Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

11 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Ramey hasn’t exhausted his eligibility (even without the COVID year), he hasn’t declared for the draft, and he isn’t in the portal. I get there’s been a coaching change and that we’re in a strange year with COVID (and a new world with the portal in general), but it seems weird to me that everyone is waiting on some sort of announcement from him. You’d normally assume he’s here unless he says otherwise, not the other way around.

He hasn’t confirmed with the staff yet that he’s coming back, and they’ve asked. That’s why we see the $9.95ers covering him still. Not saying he’s not coming back, but that’s the issue. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Ramey was All Big 12 3rd team. He isn’t coming off the bench if he returns for his senior year.

Abilene Christian made him look like a walkon. He’s not an NBA-caliber point guard and is too small to defend other positions. He’s not in the portal. Whats he waiting for?

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

You're right, it's not bad.  It's good for the SEC.  I was just pointing out, and again I am sure the young man is up for it, that it is in a completely different world in terms of expectations from Stanford, Texas, Michigan, Gonzaga, Oregon State, and Kansas.  The spectrum of schools, academically not basketball, surprised me is all.  

Lulz at some random recruit listing 10 schools, and Lobo immediately chiming in assuring us he is aware of the academic expectations shouldered by hoops players at most of them. I would guess on average there ain't a damn bit of difference between Georgia, KU, texas and likely the rest of them. Stanford may be different, but I'm probably just swayed by their overall academic rep.

It was just a strange swatch of schools to see together for a transfer.  Would make sense for a freshmen.  And it was a chance to brag on the academic prowess of UT hoops players, in my experience.   That was it, everybody's moved on.  Even your mom.  

Edited by Lobo

33 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Abilene Christian made him look like a walkon. He’s not an NBA-caliber point guard and is too small to defend other positions. He’s not in the portal. Whats he waiting for?

Ramey has a role on this as long as he’s not asked to handle the ball so he can’t dribble off his foot or throw it to no one. That’s why after Ramey, a second PG is highest on my list (preferably Devante Jones as a one year rental to have room for the 2022 guards in-state). 

There needs to be a second legit PG to handle the offense if Askew gets into foul trouble bc I don’t want to watch that garbage again 

He’s not an NBA-caliber point guard and is too small to defend other positions.

Ramey had no problem defending shooting guards when Coleman was matched up with the point guard. Most UT fans don't like him, but there is a reason he was All-Conference.  Every year he has gotten better and I would expect that to accelerate this year with this staff.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Ramey's issues with TOs were more of a function of the free ranging offense and a lack of athletic ability (he got himself into bad situations with no way out) than the result of a loose handle like Coleman (who literally had his worst TO game of his career against ACU) or AJ1.

IMO, Ramey can actually be a better and more consistent distributor of the ball in a more defined system. Ramey had better vision than Coleman and was much more likely to drop the ball off to a backdoor cut or pitch out a catchable ball to a 3 point shooter than Coleman. Coleman is much quicker and more athletic than Ramey so he frequently put more pressure on defenders in pick and roll situations which resulted in drop offs to Sims, but I think he left a lot to be desired in his ability to see the floor as a PG. According to basketball reference Ramey's turn over % on a normalized scale was better than Coleman's. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BowleggedMonkey said:

Pls never Jacob Young. Most annoying Russell Westbrook wantabee ever. Him plus Ramey would destroy the entire offense flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe go look at what basically every single player has done after transferring away from Shaka, including Young, and then reconsider. Ramey’s good, and he would be a lot better away from Shaka.

Going into the season with only Askew as a PG would be a bad idea, and he’s the best guard available for us to add right now. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Ramey's issues with TOs were more of a function of the free ranging offense and a lack of athletic ability (he got himself into bad situations with no way out) than the result of a loose handle like Coleman (who literally had his worst TO game of his career against ACU) or AJ1.

IMO, Ramey can actually be a better and more consistent distributor of the ball in a more defined system. Ramey had better vision than Coleman and was much more likely to drop the ball off to a backdoor cut or pitch out a catchable ball to a 3 point shooter than Coleman. Coleman is much quicker and more athletic than Ramey so he frequently put more pressure on defenders in pick and roll situations which resulted in drop offs to Sims, but I think he left a lot to be desired in his ability to see the floor as a PG. According to basketball reference Ramey's turn over % on a normalized scale was better than Coleman's. 

