Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

Just for my own curiosity - Disu played 1 game against Tennessee (he was out for the year by the time the second game rolled around)

Disu @ Tennessee - 19 points, 7-9 FG, 1-3 3P, 4-5 FT, 5 rebounds, 5 turnovers, 2 assists, 5 fouls in 34 min

• Like 1

How did/does Rick feel about departure from here?  I can't recall Barnes ever really openly discussing it in the media.

It seems that Beard is making efforts to bringing Barnes back around the program, his former players, and city (as much as can be while he's still coaching) and that Barnes is open to it.  I think it's a good thing.  All the maddening things about Barnes have seemed to soften over time for most of the fanbase and I don't think it all comes down to the fact that alumni came to realize that the grass isn't always greener vis-a-vis Shaka.

15 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

How did/does Rick feel about departure from here?  I can't recall Barnes ever really openly discussing it in the media.

I don't know about Texas in general but Rick did not care for the leadership in the AD at the time.

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

I would probably add Daniel Gibson to that list.

i considered mentioning Boobie, but he wasn't quite on the level of those other three as a freshman. he shot .417 from the field and  .398 from deep. he shot under 43% from the field in 15 of his 25 games that year. he was much more hot-and-cold than the other guys.   he had a whole bunch of 4/10 and 3/10 nights from the field, a 4/14, a 3/11, a 1/11, etc.

all of which really only drives home the point that much more- you really cannot expect a freshman to come in and really be able to shoot the ball. i have no doubt that this trend will start to wane some being that the new generation of hoopers are are specially trained in their craft from the age of three forward, but until then history says that freshmen just aren't great shooters.

with all of that said, Jaylon Tyson is going to be in a pretty good position to have success shooting the ball with our depth, and the fact that our new HC will actually put him in a position to succeed. with his size, i think he'll be ok even when shooting off the dribble from inside the arc. from beyond the arc, i think he'll be best served to keep it catch-and-shoot the majority of the time. 

10 hours ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

It seems that Beard is making efforts to bringing Barnes back around the program, his former players, and city (as much as can be while he's still coaching) and that Barnes is open to it.  I think it's a good thing.  All the maddening things about Barnes have seemed to soften over time for most of the fanbase and I don't think it all comes down to the fact that alumni came to realize that the grass isn't always greener vis-a-vis Shaka.

Douchebag “Stevie P” Patterson fired him. And did it in his own unique douchebag manner. 

The fact that Rick doesn’t really discuss it much is a credit to Rick.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

I don't know about Texas in general but Rick did not care for the leadership in the AD at the time.

I dislike Patterson deeply, but Barnes’ behavior forced his firing so he really has nothing he can say about it. Barnes self destructed his life. 

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Douchebag “Stevie P” Patterson fired him. And did it in his own unique douchebag manner. 

The fact that Rick doesn’t really discuss it much is a credit to Rick.

yeah, Rick is always going to have a ton of love for UT, the city of Austin, his players, and his time with the program. but you said it- Patterson handled things terribly, and sent the greatest coach in program history unceremoniously packing. no chance in hell Rick ever imagined it ending that way. that's going to be a special night at the FEC when he returns.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I dislike Patterson deeply, but Barnes’ behavior forced his firing so he really has nothing he can say about it. Barnes self destructed his life. 

his "behavior" had nothing to do with his firing. Tom Penders forced the AD's hand when he got fired. THAT is an example of what you're talking about. Rick Barnes spent the better part of two decades building this program into what it is today, and then Steve P rolled into town, fucked up the program and the game day experience, told Rick to fire his longtime friends/assistants or get fired himself, and when Rick refused to can those guys Patterson fired him, again, in a totally unceremonious fashion that was crass and low class. Rick Barnes has every reason to be pissed about the way his time at Texas came to an end. 

Edited by shadow_operative

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

his "behavior" had nothing to do with his firing. Tom Penders forced the AD's hand when he got fired. THAT is an example of what you're talking about. Rick Barnes spent the better part of two decades building this program into what it is today, and then Steve P rolled into town, fucked up the program and the game day experience, told Rick to fire his longtime friends/assistants or get fired himself, and when Rick refused to can those guys Patterson fired him, again, in a totally unceremonious fashion that was crass and low class. Rick Barnes has every reason to be pissed about the way his time at Texas came to an end. 

Rick Barnes was allegedly fired for the same reason Sark was let go from USC. That hasn’t been disclosed publicly but Barnes references his problems in YouTube videos. Allegedly. 

