Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

23 hours ago, Sal said:

Rick Barnes was willing to schedule home-and-homes with quality opponents, which is another easy way to get fans to show up in the fall. Shaka to his credit did the same for the first few years before the schedule quality tailed off by the end of his tenure. Beard put together an awful schedule this year that didn't even include a real preseason tournament. The Abe Lemons Classic was a load of bullshit. Put good teams on the schedule to face your good team in your good arena. It's not hard. 

Honest question. Beard was hired in early April and probably had to spend the majority of his initial focus in Austin assembling his roster . How far in advance are college basketball games scheduled. I always figured home and home series  against opponents like Michigan St, North Carolina, Tenn are scheduled out a least a year ahead of time and the only games that get slotted in a few months ahead of time are the filler #200 and up type schools. For that matter, how far in advance do they select teams for the marquee tourneys like the maui invitational, etc....

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

ESP+??

Why wouldn't this game be on regular TV?

Signed, 

A Poor

Because the Big 12 has a stupid media contract and a certain number of games per year go to ESPN+

Goodbye you dying shit heap of a conference  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Blotto said:

Honest question. Beard was hired in early April and probably had to spend the majority of his initial focus in Austin assembling his roster . How far in advance are college basketball games scheduled. I always figured home and home series  against opponents like Michigan St, North Carolina, Tenn are scheduled out a least a year ahead of time and the only games that get slotted in a few months ahead of time are the filler #200 and up type schools. For that matter, how far in advance do they select teams for the marquee tourneys like the maui invitational, etc....

There's far more leeway in college basketball. Home and home series with top flight opponents are often set up 6 months to a year prior to the first game of the series. Early season and holiday tournaments are typically only set up 6 to 8 months prior to taking place. 

I believe we were supposed to play in either the early season NIT or another New York based holiday tournament (coach's against cancer maybe?) this season, but our participation was canceled and the hastily put together Abe Lemons classic took the place of those games. Every offseason around May or June @Lobo or someone else typically post newly scheduled games or tournaments for the upcoming year's schedule. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:24 PM, ztejas said:

All that's nice - but Texas is the better team right now. 

Obviously it's on the road. Feels very toss-upy. (TEX is actually -2)

Iowa State ranked 15 in Ames isn’t a toss up. Their fans are a bit more lively than ours unfortunately

I don't want his 2nd half to get in the way of acknowledging that Marcus Carr played embarassing me-first basketball in the first half of that game. 

Anyone criticizing Beard for any of this is out of their depth. Beard needs the right players. Guys like Tre Mitchell and Carr and holdovers like AJ and Ramey that aren't talented enough to further their careers are the main issue. Let's get Mitchell and Morris in the door and go from there. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't want his 2nd half to get in the way of acknowledging that Marcus Carr played embarassing me-first basketball in the first half of that game. 
Anyone criticizing Beard for any of this is out of their depth. Beard needs the right players. Guys like Tre Mitchell and Carr and holdovers like AJ and Ramey that aren't talented enough to further their careers are the main issue. Let's get Mitchell and Morris in the door and go from there. 

u serious?

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Our tournament resume fucking blows 

We ain't missing the tourney. Who wants this team as an 8 seed? 

We gave Shaka's bum aas 6 fucking years. Can we wait until after year 1 to call it on Beard? Curious to see what these guys do in March. 

Just now, ztejas said:

We ain't missing the tourney. Who wants this team as an 8 seed? 

We gave Shaka's bum aas 6 fucking years. Can we wait until after year 1 to call it on Beard? Curious to see what these guys do in March. 

Our tournament resume still fucking blows - at this moment. Our best win is over OU at home. 

I didn’t make a definitive statement about our tournament chances. Just that our resume blows. 

we still don't know how much of this is on Beard, and how much of this is due to the fact that we assembled this team essentially overnight, and none of these guys know how to play together. so many new faces, all of whom are used to playing a bigger, more focal point type role than they're playing, now finding themselves in different roles surrounded by new faces running a new system in a new conference. yeah, we kinda suck right about now, but that doesn't mean that we are a finished product, or that this is our ceiling, or that Beard sucks. he's been coaching here for all of three months. why don't we chill the F out, remember that we're playing with house money, and hope to see some much needed improvement. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we still don't know how much of this is on Beard, and how much of this is due to the fact that we assembled this team essentially overnight, and none of these guys know how to play together. so many new faces, all of whom are used to playing a bigger, more focal point type role than they're playing, now finding themselves in different roles surrounded by new faces running a new system in a new conference. yeah, we kinda suck right about now, but that doesn't mean that we are a finished product, or that this is our ceiling, or that Beard sucks. he's been coaching here for all of three months. why don't we chill the F out, remember that we're playing with house money, and hope to see some much needed improvement. 

Pretty much. If the team looks this disjointed next year, then I'll join the Beard sucks crowd, but he inherited a roster with 3 players on it. Putting together a cohesive roster was always going to be a huge challenge. Having said that, we really need to get better on offense. We have more offensive talent than our system is allowing to show in games right now.

What the hell is even our roster next year? Bishop, Allen, Ramey, Jones, Febres, Carr are gone.  Does Mitchell and Disu stay for another year?

Askew, T. Mitchell, D. Mitchell, Morris, Cunningham, Disu, Brumbaugh and…whatever transfers we find? 

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This team is painful….in an eye bleeding sort of way…to watch.

So the true believers say we’ll do shit in the Tournament because we play great defense?

Woooohoooo. Win an 8/9 game and lose to a No. 1 after going 8-10 in Conference. Out fucking standing

we'll be lucky to be an 8 seed.

9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This team is painful….in an eye bleeding sort of way…to watch.

So the true believers say we’ll do shit in the Tournament because we play great defense?

Woooohoooo. Win an 8/9 game and lose to a No. 1 after going 8-10 in Conference. Out fucking standing

What did you expect this year?

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Pretty much. If the team looks this disjointed next year, then I'll join the Beard sucks crowd, but he inherited a roster with 3 players on it. Putting together a cohesive roster was always going to be a huge challenge. Having said that, we really need to get better on offense. We have more offensive talent than our system is allowing to show in games right now.

I dunno if we do though. Carr is a volume scorer that has to rely on the midrange. Jones and Ramey are Jones and Ramey. I think we need to find ways to get more looks for Allen and Bishop. Both are pretty good scorers for bigs but we don’t work a lot to get them good chances near the rim. 

Having a real guard who can break players down on the dribble and attack on the PnR though I think solves basically all the offensive issues. Hopefully Morris is truly that guy.

Edited by hobbes2702

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I dunno if we do though. Carr is a volume scorer that has to rely on the midrange. Jones and Ramey are Jones and Ramey. I think we need to find ways to get more looks for Allen and Bishop. Both are pretty good scorers for bigs but we don’t work a lot to get them good chances near the rim. 

Having a really guard who can break players down on the dribble and attack on the PnR though I think solves basically all the offensive issues. Hopefully Morris is truly that guy.

Beard doesn't run a pick and roll offense.