Yep. Ramey’s damn good and most of the stuff that drove us crazy about him was because of Shaka. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Also, Ramey doesn't get enough credit for his shooting, mainly because of the all-too-frequent bad mid-range shots.  But from 3 last year he shot 41.4% on 116 attempts, which is the 9th best percentage in UT history on more than 100 attempts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

yes, this. and just to add:

A)Ramey's teammates rave about his vision and passing ability in practice (gee, i wonder why his prodigious vision never showed itself during games?)

and

B)Coleman was a four year starter at PG who averaged 3.7 ast/gm for his career in 33 minutes played.

there is zero doubt that Ramey is a better passer with better instincts that Coleman, and our fans who don't like him need to redirect that anger towards his former HC, and hope that Ramey returns for one more year under a real HC + talented supporting cast. he would be a huge addition to this team, and a leader from day one, even if he's not the star player. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Ramey seemed to be the one who was the worst fit with Shaka, because he is super creative but that sometimes needs to be reigned in and molded. Shaka reigned in and molded exactly nothing that I can remember.

Ramey is a poor man's J'Covan.

He's a better 3 point shooter than Brown, but his lack of a mid range game and the savvy or change of pace to consistently get by defenders while driving holds him back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

Nobody said it was an elite academic institution.  But the basketball players there take real classes and must meet real expectations.  Georgia may rank higher on some assorted lists, but their student athletes in the Big 3 sports don't do the work.  Is that clear enough?  

How do you have such detailed knowledge of which NCAA schools require student athletes to do “real work” and which do not?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yes, this. and just to add:

A)Ramey's teammates rave about his vision and passing ability in practice (gee, i wonder why his prodigious vision never showed itself during games?)

and

B)Coleman was a four year starter at PG who averaged 3.7 ast/gm for his career in 33 minutes played.

there is zero doubt that Ramey is a better passer with better instincts that Coleman, and our fans who don't like him need to redirect that anger towards his former HC, and hope that Ramey returns for one more year under a real HC + talented supporting cast. he would be a huge addition to this team, and a leader from day one, even if he's not the star player. 

Yes. If only we can get the guy who lost us multiple games, including the one to Abilene fucking Christian, to return to the team

That will be key 🙄

• Hook 'Em 1

Ramey is a poor man's J'Covan.

I don't view them as the same player at all. J'Covan was an offensive savant. He could score in countless ways.  Very creative in getting to the rack and drawing fouls. He also tended to be over-emotional and lose control.  I also never thought he was much of a defender.  Not terrible, but his defensive effort was always tied to how well things were going on the other end.

Ramey on the other hand is mainly a spot-up shooter. He will attempt bonehead mid-ranger shots and isn't great at getting to the rim at all.  On the other side though, he is clearly a much better defender than J'Covan.  He really commits on the defensive end and seems to draw a lot of his energy in locking down his man. He also has a much better attitude IMO.  He isn't very demonstrative when things go well or poorly - very even keeled. 

In short, I would MUCH rather play pick-up with this guy:

Stingy second-half defense helps Texas men's basketball past reeling Kansas  State - Horns Illustrated

Than this guy:

Photo of J'covan Brown, 2018-2019 season

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's not unfathomable that an inconsistent player under one coach suddenly becomes good under a better coach.

That’s a fair point. It’s possible. I’d be happy to be wrong if it makes the Horns a better team. 

My guess is he will just lose minutes as Beard tries to coach him and he keeps being himself.

I was never a huge fan but he lost me after the WVU game blowup on Jones. Then I watched him do the exact same thing he yelled at Jones for multiple times the rest of the year, including against ACU

And he hit that one 3 against ACU in the 1st half and then immediately ballhogged throwing up bullshit for the next 3-4 possessions. At this point I’m fine with the loss as it got us Beard, but I was pretty pissed at the time. I still say we win that game if Ramey simply doesn’t play in it.

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's not unfathomable that an inconsistent player under one coach suddenly becomes good under a better coach.

It's actually quite common among the good coaches. Take Kelvin Sampson, for example. He seems to make 2-3 scrubs good every year.

48 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I’ve discussed my issues with Ramey for months now. It has nothing to do with you 

narcissistic personality disorder is a helluva thing 

then why did you quote me, and not the guy whose pro-ramey post i simply added on to? the guy whose post came first? A: because you are obsessed with me and cannot help yourself. there is literally nobody else who you follow around talking shit to. to deny your obsession is just stupid. grow up. 

On 4/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, Machinator said:

This offseason has set a record for transfer portal activity, but I'm wondering if it's the new norm. One moment, we're bracing for an abysmal 2021-22 campaign (with or without Shaka), yet in less than a month, we're staring at a potential top 10 lineup. It's unprecedented.

It seems rosters are going to be very fluid going forward. Four-year lettermen (at least with the same school) will become the exception, with the more talented underclassmen only sticking around for a season or two before signing a pro contract. Those who aren't ready for big minutes at a P6 will instead go the small-school/juco route.

