Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Because you need guys to stick around to help pass culture on to the next set of guys coming in. Right now, the only projected returning players are Disu and Askew.

Brock is only a redshirt junior and personally I'd rather have AJ1 return for his 7th season than Carr. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Because you need guys to stick around to help pass culture on to the next set of guys coming in. Right now, the only projected returning players are Disu and Askew.

Cunningham. You’re still making a good point, but that’s a bad name to leave off culture wise. 

I’d love it if Ramey returned. Don’t expect it, and I wasn’t always a fan of his in prior seasons, but he made me a believer this year. 

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Brock is only a redshirt junior and personally I'd rather have AJ1 return for his 7th season than Carr. 

I’d love to have Carr playing the 2 guard with Morris at the point. Carr is pretty good midrange game and we almost never get to see him work off the catch and shoot. A point like Morris that can collapse the defense elevates Carr’s game a lot imo.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d love to know what beard’s priority is for the portal and how many spots he will have to fill with it. My bet is he knows the longer guys play on his system the better they get and he will opt to keep as many guys here as possible if they can and want too.

I don’t think there’s anyone on this roster he wouldn’t welcome back.

Doesn’t mean they’re going to play, though. He definitely has an IDGAF attitude towards players’ playing time. He’s going to put the guys on the court that he thinks gives him the best chance to win, and that starts with how well they can play his man to man switching defense. 

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Cunningham. You’re still making a good point, but that’s a bad name to leave off culture wise. 

I’d love it if Ramey returned. Don’t expect it, and I wasn’t always a fan of his in prior seasons, but he made me a believer this year. 

Cunnigham is leaving. It was pretty apparent with his tweet he sent out after the game.

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Ramey is the last guy I want to return. His inability to convert on those layups during our draught was just absolutely brutal. For all his defensive prowess, he is so limited athletically. Give me a guy like Taze Moore over Ramey every day of the week.

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t think there’s anyone on this roster he wouldn’t welcome back.

Doesn’t mean they’re going to play, though. He definitely has an IDGAF attitude towards players’ playing time. He’s going to put the guys on the court that he thinks gives him the best chance to win, and that starts with how well they can play his man to man switching defense. 

Very interesting thing about Tre, if he transfers again, he has to sit out a year. So, his only options are mea culpa with Beard or overseas.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Ah. That’s a bummer. Is he transferring or going into coaching/broadcasting?

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He's done with basketball, at least as a player. Maybe he's a grad assistant for Beard. Which I would be fine with.

Graduating into real life, I'm sure.  He's an advertising major and has his own hat line. 

14 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Ramey got a bad wrap. People were too hard on him for his undisciplined offensive play while playing for a coach who didn't stress discipline. From my vantage point he always had the highest defensive IQ on the team and routinely got guys in position and rarely made defensive mistakes. I hate that he played during such an uneventful era of UT basketball, he'd be remembered much more fondly had he played in more highly leveraged games.  And people don't give him enough credit for being a defensive stalwart despite being athletically limited.  His melanin quotient obscures the fact that the dude is really a below average D1 athlete. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Ramey got a bad wrap. People were too hard on him for his undisciplined offensive play while playing for a coach who didn't stress discipline. From my vantage point he always had the highest defensive IQ on the team and routinely got guys in position and rarely made defensive mistakes. I hate that he played during such an uneventful era of UT basketball, he'd be remembered much more fondly had he played in more highly leveraged games.  People don't give him enough credit for being a defensive stalwart despite being athletically limited.  His melanin quotient disguises the fact that the dude is really a below average D1 athlete. 

We used to give Justin Mason a hard time, but damn if Ramey had a fraction of his athleticism.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’d love to have Carr playing the 2 guard with Morris at the point. Carr is pretty good midrange game and we almost never get to see him work off the catch and shoot. A point like Morris that can collapse the defense elevates Carr’s game a lot imo.

agree with this.  I'd take either Carr or AJ1 returning but would prefer Carr with Morris.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Not wanting Carr to come back is a weird take 

Right?

Like yeah he was frustrating at times.  But 39% shooter, 33.8% from three, 76.9% FT who lead the team in minutes (30.8 mpg) and 11.4 ppg with 117 assists, 32 steals and a couple of rebounds per game. 

