Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

Guest Lobo
16 hours ago, Machinator said:

That sucks.  Was really looking forward to that tournament.  Not like Beard to back down from competition like that.  Plus great East Coast recruiting exposure playing Durant's building.  We were gonna face Virginia (Beard's final four foe from 2019) in the first round, and possible this year's Final Four cinderella UCLA in the title game.  I hope Beard puts us in another early season tournament.  Those things are always fun to knock off work early during holiday season to watch, plus depending on the location and other teams involved---can be a great recruiting edge.  

Matt Coleman III

Men's Basketball

Communication & Leadership, minor in Business

Jase Febres

Men's Basketball

Corporate Communication

Royce Hamm Jr.

Men's Basketball

Physical Culture & Sports with an Education track

Kamaka Hepa

Men's Basketball

Sport Management, minor in Business

Andrew Jones

Men's Basketball

Blake Nevins

Men's Basketball

Civil Engineering Honors

Jericho Sims

Men's Basketball

African & African Diaspora Studies, minor in Anthropology

Drayton Whiteside

Men's Basketball

Finance and Sport Management (double major)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Matt Coleman III

Men's Basketball

Communication & Leadership, minor in Business

Jase Febres

Men's Basketball

Corporate Communication

Royce Hamm Jr.

Men's Basketball

Kamaka Hepa

Men's Basketball

Sport Management, minor in Business

Andrew Jones

Men's Basketball

Blake Nevins

Men's Basketball

Civil Engineering Honors

Jericho Sims

Men's Basketball

African & African Diaspora Studies, minor in Anthropology

Drayton Whiteside

Men's Basketball

Finance and Sport Management (double major)

Congrats to all. Great job and best wishes wherever life takes you.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm surprised you're surprised. Hepa was like DJ Augustin in getting nothing but As for at least his 1st two years on campus. 

well sure, but didn't he enroll in the fall of 2018? graduating from the University of Texas in three years is impressive for anyone, but for a guy who was also a full time basketball player the entire time it's even more noteworthy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

well sure, but didn't he enroll in the fall of 2018? graduating from the University of Texas in three years is impressive for anyone, but for a guy who was also a full time basketball player the entire time it's even more noteworthy.

I feel like there have been a shitload of football players who have done just that recently, but maybe the distinction is they did it in 3&1/2 years as opposed to 3. And I agree, given the fact that the basketball season crosses over into both the fall and spring semesters, it's impressive to see it done by a basketball player. That being said, with the trend towards athletes maintaining a fulltime curriculum year round as opposed to just going part-time during the summer (if they have classes at all) over the past 20 years I feel like it's become more routine. The sudden deluge of grad transfers with 2 years of remaining eligibility is proof of this phenomenon becoming more common.   

• Hook 'Em 1

that comment from Shaka about our fans not showing up was so bitch made. i went to three different sellouts Shaka's first year when Barnes's players were able to overcome his ineptitude via cohesion and the Tasmanian Devil at PG. we were in the arena Shaka, and the building was shaking. sorry i stopped driving from the suburbs through 5 o'clock Austin traffic to come watch your shitass team go 5-27 from deep in a loss to TCU on a Tuesday evening. that dumbass comment he made is going to come back to bite him in the ass when we look up 3 years from now and Moody is sold out vs ISU while the Marquette arena is half empty.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

I appreciate Beard's zest to get that depressing shithole filled up with fans in its last hurrah.  

But one thing we never seem to come to terms with is the way our academic year is built and how that effects student attendance.  For instance, in 2021-22, our students will finish classes on 6 December.  There'll, by a matter of course, usually be one game during the whole "reading days/final exams."  Other than that, our students won't return to campus until classes resume on 18 January.  That's 6 weeks, or roughly 35% of our entire home schedule that takes place when almost our entire student body is gone.  The only way to fill up the Erwin Center for a huge chunk of the season is to make it fun and affordable.  UT has never found a way to do that.  Moody's 'new' factor will help a great deal.  But our student body just lives too far away during break to come back for 1 or 2 games over break . 

I appreciate Beard's zest to get that depressing shithole filled up with fans in its last hurrah.  
But one thing we never seem to come to terms with is the way our academic year is built and how that effects student attendance.  For instance, in 2021-22, our students will finish classes on 6 December.  There'll, by a matter of course, usually be one game during the whole "reading days/final exams."  Other than that, our students won't return to campus until classes resume on 18 January.  That's 6 weeks, or roughly 35% of our entire home schedule that takes place when almost our entire student body is gone.  The only way to fill up the Erwin Center for a huge chunk of the season is to make it fun and affordable.  UT has never found a way to do that.  Moody's 'new' factor will help a great deal.  But our student body just lives too far away during break to come back for 1 or 2 games over break . 
Solution is free admission to all when classes aren't in session. Get the minister of culture on it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

If you’re an early enrollee and go to summer school full time it’s normal.  I worked summers to have some money for the fall and summer.  If UT was picking up the tab I would’ve graduated a year and a half early.

Yeah this is how all of these dudes do it; those 12 hours of summer school add up.

Still, good on all of these guys for getting their degree, much less doing it early. The window of people giving a fuck about your well-being the day you don’t benefit them closes fast; good for them of being out of the room at that time....

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Yeah this is how all of these dudes do it; those 12 hours of summer school add up.

Still, good on all of these guys for getting their degree, much less doing it early. The window of people giving a fuck about your well-being the day you don’t benefit them closes fast; good for them of being out of the room at that time....

The other thing is that every player (and varsity athlete) gets every class that he wants/needs, every semester, because they register first.

