Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

alright, that post about hill sent me down a horns hoops rabbit hole. Hill basically didn't play at all until the 95-96 season ( 117 mins in first 3 yrs). He was the definition of a scrub. Here's that teams stats: 

image.thumb.png.2b97fa8aeaa99bdb063cf53f54bb8d10.png

Not a lot of NBA minutes on our roster. So Penders takes a squad with Hill as his 3rd leading scorer and minutes played guy, and still manages to make the second round of the tourney, losing to Duncan's 9th ranked (#2 seed)  Wake Forest team 65-62.  I vaguely remember watching that wake game at HiTops in Wrigleyville (great bar back in the day), and we had our chances. Holy hell, Shaka was a no coaching bum.

I had the displeasure of guarding Sonny Alvarado in the semifinals of a 3on3 tournament.  I’m 6’1”.  That ended poorly. /csb

• Like 1

2 hours ago, someguy said:

Thoughts on Avery Benson as roster depth?

No disrespect to a D1 player, but he'd be JAG. Probably better than a random walk-on though.

His worth would be more in the fact that he has an entire career in Beard's system and culture. Could be a good team leader in those regards.

Edited by MuellerHorn

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Isn't he the same guy as Perryman? I guess it is good to have guys that can make you practice defense BTA, which is Beard's calling card anyway.

Avery Benson isn't known for his shooting. He's a hustle/defensive guy in the vein of Brock Cunningham. I remember he had a real good showing a few years back ago against both Louisville and Duke when Tech played them. I'm sure Tech fans could offer more on him. 

13 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Avery Benson isn't known for his shooting. He's a hustle/defensive guy in the vein of Brock Cunningham. I remember he had a real good showing a few years back ago against both Louisville and Duke when Tech played them. I'm sure Tech fans could offer more on him. 

This.

High energy.  Has his biggest moments in the biggest games.  Fills in the gaps between the star players.

All fucking heart and effort.  It will hurt to see this guy in burnt orange.  I get it, but it still sucks.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, MuellerHorn said:

No disrespect to a D1 player, but he'd be JAG. Probably better than a random walk-on though.

His worth would be more in the fact that he has an entire career in Beard's system and culture. Could be a good team leader in those regards.

Every young man on the team has a role. If this young man knows his role and embraces his role, he is a definite take.

Depth chart With the addition of Perryman and Benson:

G Askew/Ramey/TBD

G Jones/Febres/Perryman*

G/F Allen/Tyson/Benson*

F Bishop/Cunningham

F Disu/TBD

I think they’ll add another big man, whether it’s Sims or another decent player who will fit in the top 8 of the rotation; that’s the only real need I see.  They may also take another walk-on or Sr. who can play PG. But otherwise I think they’re done.  They’ll carry 13 guys with 2 of those being walk-ons.

If that remaining big is the caliber of Sims or better, this is a Top 10 roster.

Edited by Snake Diggity

Depth chart With the addition of Perryman and Benson:
G Askew/Ramey/TBD
G Jones/Febres/Perryman*
G/F Allen/Tyson/Benson*
F Bishop/Cunningham
F Disu/TBD
I think they’ll add another big man, whether it’s Sims or another decent player who will fit in the top 8 of the rotation; that’s the only real need I see.  They may also take another walk-on or Sr. who can play PG. But otherwise I think they’re done.  They’ll carry 13 guys with 2 of those being walk-ons.
If that remaining big is the caliber of Sims or better, this is a Top 10 roster.

I don’t see Askew starting over Ramey. For me, Ramey, Jones and Allen are all starting and playing crunch time. The big question to me is which two of Askew, Bishop and Disu are in the closing 5.

I think it will be: Askew, Ramey, Jones, Allen and Disu. I realize that is smaller than what we are used to, but is it so different than what Baylor won the title with (height wise)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry

Spoiler

The workouts have begun for the current Texas roster. Inside Texas has changed the heights of Jaylon Tyson to 6-foot-7 and Christian Bishop to 6-foot-8. Both have continued to impress early on, Tyson with his shooting ability, passing ability and overall skill level at his height. The overall high-major experience on the roster is already showing in understanding of work and team.

The work is not done, however, as the staff is still planning to add another big as a key piece. A strong ball handling guard is also possible if the right fit presents itself. As far as the top candidates to fill the final front court spot, Texas continues to have a legit shot at Tre Mitchell with increased positive communication in the last couple of days.

Edited by Machinator

On 6/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, Blotto said:

alright, that post about hill sent me down a horns hoops rabbit hole. Hill basically didn't play at all until the 95-96 season ( 117 mins in first 3 yrs). He was the definition of a scrub. Here's that teams stats: 

image.thumb.png.2b97fa8aeaa99bdb063cf53f54bb8d10.png

Not a lot of NBA minutes on our roster. So Penders takes a squad with Hill as his 3rd leading scorer and minutes played guy, and still manages to make the second round of the tourney, losing to Duncan's 9th ranked (#2 seed)  Wake Forest team 65-62.  I vaguely remember watching that wake game at HiTops in Wrigleyville (great bar back in the day), and we had our chances. Holy hell, Shaka was a no coaching bum.

Man, we led that Wake game almost the entire way and faded at the end. Sonny Alvarado missed a point blank putback at a critical moment in that game, an event which caused me to fire my remote against the couch as hard as I could. Somehow, geometry and karma conspired to send said remote directly back into my right eye. Good times…

That was the last of three straight tournament losses to teams with big men who went #1 (Duncan and Joe Smith) and #5 (Juwan Howard) overall in the NBA draft. A guy like James Thomas on one of those post-BMW Penders teams would have put us in the sweet 16 two of those years…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Shaka had something similar but his camp focused on mental/spiritual I believe. This is more of what I want to see.

yeah these are actual workouts that a basketball team will typically do, just super early and outdoors. shaka had our guys dunking themselves in ice baths and inflating watercrafts to improve team building. Shaka is way more Tony Robbins than he is Tony Bennett.

• Hook 'Em 1