15 points (3-5 from three), 9 assist, 2 steals in the first round
23 points (4-8 from three), 7 assists in the second round

Like hell yeah, I want him back. I do not turn down good players who want to play another year in this system with a full offseason. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

I guess I'm being hard on Carr. My belief is just that in order for Beard's defense to really be optimized we need bigger, more athletic guards filling out our roster.  His post defense gets a lot more fierce when he has long armed and athletic wings defending post entry phases as opposed to multiple guys like Carr, Ramey, and even Askew. Also while Carr's offensive skillset bailed us out under the current context of our offense his style will clutter the lane if we have more guys capable of slashing into it.  Plus, I'd have to see his synergy numbers to be certain,  but Carr seems like one of those rarities in cbb in being a guy who is a better shooter off the dribble than he is off the catch which would be a problem if we have more guys capable of driving and kicking on the roster next year. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Even though Beard likes his guys to be able to switch, he probably wants to add a defensive big that can handle the Edey’s and Williams of the world. A respected basketball poster on 247 was advocating for a transfer big from UT Arlington. He’s not great offensively, but he can guard bigs and block shots 

5 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

Even though Beard likes his guys to be able to switch, he probably wants to add a defensive big that can handle the Edey’s and Williams of the world. A respected basketball poster on 247 was advocating for a transfer big from UT Arlington. He’s not great offensively, but he can guard bigs and block shots 

Ironically, I just created the '22-'23 thread and mentioned him. Who knows where he'll end up, but Beard won't be without options.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've seen Morris play. He's an athletic freak with a ton of upside, but his overall game still needs plenty of development.  Carr has his issues but his overall game is still ahead of Morris's IMO.  Morris brings a little different skill set than Carr so it's not apples to apples.

I don't know what people's expectations are in regard to Morris but I don't see him coming in and immediately taking Carr's spot, assuming Carr comes back next year. He'll obviously play a ton and will be fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I've seen Morris play. He's an athletic freak with a ton of upside, but his overall game still needs plenty of development.  Carr has his issues but his overall game is still ahead of Morris's IMO.  Morris brings a little different skill set than Carr so it's not apples to apples.

I don't know what people's expectations are in regard to Morris but I don't see him coming in and immediately taking Carr's spot, assuming Carr comes back next year. He'll obviously play a ton and will be fun to watch.

carr will start it will just likely be at the 2.

So... I can't remember which thread I posted it on, but I still have the same question...  

Who do we have that can get their own shot, besides AJ1?

Yes, we need some bigger bodies to defend and rebound, but I'm less concerned about defense and more concerned with how we seem to just stall out offensively for long stretches.

Just now, Snacks said:

So... I can't remember which thread I posted it on, but I still have the same question...  

Yes, we need some bigger bodies to defend and rebound, but I'm less concerned about defense and more concerned with how we seem to just stall out offensively for long stretches.

I don’t think of Jones as great at getting his own shot. Frankly, Carr was better at that with his step back. Wasn’t always a great shot, but he could get it off just about any time he wanted. 

Incoming freshmen Morris and Mitchell are at least NBA prospects with a much higher ceiling than the current roster, so we’ll see how that plays out. Plenty of players in the portal from last year match your description, so I feel confident plenty of players in this year’s portal will, too.

Just remember your priority is not Beard’s priority. Jones in particular went through stretches this season where he didn’t see the floor much because of perceived poor effort on the defensive end.

Beard’s clear priorities are defense, including defensive rebounds, don’t turn the ball over, be able to set and rub off screens, and after all that show an ability to score. I’m not saying that can’t be frustrating to you. I’m more saying be prepared to be frustrated. 

11 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Next year Morris will be one of those guys but I'm sure it will come with growing pains. 

At Tech Beard filled his rosters with guys like Culver, Shannon, McCullar, Zhaire Smith, Jahmius Ramsay, and a shitload of wings/guards who were 6'3" to 6'7" and athletic.  I can't say that we've ever had that at Texas over the last 20+ years.  Certainly not since the Penders days with Clack, Vasquez, and Freeman. This is biggest change about Beard's approach that I'm the most excited about. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

What will be interesting is to see how Beard manages the roster this off season with '23-'24 in mind.

Let's say AJ1, Allen, Benson, Bishop, and Carr all return. Each individually only have one year remaining.

Next, Morris and Mitchell both probably believe they're one-and-done type players. Based on Beard's system and the group returning (sans Benson), their stats are unlikely to reflect it - at least in the first half of the season. However, they may very well play themselves into first-round status. Thus, this is seven players that give Texas one year of play on the roster next season.

Cunningham, Febres, and Licon are gone, and Mitchell is very likely gone. Let's say Ramey is also gone. That's five open spots. Askew (two years?), Perryman (four more years?), Disu (two more years?) are all that's left from the current roster, with Brumbaugh having just completed his first year. 

I'd have to believe that Beard will target transfers with multiple years of eligibility remaining this off season. He could, of course, take a ton of transfers for year three, as I doubt he'll take a huge freshman class for 23-'24 (not his operating style.

