Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

In the coming years as the Gleague opportunities have entered the equation, I'm curious about which group will have the early career endorsement opportunities flowing towards them. The D1 stars shining on TV every night or the Gleague Elite players spending a year in anonymity? My guess is that on average the D1 guys will have more opportunities early in their careers, but I'm curious about the true game changers like Lebron and Zion who come out over the next decade. Will playing a year in anonymity stunt their commercial opportunities beyond what they otherwise would've been or is it inconsequential?

• Hook 'Em 2
1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

In the coming years as the Gleague opportunities have entered the equation, I'm curious about which group will have the early career endorsement opportunities flowing towards them. The D1 stars shining on TV every night or the Gleague Elite players spending a year in anonymity? My guess is that on average the D1 guys will have more opportunities early in their careers, but I'm curious about the true game changers like Lebron and Zion who come out over the next decade. Will playing a year in anonymity stunt their commercial opportunities beyond what they otherwise would've been or is it inconsequential?

There is literally zero doubt in my mind that D1 hoops is a better route than G League for a supremely talented player. $250k head start is nothing compared to the exposure that a guy like KD got at UT. The connections made with a university and having teammates that you will stay connected with for years/life  is also much better. 1 year on the G League prospect team is so mercenary and anonymous that no way low 6 figures makes up for that, and the anonymity hurts the immediate earning potential of the rookies. 
Now- if you are Lebron great doesn’t matter obviously. 
really a moot point though as there won’t be that 1 year rule very shortly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There is literally zero doubt in my mind that D1 hoops is a better route than G League for a supremely talented player. $250k head start is nothing compared to the exposure that a guy like KD got at UT. The connections made with a university and having teammates that you will stay connected with for years/life  is also much better. 1 year on the G League prospect team is so mercenary and anonymous that no way low 6 figures makes up for that, and the anonymity hurts the immediate earning potential of the rookies. 

I used to believe that, but now I'm of two minds here.

1) Most of the discussion for the removal of the 1yr of college rule happened prior to the Gleague for 1 yr even being a potential concept. There's really no reason for the NBA to change their rule . They went to the one year rule for a specific reason that now has an amenable solution in place. Having the Gleague route available now helps with the issues that came with having to pay 18 year olds who won't contribute and who've never been on their own.

2) However, on the other hand, the grassroots scene has changed significantly over the last 20 years and kids are usually less of the headache that they were back in the early 00s. Mark Cuban was on record discussing the differences between generation Z and the millennials before them. And all the traits of being risk averse and less prone to drug use of their non-basketball playing Gen Z contemporizes apply to the Gen Z bbball players as well. Cuban was on Dallas radio discussing how these kids don't smoke weed and are pretty much homebodies who are on social media all day and are much more aware of the importance of taking care of their bodies at a young age than players before them. So maybe the rule isn't necessary, but I don't see changing the rule to be as much of priority as it was in NBA front offices' minds just 5 years ago 

• Hook 'Em 1
4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I used to believe that, but now I'm of two minds here.

1) Most of the discussion for the removal of the 1yr of college rule happened prior to the Gleague for 1 yr even being a potential concept. There's really no reason for the NBA to change their rule . They went to the one year rule for a specific reason that now has an amenable solution in place. Having the Gleague route available now helps with the issues that came with having to pay 18 year olds who won't contribute and who've never been on their own.

2) However, on the other hand, the grassroots scene has changed significantly over the last 20 years and kids are usually less of the headache that they were back in the early 00s. Mark Cuban was on record discussing the differences between generation Z and the millennials before them. And all the traits of being risk averse and less prone to drug use of their non-basketball playing Gen Z contemporizes apply to the Gen Z bbball players as well. Cuban was on Dallas radio discussing how these kids don't smoke weed and are pretty much homebodies who are on social media all day and are much more aware of the importance of taking care of their bodies at a young age than players before them. So maybe the rule isn't necessary, but I don't see changing the rule to be as much of priority as it was in NBA front offices' minds just 5 years ago 

Maybe. I think all that sounds true but still feel like that rule gets changed. 
I think if I was in charge I’d make all kids eligible for the draft at all times and have a 366 day hold with the drafting team. So you have their rights through the next draft if they don’t want to sign with you. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Gen Z bbball players as well. Cuban was on Dallas radio discussing how these kids don't smoke weed and are pretty much homebodies who are on social media all day and are much more aware of the importance of taking care of their bodies at a young age than players before them. So maybe the rule isn't necessary, but I don't see changing the rule to be as much of priority as it was in NBA front offices' minds just 5 years ago 

Definitely the same case in pro soccer. A generation or two ago and the players had pronounced guts, ate like shit and drank and smoke during the week. Now most are vegans, don’t drink and go to bed at 8. And apps monitor their body 24/7. 

• Hook 'Em 1
27 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Definitely the same case in pro soccer. A generation or two ago and the players had pronounced guts, ate like shit and drank and smoke during the week. Now most are vegans, don’t drink and go to bed at 8. And apps monitor their body 24/7. 

