Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

tied for the most Longhorns ever taken in a draft with 3.  One could argue that the 2010 draft was more successful given that we had 2 go in the 1st round at #19 & #24 and the 2011 draft---all 3 in the first round #4/#26/#29.  But this was very staunchly our third best draft in program history.  And none of them ever even got close to winning a single NCAA tournament game.  bottles the mind.   But onto the Beard era.  Holy shit.  Get some popcorn and beers for next year's draft.  Gonna be a long night, in a fun way, for UT.  

On 7/29/2021 at 2:03 PM, mantis toboggan said:

Anything you can share?

23 hours ago, maninblack said:

Not now but I wouldn't freak out or lose any faith in the staff because of it

HOOPS

When the live period began, the Texas staff had a target board to evaluate.

The June official visits prior to the live period were SG Keyonte George (iSchool Academy), CG Anthony Black(Coppell), CG Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy) and PF Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles). A visit has been long scheduled with center Kel’El Ware (North Little Rock) as well.

In July, the target board began changing for Longhorns head coach Chris Beard. Combo guard Cason Wallace (Richardson High) became the top target for Beard, and he has been front and center at all of Wallace’s games since. When Texas initially began to prioritize Wallace, they were on the outside looking in with little chance to receive an official visit.

Since that time, Rodney Terry and Beard have battled to get an official visit, which was set in the recent days for September 3rd-5th. When that visit was set, and UT felt like they had a legit chance, tough decisions had to be made. And the decision was made that Wallace would be the top target, even if that meant losing out on another five-star guard. Essentially, Beard is trading scoring and shot-making for great defending, someone who can run a team, who plays both ends, and rebounds from the guard position. Wallace is a player who does it all, accept score at a high rate.

With Wallace as a priority target, Texas is positioned to battle Kentucky and Tennessee for the 6-foot-3 guard who has been exceptional in July on the AAU circuit.

Texas has also backed off Black and Wright with point guard Rowan Brumbaugh (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA), power forward Yohan Traore (Prolific Prep, CA) and F Isaac Traudt (Grand Island, NE) having become top targets after early July evaluations. [note: expect rankings changes to reflect this July period]

The Longhorns have also had eyes on SF Jordan Walsh (Southern California Academy via Dallas) and SG Brendan Hausen (Amarillo High) in July, among others. Both of those have had plenty of contact with the Texas staff this month, and could be offered.

Texas will host Wallace and Ware on September 3rd-5th. Ware is a tussle with Arkansas and Oregon.

Brumbaugh is likely to make a visit in late August. He has Kansas, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Minnesota on the offer list with Duke and Virginia in contact.

IT was told Thursday that Texas will also likely get a visit from Traudt. Traudt has Virginia and Michigan State ahead of North Carolina, Texas, Nebraska, and Creighton.

• Hook 'Em 2

Appreciate the info. Helpful.  Seems like there is more to it though as that update would not be anything that “couldn’t be shared now”, assuming maninblack knows something (which I think he does). Coupled with a CTJ post in the recruiting thread it seems there is. 

Edited by mantis toboggan
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

tied for the most Longhorns ever taken in a draft with 3.  One could argue that the 2010 draft was more successful given that we had 2 go in the 1st round at #19 & #24 and the 2011 draft---all 3 in the first round #4/#26/#29.  But this was very staunchly our third best draft in program history.  And none of them ever even got close to winning a single NCAA tournament game.  bottles the mind.   But onto the Beard era.  Holy shit.  Get some popcorn and beers for next year's draft.  Gonna be a long night, in a fun way, for UT.  

Isn't hilarious that a team with 3 NBA draft picks got bounced out of the first round by Abilene Christian?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, MuellerHorn said:

HOOPS

When the live period began, the Texas staff had a target board to evaluate.

The June official visits prior to the live period were SG Keyonte George (iSchool Academy), CG Anthony Black(Coppell), CG Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy) and PF Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles). A visit has been long scheduled with center Kel’El Ware (North Little Rock) as well.

In July, the target board began changing for Longhorns head coach Chris Beard. Combo guard Cason Wallace (Richardson High) became the top target for Beard, and he has been front and center at all of Wallace’s games since. When Texas initially began to prioritize Wallace, they were on the outside looking in with little chance to receive an official visit.

