Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/03/16/ncaa-basketball-ranking-68-head-coaches-2021-ncaa-tournament/17/

21. Shaka Smart (Texas)

7 NCAA Tournaments (7-7)

There were certainly rumblings that the end had come for Smart at Texas, with the results largely disappointing since his hiring in 2015. He took VCU to a Final Four and a flurry of Tournament bids but just hadn’t turned Texas into a successful program. This season, he’s led the Longhorns as high as #4 in the nation and won the first Big 12 Tournament title in program history. One season doesn’t absolutely change everything unless of course, Texas catches fire in the NCAA Tournament.

13. Rick Barnes (Tennessee)

24 NCAA Tournaments (24-24)

It’s been a long and successful head coaching career for Barnes, who has led four different schools to the NCAA Tournament during a career that dates back almost 35 years. He took Texas to the Final Four during a long run with the Longhorns and has turned Tennessee into one of the top-level teams in the SEC. This past season was a bit disappointing and this isn’t Barnes’ best Tennessee squad, but he’s proven that he’s still one of the game’s top guys.

8. Chris Beard (Texas Tech)

3 NCAA Tournaments (9-3)

Beard has really exploded onto the national scene in recent years. Just six years ago he was still a non-D1 head coach, but the former Bob Knight assistant took Little Rock to 30 wins and an NCAA Tournament upset before returning home to Texas Tech in 2016. When you consider that he’s taken the Red Raiders to a national title game, far more success than Knight or anyone else has accomplished, you can see the wonders he’s been not just for his program but for the competition in the Big 12.

I would take landing Disu over losing Greg Brown any day. We now have elite players at every position except PG, I think. I don't trust Ramey to play that position having seen him panic and turning over under pressure so many times. I am not sure you can teach someone to play point if you don't have the natural skillset. Who are going to play PG next season? Askew and Ramey? Is there anyone in the portal we are targeting? 

3 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I would take landing Disu over losing Greg Brown any day. We now have elite players at every position except PG, I think. I don't trust Ramey to play that position having seen him panic and turning over under pressure so many times. I am not sure you can teach someone to play point if you don't have the natural skillset. Who are going to play PG next season? Askew and Ramey? Is there anyone in the portal we are targeting? 

Going by his composite ranking, Askew would be the 17th best player ever signed by Texas.  I think people are severely underestimating his skillset based on his performance in a year when he should have still been in high school and a very vocal online fanbase in Kentucky.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

It's almost a certainty that Texas is going to add another point/combo guard if Coleman doesn't return. They're actively engaging a bunch of those types currently. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Going by his composite ranking, Askew would be the 17th best player ever signed by Texas.  I think people are severely underestimating his skillset based on his performance in a year when he should have still been in high school and a very vocal online fanbase in Kentucky.

This. Many PGs who start college a year early take a huge leap between year 1 and 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m mentally assuming Askew is the PG next year.   I know Kentucky sucked this year and he was rough, but I doubt we view Askew as having to play off the ball.  Calipari’s dribble drive motion offense is trash when he doesn’t have all-stars running it, and Askew wouldn’t be the first of his guards below the Rose/Wall/Fox tier to struggle as a freshman.  Cal just usually has a max contract guy running point for him so it doesn’t matter.

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Askew is legit but he won't start over Harmon if Texas lands him. 

Although, Harmon is probably more of a 2 guard but I think he can definitely run an offense. 

I don't know which $9.95er reported it today, but the scuttlebutt was Harmon looking unlikely.

Those Disu highlights were for one game versus Kentucky, but he looked like he was at home around the rim. Maybe he does end up playing at the "5" (two PFs starting lineup in actuality).