All that said, I'm hoping any of Sims, Brown, Ramey and Coleman return for next season. Whatever their shortcomings, they are ours. Ramey might compel me to consider chucking the remote at the TV from time to time, but he's still a Longhorn. I would hate to see any of them "encouraged" to leave simply because the coaching staff felt they could do better via the portal.

53 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Bro you write paragraphs of text to me about things not related to basketball multiple times a week

I don’t even fucking read them. This is a one way rivalry or whatever you think it is. 

Just stop 

good lord. the exact opposite of everything you just said is true. i never go out of my way to talk to or about you. i don't even ever remember that you exist until you go out of your way to rant to/about me in the most random threads. there is no "rivalry", just your weird, childish obsession with me. i challenge you to prove me wrong by ending this obsession and keeping my name out of your mouth from now until the end of time. "hey guys, do you think we can get Derka to follow Shaka to Marquette?!?! lulz!!!" yeah, it's me who brings you up out of nowhere. 🙄 

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This offseason has set a record for transfer portal activity, but I'm wondering if it's the new norm. One moment, we're bracing for an abysmal 2021-22 campaign (with or without Shaka), yet in less than a month, we're staring at a potential top 10 lineup. It's unprecedented.

It seems rosters are going to be very fluid going forward. Four-year lettermen (at least with the same school) will become the exception, with the more talented underclassmen only sticking around for a season or two before signing a pro contract. Those who aren't ready for big minutes at a P6 will instead go the small-school/juco route.

All that said, I'm hoping any of Sims, Brown, Ramey and Coleman return for next season. Whatever their shortcomings, they are ours. Ramey might compel me to consider chucking the remote at the TV from time to time, but he's still a Longhorn. I would hate to see any of them "encouraged" to leave simply because the coaching staff felt they could do better via the portal.

I don't think the new normal will quite this chaotic with as many portal issues.  This is the first year of the one free transfer rule which means players who have been "stuck" on teams are getting their first chance at freedom.  Add to that the free Covid year and we have 4 or 5 classes of players who are getting their first shot at a second chance.  I think in the future we see a smaller number of transfers every year.

It does bring up a good question though.  Should a P6 development project from now on go to a smaller school to get more immediate playing time with the intention of transferring after 2 years to a contender?

anyone who isn't interested in this retarded little spat in having with my stalker @MotownHorn needs to scroll right past this.

Hey retard- here's what a 30 second search of your recent posting history shows: you constantly going out of your way to talk shit to/about me. in every single instance it is you who initiates the encounter. it's literally never me. 

92848A0E-3250-410F-ACC8-BEFE4F2D4363.jpeg

D14B446B-ADA1-4A14-9796-A7F59C410C4B.jpeg

2FB06EC3-D323-4449-B66F-A5D34CA28AF9.jpeg

079DD744-C962-4A03-999B-7994250EACBC.jpeg

so you can keep on with your little fairytale projection fantasyland where i seek you out and not versa, but let the record show that you are full of shit. you and @RichUT can also suck each other's ducks and die slow. mental illness isn't funny, and talking shit like this to a person who you know is mentally ill is fucking foul. leave me the fuck alone, or i'm going to continue to respond to you in kind, and nobody around here wants that. 

5 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I don't think the new normal will quite this chaotic with as many portal issues.  This is the first year of the one free transfer rule which means players who have been "stuck" on teams are getting their first chance at freedom.  Add to that the free Covid year and we have 4 or 5 classes of players who are getting their first shot at a second chance.  I think in the future we see a smaller number of transfers every year.

Of course numbers are sure to take a dip next season without the freebie, but I sense that transfers will continue to trend upward. Nobody wants to sit and develop anymore. It's understandable.

I'm just an old lamenting the inevitable, I guess.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
damnit, Derka.

i apologize to everyone else here, but fuck @MotownHorn for following me around talking shit to me like an asshole all of the goddamn time, just waiting for me have a bad day and take the bait, and fuck that coward @RichUT for having nothing to contribute to this forum other snipes about me being mentally ill. it would be such a shame if all of your children ended up having mental illness and end led up dying homeless and addicted to heroin in a gutter somewhere. just truly awful if that happened to you. 

now- i'm not addressing this stupid shit any further. leave me the fuck alone. i leave you two alone every goddamn day, now do the decent human thing and leave me the fuck alone. stop following me around talking shit. leave me alone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

How do you have such detailed knowledge of which NCAA schools require student athletes to do “real work” and which do not?

