Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

32 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Adding Marcus Carr to this roster would put it in historic territory.  

Carr/Askew/Febres

Jones/Ramey/Perryman

Allen/Tyson/Benson

Bishop/Cunningham 

Disu/Mitchell

Only concern then is can Beard manage the chemistry when a guy like Askew or Mitchell is coming off the bench or when a guy like Febres or Tyson is only getting 5-10 min per game.

Disu and Bishop are going to be the ones battling for minutes at the 4. 

There's no chance Mitchell is coming off the bench. He's going to be the starting 5. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Yeah, I think Bishop is the most underrated transfer we've added. 

He put up 15/11 in the first round of the NCAA tournament, 12/15 in the second round, and 12/5 in the Sweet 16. He only played 21 minutes against Gonzaga which didn't make much sense because he looked like the best player in that game going 6 of 9 from the field. 

Bishop can't shoot at all but he's a very good player. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

This is a top 5 team in terms of talent, depth, experience, and coaching.  Probably the deepest basketball team Texas has ever had.  There’s no TJ Ford, LaMarcus Aldridge, or Kevin Durant on this team, but there’s probably 8 dudes who have a very real chance to play in the NBA.  Unreal job by Beard out of the gate.

There are no remaining needs, but there’s still 1 or 2 scholarships left.  Wouldn’t mind seeing Beard take on a development project who wouldn’t mind riding pine for a year, and/or an experienced PG who wouldn’t demand a ton of PT.

Here's the deepest team Texas has ever had, compared with the current roster for the upcoming season:

2010 Texas:

G- Doj Balbay

G- J'Covan Brown

G- Avery Bradley 

G- Justin Mason

G- Jai Lucas

G/F- Jordan Hamilton

F- Damion James

F- Gary Johnson

F- Alexis Wangmene

C- Dexter Pittman

2022 Texas:

G- Courtney Ramey

G- Andrew Jones

G- Jaylon Tyson

G- Devin Askew

G- Jase Febres 

F- Timmy Allen

F- Dylan Disu 

F- Christian Bishop

F- Brock Cunningham 

C- Tre Mitchell

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

as weird as this sounds, i feel like this team could have used Gerald Liddell. he wouldn't have a huge role, but wing depth is the one place where this team is lacking. you add to that the inevitability of injuries, and it's kind of a shame that he's already gone. he fits the mold of the kind of player i'd like to add to this roster. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

as weird as this sounds, i feel like this team could have used Gerald Liddell. he wouldn't have a huge role, but wing depth is the one place where this team is lacking. you add to that the inevitability of injuries, and it's kind of a shame that he's already gone. he fits the mold of the kind of player i'd like to add to this roster. 

…and…

B A M ! !

Pittman drops a 3 from 30 feet out while you’re looking around for wing depth!

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I actually think Hepa would be a good add too. But give me a pg and let’s roll. This is getting ready to be fun and you know it.

oh indeed. i canceled my season tickets after 2016, but i've made my deposit to re-up and i cannot wait to get back out to the FEC to watch a talented *and* well-coaches group play ball.

on that note, we should all know by now that Beard's teams sometimes don't play exceptionally well during November and December, and that they usually end up playing their best ball in March and April. as stupid-talented as we are, i just want to state for the record that i will be totally unfazed should we experience some growing pains during the early part of the season. with this many new faces all trying to adapt to new roles, it will surely take some time for this team to jell and then hit their stride. all that matters is how we play in the conference and postseason, and for the first time in a long time i am very confident that we are totally prepared for these challenges.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

oh indeed. i canceled my season tickets after 2016, but i've made my deposit to re-up and i cannot wait to get back out to the FEC to watch a talented *and* well-coaches group play ball.
on that note, we should all know by now that Beard's teams sometimes don't play exceptionally well during November and December, and that they usually end up playing their best ball in March and April. as stupid-talented as we are, i just want to state for the record that i will be totally unfazed should we experience some growing pains during the early part of the season. with this many new faces all trying to adapt to new roles, it will surely take some time for this team to jell and then hit their stride. all that matters is how we play in the conference and postseason, and for the first time in a long time i am very confident that we are totally prepared for these challenges.

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out argument.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Great post shadow.  We are gonna have to temper expectations in the first 1/3-1/2 of the season.  It's not just a large number of "new guys" learning a new coach's system, with our veterans also adapting, but it's also 6 transfers.  It's not like it's 6 recruits from 6 heralded high school programs with coaches who had a way of doing things....let's be honest, high school programs (even the elite ones) are nowhere near as complex as a Big XII program.  This is 6 guys who have their own way of doing things for 2-4 years already.  It's gonna take awhile to gel. 

Beard seems to have a reputation for aggressive scheduling, but that may take a step back this season so we can get our act together.  Speaking of scheduling, a friend up there says everything is set except for an early season tourney invitation.  We are apparently speaking with one and only one, and if that doesn't pan out we will fill that in with two neutral site games with larger programs.  The league is set to drop the schedule (barring any Covid-19 disasters) in about a month.  So we should have the whole thing in focus by 1st of August.  I know Beard wants to build momentum and ticket sales, so maybe even a bit earlier...before football becomes the dominant narrative again.  

But it is just unreal what he has amassed in such a short time.  I knew he'd hit the portal but to get this many all-conference guys from quality schools to come here and join our veterans (despite what we're losing to the draft)...it's just bizarre...in a good way.  And most of the early arrivals are on campus already and in class.  One of them is in my lecture tomorrow (csb).  Beard seems to be doing things the right way (not that Smart didn't, he was just overly complacent).  It's been 2 years of malaise for me as a Longhorn fan, but now I don't know how to spread the fervor between baseball, basketball, and then football.  Plus my daughter is really into volleyball and tennis now.  

