Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Just be less sensitive when people say what conference he played in without any implication that it’s somehow the best conference.  

I'm pretty sure neither of us are being sensitive, but if you want to pretend that you didn't say that he had put up numbers "for an SEC program" because it was supposed to be impressive then that's fine. I'll play along.

• Haha 1

Damn, Beard is not playing around.  This might be our best and deepest roster in a very, very long time. I cannot wait for basketball season to start.  Back in the 2000s before Barnes lost his fastball, Texas basketball was almost as important to my sports viewing as Texas football.  I bet I have not watched 5 games during the Shaka era.

• Rage+1 1

I mean, it wasn't a pretty 6 years, but I can think of at least 5+ games that were super enjoyable to watch.  A lot of them involved beating UNC/OU, which is so fun to do. 

• 2015 vs. #3 UNC - Javan Felix buzzer beater
  • 2015 vs. #3/4 OU - 22-0 run to come back and win
  • 2017 vs. TCU - 2OT win on the day we found out about Andrew Jones' leukemia - TCU layup to win just rolled off the rim
  • 2018 vs. 7/6 UNC
  • 2020 vs. #14/16 UNC  - Coleman buzzer beater to win the Maui Invitational
  • 2020 vs. OU - Coleman buzzer beater banked shot to beat OU
  • 2021 @ #3/4 KU - fucking dominated them in Lawrence and their worst home loss ever
  • 2021 @ #14/16 WVU - AJ1 in the corner
  • 2021 Big 12 tournament championship vs. OSU
Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I would take landing Disu over losing Greg Brown any day. We now have elite players at every position except PG, I think. I don't trust Ramey to play that position having seen him panic and turning over under pressure so many times. I am not sure you can teach someone to play point if you don't have the natural skillset. Who are going to play PG next season? Askew and Ramey? Is there anyone in the portal we are targeting? 

if we land disu that would be awesome.  he's what we hoped greg brown would be (without the etlite athletic talent).  to me he's the most exciting transfer out of all of them.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

TexasStrong posted Nick Harris saying his prediction is Disu, Sims and Ramey returning, Devante Jones and Ongenda

So:

PG: Askew/D. Jones
G: Ramey/A. Jones/Febres
G/F: Allen/Tyson/Cunningham
F: Bishop/Disu
C : Sims/Ongenda

Sign Me Up GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

That is as close to a dream team as you could get in today’s college basketball landscape.  Fuckin a.

Edited by Snake Diggity

@justhookit

Man, this thread is great. The whole board in fact! Shit, I never even knew this was here!

Thank you so much for introducing me to this verdant wonderland of possibility. As a thank you, I'd love to post this gif, both because CTJ fucking LOVES gifs as well as an auger to how I'm going to spend my time here.

tenor.gif?itemid=10255065

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I mean, it wasn't a pretty 6 years, but I can think of at least 5+ games that were super enjoyable to watch.  A lot of them involved beating UNC/OU, which is so fun to do. 

• 2015 vs. #3 UNC - Javan Felix buzzer beater
  • 2015 vs. #3/4 OU - 22-0 run to come back and win
  • 2017 vs. TCU - 2OT win on the day we found out about Andrew Jones' leukemia - TCU layup to win just rolled off the rim
  • 2018 vs. 7/6 UNC
  • 2020 vs. #14/16 UNC  - Coleman buzzer beater to win the Maui Invitational
  • 2020 vs. OU - Coleman buzzer beater banked shot to beat OU
  • 2021 @ #3/4 KU - fucking dominated them in Lawrence and their worst home loss ever
  • 2021 @ #14/16 WVU - AJ1 in the corner
  • 2021 Big 12 tournament championship vs. OSU

That 22-0 run against OU punctuated by Roach’s breakaway dunk was one of my top 10 fun games ever at the FEC...

• Hook 'Em 3

Isaiah Taylor could have been an all-time Longhorn fan favorite were he not stuck right in the middle of the Barnes/Smart transition. That dude had so much heart, and played with the grit, determination, and speed of young TJ. i will forever point to his FTA numbers when discussing UT guards and their ability/inability to take over close games. that dude got to the rim time and time again in crucial situations. one of the few guys we've had recently who was almost always worth the price of admission. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That 22-0 run against OU punctuated by Roach’s breakaway dunk was one of my top 10 fun games ever at the FEC...