Rick Barnes was fired for performance. His first 10 years, he finished in the Top 25 7 times. Last 7 years, once. His last team had high expectations and underperformed. He was middling and his staff was decreasing in quality. Firings are hardly ever clean and that was the least of Patterson’s errors.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 6/20/2021 at 7:23 PM, shadow_operative said:

that's a nice percentage, but Ramey has never been a true shooter, even now. KD, DJ, and Abrams- those are the three guys i can think of from the last ~20 years who came into Texas as freshman and could really shoot the ball. i'm talking true shooters- not hitting a nice percentage of catch-and-shoot threes, but actually being able to shoot anywhere, any time- off the dribble, mid range, step back, whatever it is- they can really shoot the ball and are a real threat that the defense has to game plan for. it's very rare to see that. 

to add- a true shooter doesn't necessarily have to have every single one of those shots in his bag- we all know that AJ was mostly a catch-and-shoot guy who didn't come inside the 3-point line. but AJ was a pure shooter with a great and reliable shot, even as a freshman. again, that's rare. you can very rarely count on a freshman to be a legit shooter. 

AJ when open and shooting in rhythm was damn near automatic from deep.  In a game of horse of Texas basketball players I would take him and Durant.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Rick Barnes was fired for performance. His first 10 years, he finished in the Top 25 7 times. Last 7 years, once. His last team had high expectations and underperformed. He was middling and his staff was decreasing in quality. Firings are hardly ever clean and that was the least of Patterson’s errors.

Correct.

After the Elite 8 in 2008, we went:

R32 (4th in the Big 12)
R64 (6th in the Big 12)
R32 (2nd in the Big 12)
R64 (5th in the Big 12)
CBI (7th in the Big 12)
R32 (3rd in the Big 12)
R64 (6th in the Big 12)

He set the bar for himself for 10 years with 3 Big 12 titles, 6 other top 3 finishes in the Big 12, 2 Sweet 16 finishes, 2 Elite 8 finishes and a Final Four.  Just like Mack and Augie, they didn't meet the expectations they set for themselves.

College sports at Texas are a business, not your paycheck for retirement when you stop performing to the standards you set. 

Edited by Js1

Love Barnes and will be glad to see him back in Austin next February, but his firing is not on Patterson. 

Derka is correct that Rick was given a chance to stay if he sacrificed an assistant or two, and was let go when he steadfastly refused to do so (a rare act these days!).

Everyone--even Derka--wanted Barnes gone by that point, and trying to spin fault on Patterson (or anyone else) is falsely revisionist. No one was to blame but Rick. He's the best and most successful hoops coach Texas has ever had (for now), but he had lost his way.

That said, seeing him rediscover his fire and passion for coaching (and doing a reasonably good job at Tennessee) makes me happy for him. He should be celebrated, and I hope he is cheered vociferously when he walks on to the FEC court in February.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Love Barnes and will be glad to see him back in Austin next February, but his firing is not on Patterson. 

Derka is correct that Rick was given a chance to stay if he sacrificed an assistant or two, and was let go when he steadfastly refused to do so (a rare act these days!).

Everyone--even Derka--wanted Barnes gone by that point, and trying to spin fault on Patterson (or anyone else) is falsely revisionist. No one was to blame but Rick. He's the best and most successful hoops coach Texas has ever had (for now), but he had lost his way.

That said, seeing him rediscover his fire and passion for coaching (and doing a reasonably good job at Tennessee) makes me happy for him. He should be celebrated, and I hope he is cheered vociferously when he walks on to the FEC court in February.

This.  Like Mack at UNC - no hard feelings.  Thanks for the memories - I'm glad taking a break/change of scenery helped them a lot, wish you had decided that sooner.  They weren't cutting it at Texas anymore, glad to see them doing well elsewhere.  Though sometimes there's PTSD with watching Tennessee basketball. 

• Haha 1

Back to the present... some notes from Gerry

The team continues to progress through off-season workouts under the direction of John Reilly with Christian Bishop continuing to stand out from an agility and overall athletic ability standpoint.

Tre Mitchell has been very impressive on the court. Very skilled, and very efficient with a really good stroke from the three-point line. Simply put, this was a huge win for the Texas staff when looking at the potential of the 2021-22 team.

The Longhorns continue to consider adding another guard to the team, but it’s not a lock the staff decides to go that route. Right now, there is total team buy-in. And that is very key with how is being asked of Courtney Ramey and Andrew Jones vs. the former coach and way the program was run.

IT projected staring line up:
CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)
-94 games played, including 74 starts
-38.3% FG’s (103-269), 41.4% from three (48-116) and 83.1% FT’s (64-77) in 2020-21.
-Has made 145 three-pointers at 37.0% for his career. Scored 954 points in 94 games at Texas.
-Scored 20 or more points six times at Texas, and 15 points or more 20 times.

SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21)
-102 games played, including 68 starts
-40.4% FG’s (128-317), 33.8% from three (54-160) and 83.1% FT’s (69-83) in 2020-21
-Scored 20 points or more five times last season, as well as 15 points or more 11 times. Posted three or more assists 12 times. Knocked down three or more three-pointers in a game 10 times last season.
-Has 178 career makes from the three-point line at 35.7%. Scored 1,251 points in 102 games at Texas.

F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)
-46.5% FG’s (155-333), 26.8% from three (11-41) and 76.9% FT’s (110-143)
-85 games played, including 82 starts
-Allen scored 20 points or more eight times in 2020-21, and 15 points or more in 18 of 25 games. Posted four double-doubles and 11 games of four or more assists
-Allen has scored 20 or more points 22 times in 85 games played, and 15 or more points 47 times.

