Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I know people are down on Ramey but that would be a positive if he returned. Fits well with Beard because of his defensive tenacity and reality is we need a couple more guards. 

Yep. If we can get another PG like Jones or Wheeler, his role would be a scorer.  The less he has to handle the ball, the better. 

Well shit, this rebuilding didn't take long.  With some more good news possibly waiting out there in the wings.  Hook 'Em Beard! 

I know this has already been answered, but do the current guys coming in via transfer...do they have to sit out a year?  I know they won't be penalize a year of eligibility in terms of Class/5-year, but do they have to physically sit out the 2021-22 season?  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well shit, this rebuilding didn't take long.  With some more good news possibly waiting out there in the wings.  Hook 'Em Beard! 

I know this has already been answered, but do the current guys coming in via transfer...do they have to sit out a year?  I know they won't be penalize a year of eligibility in terms of Class/5-year, but do they have to physically sit out the 2021-22 season?  

no

I never thought Sims would return (happy to eat crow) and Gerry's reporting somewhat alludes to that. Really would like to see Beard bring in Ongenda to play center in a big lineup. I would have been happy to take Kuath (I am aware that he's raw, but I'm sure he'll slowly develop), but he decided that Shaka would be his savior.

Beard has brought in plenty of scoring punch, now he just needs to shore up the defense just a little bit (specifically rim protection).

Unless these insinuations of Tyson Williams having someone hanging on to him from Fresno St to UTEP are legitimate, it's puzzling that he's not already in the fold.

Edited by UDontKnow

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

No mention of Ramey decision means that he's back?

Ramey hasn’t exhausted his eligibility (even without the COVID year), he hasn’t declared for the draft, and he isn’t in the portal. I get there’s been a coaching change and that we’re in a strange year with COVID (and a new world with the portal in general), but it seems weird to me that everyone is waiting on some sort of announcement from him. You’d normally assume he’s here unless he says otherwise, not the other way around.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I know people are down on Ramey but that would be a positive if he returned. Fits well with Beard because of his defensive tenacity and reality is we need a couple more guards. 

I’d take Ramey over any of the three transfer guards we’re looking at. He’s really good, just needs some actual caching for once in his college career. 

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I never thought Sims would return (happy to eat crow) and Gerry's reporting somewhat alludes to that. Really would like to see Beard bring in Ongenda to play center in a big lineup. I would have been happy to take Kuath (I am aware that he's raw, but I'm sure he'll slowly develop), but he decided that Shaka would be his savior.

Beard has brought in plenty of scoring punch, now he just needs to shore up the defense just a little bit (specifically rim protection).

Unless these insinuations of Tyson Williams having someone hanging on to him from Fresno St to UTEP are legitimate, it's puzzling that he's not already in the fold.

Williams might be waiting on Sims. Doubt he’d want to come here if Sims and Disu are here.  

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sims has pretty much maxed out at the collegiate level.  He would only come back if he just wanted to experience another year of college life.  And you know, winning n shit.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’d take Ramey over any of the three transfer guards we’re looking at. He’s really good, just needs some actual caching for once in his college career. 

Williams might be waiting on Sims. Doubt he’d want to come here if Sims and Disu are here.  

Williams is highly unlikely with Disu and Bishop in the fold.

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

94373E4D-1203-4A18-BB5F-A29A06C0854E.jpeg

Wow, that's an interesting smattering of academic expectations in terms of colleges.  I hope he comes here and succeeds.  But some of those places are glorified community colleges academically including UGA (no offense to MTG)

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wow, that's an interesting smattering of academic expectations in terms of colleges.  I hope he comes here and succeeds.  But some of those places are glorified community colleges academically including UGA (no offense to MTG)

UGA isn’t a bad school.

• Hook 'Em 1

You're right, it's not bad.  It's good for the SEC.  I was just pointing out, and again I am sure the young man is up for it, that it is in a completely different world in terms of expectations from Stanford, Texas, Michigan, Gonzaga, Oregon State, and Kansas.  The spectrum of schools, academically not basketball, surprised me is all.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're right, it's not bad.  It's good for the SEC.  I was just pointing out, and again I am sure the young man is up for it, that it is in a completely different world in terms of expectations from Stanford, Texas, Michigan, Gonzaga, Oregon State, and Kansas.  The spectrum of schools, academically not basketball, surprised me is all.  

wut?