Beating UH in Las Cruces. I believe we were 20 point underdogs.

Beating Memphis State at their place the year they got to the finals against UCLA and Walton.

Coming back from 17 down at halftime at the Holler House to win going away,

Beating Baylor at the HOT to clinch the SWC championship.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Isaiah Taylor could have been an all-time Longhorn fan favorite were he not stuck right in the middle of the Barnes/Smart transition. That dude had so much heart, and played with the grit, determination, and speed of young TJ. i will forever point to his FTA numbers when discussing UT guards and their ability/inability to take over close games. that dude got to the rim time and time again in crucial situations. one of the few guys we've had recently who was almost always worth the price of admission. 

That twisting drive into the paint against Northern Iowa down by 2 was one of the most clutch shots in UT history. Unfortunately it was lost to history/memory seconds later....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That twisting drive into the paint against Northern Iowa down by 2 was one of the most clutch shots in UT history. Unfortunately it was lost to history/memory seconds later....

RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

3 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Beating UH in Las Cruces. I believe we were 20 point underdogs.

Beating Memphis State at their place the year they got to the finals against UCLA and Walton.

Coming back from 17 down at halftime at the Holler House to win going away,

Beating Baylor at the HOT to clinch the SWC championship.

Were they playing basketball indoors by this point?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Were they playing basketball indoors by this point?

yes but we still had peach baskets. That game against Baylor, we kicked the crap out of them, 18-12. We were running Shaka's offense before he did.

BTW, you have been demoted and are now Pvt 1st Class Slaughter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

With 2,000 players in the transfer portal, nobody really knows how any teams this year are going to come together.  To help compare this team to other teams past and present, I thought I would build a model based on the individual player ratings likely contribution.  We can then sum up the top-8 players and compare to other teams. 

If there is enough interest in the topic, we can move it to another thread and add some additional teams for comparison.  As a starting point, for my grading scale I’ll use the following:

• 100 – Player of the Year candidate
  • 97 – All-American
  • 95 – All-Conference 1st Team
  • 93 – All-Conference 2nd Team
  • 90 – All-Conference 3rd Team
  • 88 – All-Conf Hon Mention / Def Team
  • 85 – Starter on top-25 team
  • 80 – Starter on bad team / Major bench contributor on top-25 team
  • 75 – Solid role-player
  • <70 – Non-factor

For this year, I used their points from last year and then added 2-5 points to reflect another year of maturity, coaching, etc.  I didn’t account for having less usage on a new team or anything like that.  In bold are players that I think/hope will sign, but your guess is as good as mine.  Notes are their 2021 accomplishments.

Texas 2022 – Top-8: 727 pts

• 95 – Timmy Allen: PF – 1st Team PAC-12
  • 95 – Andrew Jones: SG/SF – 2nd Team Big-12
  • 93 – DeVante Jones: PG – Sun Belt PoY (Coastal Carolina)
  • 93 – Courtney Ramey: SG – 3rd Team Big-12
  • 90 – Jericho Sims: PF/C – Hon Mention Big-12
  • 88 – Dylan Disu: PF/C – SEC Rebounding leader
  • 87 – Devin Askew: PG – Starter for bad UK
  • 86 – Christian Bishop: SF – Starter for #19 Creighton
  • 83 – Jaylon Tyson:  SF –  #34 National Recruit, 4-star
  • 78 – Brock Cunningham: SF/PF - Major role player
  • 75 – Jase Febres: SG/SF - Role player

Other Potential Players

• 95 – Sahvir Wheeler:  PG – 2nd Team SEC
  • 93 – Matt Coleman:  PG – 3rd Team Big-12
  • 93 – Greg Brown: SF/PF – Hon Mention Big-12
  • 88 - De’Vion Harmon: PG/SG – OU starter
  • 88 - Bryson Williams (UTEP): PF – 1st Team C-USA
  • 87 – Jacob Young: PG – Rutgers starter
  • 82 – Nick Ongenda: C – DePaul role player
  • Hook 'Em 4

For comparison purposes, here is how I would have rated Baylor going into the 2021 season:

Baylor - 2021 - Top 8: 695 Points.  But that top-5 tho...

