

You want to contribute as quickly as is possible. The G league is certainly an option but starting in the league and staying there is a better one. I hope the young man sees that. Assuming that I am correct in my assessment.  

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- I understand what you are saying. But second round money isn’t guaranteed and most of those guys don’t have a career- plus the team has little to nothing invested in them and they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. You can have a solid career as a second round guy, but it’s not super likely and it’s against the norm. If you have upside athletic talent and a situation that you don’t hate I don’t see the point in being a second round guy if some development and another year in college can make you a first. 
mid you have first round guaranteed money waiting for you then go every time. 
unless staying could make you a legend that you will dine out on and get taken care of for life (like TJ coming back for his sophomore year) by your school then that makes sense too. 
God I love TJ. 

This is no longer true anymore.  Nowadays if you're a picked within the top 40-45 you get a guaranteed deal or a guaranteed portion of your contract.  While obviously 1st rounders are still the only guys who have their contracts explicitly guaranteed by the CBA, teams have begun to value early 2nd round picks and therefore have started guaranteeing their deals as a result.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is no longer true anymore.  Nowadays if you're a picked within the top 40-45 you get a guaranteed deal or a guaranteed portion of your contract.  While obviously 1st rounders are still the only guys who have their contracts explicitly guaranteed by the CBA, teams have begun to value early 2nd round picks and therefore have started guaranteeing their deals as a result.  

Yeah- but that guarantee is pretty team friendly. Morey kind of pioneered that with the rockets. I think if you succeed as a second rounder you would be better off not taking the guarantee. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Brown is probably going to be a late first rounder. That's where most the mock drafts him. 

I don't know if the money justifies it but seems like he would have a great chance to improve his draft stock with an expected 2nd year jump similar to Kai Jones. The question is does the money justify returning to go from a late first rounder to a potential lottery pick? 

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Brown is probably going to be a late first rounder. That's where most the mock drafts him. 

I don't know if the money justifies it but seems like he would have a great chance to improve his draft stock with an expected 2nd year jump similar to Kai Jones. The question is does the money justify returning to go from a late first rounder to a potential lottery pick? 

A recent mock draft (4 days ago) has Kai Jones at 8 and GB3 at 35.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-stock-ncaa-tournament-davion-mitchell-jalen-suggs

• Hook 'Em 1

One positive thing about being picked late in the first round is that you generally go to better teams. That said, I have seen updated mock drafts still showing Greg Brown as high as the #12 pick and as low as #45. He could literally go anywhere.

One I was looking at had Kai Jones at #8 (Toronto) and Greg Brown at #27 (Brooklyn). That seems reasonable to me and would be great spots for both of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

This also applies to Sims. I’d love for him to come back, but I don’t think it will help him a ton nba wise given his age. 

Sims girlfriend is a Texas soccer player. He's always posting IG stories with her in it. 

So the Texas soccer team coming in for an assist here (hopefully). 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would buy 20-25 to start the year for this team at this moment. Every new addition or returning player bumps us up a few spots. 

Top 15 if we get Ramey and Sims back. If we had Williams and/or the Groves or GB3 back (somehow...), top 10 to start the year. 

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean if sims comes back and Williams commits he would be coming off the bench here and will start at BLoWu.

Williams is the much better player than Groves. As Gerry Hamilton pointed out, Groves is a scorer but he's a liability on the defensive end/rebounding because of his lack of athleticism. 

Hopefully, we land Williams but I'm fairly certain he was the target once he hit the portal. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

What coach would willingly sign up for this shit? It's one thing for fans to get epic butthurt but it's a pretty pathetic statement from a higher-up university official. Prideless and dickless is no way to go through life, my dude.

Edited by Bevo14

21 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

What coach would willingly sign up for this shit? It's one thing for fans to get epic butthurt but it's a pretty pathetic statement from a higher-up university official. Prideless and dickless is no way to go through life, my dude.

I hope my admin would offer a lifetime contract to a coach they didn’t even trust and never liked 😂😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not trying to be that guy that says we didn’t really want him because he’s at ou now, but that’s basically what I am saying.