Getting a class the semester you need it, with the professor that you want and in the time slot that you want/need is a HUGE advantage when trying to get in and get out. It still takes a lot of work, but there is a staff for assisting the kids with handling their course-load, I believe.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

That makes more sense now.  I think part of our draw to the Brooklyn tournament was of course the competition, but that we'd be sandwiched around a Durant Nets game that same week which would just have all kinds of cool branding and recruiting opportunities.  You can still recruit New York from Newark's Prudential Center but it's not quite the same.  Gazelle has had a long-standing and great relationship for these early season tournies, I wonder who they pissed off at Barclay's after all these years.  

I hope Texas still gets in a pre-season tourney.   They're almost all full at this point.  I guess if we don't, that frees us up to schedule two one-off games instead of a 2-game tourney.  Maybe a couple of neutral site games...one in Texas and one on the West Coast as Beard has been wanting.  I think something cool will come of this but not as cool as watching the Horns watch Durant play a Nets game on Sunday night and then they themselves facing Virginia/UCLA on Monday night.  

On 5/20/2021 at 1:46 PM, shadow_operative said:

Hepa graduated? damn, good for him. 

Man the instagram story on his profile is heartwarming. He's walking with his Mom and Dad and his mom is beaming wiht pride while his Dad is absolutely balling. He mentioned he's the first in his family to graduate from college. I really wish he'd stay. He really is an impressive young man (as are a bunch players on this team). 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, Lobo said:

Lobo, you are correct and that's why you want to play more road games during the Christmas break..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

According to the interwebs

AJ1, Royce, Matt, Kamaka, Jericho, and Jase all graduated today. Not sure of the last time we had this many bball players graduate on time (or ahead of schedule in Kamaka's case). 

Outstanding, Congrats young men on a job well done that wasn't as easy as many think. Bet wishes for whatever the future brings.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So we pulled out of a tournament because of a venue change that we hadn’t been told about yet. 

Jedi Beard mind tricks 'n shit, yo'! 

"This is not the venue we are looking for..."

"This isn't the venue Texas was looking for." 

There's still an opening in the Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach with Boston College, Rhode Island, and Tulsa.  Doesn't really do much for Northeast recruiting unfortunately.  Las Vegas Invitational still has 3 openings.  Cable Beach tourney in Bahamas has an opening (good field with Maryland, Miss. State, and N.C. State).  Gotham Classic with Pitt and saint John's still has two openings but it may meet the same fate as the other 2 NYC Gazelle Group tournaments and get moved to Newark (which apparently is also called Gotham).  

44 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Newark (which apparently is also called Gotham).  

New York City is Gotham (Washington Irving). Newark is Gotham City (DC Comics).

You didn't know Batman was a Jersey Boy?

Edited by Herpa Derpa
accreditation.

Guest Lobo

I thought they used Chicago as the Gotham City in the last big batman trilogy?  So confused.  

I'm hoping Beard starts tricking out some opponents for next year's schedule soon.  Then again, we're bringing in so many great transfers, he probably doesn't want to accidentally schedule their old team.  The 'usual' formula has been 2-3 games in an early season tournament.  8 home games (6 directional, 1 mid-level, 1 marquee name).  Then 2-3 "away" games, 1 true road game at a marquee opponent, 1 neutral site game against a big name in a big Texas city, and 1 kinda "flex" game if we're only playing a 2-game tourney early on.  Baked into that 1-2 true road games and 8 home games, is the SEC and Big East contract games.  If we don't end up doing a 2-game tourney, we could keep 1 date for a big home game.  And give up 1 to do a cool neutral site game on the West Coast like Beard and Hartzell and Eltife have been clamoring for (I'm guessing Los Angeles or Bay Area, but possibly Seattle).  

On 5/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, Lobo said:

I thought they used Chicago as the Gotham City in the last big batman trilogy?  So confused.  

Locations used as inspiration or filming locations for Gotham City in the live-action Batman films and television series have included Chicago,[11][12] Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, New York City, Newark, New Jersey, London and Glasgow.[13][14][15][16][17][18]

/nerd derail

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Locations used as inspiration or filming locations for Gotham City in the live-action Batman films and television series have included Chicago,[11][12] Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, New York City, Newark, New Jersey, London and Glasgow.[13][14][15][16][17][18]

/nerd derail

I don’t think Gotham is Newark, though. It’s usually placed in south NJ, across from Metropolis in Delaware.

36 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I will give Shaka a tiny amount of credit for all these graduations. He at least seemed to keep the guys focused on getting their degrees.

Perhaps Shaka had them skip practice so they could focus on academics - and all be the anti-Cardale Jones.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

I feel like there have been a shitload of football players who have done just that recently, but maybe the distinction is they did it in 3&1/2 years as opposed to 3. And I agree, given the fact that the basketball season crosses over into both the fall and spring semesters, it's impressive to see it done by a basketball player. That being said, with the trend towards athletes maintaining a fulltime curriculum year round as opposed to just going part-time during the summer (if they have classes at all) over the past 20 years I feel like it's become more routine. The sudden deluge of grad transfers with 2 years of remaining eligibility is proof of this phenomenon becoming more common.   

It is a smart move for all athletes.  Get the degree ASAP.  Then if you aren't a major pro prospect, get a graduate degree.  A whole lot of value for the athlete there.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:11 PM, conVINCEd said:

If you’re an early enrollee and go to summer school full time it’s normal.  I worked summers to have some money for the fall and summer.  If UT was picking up the tab I would’ve graduated a year and a half early.

I would guess some of them are bringing some dual credit hours with them from high school as well.

Guest Lobo
23 hours ago, Machinator said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that'll be the first sellout at the new Moody Center.  Hopefully, first of many.