• 98 - Jared Butler - 1st Team Big-12 / Wooden Finalist
  • 95 - MaCio Teague - 2nd Team Big-12
  • 93 - Davion Mitchell - 3rd Team Big-12 / All Defense
  • 93 - Mark Vital - 3rd Team Big-12 / All Defense
  • 88 - Adam Flagler - Big South Fresh of Year
  • 80 - LJ Cryer - #83 National Recruit, 4-Star
  • 75 - Matthew Mayer - Decent role player
  • 73 - Jordan Turner - #143 National Recruit, 3-Star
  • 70 - Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua - UNLV role Player
  • 70 - Flo Thamba - Minor role player
  • 70 - Zach Loveday - Minor role player

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

For comparison purposes, here is how I would have rated Baylor going into the 2021 season:

Baylor - 2021 - Top 8: 695 Points.  But that top-5 tho...

• 98 - Jared Butler - 1st Team Big-12 / Wooden Finalist
  • 95 - MaCio Teague - 2nd Team Big-12
  • 93 - Davion Mitchell - 3rd Team Big-12 / All Defense
  • 93 - Mark Vital - 3rd Team Big-12 / All Defense
  • 88 - Adam Flagler - Big South Fresh of Year
  • 80 - LJ Cryer - #83 National Recruit, 4-Star
  • 75 - Matthew Mayer - Decent role player
  • 73 - Jordan Turner - #143 National Recruit, 3-Star
  • 70 - Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua - UNLV role Player
  • 70 - Flo Thamba - Minor role player
  • 70 - Zach Loveday - Minor role player

I appreciate the effort but freshman additions are going to invalidate the whole effort. Google Chet Holmgren. Absolute stud for Gonzaga. And they get Hunter Sallis.  Nearly the same thing for Duke. 

34 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

I appreciate the effort but freshman additions are going to invalidate the whole effort. Google Chet Holmgren. Absolute stud for Gonzaga. And they get Hunter Sallis.  Nearly the same thing for Duke. 

Of course.  Freshmen get a rating corresponding to how they are expected to do this year.  (I gave Jaylon Tyson an 83 for reference).  I would probably give Chet Holmgren something like a 95.  Almost certain to be an all-conference player.

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

also, using his points system, the kid from Coastal Carolina isn't worth much less than the best player in the nation. i'd spread those points out a little further to make the ratings a little more accurate. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 4:45 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I’m sorry, who are you again?

Also, I never come here. Until you tagged me. I generally stay on the recruiting board. So congratulations on all your success. 

Your welcome. And I just waded through the last 2 pages of the 2022 football recruiting thread and it was a beating. This board would be better if you and ctj frequented it more often.

• Haha 1

I need professional help.  I read that as "have a West Coast presence by playing in NYC based events" and thought, "We have the dumbest fucking coaches."

Yes, I agree with Coach Beard.  He will accomplish the NYC thing next year by playing in late November in a 2-game tourney with Virginia, UCLA, and Northwestern.  It will be played at Barclay's Arena the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving and hopefully that same week, Durant's Brooklyn Nets will have a game there as well.  

Would be great to have a one-off neutral site game with somebody in Southern Cal or the Bay Area.  Hartzell would greenlight the funds for that in a heartbeat as our alumni out there are starving for more events and connectivity.  

I know non-conf. games in hoops, with fellow power conference teams, have to be scheduled close to a year in advance.  But if we could time something out West where it would coincide with a Longhorn NBA player on the Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Trailblazers, etc. having a game the night before or the night after---would be such a boost to Beard's efforts to get our huge number of former 'Horns in the NBA more engaged and make the trip more fun for alumni to see two games.  I dunno.  I know UNC tried something like this awhile back.  

51 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I need professional help.  I read that as "have a West Coast presence by playing in NYC based events" and thought, "We have the dumbest fucking coaches."

Yes, I agree with Coach Beard.  He will accomplish the NYC thing next year by playing in late November in a 2-game tourney with Virginia, UCLA, and Northwestern.  It will be played at Barclay's Arena the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving and hopefully that same week, Durant's Brooklyn Nets will have a game there as well.  

Would be great to have a one-off neutral site game with somebody in Southern Cal or the Bay Area.  Hartzell would greenlight the funds for that in a heartbeat as our alumni out there are starving for more events and connectivity.  