Since that time, Rodney Terry and Beard have battled to get an official visit, which was set in the recent days for September 3rd-5th. When that visit was set, and UT felt like they had a legit chance, tough decisions had to be made. And the decision was made that Wallace would be the top target, even if that meant losing out on another five-star guard. Essentially, Beard is trading scoring and shot-making for great defending, someone who can run a team, who plays both ends, and rebounds from the guard position. Wallace is a player who does it all, accept score at a high rate.

With Wallace as a priority target, Texas is positioned to battle Kentucky and Tennessee for the 6-foot-3 guard who has been exceptional in July on the AAU circuit.

Texas has also backed off Black and Wright with point guard Rowan Brumbaugh (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA), power forward Yohan Traore (Prolific Prep, CA) and F Isaac Traudt (Grand Island, NE) having become top targets after early July evaluations. [note: expect rankings changes to reflect this July period]

The Longhorns have also had eyes on SF Jordan Walsh (Southern California Academy via Dallas) and SG Brendan Hausen (Amarillo High) in July, among others. Both of those have had plenty of contact with the Texas staff this month, and could be offered.

Texas will host Wallace and Ware on September 3rd-5th. Ware is a tussle with Arkansas and Oregon.

Brumbaugh is likely to make a visit in late August. He has Kansas, Georgetown, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Minnesota on the offer list with Duke and Virginia in contact.

IT was told Thursday that Texas will also likely get a visit from Traudt. Traudt has Virginia and Michigan State ahead of North Carolina, Texas, Nebraska, and Creighton.

With this written, there you go. Taking Wallace over George because Wallace is nasty. George is a scorer. To boot, Texas isn't even likely to land Wallace. Beard's done everything right so far, so I guess we'll all give him the benefit of the doubt, but damn.

Yeah I'm kinda shocked Beard went this route. He's behaving as though he just recently discovered Wallace even though he's been a known commodity and highly rated for just as long as George. If anything the new talent on the block is Arterio Morris. Both Cason Wallace and Keyonte George have gone back forth as the #1 or #2 players in the state ever since their classed started being ranked. I'm not gonna lie, my original desires for this class were Morris and Wallace so I can't say I'd be disappointed if we got him, but given the apparent limited likelihood of getting Wallace and the fact that up until Beard changed course, George was in the bag, this move is surprising. 

Wallace's hard nosed style fits Beard's approach to game much more than George so I understand why he likes him, but I'd be super surprised if we land him. He's basically a more athletic Marcus Smart with top tier offensive skills. George, on the other hand, is so skilled and makes everything look so easy that people question his heart and tenacity. I can't say that I've seen him enough to know whether that's a legit critique or if people are just picking nits on a guy who doesn't seem to have many discernable flaws. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

csb/ Was in Gregory Gym yesterday to swim laps.  Hadn't been in any of the common indoor areas since long before Covid.  There's a 'Healthy Snack Bar' inside there called 'Shake Smart.'  I walked over and got a smoothie afterwards.  While they're preparing things, I asked, 'So I guess with Coach Beard here now and Shaka Smart at Marquette, you'll have to come up with another play on words than Shake Smart, right? 

She looked at me, horribly confused and disappointed.  "Sir, this is a nationwide college chain.  Has nothing to do with who is the basketball coach on any of the campuses.  Here's your smoothie."  

So yeah, Coach Beard is so awesome, we don't even have to rename Shake Smart.  And I'm probably never going there again despite their deliciousness.  /csb

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Did the girl working the snack bar counter actually know that, though?  You should have escalated to a manager with authority to discuss their organizational structure and intellectual property.  

She knew the story of the franchise she works for, probably assistant manager or something. 

She also knows I'm a dumbass for thinking Shake Smart was a play on Shaka Smart.  How the fuck was I supposed to know?  I don't hang out on college campuses, it's creepy.  Of course, it's perfectly normal that I hang out a lot at UT (the eye candy was stellar at Gregory yesterday).  I really thought it was named after our previous hoops coach and that'd be changing names with Beard here now.  Shit, that was only like the 9th most insane thing that came outta my brain yesterday.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

She knew the story of the franchise she works for, probably assistant manager or something. 

She also knows I'm a dumbass for thinking Shake Smart was a play on Shaka Smart.  How the fuck was I supposed to know?  I don't hang out on college campuses, it's creepy.  Of course, it's perfectly normal that I hang out a lot at UT (the eye candy was stellar at Gregory yesterday).  I really thought it was named after our previous hoops coach and that'd be changing names with Beard here now.  Shit, that was only like the 9th most insane thing that came outta my brain yesterday.  

