Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

I think a lot of the portal activity we're seeing this year though is also due to the Covid-19 situation which halts the 1-year penalty (either physically with no play or in terms of eligibility).  As the roster/pandemic situation continues to shake itself out, next year will be a bit less, then the following year much less.  By 2023/2024, it'll be back to roughly what we saw two years ago.  

I don't think Texas will have any issue this season with minutes allocation. 

The top 7 players are going to get plenty of minutes (Carr, Ramey, Jones, Allen, Bishop, Disu and Mitchell). If any of the other guys transfer so be it. That's part of the game now with the transfer portal. I'm just hoping we can convince Tyson to stick things out because he's going to be a key player the following season and he has a ton of potential.

Beard has the right idea though. Stack the roster, the cream rises to the top, and if players transfer you add more top talent via the transfer portal. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

The top 7 players are going to get plenty of minutes (Carr, Ramey, Jones, Allen, Bishop, Disu and Mitchell). If any of the other guys transfer so be it. That's part of the game now with the transfer portal. I'm just hoping we can convince Tyson to stick things out because he's going to be a key player the following season and he has a ton of potential.

Beard has the right idea though. Stack the roster, the cream rises to the top, and if players transfer you add more top talent via the transfer portal. 

Askew

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Askew and Tyson both need to be patient. They will see bigger roles in the 22-23 season.

He was in the Top 28 in the country and was the unanimous number one ranked point guard in the 2021 class before reclassifying to go to Kentucky. I bet he sees as much time as any of the other guards.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He was in the Top 28 in the country and was the unanimous number one ranked point guard in the 2021 class before reclassifying to go to Kentucky. I bet he sees as much time as any of the other guards.

I don't. He's young and he isn't better than Ramey, Jones or Carr at this point in his career. 

He's definitely not getting as "much time" as Carr. 

The only way I could see Askew getting a bunch of minutes is if Texas played  3 guard lineups but I don't see that happening with what Texas has at the positions 3-5. Do you want to try and get Askew on the court or a top 10 transfer/First Team All Pac 12 player in Timmy Allen? 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't. He's young and he isn't better than Ramey, Jones or Carr at this point in his career. 

He's definitely not getting as "much time" as Carr. 

The only way I could see Askew getting a bunch of minutes is if Texas played  3 guard lineups but I don't see that happening with what Texas has at the positions 3-5. Do you want to try and get Askew on the court or a top 10 transfer/First Team All Pac 12 player in Timmy Allen? 

Someone is going to have to play when Allen leaves the court. It isn't going to be Cunningham so it will be Tyson, Febres, or Jones. Jones, Ramey, Carr and Askew will all get minutes at guard, but it is unclear how the rotation will go. Carr likes to shoot and so does Jones so Askew might fit in well distributing to those guys in rhythm. Really, I don't think it is clear what the rotation will be until the season begins.

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Damn, it's like an alternate universe here from the despair that rained down with Shaka.

I expected Beard to improve things, but the speed at which he has done so is kind of breathtaking. 

I love football but man am I ready for November.  This team is going to be fun to watch - both how they play and how they mature into a cohesive, experienced team just in time for a Big 12 regular season/tournament title and NCAA run. 

For the first time in a decade and a half, when I pick Texas to make the second weekend and beyond, I will feel confident in that pick and not just my fanboy pick. 

• Hook 'Em 2

CBS Sports releases new Top 25 and 1

ByKEVIN FLAHERTY Jul 18, 2021

3. TEXAS

10277425.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

(Photo: Ricardo B. Brazziell, USA TODAY Sports)

The Longhorns are the big movers in this edition of the Top 25 and 1, jumping eight spots and becoming the top-ranked squad in a loaded Big 12 to boot. The primary source of that optimism comes from the transfer portal, with recent add-on Marcus Carr (Minnesota) joining Devin Askew (Kentucky), Timmy Allen (Utah), Dylan Disu (Vanderbilt), Tre Mitchell (UMass) and Christian Bishop (Creighton). Chris Beard will also lean on returnees Courtney Ramey and Andrew Jones on the wings, while he’s often praised Brock Cunningham’s work ethic. If Jaylon Tyson can break into the rotation, it’s because the high-potential freshman has been even better than expected. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/college-basketball-rankings-top-25-and-1-Marcus-Carr-transfer-Texas-Longhorns-Gonzaga-Bulldogs-UCLA-Bruins-167928772/#167928772_5

Wow, I don't know that we belong above UCLA considering they bring back 6 of their top 7 guys from that Final Four run, plus a great recruiting class.  But when you read through the description of the top 10 teams, it's very obvious we belong in that mix.  I feel like we're around 5 or so, but this is just surreal to think about how far we've come. 