The evidence against Georgia athletes is pretty damning. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/extra-mustard/2021/04/14/timberwolves-alex-rodriguez-anthony-edwards-video

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/dawgnation/why-herschel-walker-is-vouching-for-donald-trump/

24 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i apologize to everyone else here, but fuck @MotownHorn for following me around talking shit to me like an asshole all of the goddamn time, just waiting for me have a bad day and take the bait, and fuck that coward @RichUT for having nothing to contribute to this forum other snipes about me being mentally ill. it would be such a shame if all of your children ended up having mental illness and end led up dying homeless and addicted to heroin in a gutter somewhere. just truly awful if that happened to you. 

now- i'm not addressing this stupid shit any further. leave me the fuck alone. i leave you two alone every goddamn day, now do the decent human thing and leave me the fuck alone. stop following me around talking shit. leave me alone. 

Was this post supposed to show that you aren’t mentally ill?

edit: I just read more and learned shadow_operative is Derka. I retract my question about mental illness. 

Edited by Irieguy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I don't view them as the same player at all. J'Covan was an offensive savant. He could score in countless ways.  Very creative in getting to the rack and drawing fouls. He also tended to be over-emotional and lose control.  I also never thought he was much of a defender.  Not terrible, but his defensive effort was always tied to how well things were going on the other end.

Ramey on the other hand is mainly a spot-up shooter. He will attempt bonehead mid-ranger shots and isn't great at getting to the rim at all.  On the other side though, he is clearly a much better defender than J'Covan.  He really commits on the defensive end and seems to draw a lot of his energy in locking down his man. He also has a much better attitude IMO.  He isn't very demonstrative when things go well or poorly - very even keeled. 

In short, I would MUCH rather play pick-up with this guy:

I disagree that Ramey is mainly a spot up shooter. Maybe it's the fact that he's not really athletic and has a probing game, but his style of play reminds me a lot of J'Covan. He had a lot of good moments this year most memorably the play to setup AJ1's buzzer beater against at WVU.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Michigan-Texas-Tech-Memphis-Devante-Jones-164740661/

This definitely makes it sound like Coleman is gone and Ramey is returning. 

“They got three good guards and I can be that fourth guard so that can be a good fit. I like how they have an amazing fan base. I also like coach Beard being there. I spoke with him and got a good feel for him and what he got planned for me. They explained how I would be a more dominant ball handler and help create by making plays for myself and others. I would be creating for guys like Courtney Ramey and Andrew Jones. Sometimes I would move to the two and play alongside guys like Devin Askew. I haven't spoken to any of the guys on the team yet but I know that can be a good fit as well.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick Harris

Spoiler

- Today, Coastal Carolina transfer guard Devante' Jones announced a top four of Texas, Texas Tech, Michigan and Memphis and said that he will be announcing his decision on Saturday. As of now, I don't expect Texas to win this battle as the guard room is starting to stack up in Austin with Devin Askew and Andrew Jones already on the roster and Courtney Ramey expected to join. If Jones does indeed decide to not attend Texas, look for the staff to put a full-court press on Georgia transfer Sahvir Wheeler. The Longhorns are still in search of a guard to add to the mix next season and Wheeler has already expressed interest in returning to his home state of Texas.

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I disagree that Ramey is mainly a spot up shooter. Maybe it's the fact that he's not really athletic and has a probing game, but his style of play reminds me a lot of J'Covan. He had a lot of good moments this year most memorably the play to setup AJ1's buzzer beater against at WVU.

Yeah, I overstated my point there.  He can definitely create his own shot, but I find myself scratching my head at some of the choices.  I almost never doubt his shooting 3s though.  Anyway, sounds like there is a good chance that he is coming back, which would be tremendous news.  He is due a redemption tour.

If we picked up Devante Jones or Sahvir Wheeler, that would be an embarrassment of riches. I really expect Febres to be a much better contributor this year as well. He has started 61 games for us and was pretty important for us as a junior. He is capable of hitting 40%+ from 3 and 90%+ FTs, and at 6'5 could even get minutes at small ball PF.

I've been looking at our potential roster and trying to figure out what the minutes might look like.  In Tech's Elite 8 run, they didn't have anyone over 6'5 that got more than 15 mpg. The following year when they made the title game, 6'10 Tariq Owens got 25 mpg and Odiase got 17 mpg. Everybody else getting significant minutes was 6'5 or less.  Beard doesn't seem to mind running lineups with interchangeable 6'3-6'7 parts.  Luckily that seems to be how our roster is shaping up.