Edited by MuellerHorn

I know I got roasted for my critique of Timmy Allen after the Tech game, but last night still showed that he can disappear at the worst times.  He simply isn't that good when playing against bigger, more physical players.

• Tech game 1:  5 points (2/6 shooting)
  • Tech game 2:  6 pts (2/6 shooting)
  • Kansas game 2:  9 points (2/15 shooting)
  • Purdue:  2 points (1/6 shooting)

If he really wants to make it to the NBA, he would be wise to take a page from the PJ Tucker playbook and reinvent himself as a shooting guard.  (Of course PJ is more athletic and has a 7' wingspan, but their sneaky game around the basket is similar). 

At times Timmy will bring it up the court and looks decent doing so.  He isn't a bad distributor.  If he REALLY worked on his ball handling and especially his shooting, maybe he can make the transition.  I mean, he only made four 3s all year. That is no way to get to the NBA as a 6'6 player.  If I was Beard, that would be my selling point to get him to stay another year.

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Catdaddyhorn said it best up there.  Ramey showed a lot of maturity in his development and learning control, not always going for the hero shot.   

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Cunnigham is leaving. It was pretty apparent with his tweet he sent out after the game.

Brock and Shay Holle are still dating?  That could lead to some pretty sweet basketball legacies around campus in a couple of decades.  

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If Cunningham is finished playing basketball at Texas, he’ll end his career with 151 fouls and 141 points.

And with the pride of knowing he was a valuable member of the team for multiple seasons, even if some of our shit-ass fans were too shit-ass to appreciate him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Not that anyone cares, but Coach Beard totally won me over in Milwaukee. First games I’ve seen him coach in person as I live in NOVA now (NOVAHorn is taken though). All the other teams I saw at open practice were just shooting around. Our guys were doing FT competitions with the whole team/staff doing push-ups if someone missed, had coaches and players mixing it up diving for loose balls as a game, took the last minute to throw t shirts to fans, etc. Our guys just had way more energy and passion than any of the other teams.

And we fought like hell in both games. I was really happy with our culture/spirit as a team. Shots just didn’t fall for us.

I’m 100% on board. Obviously I was pulling for us every game this year like usual, but it was clear in person why we hired him and why he’s been so successful in his career.

PS I flew through Detroit today. My old stomping grounds!!! 😁😉

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HookEm said:

I know I got roasted for my critique of Timmy Allen after the Tech game, but last night still showed that he can disappear at the worst times.  He simply isn't that good when playing against bigger, more physical players.

• Tech game 1:  5 points (2/6 shooting)
  • Tech game 2:  6 pts (2/6 shooting)
  • Kansas game 2:  9 points (2/15 shooting)
  • Purdue:  2 points (1/6 shooting)

If he really wants to make it to the NBA, he would be wise to take a page from the PJ Tucker playbook and reinvent himself as a shooting guard.  (Of course PJ is more athletic and has a 7' wingspan, but their sneaky game around the basket is similar). 

At times Timmy will bring it up the court and looks decent doing so.  He isn't a bad distributor.  If he REALLY worked on his ball handling and especially his shooting, maybe he can make the transition.  I mean, he only made four 3s all year. That is no way to get to the NBA as a 6'6 player.  If I was Beard, that would be my selling point to get him to stay another year.

I don’t see NBA in his future.  He can maybe get himself an overseas contract if he develops an outside shot.  It looks pretty rough right now though.   BTW he’s really about 6’5

20 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

At Tech Beard filled his rosters with guys like Culver, Shannon, McCullar, Zhaire Smith, Jahmius Ramsay, and a shitload of wings/guards who were 6'3" to 6'7" and athletic.  I can't say that we've ever had that at Texas over the last 20+ years.  Certainly not since the Penders days with Clack, Vasquez, and Freeman. This is biggest change about Beard's approach that I'm the most excited about. 

Jordan Hamilton says hi 

20 hours ago, Snacks said:

AJ1 struggles to get his own shot. I’m ready for new bodies at the guard spot. Carr can stay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BERT said:

You said past 20 years, i gave an example, so shut up and take it! 

What part of not having rosters FILLED with guys like Jordan Hamilton don't you get?  One name highlights the fact that we didn't have years with MULTIPLE GUARDS/WINGS of that PHYSICAL profile on the SAME team.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

43 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What part of not having rosters FILLED with guys like Jordan Hamilton don't you get?  One name highlights the fact that we didn't have years with MULTIPLE GUARDS/WINGS of that PHYSICAL profile on the SAME team.  

Oh filled. Must of skimmed past that one. Well THEN, carry ON.