PF Dylan Disu, 6-9 (15.0 points, 9.2 rebounds in 2020-21)
-49.2% FG’s (89-181), 36.9% from three (24-65) and 73.6% FT’s (53-72)
-49 games played, 48 starts.
-Scored 20 or more points once last season, and 15 points or more 10 times. He posted six double-doubles.
-Disu has made 75 threes in 49 games.

PF Tre Mitchell, 6-9 (18.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.5 blocks, 1.2 steals in 2020-21)
-Played in 44 games, including 43 starts in two seasons at Massachusetts
-Averaged 17.7 points, 7.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.0 blocks and 1,0 steals as a freshman in 2019-20
-Connected on 52 three-pointers at 34.2% in two seasons, including 37.5% last season
-Career 74.3% free throw shooter in 218 attempts.
-Sixteen games of 20 or more points in 44 games played, including five games of 30 points or more.

Reserves:
CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21)
-25 games played, including 20 starts
-34.5% FG’s (49-142), 27.8% from three (15-54) and 80.6% FT’s (50-62) in 2020-21
-Askew reached double figures seven times in 25 games. He posted 4+ assists nine times, and 5+ rebounds three times.

SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21)
-104 games played, including 62 starts
-39.3% FG’s (22-56), 39.2% from three (20-51) and 4-4 FT’s in 2020-21.
-Has scored 716 points in 104 games at Texas. Has 192 made three-pointers at 36.2%.
-Scored in double figures 31 times at Texas. Recorded four games of 20 points or more, and 14 games of 15 points or more.

CG Gavin Perryman, 6-2
-Made over 200 three-pointers in high school career at Dallas Jesuit
-Son for former Texas guard Brandy Perryman

SG Avery Benson, 6-4 (1.3 points, 6-9 from three in 2020-21)
-71 games played
-15-36 from three in three seasons at Texas Tech

G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-7
-Top 30 prospect in 2021 class
-Made over 200 three-pointers last two years at Plano John Paul II
-Originally signed with Texas Tech

F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21)
-41 games played with one start

PF Christian Bishop, 6-8 (11.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks in 2020-21)
-68.1% FG’s (141-207), 1-4 from three, 56.2% FT’s (59-105)
-90 games played, including 62 starts
-Bishop scored 15 or more points in six games last season, and posted six double-doubles. He posted three or more assists five times.

This.  Like Mack at UNC - no hard feelings.  Thanks for the memories - I'm glad taking a break/change of scenery helped them a lot, wish you had decided that sooner.  They weren't cutting it at Texas anymore, glad to see them doing well elsewhere.  Though sometimes there's PTSD with watching Tennessee basketball. 

Well Mack did piss on the conference room table on his way out. Sacrificing a recruiting class and scuttling any chance for a Saban hire. Maybe its a conflict of interest to have a major booster also be your head coach’s lawyer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Well Mack did piss on the conference room table on his way out. Sacrificing a recruiting class and scuttling any chance for a Saban hire. Maybe its a conflict of interest to have a major booster also be your head coach’s lawyer.

As we've gotten further away from the Mack era, I'm less angry towards Mack and more how the whole thing was handled by the administration (Powers/Patterson). 

Just now, Red Five said:

There are hard feelings with Mack and for very good reason. Not so with Barnes. 

As I said above, as it came out that the admin said he was being retained, and then flip flopped, and neither of them (Powers/Patterson) had the balls to be "the guy" and fire him and let it drag out ("killing myself in Florida") - it was an all around epic failure.  Being told you're staying and then your bosses changing their minds the next day was total bullshit. 

That whole era (2010-CDC) was just the fucking worst.  I cannot believe how bad it got. 

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

Back to the present... some notes from Gerry

If this ends up being our starting lineup, every guy in the floor will shoot 74% or better from the line, and 4 out of 5 guys will shoot 34% or better from 3. Holy shit. When was the last time Texas had anywhere near that much shooting in a starting lineup? 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If this ends up being our starting lineup, every guy in the floor will shoot 74% or better from the line, and 4 out of 5 guys will shoot 34% or better from 3. Holy shit. When was the last time Texas had anywhere near that much shooting in a starting lineup? 

Id guess 06-07 & 07-08. Basically the years with DJ Augustin. 

On 6/24/2021 at 10:13 AM, Eskimohorn said:

I keep forgetting to send him a thank you note for that.

I am so interested to see what all Febres is able to do in his one year under Beard. yes, he's essentially been nothing but a spot-up, catch and shoot guy for four years, but last season in particular he showed a penchant for getting blocked shots as a help defender. i'm very curious about his untapped defensive potential. he's a role player who will only get one year under Beard, so i don't expect him to become Avery Bradley overnight, but if he can shoot the three and have a presence on D then that will be a nice little bonus.

• Hook 'Em 1