I’m calling bullshit on the smoothie barista. I think that, even though it’s a national chain, they don’t sell a Shake Smart on campus in Stillwater. Sounds like she was just being a bitch.

I could be wrong though; wouldn’t be the first time…

11 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I’m calling bullshit on the smoothie barista. I think that, even though it’s a national chain, they don’t sell a Shake Smart on campus in Stillwater. Sounds like she was just being a bitch.

Why yes, you are

https://shakesmart.com/locations/

Oklahoma State University Student Union

100 S Hester St, Stillwater, OK, USA

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

She said it nicely.  I never talk to folks while they're making my coffee or drinks unless they start first (same thing in an Uber or barber shop).  But she asked if I'd ever been there before, how's day going, etc.  So I thought I'd ask about Shaka Smart Shake Smart.  Her commentary was kind, "There's a bunch of these all over collegiate America, nothing to do with basketball coaches." (I'm paraphrasing).  From the photos, the one at Oklahoma State does look the lamest.  

Her word selection/tone was fine, but her facial expression was one of, "I think it's super that people like you are able to come out into public alone, learn how to swim, and order your own drinks...fucking dumbass.  It's Shake, you jackass.  Not Shaka.  Shake!"  

Back to hoops...our non-conf. schedule has kinda stalled out.  They posted the Gonzaga game, the Stanford game has yet to be confirmed by us, the Tree, or Las Vegas.  We are, very presumably, tipping off 8 November with most other programs.  Gives us a non-conf. layup before we head to Spokane on Friday morning.  If anybody picks up anything else on social media, we can start a schedule thread for the FEC Farewell Tour.  Non-conf. schedule should be fun. League office is busy fucking with the schedule they already had built so we'll probably play at Kansas on Saturday then at West Virginia on Monday.  

Edited by Lobo

Players are going to be paid more in basketball than in football. It may or may not be helpful for Texas fans to come to this realization. It's going to seem a little counter intuitive at first, especially at football first schools, but it's been that way since Michael Jordan helped make Nike a multi billion dollar brand, and it's going to continue. I've had arguments about it already, but it's simply how the economics work.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Players are going to be paid more in basketball than in football. It may or may not be helpful for Texas fans to come to this realization. It's going to seem a little counter intuitive at first, especially at football first schools, but it's been that way since Michael Jordan helped make Nike a multi billion dollar brand, and it's going to continue. I've had arguments about it already, but it's simply how the economics work.

Nobody buys cleats because their favorite player wears them.

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

What a sight for sore eyes. I've missed your basketball discussion over the last decade. Totally agree with this point and I doubt most college basketball fans would be surprised by it. Had NIL been in place a couple years earlier there's a real chance someone like Zion, who reportedly loved college life, stays an extra year. 

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Basketball players don't wear helmets. This might fix the one and done problem, if they are already getting paid 6 figures then why jump to the NBA after 1 year unless you are a surefire lottery pick, Greg Brown done fucked up

Edited by Michael Knight

First time listener, first time caller. But i got a question about thos coming season.  

Im not into betting, but if any gambling sight is giving odds on whether a Tech fan is gonna take a swing at coach, or very visibly throw something at him, i sure would like to take that bet. 

12 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

First time listener, first time caller. But i got a question about thos coming season.  

Im not into betting, but if any gambling sight is giving odds on whether a Tech fan is gonna take a swing at coach, or very visibly throw something at him, i sure would like to take that bet. 

They’re going to throw batteries at a minimum. They to put up the FIFA shield over the Texas bench. But it’s the Big 12 so they won’t do shit. 

20 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I might be missing one or two, but at least 3 of the guys on this list transferred to their current school within the last 14 months. Pretty crazy. 

This is why having a coach that embraces the transfer portal and is able to fully utilize it to his maximum benefit is key.

Hey greggym. Sorry to hear about that. I believe you played for him, didn't you? If I'm recollecting poorly, my apologies, but if you did, any chance you'd be willing to make a post giving some kind of anecdote? Leon Black isn't exactly before my time, but I didn't get into Texas basketball until Abe Lemons. Anything you'd be willing to come up with would be wonderful. Just something to help me feel a little more connected to the guy other than he was the head coach right before Abe Lemons and he took a team to the Sweet Sixteen.