I’ll miss Vlade Divac smoking a cig at halftime.  We aren’t likely to see that happen ever again.  Gave a bit of a nostalgic feel to the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
11 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ll miss Vlade Divac smoking a cig at halftime.  We aren’t likely to see that happen ever again.  Gave a bit of a nostalgic feel to the game.

Watched a midweek Champions League semi-final between the two Milans at a place in LA called "Cock 'n Bull" sometime in ~2004/5 and Vlade Divacs was in there as well.

Not positive, but I want to remember that he went outside at halftime for a cigarette. (Since no one else was there from this board, I'm going to say that he did.)

SOCCER + VLADE DIVAC + HALFTIME CIGARETTES = SURLY HAT TRICK

On 5/1/2021 at 4:03 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Agreed.  Sure helped for Zion 

34 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

The good thing about coaching in Austin is most of the people (transplants, hipsters, etc.) here don't know shit about UT basketball so he can just be "some guy".

Well sure, but he’s probably going to have to pay for his own dialysis in Austin for the rest of his life, so I’d say those two kind of cancel each other out. 

IT

Spoiler

There have been many asking if all the transfers will be in Austin in June. IT has confirmed that Timmy Allen, Dylan Disu, Christopher Bishop, and Devin Askew will be in Austin by the first week of June. They’ll be met by 2021 signee Jaylon Tyson, and returnees Andrew Jones, Courtney Ramey, Jase Febres, and Brock Cunningham.

Chris Beard and staff are in no hurry to put the finishing touches on the roster. Texas ideally wants to get lucky and find a dynamic player with the ball in his hands, but it has to be the right fit. A ‘big’ has to be the right fit and either be a rim protector or play face up to add even more shooting/scoring to the roster. The staff feels very confident the nine players on the roster will make Texas extremely competitive and versatile, and that has given them the ability to be very selective with the final couple of pieces.

My guess is that Beard is still waiting on a final decision from Jericho Sims, and if he is leaving then they will take Bryson Williams.

It sounds like they are in on Wheeler and will wait for answer before moving on.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

It sounds like they are in on Wheeler and will wait for answer before moving on.

Don’t think so. Gerry Hamilton or someone else at IT had a post last week saying the way the staff views Wheeler’s skill and role is different than how he views it and things probably aren’t going to work out. They made it sound like we’ve moved on from him. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

I have a feeling Beard will successfully get the students back to the games just by going to a frat house or bar off campus, having a few beers, and boom--student section filled. 

He has that vibe. (And the team will be good--don't forget that)

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I have a feeling Beard will successfully get the students back to the games just by going to a frat house or bar off campus, having a few beers, and boom--student section filled. 

He has that vibe. (And the team will be good--don't forget that)

Yeah, that always works out well.

image.png.2050c1857dbad62753eb2c2972f8164b.png

image.png.0d03e06a7de05cb173d9306949a59e45.png

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Yeah, that always works out well.

image.png.2050c1857dbad62753eb2c2972f8164b.png

image.png.0d03e06a7de05cb173d9306949a59e45.png

Is that Sarah Huckabee Sanders on his right in that bottom pic?  With Vic in the background cheering him on?  

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

My guess is that Beard is still waiting on a final decision from Jericho Sims, and if he is leaving then they will take Bryson Williams.

Potential plan B if Williams is a no?

On 5/3/2021 at 10:22 AM, lazygringo said:

The good thing about coaching in Austin is most of the people (transplants, hipsters, most Longhorns sports fans, etc.) here don't know shit about UT basketball so he can just be "some guy".

fify

• Hook 'Em 2
10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Maybe the fact that Arizona has a new coach will allow him to qualify for a waiver.

Usually a coaching change makes you eligible for a waiver (not guaranteed)

as far as i can tell this kid isn't even on the radar of any of the major recruiting services. interesting to say the least, and i'm with you in assuming that he's a walk-on. but hey, if Beard wants him, then i don't really give two shits about his rankings.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

he looks good. looks like a hooper. and he can definitely shoot. will be interesting to see how he develops, both physically and game-wise. if he ends up having any kind of role for us in the future then he'll have been a great signing. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he looks good. looks like a hooper. and he can definitely shoot. will be interesting to see how he develops, both physically and game-wise. if he ends up having any kind of role for us in the future then he'll have been a great signing. 

That is a sweet touch from three.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Hooper? You mean baller?  

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Early 5 star in the 2023 class from Duncanville.

https://247sports.com/player/ronald-holland-46102006/

my dad and i watched him play in the state title game vs Westlake, and we were shocked when we found out he was a sophomore. he was a real standout in that game, and when we looked him up we weren't surprised to see how highly he was ranked. a commitment from him would seem to be a great sign re: DFW recruiting, although obviously he may not commit for another 18+ months.