In looking at the potential minutes situation, we could have something like this:

Guards

• DeVante Jones, 6'1 / Sahvir Wheeler, 5'10:  PG 24 min
  • Devin Askew, 6'3:  PG 18 min, SG 6  - 24 mpg total
  • Courtney Ramey, 6'3:  SG 22 min, PG 6 min - 28 mpg total
  • Andrew Jones, 6'4: SG 18 min, SF 10 min - 28 mpg total
  • Jase Febres, 6'5:  SG 8 min, SF 8 min, PF 6 min - 22 mpg total

Forwards

• Timmy Allen, 6'6:  SF 14 min, PF 16 min - 30 mpg total
  • Christian Bishop, 6'7:  SF 6, PF 10, C 10 mpg - 24 mpg total
  • Jaylon Tyson, 6'6:  SF 8
  • Brock Cunningham, 6'5:  PF 16

Bigs

• Dylan Disu, 6'9:  C 28 min  
  • TBD:  C  10 min

Total:  ~240 min (which is what we have averaged the last few years accounting for injuries and overtimes)

Keep in mind that everyone on our team outside of Tyson and Cunningham has averaged 31-35 mpg at times in their career. There won't be that many minutes to go around, especially if we add another guard and big man.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

I've been looking at our potential roster and trying to figure out what the minutes might look like.  In Tech's Elite 8 run, they didn't have anyone over 6'5 that got more than 15 mpg. The following year when they made the title game, 6'10 Tariq Owens got 25 mpg and Odiase got 17 mpg. Everybody else getting significant minutes was 6'5 or less.  Beard doesn't seem to mind running lineups with interchangeable 6'3-6'7 parts.  Luckily that seems to be how our roster is shaping up.

In looking at the potential minutes situation, we could have something like this:

Guards

• DeVante Jones, 6'1 / Sahvir Wheeler, 5'10:  PG 24 min
  • Devin Askew, 6'3:  PG 18 min, SG 6  - 24 mpg total
  • Courtney Ramey, 6'3:  SG 22 min, PG 6 min - 28 mpg total
  • Andrew Jones, 6'4: SG 18 min, SF 10 min - 28 mpg total
  • Jase Febres, 6'5:  SG 8 min, SF 8 min, PF 6 min - 22 mpg total

Forwards

• Timmy Allen, 6'6:  SF 14 min, PF 16 min - 30 mpg total
  • Christian Bishop, 6'7:  SF 6, PF 10, C 10 mpg - 24 mpg total
  • Jaylon Tyson, 6'6:  SF 8
  • Brock Cunningham, 6'5:  PF 16

Bigs

• Dylan Disu, 6'9:  C 28 min  
  • TBD:  C  10 min

Total:  ~240 min (which is what we have averaged the last few years accounting for injuries and overtimes)

Keep in mind that everyone on our team outside of Tyson and Cunningham has averaged 31-35 mpg at times in their career. There won't be that many minutes to go around, especially if we add another guard and big man.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Based on your  numbers.

PG = 48 min

SG = 54 min

SF = 44 min

PF = 48 min

C = 48 min

College game is 40 min.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Like I said, if you add up the MPG for our team over the last few years we average about 240 minutes.  Some games go to overtime.  Sometimes players miss games and others get more minutes, bringing up their averages, etc.

Edited by HookEm

This sounds like the reasoning of a weak ass mayor in a broke ass town. 

Well, no longer applies since the mayor has moved on and town is no longer broke.

But seriously...

I like where you are going with this.  Who plays the Moretti role? Does Allen = Culver? 

FWIW - Add up the Tech minutes last year and you get 248. A lot of that excess is driven by Nimari Burnett opting out of the season at the mid-point and Kevin McCullar's injury.

Regardless, looking at that roster it is hard AF to figure out how to distribute the minutes.  I generally like the thought of giving 28-32 minutes to the best 5-6 players and then distributing the rest at <15 mpg.  But in that case you are going to be giving folks like Bishop, Askew, Febres, Cunningham way less minutes than they are going to want.

Here is another cut at it, limiting the minutes to 215 (more reasonable if there are no transfers or MAJOR injuries)

• Andrew Jones, 6'4 - 30 min
  • Dylan Disu, 6'9:  30 min
  • Courtney Ramey, 6'3 - 28 min
  • Timmy Allen, 6'6:  28 min
  • DeVante Jones, 6'1 / Sahvir Wheeler, 5'10:  PG 27 min
  • Christian Bishop, 6'7:  20 min
  • Jase Febres, 6'5 - 14 min
  • Devin Askew, 6'3:  14 min
  • Brock Cunningham, 6'5:  12 min
  • Big man TBD - 12 min
  • Total:  215

(Bold players are currently unsigned)

16 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

i dunno, i think ramey's more hubert davis than j'covan brown.  would love to be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1