Let us enjoy these days of glory.  And by days, I mean a decade of them.  

TTU fans are beside themselves that Goodman has been praising Beard and Texas, and they've been going nuts on twitter over anything Beard related. I'm sure they've filled his inbox with angry, hateful diatribes to the point where he's now actively enjoying twisting the knife. what's funny is that Goodman has been a big believer the idea that Beard is an elite coach for a while now. they sure thought highly of Goodman's takes prior to Beard leaving Lubbock to come home. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I understand that the team might struggle early in the season because of having not played in the system and having not played together, but I think 3 things run counter to that:

These guys are really fucking talented.

Beard has experience with this sort of thing.

These players are more mature.  These aren’t HS guys, these are guys who are used to the grind of college athletics and have a better understanding of the work and self-sacrifice required to win.

Im not gonna freak out if they don’t bust out of the gate to win 20 straight, but I do expect this team to win pretty consistently all season, start to finish.

Edited by Snake Diggity

19 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Still still lacks a true PG and ball handling in general (outside of new transfers). Tournament success usually follows strong guard play, and it looks like we are full of 2 and combo guards with no true PG?

Baylor just won the national title with a bunch of combo guards that can score, shoot and defend. 

That's pretty much basketball these days. 

• Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

How will this roster look regarding 3 point shots, because our guards last year seemed inconsistent. 

Beard's teams don't rely heavily on a barrage of threes. They do generally well when they take them.  If players think they are going to just jack them up like they did the past few years, their asses will be parked on the bench.

Big XII team rankings:

2017 8th made/ Tied for 9th attempts

2018 7th made/ 9th attempts

2019 7th/ 9th

2020 4th/ 7th

2021 10th/ 10th

Beard's teams make up those points with defensive stops, generally speaking.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

There is one true shooter on the roster.

We shot nearly 36% from 3 last year with less than ideal shot selection. Which was good enough for 80th in the nation and 3rd in the conference. That's pretty good in my eyes. There's a greater than 0 chance that we'll improve in the upcoming year with much better shot selection and more focus on interior and midrange play.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Team notes from Gerry

Spoiler

The Texas 2021-22 roster is near completion, with only another guard a possibility to finalize the roster if the right fit ends up pulling out of the NBA Draft.

The Men’s Basketball program announced on Saturday that Tre Mitchell has official signed an Athletic Scholarship Agreement (ASA).

https://texassports.com/news/2021/6/17/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-signs-tre-mitchell.aspx

The early reports on Mitchell, who is on campus and ready to take part in team workouts next week, is the 6-foot-8.5 sophomore has a pure stroke and the skill showed at UMass is already apparent.

Transfer power forward Christian Bishop continues to impress with his feel for the game, effort level and ability to play well above the rim. Improving in the face up game and converting at the free throw line will key for the 6-foot-8 junior if he is to take his game to another level.

Senior guard Andrew Jones has been competing on both ends of the floor, and doing so consistently. IT was told it’s been easy to see he’s continuing to gain strength, and confidence in that returning strength.

Junior guard Courtney Ramey has been on the floor multiple times fighting for 50-50 balls. He’s buying in just how the coaching wants. And he learned how to ride a bike this week!*

Freshman wing/guard Jaylon Tyson continues to show impressive skill and passing ability. At 6-foot-7, his ability to shoot the ball from three can be a differentiator. He’s adjusting to having quick and more athletic close outs and contests from players with more length, but the early returns are favorable.

*The reason I put that in there ... Texas is going to actually market basketball for the first time ever. They are going to be rolling out stories on players on the roster ... Timmy Allen's story will be a tremendous one.

I laughed in Billy Madison's voice.  I'm also wondering what the fuck just happened to Ramey's draft stock next year.  

Scout------

Pros:  Passing in transition, 41% from beyond the arc, aggressive defender

Cons:  Turnovers, can't finish near the basket, and questions about coordination/balance---didn't bother with bicycles until age 21.5 years of age.  

GM------

Okay.  But how do you know that...could just be some internet rumor bullshit.

Scout------

There's a 60 minute special about it every other day on the Longhorn Network.  

Edited by Lobo

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

There is one true shooter on the roster.

if you mean Jase, he's more a of a catch-and-shoot guy, and not a pure shooter who can create his own shot. and if you mean Tyson, he's a true freshman, and true freshmen are almost never great shooters in year one, no matter how great they were in HS. i don't think we've had a true freshman who could really shoot since KD/TJ.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you mean Jase, he's more a of a catch-and-shoot guy, and not a pure shooter who can create his own shot. and if you mean Tyson, he's a true freshman, and true freshmen are almost never great shooters in year one, no matter how great they were in HS. i don't think we've had a true freshman who could really shoot since KD/TJ.

Perryman.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

The aforementioned Ramey shot 39% from 3 as a freshman.  

48 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The aforementioned Ramey shot 39% from 3 as a freshman.  

that's a nice percentage, but Ramey has never been a true shooter, even now. KD, DJ, and Abrams- those are the three guys i can think of from the last ~20 years who came into Texas as freshman and could really shoot the ball. i'm talking true shooters- not hitting a nice percentage of catch-and-shoot threes, but actually being able to shoot anywhere, any time- off the dribble, mid range, step back, whatever it is- they can really shoot the ball and are a real threat that the defense has to game plan for. it's very rare to see that. 

to add- a true shooter doesn't necessarily have to have every single one of those shots in his bag- we all know that AJ was mostly a catch-and-shoot guy who didn't come inside the 3-point line. but AJ was a pure shooter with a great and reliable shot, even as a freshman. again, that's rare. you can very rarely count on a freshman to be a legit shooter.