csbalert/ was working in the courtyard of the AT&T hotel, I think it was 1 or 2 days after he was hired.  And on the northern end, there's that Tejas cafeteria that was obviously shut down for Covid.  I'm sure he and his family were staying there during the hire week.  Anyway, it was him and one other assistant alone in there, and they were spread out on this massive table that's meant for like 12 people to eat at.  And you can see into there rather easily.  So I couldn't help myself, I took a glance inside if they were drawing up plays or something, I dunno. But they had printed off a bunch of photos of players with their school logos in the corner and then a write-up.  I couldn't make any of it out, but you could tell they were school logos.  And they were moving them around into categories.  I thought, "hey, maybe they're looking at a grad transfer to play in the front-court or something."  I had no idea, what started on that table in that shuttered cafeteria would become maybe the best transfer roster ever built in college basketball.  Plus the guys we've got coming back.  This is just extraordinary, and in the timeframe in which he did it.  And they're guys coming from good academic schools so they can handle the classroom here.  /csb

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wow, I don't know that we belong above UCLA considering they bring back 6 of their top 7 guys from that Final Four run, plus a great recruiting class. 

UCLA got hot in the tournament but they weren't very good in the regular season. Matter of fact, they barely made the tournament. 

March Madness and all that. 

shit, you're right.  Seems like so long ago.  but yeah, they were one of the play-in teams right?  Or they were playing a play-in team because neither had that strong a resume.  I think we were set to play them either in the second or third round had we not run into the ACU powerhouse.  For so many obvious reasons, last season seems like 2 years ago already.  

Obviously these rankings won't hold, but our 'new' team will be revealed to the nation on 13 November when #3 Texas travels to #1 Gonzaga.  Now we know why the LHN hasn't announced they're picking up the Kansas game like they always do in football.  I think we're waiting to see what time the Hoops game is on, and then set the football game kickoff time around it.  When was the last time that happened at Texas?  I don't even know what network they'd show our basketball game on though?  Everybody else is filled up with college football that day.  Maybe Fox/FS1?  Anyway, gonna be a huge game...can't wait.  

Gonzaga returns to Austin in 2022-23.  We'll hopefully be coming off a Final Four appearance, as will likely Gonzaga.  Plus the new Moody Arena.  I'm guessing it's the biggest home game in Longhorn basketball history when it comes to pass.  

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

UCLA got hot in the tournament but they weren't very good in the regular season. Matter of fact, they barely made the tournament. 

March Madness and all that. 

They had to pull it out of their asses just to force OT in the play-in game against Sparty, but they definitely turned it on from there. Can’t say I watched them at all before the tournament but they looked like a legit team for at least a couple of weeks…

Edited by Ignatius

On 3/27/2021 at 11:11 PM, shadow_operative said:

projected 2022 scholarship players at this point:

Courtney Ramey

Brock Cunningham

Kamaka Hepa

Emarion Ellis

David Joplin

Thats it. 👀 Andrew Jones could potentially decide to return, but i have a very tough time seeing him make the decision to join that ^^^ team for free when he could be paid to play in the G League or overseas somewhere.

just wanted to quote the OP from March 27th for full effect. it is absolutely unbelievable what Beard and co. have done in such a short time. nothing short of amazing. i still don't even know what to say. still can't even wrap my head around it. 

B1229206-B9FA-4012-BC72-52EED192FC3C.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

shit, you're right.  Seems like so long ago.  but yeah, they were one of the play-in teams right?  Or they were playing a play-in team because neither had that strong a resume.  I think we were set to play them either in the second or third round had we not run into the ACU powerhouse.  For so many obvious reasons, last season seems like 2 years ago already.  

Obviously these rankings won't hold, but our 'new' team will be revealed to the nation on 13 November when #3 Texas travels to #1 Gonzaga.  Now we know why the LHN hasn't announced they're picking up the Kansas game like they always do in football.  I think we're waiting to see what time the Hoops game is on, and then set the football game kickoff time around it.  When was the last time that happened at Texas?  I don't even know what network they'd show our basketball game on though?  Everybody else is filled up with college football that day.  Maybe Fox/FS1?  Anyway, gonna be a huge game...can't wait.  

Gonzaga returns to Austin in 2022-23.  We'll hopefully be coming off a Final Four appearance, as will likely Gonzaga.  Plus the new Moody Arena.  I'm guessing it's the biggest home game in Longhorn basketball history when it comes to pass.  

UCLA was a play-in team, but their best big man was injured for the season which sent them down an end of season slump. So while they might not have been as good as they were in the tourney they weren't as bad as they were when they ended the season as a play-in team. 