• Like 1

Gerry

Spoiler

On Wednesday, Vanderbilt power forward and former Pflugerville Hendrickson star Dylan Disu put his name in the portal with the Longhorns heavily favored to be the landing spot for the SEC’s leading rebounder in 2020-21. IT also learned that Georgia portal point guard Sahvir Wheeler has serious interest in Texas, and the prospects for the staff maximizing season one continues to trend positively.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

40 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Reveal hidden contents

On Wednesday, Vanderbilt power forward and former Pflugerville Hendrickson star Dylan Disu put his name in the portal with the Longhorns heavily favored to be the landing spot for the SEC’s leading rebounder in 2020-21. IT also learned that Georgia portal point guard Sahvir Wheeler has serious interest in Texas, and the prospects for the staff maximizing season one continues to trend positively.

10 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

Adding the SEC leaders in rebounding and assists would definitely not suck. Beard is not fucking around.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Hide contents

Ehhh. He averaged 4.4 TOs per game with a 40/23/74 line. That’s pretty inefficient. He did shoot 47/32/70 his first year, so maybe last year was just a bad year for him. 

This roster will probably never happen, but I enjoy thinking about the possibilities, and the anticipation to see who actually signs up.   I haven't had this much fun with Texas MBB since 2014.

1.      SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21) - 102 games played, including 68 starts

2.      SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21) - 104 games played, including 62 starts

3.      CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21) - 25 games played, including 20 starts

4.      G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6, incoming Freshman

5.      F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21) - 41 games played with one start

6.      F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21) - 85 games played, including 82 starts

7.      PF Christian Bishop, 6-7 (11.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks in 2020-21) - 90 games played, including 62 starts

8.      CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

9.      PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

10.   F Dylan Disu, 6-9 (15 points, 9 rebounds, shot 49.2% from the field)

11.   PF Bryson Williams, 6-8, UTEP (15.1 points, 7.4 rebounds in 2020-21)

12.   CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)

13.   C Nick Ongenda, 6-11, DePaul (5.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.5 blocks in 2020-21)

SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 / SG Jase Febres, 6-5

CG Devin Askew, 6-3 / CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 / CG Jacob Young, 6-2

F Timmy Allen, 6-6 / PF Christian Bishop, 6-7 / F Brock Cunningham, 6-5

PF Dylan Disu, 6-9 / PF Bryson Williams, 6-8

PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 / C Nick Ongenda, 6-11

G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6

Edited by Speedway
sp

That roster will never happen but I get what you are smoking. To begin with I’ll be shocked if we go past 11 scholarship players. Unless something changes, again, Sims is back. Disu is in. If we manage to get Ramey back we are a legit elite 8 team. We need a true pg but right now it’s hard to see where that will come from. I expect a new name to pop up in the next week or so. I’m also ok with running Askew at point.

Febres needs to spend his entire offseason shooting spot-up 3’s because that’s all we are going to need him to do. I don’t give a shit if he improves his defense or the rest of his game. Same goes for Brock but I’m not as high on his ceiling as some other people. I’m good with him getting about 7 minutes a game.

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

On Williams, one thing to consider is that he may have a guy that Terry's hired at Fresno and then UTEP. Seems like he's not getting hired at Texas, so if that matters, probably not landing Williams. One of the bots or dorks can figure out whoever the guy is and tell us about it. If that's already being bantered about, I missed it, sorry. Seems like you guys feel like Williams could be the guy. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

If only there was some way to contain you and @SydneyCarton on the football board. Or recruiting, but I digress. Sims from what I hear is 95% coming back so no Williams. My sources are right over half the time so he’s back next year and then skips his 8th senior year to go pro. In sports.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

If only there was some way to contain you and @SydneyCarton on the football board. Or recruiting, but I digress. Sims from what I hear is 95% coming back so no Williams. My sources are right over half the time so he’s back next year and then skips his 8th senior year to go pro. In sports.

I’m sorry, who are you again?

Also, I never come here. Until you tagged me. I generally stay on the recruiting board. So congratulations on all your success. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Speedway said:

This roster will probably never happen, but I enjoy thinking about the possibilities, and the anticipation to see who actually signs up.   I haven't had this much fun with Texas MBB since 2014.