955F909A-E6DA-4FE4-AA9B-985E96179F17.png

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Per USNWR:

#6 Stanford

#24 Michigan

#42 Texas

#47 Georgia

#80 Gonzaga

#103 Oregon State

#124 Kansas (yikes)

The big outlier is Wichita State. I've watched a baseball game there - it's pretty much a community college with nice sports facilities.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Personally I’d rather move on from Coleman and go find a sophomore pg transfer beard can have for 2-3 years rather than a 12th year senior.

Fuck that.  Way too much guard talent in the state of Texas in the 2022 class to have lesser talented players taking up roster space and dissuading them from coming here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't get me started on those rankings.  Secondly---there's a big difference between USNWR rankings and the diligence required by basketball players in the classroom.  Gonzaga may not rank as high as Georgia, but the Zaga players take on robust courseloads, have the same attendance requirements as other students (except for away travel), and meet challenging grade requirements.  That is simply not the case at Kentucky, Georgia, and LSU.  It's just not.  They make rank solidly overall, and god bless 'em for it.  But in terms of the 13 guys on their basketball squads and academic expectations?  It's just not there.  There are great schools where the players can basically zone out.  And there are mediocre schools where the players are expected to do every bit in the classroom that the non-athletes do, and sometimes even a bit more.  And there are great schools for great players where they are required to do great work off the court.  Anyway, it's a thread for another time.  But Texas, under Barnes, Shaka, and now Beard have maintained themselves in that third group.  And I am proud of that fact.  I had 3 basketball players in my FIN 322F last semester.  Granted I only teach twice a semester, but I also do case study judging and office hours.  And all three of them did the work required, and did well on the portion of the mid-term that dealt with my lectures and online materials.  In years past, I've had baseball players in my 374S upper division course.  And they also exceeded expectations.  I know for a fact that is not the case at Georgia.  

Anyway, on to brighter topics.  

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Fuck that.  Way too much guard talent in the state of Texas in the 2022 class to have lesser talented players taking up roster space and dissuading them from coming here. 

Agree to disagree. Rather have another guard here with those 2022 guards than nothing but true freshman. Rosters will be built through transfers every year moving forward with the portal. If Coleman comes back so be it, I’m personally ready to move on from him like some will be with Ramey. I’d take sims all day though.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm not sure this is true if Williams is willing to play the 5. 

Williams didn't start the 5 at UTEP but if you watch his highlights it's pretty clear he played minutes there. 

I was considering the scoring and rebounding numbers - Disu and Bishop are both double/double guys. With the returning scoring from the guards (going to include Ramey provisionally) and Timmy Allen, we have a shitload of minutes available for guys that can score.  We need rim protecting, likely developmental type guys to evaluate at the 5 if Sims doesn't return.  Williams can play the 5, but for the specific need, there will be more guys entering the Portal when the semester concludes, in addition to guys like Ongenda already out there.  Donewald, in particular, has a ton international connections, so they could go overseas to find the right guy as well.

From a roster construction over time standpoint, it makes sense - start with retaining a couple of shooting/combo guards (AJ1, Ramey), a wing (Febres), and a floor mop/glue guy/ (Cunningham).  Then add a young P6 PG (Askew), a Freshman wing (Tyson), a P6 3-4 scorer (Allen), and two scoring/rebounding P6 4's (Disu, Bishop).  All they need now is rim protecting, rebounding 5s who won't need to score (or feel they need to be in a scoring role).

They could get another PG (distributor, not really a scorer), but they need to consider the 2022 class guards.  A guy like Wheeler is still early in his career.  A one year rental like Jacob Young might be a better fit.  Or someone better if they find him.

Edited by SizzleChest

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Ramey hasn’t exhausted his eligibility (even without the COVID year), he hasn’t declared for the draft, and he isn’t in the portal. I get there’s been a coaching change and that we’re in a strange year with COVID (and a new world with the portal in general), but it seems weird to me that everyone is waiting on some sort of announcement from him. You’d normally assume he’s here unless he says otherwise, not the other way around.

I think the only reason that it seems weird with Ramey is due to him not being on campus currently and finishing the semester from home/DFW.  His dad has liked multiple Beard tweets and tweets referencing how great Beard will be for his son. Ramey seems to be a no frills guy.  In this day and age when every recruit makes a show of deciding their college choice I remember Ramey barely did anything.  He just said he's coming, signed his LOI with minimal fanfare, and then showed up during the summer.  His lack of an announcement or tweet saying he's staying is pretty much par for the course for him. He easily has to most low profile social media presence of anyone on the team not named Jericho Sims.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How many spots do we have left? 4-5?