In the past in both football and basketball,  this usually meant the guy would go on to be a first round pick. I’m hopeful that’s no longer the case. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

On 4/17/2021 at 6:15 PM, realgreggym said:

Brown needs to come back and develop a game. If he does that and becomes a high draft pick, his contract should make up for the difference from what he would get coming out now if the info that he will be drafted in the second half of the first round is accurate. Also the NBA is full of great athletes but there is no guarantee of a second contract.

You want to contribute as quickly as is possible. The G league is certainly an option but starting in the league and staying there is a better one. I hope the young man sees that. Assuming that I am correct in my assessment.  

The economics aren’t about the first contract, they’re about the second one. If you believe you’re going to be a max guy (which dudes like GB all do, right or wrong), getting to that second contract a year early will make up the first contract “loss” by a considerable margin....

36 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

The economics aren’t about the first contract, they’re about the second one. If you believe you’re going to be a max guy (which dudes like GB all do, right or wrong), getting to that second contract a year early will make up the first contract “loss” by a considerable margin....

I don't disagree but there are no guarantees of a second contract. I read that Jabari Parker, the number 2 pick in the draft a few years ago

just signed his second contract with Boston. Supposedly its for 2 years for I think about 2 million. The article didn't give a specific amount.

Instead it said something like if he is still on the team in July he gets 100k. If he does this and that, he gets another amount. It didn't sound too 

too promising but maybe someone saw a specific number.  The Williams kid from Arizona who was also a number 2 pick a couple of years

earlier was on 5 different teams in 5 years and his second contract was a 10 day contract with Cleveland. Hopefully he signed another one 

that was better. I agree that you play for a second contract but how you play during your first contract determines a second one. You're right about

GB and I hope it works out for him.

6 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Questions of character? After what Tech did to Leach. L-O-Fucking-L!

30 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I don't disagree but there are no guarantees of a second contract. I read that Jabari Parker, the number 2 pick in the draft a few years ago

just signed his second contract with Boston. Supposedly its for 2 years for I think about 2 million. The article didn't give a specific amount.

Instead it said something like if he is still on the team in July he gets 100k. If he does this and that, he gets another amount. It didn't sound too 

too promising but maybe someone saw a specific number.  The Williams kid from Arizona who was also a number 2 pick a couple of years

earlier was on 5 different teams in 5 years and his second contract was a 10 day contract with Cleveland. Hopefully he signed another one 

that was better. I agree that you play for a second contract but how you play during your first contract determines a second one. You're right about

GB and I hope it works out for him.

Jabari Parker has had multiple contracts throughout his career and has made over $55 million in career earnings.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/jabari-parker-15354/cash-earnings/

Screenshot_20210419-163212_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Jabari Parker has had multiple contracts throughout his career and has made over $55 million in career earnings.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/jabari-parker-15354/cash-earnings/

Screenshot_20210419-163212_Samsung Internet.jpg

How many of those years was his first contract? If Boston was his second contract, its not promising

which I think is the point of this discussion, getting to the second contract. If his second contract was before 

he signed with Boston,  then it probably worked out well for him.

13 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

How many of those years was his first contract? If Boston was his second contract, its not promising

which I think is the point of this discussion, getting to the second contract. If his second contract was before 

he signed with Boston,  then it probably worked out well for him.

14-18 (Milwaukee Bucks) was his 1st contract.  

I believe he tore up his knee once or twice during his 4 year rookie deal then signed a 1yr $20 million deal with Chicago with a team option for a 2nd year and was traded to Washington before that year was up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

14-18 (Milwaukee Bucks) was his 1st contract.  

I believe he tore up his knee once or twice during his 4 year rookie deal then signed a 1yr $20 million deal with Chicago with a team option for a 2nd year and was traded to Washington before that year was up. 

Maybe GBIII can go straight to Chicago and bypass his first contract. Whatever he decides, I hope it works out for him. Thanks for the info..  