1.      SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21) - 102 games played, including 68 starts

2.      SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21) - 104 games played, including 62 starts

3.      CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21) - 25 games played, including 20 starts

4.      G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6, incoming Freshman

5.      F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21) - 41 games played with one start

6.      F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21) - 85 games played, including 82 starts

7.      PF Christian Bishop, 6-7 (11.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks in 2020-21) - 90 games played, including 62 starts

8.      CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

9.      PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

10.   F Dylan Disu, 6-9 (15 points, 9 rebounds, shot 49.2% from the field)

11.   PF Bryson Williams, 6-8, UTEP (15.1 points, 7.4 rebounds in 2020-21)

12.   CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)

13.   C Nick Ongenda, 6-11, DePaul (5.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.5 blocks in 2020-21)

SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 / SG Jase Febres, 6-5

CG Devin Askew, 6-3 / CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 / CG Jacob Young, 6-2

F Timmy Allen, 6-6 / PF Christian Bishop, 6-7 / F Brock Cunningham, 6-5

PF Dylan Disu, 6-9 / PF Bryson Williams, 6-8

PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 / C Nick Ongenda, 6-11

G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6

As long as the roster is cleared of a bunch of returning guards and wings by the 2022 season I'm good with whomever we have transfer in. There's way too much ridiculous guard/wing talent in the 2022 class for us to have holdovers who are considerably less talented than them. As it stands now Tyson and Askew would be the only returning wings/guards unless you consider Cunningham a wing. Tyson probably matches or exceeds what someone like Anthony Black or Terreance Arceneaux can bring as a freshman, but Askew couldn't hold anyone of Arterio Morris', Keyonte George's, or Cason Wallace's jocks if he were given 4 extra hands. 

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

As long as the roster is cleared of a bunch of returning guards and wings by the 2022 season I'm good with whomever we have transfer in. There's way too much ridiculous guard/wing talent in the 2022 class for us to have holdovers who are considerably less talented than them. As it stands now Tyson and Askew would be the only returning wings/guards unless you consider Cunningham a wing. Tyson probably matches or exceeds what someone like Anthony Black or Terreance Arceneaux can bring as a freshman, but Askew couldn't hold anyone of Arterio Morris', Keyonte George's, or Cason Wallace's jocks if he were given 4 extra hands

Assuming that's true - why would he be an impediment to their recruitment?

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Assuming that's true - why would he be an impediment to their recruitment?

He wouldn't. I said, "As long as the roster is cleared of a bunch of returning guards and wings by the 2022 season". I didn't want a roster full of returning guards and wings. because I want to fill that roster space with a bunch of guard/wing talent in that 2022 class. If I had my druthers I'd take 5 guards/wings out of that class alone. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have a hard time believing another established PG would come with Askew already here.  Young, Wheeler, Harmon...just hard to see any of those guys coming here with what we already have.  If Beard pulls one of them along with Disu and Sims then expectations will be through the roof.

Disu and Sims rounds out the roster assuming Ramey is already in.  They will probably bring in another couple guys but I think they will be guys who are ok being complementary players.

G Askew/Ramey

G Jones/Febres/TBD

G/F Allen/Tyson/TBD

F Bishop/Cunningham/TBD

F Disu/Sims

Sims and Ramey as the 6th and 7th guys speaks to an extremely talented roster.  Definitely the most excited I’ve been about UT basketball since KD was here.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

My source is from someone you guys are quoting on this thread, fwiw. I post on the basketball board with some cadence when not depressed by Shaka Smart’s terrible runs during the season. Congrats on summoning Sydney though. The fucking guy is a like a virus and we’d done well to contain him on other boards and then here you go. I’m going to go tag him in the Costa Rica thread as payback, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

This really is amazing.  We went from just hoping to have a team that didn't get run out of the gym next year to being ranked somewhere in the top 15 in the preseason.  I know we're in a brave new world in regards to roster creation, but it's still mind blowing.