We will NOT fill up all roster spots. We will most likely have a 10 to 11 man roster and possibly give two walk-ons scholarships for practicing with the team. We may give a grad transfer a scholarship so who is looking to get a masters at UT with one year paid for so that that guy will be there for practices. Only 7 to maybe 10 are going to see playing time each game and next year’s high school senior class is loaded, so getting to 13 legit players just isn’t going to happen. 

2 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Sims has pretty much maxed out at the collegiate level.  He would only come back if he just wanted to experience another year of college life.  And you know, winning n shit.

Sims hasn’t come close to maximizing his college potential. 

He has the coordination and athletic ability to be a target low post player on the offensive end, but would need to be “coached up” (he has picked up one or two moves besides dunking in the last 4 years) and...

...he needs to LEARN TO HIT FREE THROWS!!

You cannot be a target post player if you are not practicing your fucking free throws for an hour outside of practice at least once a day. 

He can be a 12+ year player in the NBA if he learns to hit free throws. With an opportunity like that, WHY THE FUCK WOULDN’T YOU PRACTICE FREE THROWS FOR AN HOUR+ EVERY DAY?!?!

• Hook 'Em 1

Personally I don't think this group needs a center.  Give me all the 6-7 to 6-9 guys who can rebound, score in multiple ways, shoot 3s and defend multiple positions.  Beard has shown he can coach a team like that at a very elite level.

This lineup has plenty of size IMO for the college game.  Plus everybody can score and rebound.  

• PG - Courtney Ramey - 6'3
  • SG - Andrew Jones - 6'4
  • SF - Timmy Allen - 6'6  
  • PF - Christian Bishop - 6'7
  • PF - Dylan Disu - 6'9 - C 

Askew has good size as well for a college PG.  Brock Cunningham can also play G/F, defend multiple positions and rebound (and doesn't need the ball a lot).

For me, the wish list in priority is as follows:

1. Ramey (I'm actually counting him as in the fold since he hasn't gone anywhere)
  2. Jericho Sims
  3. DeVante Jones
  4. Bryson Williams
  5. Sahvir Wheeler
  6. Jacob Young

48 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Listing Kansas in the "good schools" list while saying Georgia sucks made me literally lol.  Kansas isn't an elite academic institution. 

Nobody said it was an elite academic institution.  But the basketball players there take real classes and must meet real expectations.  Georgia may rank higher on some assorted lists, but their student athletes in the Big 3 sports don't do the work.  Is that clear enough?  

Personally I don't think this group needs a center.  Give me all the 6-7 to 6-9 guys who can rebound, score in multiple ways, shoot 3s and defend multiple positions.  Beard has shown he can coach a team like that at a very elite level.
This lineup has plenty of size IMO for the college game.  Plus everybody can score and rebound.  
  • PG - Courtney Ramey - 6'3
  • SG - Andrew Jones - 6'4
  • SF - Timmy Allen - 6'6  
  • PF - Christian Bishop - 6'7
  • PF - Dylan Disu - 6'9 - C 
Askew has good size as well for a college PG.  Brock Cunningham can also play G/F, defend multiple positions and rebound (and doesn't need the ball a lot).
For me, the wish list in priority is as follows:
  1. Ramey (I'm actually counting him as in the fold since he hasn't gone anywhere)
  2. Jericho Sims
  3. DeVante Jones
  4. Bryson Williams
  5. Sahvir Wheeler
  6. Jacob Young

Pls never Jacob Young. Most annoying Russell Westbrook wantabee ever. Him plus Ramey would destroy the entire offense flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The starting 5 is probably set and easily has the talent/experience to make a Sweet 16.

G Askew

G Jones

G/F Allen

F Bishop

F Disu

Cunningham, Tyson, and Febres are fine complementary players.  I still think Ramey comes back and he will make a great 6th man.  

They need another viable big man (Sims or Williams may be too much to ask, so it will likely be a transfer like the guy from DePaul or Illinois State), and another guard (again, a guy who would demand to start like Wheeler, Jones, or Young is probably too much to ask, so not sure who it’ll be, Beard has some work to do there).  Then add 1-2 fringe-D1 grad transfers who can make good practice players or have a specialty skill (FT, 3P, big body).