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gerry saying some ‘22 recruits are turned off by the SEC but that he trusts Beard and company to win over WhT recruit they want.

Interesting.  I mean, it's not the Big 12 or B1G, but it still has some good teams with elite coaches.  It's not a cakewalk of a conference. 

Trading Baylor and Kansas for Arkansas, Florida, Alabama, LSU, Kentucky, Tennessee. 

I think the SEC is a pretty decent downgrade for hoops.  There isn’t a bad team in the Big 12.  The worst is probably TCU and they can beat anybody on a given night.

Kentucky will be fun though. They are even more rabid than Kansas.

Edited by HookEm

SEC has generally been the fourth best hoops conference behind the B1G, Big XII, and the ACC, but with Texas and OU leaving the league and KU almost certainly joining the B1G, the Big XII gets tossed out and the SEC becomes a very strong third best league in the country. it's already got 14 teams and no doubt the shitty ones drag down the league rep/RPI, but the top 5-7 teams will be top 25 teams every year.

besides which, this is perfect timing for Texas. we absolutely have a chance to turn UK into IU or UCLA- yesterday's blue blood. we were never going to get out of KU's shadow in this league, but with Beard and his staff, this upcoming team, plus Morris and hopefully George on the Horizon- we absolutely have the opportunity to be the big dogs in the conference. it's essentially a dream move, timing-wise.

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gerry saying some ‘22 recruits are turned off by the SEC but that he trusts Beard and company to win over WhT recruit they want.

I think that's kinda meh. Basketball is so much more open as far as scheduling and the tournament goes. Recruiting advantages based on conference seem paper thin to me. Gerry obviously knows that and the coaches do as well. Easily overcome. Not telling you anything you don't know.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

SEC has generally been the fourth best hoops conference behind the B1G, Big XII, and the ACC, but with Texas and OU leaving the league and KU almost certainly joining the B1G, the Big XII gets tossed out and the SEC becomes a very strong third best league in the country. it's already got 14 teams and no doubt the shitty ones drag down the league rep/RPI, but the top 5-7 teams will be top 25 teams every year.

besides which, this is perfect timing for Texas. we absolutely have a chance to turn UK into IU or UCLA- yesterday's blue blood. we were never going to get out of KU's shadow in this league, but with Beard and his staff, this upcoming team, plus Morris and hopefully George on the Horizon- we absolutely have the opportunity to be the big dogs in the conference. it's essentially a dream move, timing-wise.

And we're going to roll into the conference with a brand new taj mahal of basketball. Calipari thrived in the SEC. Florida popped in the SEC. Arky had their run in the SEC. Gonzaga lost to Baylor for Christ's sake. It's not 1996 anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 3

CBB is more coach dependent than anything else, so while the B12 has been overall stronger than the Southeastern lately, that will ebb and flow.  Just the act of Barnes moving from the B12 to the Southeastern changed the relative strength of each a good amount.  The Southeastern has some good coaches right now that may be around for some time.  We have the best of the bunch and will fuck up the league for the next decade or so.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:12 AM, shadow_operative said:

Love the following SEC coaching match-ups for Beard:

• Rick Barnes
  • John Calipari
  • Eric Musselman 
  • Nate Oats
  • Bruce Pearl
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gonna miss the home and home grind that made teams salty for the tournament. Not going to miss KC. 

Lots of great games played over the decades. SWC tournaments in Dallas were the best when I was a kid. 

This upcoming season might have been the best Big 12 season ever. With all the drama Im thinking Texas is going to get screwed…a lot. Sour grapes will ruin the competition. 

Beard teams will travel well. Should be high seed from SEC annually. 

• Fuck You 1

Is there a prevailing wisdom yet on how they'll do SEC scheduling in terms of basketball?  

The pod thing is more important for football, IMO.  Would it be something like play your 3-team pod opponents twice (home & home obviously), then 4 games from each of the other 3 pods to total 18 games?  Maybe home and home with each or just flip a coin and your first 6 are in Austin this year and we flip the following year for one-off games?  Nobody wants to get in more than 18 conference games to give you flexibility on making revenue on early season tournaments and non-conf. locals.  SEC is currently playing 18 and you could balance it out by playing your whole pod and one other one in total (home/away) to get 14 games and then just go 2 games with each of the other 2 that are farther away.  

We gotta do a game at Kentucky.  But most of the venues/teams, I could take or leave.  The towns are fun but it's a beating to travel that far for a hoops game that's less than 2 hours long on a Wednesday night.  Some of those towns are not easy to get to either for a quick weeknight game for the fans, nor the Longhorn team.  

I have to admit, I would do a hoops game at OU in a heartbeat though.  Never stepped foot on that campus, but that would be a great way to start.  

Edited by Lobo