13 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Disu is technically only a redshirt freshman with the free Covid year, right?   6-9,  can shoot the three, averaged 15 and 9 for an SEC program, and he’s the type of guy who might NOT be an early entry threat to the NBA.

10 hours ago, mrhorn said:

Adding the SEC leaders in rebounding and assists would definitely not suck. Beard is not fucking around.

Just say P6 conference instead of SEC if you want to hype the players and team better. This is basketball, the SEC is the #4-6 conference every year.

• Hook 'Em 3

(Nick Harris) Hardwood Nuggets: Looking at where Texas stands with multiple transfer targets

Spoiler

Since coming on as the new head coach at Texas, Chris Beard and his since assembled staff have been working tirelessly to put together a roster that looked severely depleted upon their arrival.

In the nearly three weeks since arriving in Austin, Beard has secured commitments from three transfers: former Creighton small forward Christian Bishop, former Kentucky guard Devin Askew and former Utah power forward Timmy Allen. Texas has also been able to retain three players from last year's roster: Andrew Jones, Brock Cunningham and Jase Febres.

In addition, Beard was able to flip his lone 2021 signee from Texas Tech, Plano (Texas) John Paul II four-star small forward Jaylon Tyson.

With just seven players secured for next season's team and decisions still pending from multiple starters from last year's squad, Chris Beard and staff have continued to hammer the transfer portal hard as they look to build a competitive and talented roster in a timely fashion.

In this article, we will take a look at all of the possibilities in the transfer portal for the Texas Longhorns as they continue to build the roster throughout the spring.

DYLAN DISU, POWER FORWARD (VANDERBILT)

Height/Weight: 6-foot-9, 220 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 15.0 points, 9.2 rebounds, 49.2% field goal percentage

Despite not being in the portal at the time, Horns247's Chip Brown first reported the possibility of Texas landing Dylan Disu on April 13. On Wednesday, the first step of that becoming a reality took place as Disu entered his name in the portal. Texas is the overwhelming favorite to land the SEC's leading rebounder from a season ago as the Pflugerville Connally 2019 graduate grew up a fan of the program. Expect big-name programs to get involved early but at this point, I expect Texas and Disu to move quickly towards getting him on the roster and secured for next season's team.

DE'VION HARMON, POINT GUARD (OKLAHOMA)

Height/Weight: 6-foot-2, 200 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 12.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists

The Denton Guyer 2019 graduate picked up a lot of attention out the gate after entering the transfer portal last week, but two programs have since found their way to the top: Oregon and Texas.

The Ducks' efforts have been spearheaded by former Oklahoma assistant Chris Crutchfield who returns to the Division I ranks after one season as the head coach at East Central University. Crutchfield was crucial in recruiting Harmon to Oklahoma as he is looking to win the same battle in his first few weeks in Eugene.

Texas' efforts have been strong as they look to add depth to their backcourt, but their fate with Harmon could hang in the decision that Matt Coleman makes in the coming days. If Coleman returns, it will definitely work into the favor of Oregon. But if he were to leave the team, Texas could have a serious shot at landing Harmon.

Other schools that have been heavily involved as the days pass with Harmon have been BYU and Arkansas. A timeline for a decision has not yet been determined.

DEVANTE JONES, POINT GUARD (COASTAL CAROLINA)

Height/Weight: 6-foot-1, 200 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 19.3 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 2.8 steals, 86.2% free throw percentage

Devante Jones caught up with 247Sports' DuShawn London on Wednesday in this report where he explained that Texas is one of the three schools recruiting him the hardest right now along with Michigan and Memphis. While Jones explores his professional options, his parents have been running point on the communication with schools. Jones likes the idea of playing alongside Devin Askew and has them as an early top option.

However, the tricky factor will be that Jones is going to explore the professional option to the fullest extent and will wait out his possibilities in that route. This process could be lengthy as he will participate in multiple workouts in search of NBA feedback, but if the reigning Sun Belt Player of the Year decides to return to the college ranks in 2021-22, expect Chris Beard and Texas to have a solid shot at securing his commitment and joining what could be an exceptionally talented backcourt in Austin.