I know non-conf. games in hoops, with fellow power conference teams, have to be scheduled close to a year in advance.  But if we could time something out West where it would coincide with a Longhorn NBA player on the Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Trailblazers, etc. having a game the night before or the night after---would be such a boost to Beard's efforts to get our huge number of former 'Horns in the NBA more engaged and make the trip more fun for alumni to see two games.  I dunno.  I know UNC tried something like this awhile back.  

Basketball schedules are made during the spring/summer and finalized when classes start in August/September.  

• Hook 'Em 1

There was a long stretch under Barnes where our entire non-conf. schedule would come out in July.  I'm guessing that's before the NBA does theirs? 

I dunno, just always thought it'd be cool to have a marquee game somewhere with a Longhorn NBA team the night before or after.  If anybody is trying to loop in our NBA alums, it's Beard.  I said it in another thread but at his intro press conference a few weeks ago, I was standing in the back within ear shot of Ford and the dozen or so other alums (half of whom played in the NBA formerly).  And before/after the Coach remarks, they were all speaking with great energy and enthusiasm with one another about being back around the program and what can they do to help, and getting back in the mix, etc.  It was really cool to see.  I'm sure that happened with Barnes and Smart's hirings as well, but there's just so many of them now, it'd be crazy not to bring them into the fold.  It was just fun to see guys I haven't see on campus in decades cutting up with one another, plotting strategies on how to get pickup games going again, helping recruit kids back in Houston, etc.  My silly NBA-NCAA double-header is an extension of that.  

Meantime, we do know we're playing in Brooklyn, so I gotta start my story that I somehow have important business in Brooklyn the day before Thanksgiving.  I doubt the IRS or my wife will buy it.  FWIW-Gazelle Group guy says, pending ESPN approval, they are going to pair UCLA/Northwestern and Virginia/Texas in the first round.  Obviously we have a number of question marks on this roster, or lack of a roster at this point.  But I'd like to think we can take Virginia and opening the season with UCLA and Virginia (both very recent Final Four teams) would be a great starter.  

Edited by Lobo

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Basketball schedules are made during the spring/summer and finalized when classes start in August/September.  

Yes sir.  We could get a UCLA on our schedule tomorrow I bet if we wanted to- but we might not get a home game back.  Would love to see that happen.  Hell, San Diego State is usually decent- I imagine they'd be happy to do a home and home with us.  But really- I want to go play Gonzaga more or less every year.  Should be right around thanksgiving time if we/they aren't in a thanksgiving tournament.  

I used to love the AZ schedule under Penders- even though we never fucking won those games they were fun.  

My ideal schedule would be as follows (29 games plus tournaments)

Rotating tournament events between Hawaii, Bahamas and NYC with maybe an occasional Alaska mixed in

18 games in Conference

Gonzaga (home and away permanent-ish)

Michigan State/Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana (pick one)

North Carolina/Duke (pick one)

Arizona/UCLA/San Diego State/Cal (pick one)

SEC Challenge (Kentucky, Tenn, Florida or A&M)

Big East Challenge (VIllanova/Georgetown/UConn)

LSU in Houston around the holidays

Some mid major projected to be good (whichita State, Creighton, Butler, Tulsa- someone like that)

UTSA

UTEP

UT- Arlington

That feels like a schedule that you should have tons of interest around.  That's 7 home games (3 against national powers- one against a solid regional mid major and 3 against UT system schools), 3 road games against national powers, and a standing game in Houston against LSU for our 11 games. plus we play on the west coast every year, we play on the east coast every year, and we play in the midwest every year. 

Then, for the tournaments it's a mix of fun locations for the kids and national limelight.  

That schedule should get you ready to play in the big 12.  That's the kind of schedule where if you go 8-3 against (plus tournament) you know you are going to be really good- and you could go ahead and be a candidate to win the conference, and even if you go 5-6 or 4-7 you should be able to get better and make the tournament going 500 in league.  I'm really indifferent toward the idea of going to the tournament if we are sub 500 in the big 12.  That should have enough marquee games to keep everyone happy and interested from the first tip all the way throughout.  And- if we are playing shitty teams pre-season (and we need to paly some) I'd like them to be UT system schools to help out and be a good big brother.  

• Hook 'Em 3