Mike Roach on Harmon

Spoiler

— I spoke with sources close to De'Vion Harmon today. While I don't usually dabble in basketball recruiting, I do happen to have some sources in this one. The Oklahoma guard is looking to transfer and Texas is at the top of the list for him right now. Harmon is looking for a system that fits his style and can help him reach the NBA. He's also keeping a close eye on where transfers are showing up and which players are returning. Harmon and his family had a Zoom call with Texas today that was described as very positive and Chris Beard recruited Harmon out of high school. At this point, the recruitment could hinge on if Matt Coleman returns or not. If he does, Texas would likely be eliminated. Oregon is the other front runner and probably the slight favorite at the moment as new assistant Chris Crutchfield was one of the main reasons Harmon picked Oklahoma originally. The Sooners are also in the picture along with BYU. There is no timeline at the moment for a decision.

• Hook 'Em 2

FCB on Brown, Coleman, and Sims

Spoiler

— Texas 6-foot-9 forward Greg Brown, who averaged 9.3 points and 6.2 rebounds as a freshman for the Longhorns last season, is still weighing his options about whether to enter the NBA Draft or return to UT under new coach Chris Beard, a source close to Brown told Horns247.

The source said there was no chance Brown would've returned to Texas if there hadn't been a coaching change following Shaka Smart's decision to leave after six seasons as coach of the Longhorns to take over at Marquette.

"Not a chance," the source said.

But with Beard's hire as coach at Texas, Brown is seriously considering a return to Texas.

"There's definitely a chance," the source said. "He's figuring that out right now. He loves the hire (of Beard) - absolutely loves it."

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NBA Draft is May 31.

Brown, the No. 9-ranked high school prospect in the country by 247Sports, turned down a $300,000 offer from the NBA's G-League coming out of Austin Vandergrift a year ago to go to Texas.

Nine games into his freshman year, Brown was averaging 12.7 points and 7.1 rebounds, coming off a career-high 24 points in a 77-74 win over Oklahoma State. But toward the end of the season, Brown's minutes and production dropped. Brown played only 8.3 minutes per game for Texas in the Longhorns' last three games of the season, including six minutes in a first-round NCAA Tournament loss to Abilene Christian.

It was reminiscent of former Longhorn freshman Myles Turner playing only nine minutes in a first-round, NCAA Tournament upset loss to Butler under Rick Barnes. That turned out to be Turner's last game at UT before he moved on to the NBA. We'll see if Brown follows the footsteps of Turner or returns to Texas for a fresh start under Beard.

— Along with Greg Brown, 6-foot-10 power forward Jericho Sims, point guard Matt Coleman and junior guard Courtney Ramey have yet to announce if they will be joining returning Texas teammates - guard Andrew Jones, wing Jase Febres and small forward Brock Cunningham - in Austin next season.

New coach Chris Beard said last week he's been touch with all of those players and felt optimistic about the return "of a couple of those guys."

According to sources, like Brown, there was little chance Sims and Coleman would've returned to Texas if there hadn't been a coaching change - from Shaka Smart to Chris Beard - following last season. Both Sims and Coleman would've taken their chances in the NBA Draft and moved on to professional basketball - either in the NBA or abroad, sources said.

But sources told Horns247 Sims and Coleman are also seriously considering a return to Texas - putting the odds at "50-50."

Ramey is expected to return but has been hard to read. Since the season ended, Ramey has been taking classes online from Dallas and hasn't been a part of the NCAA-allowed two hours of workout time per week with Beard and his new staff, sources said.

Beard has signed three Division I transfers — former Utah forward Timmy Allen, former Kentucky point guard Devin Askew and former Creighton forward Christian Bishop — to athletic scholarship agreements for the 2021-22 season in addition to signing 6-foot-6, four-star guard/forward Jaylon Tyson of Plano John Paul II, the 35th-ranked prospect in 2021, according to the 247Sports Composite ranking.

• Hook 'Em 1

I find it hard to believe Brown would come back given the additions of Allen and Bishop.  It makes a ton of sense for Ramey to come back.  And I can see good reason for Sims to return.  Coleman is hard to pin; there’s certainly a place for him on the roster but odds of it benefitting him professionally are low.