BRYSON WILLIAMS, POWER FORWARD (UTEP)

Height/Weight: 6-foot-8, 228 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 15.1 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game, 83.6% free throw percentage

Bryson Williams was one of the biggest contributors in Conference-USA last season for UTEP under head coach Rodney Terry who is now one of Chris Beard's newly-hired assistants at Texas. Williams has already followed Terry once after his move from Fresno State to UTEP and all signs point to Williams wanting to follow him once again to Austin. Williams could provide stability in the frontcourt with reliable free throw shooting as well as senior experience.

NICK ONGENDA, POWER FORWARD/CENTER (DEPAUL)

Height/Weight: 6-foot-11, 210 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 5.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.5 blocks

As Texas searches for options in the frontcourt, depth is also a concern as they will possibly have to fill multiple spots down low via the transfer portal. Nick Ongenda serves as a high upside player who can come in and provide depth off the bench in year one before possibly expanding into a bigger role with development from the Texas coaching staff. On Wednesday, the native of Little Rock named a top three of DePaul, Oklahoma State and Texas. A timeline for his decision has not yet been determined.

SAHVIR WHEELER, POINT GUARD (GEORGIA)

Height/Weight: 5-foot-10, 180 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 14.0 points, 7.4 assists, 1.7 steals

Despite just entering the portal on Tuesday, former Georgia point guard Sahvir Wheeler has already started to generate some attention from high major programs, with a return to his home state of Texas (originally from Houston) being the preferred option for Wheeler and his family. The Longhorns have made contact with Wheeler as they search for a guard that can come in and contribute in a big way immediately. Wheeler was one of the best facilitators in all of college basketball last season as he ranked fifth nationally in assists and first in the SEC.

JACOB YOUNG, GUARD (RUTGERS)

Height/Weight: 6-foot-2, 185 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 14.1 points, 3.4 assists, 1.7 steals

Could Jacob Young finish his career in the same spot he started in Austin after all? My sources indicate that while his options are crowded, it is certainly a possibility. Young blossomed into one of the best guards in the Big Ten last season and was three points away from knocking off Houston in the Round of 32 last season. Speaking of the Cougars, Kelvin Sampson and his Houston staff are one of many staffs that have reached out to the Houston native. Michigan along with other Big Ten options are other options to watch in this one.

KUR KUATH, CENTER (OKLAHOMA)

Height/Weight: 6-foot-10, 220 pounds

2020-21 Stats: 5.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks

Kuath is another high upside player that could end up being a major contributor in Austin next season if he chooses to join Chris Beard and staff at Texas. While Kuath is another player that is exploring his NBA options to the fullest extent, schools such as Marquette, LSU, Texas, Hawaii, Boston College and BYU have all been in contact with the big man originally from Sudan.

14 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Disu is technically only a redshirt freshman with the free Covid year, right?   6-9,  can shoot the three, averaged 15 and 9 for an SEC program, and he’s the type of guy who might NOT be an early entry threat to the NBA.  This could be huge not just for this season but for the next several years.

Er, I guess he’d actually be a redshirt sophomore after checking, but still.  We could get multiple years out of a very valuable player that credibly fills a role usually reserved for guys high up on NBA draft boards. 

His entire family is in Austin so that could keep him for a couple years if he's a fringe NBA guy. He has two sisters at Hays that are pretty good volleyball players. Not sure if they're Texas good but they should get some offers. 

Here's his brother and his sisters also RT'ed it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TexasStrong posted Nick Harris saying his prediction is Disu, Sims and Ramey returning, Devante Jones and Ongenda

So:

PG: Askew/D. Jones
G: Ramey/A. Jones/Febres
G/F: Allen/Tyson/Cunningham
F: Bishop/Disu
C : Sims/Ongenda

Sign Me Up GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5