Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

43 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

SL, thanks for your note. I would be more than happy to share some comments and feel free to ask any questions. This is obviously a difficult time. Coach was in the hospital a few months ago but was able to go home. I communicated with one of the kids today and it sadly doesn't sound good. I think that Coach is either 90 or 91 and he's just tired. That happens when you get old and your body starts to shut down. 

I am obviously biased but I think that Coach Black did more for the university than almost any coach especially in hoops. Its not always about won-loss records. He loved the University as much as anyone could including Bill Little.  He was the coach that actually integrated the hoops program starting in the late 60s. The first black bbal player was Sam Bradley but I believe that he had either a track or football scholarship so he was technically a walk on. The second was Jimmy Blacklock who I think played at Yates in Houston, went to Tyler JC and then came to Texas. The third but the first black student athlete to sign a 4 year LOI was a teammate Larry Robinson from Hobbs NM.I think that he was the best player in the SWC in the 70s and from there, more black kids came to Texas.

Coach, in my opinion was extremely underrated as a coach in part because the media didn't like him for the most part. Coach probably ran the cleanest hoops program in the country and did not hesitate to turn in another school if he knew they were cheating. A lot of Texas high school coaches didn't like that either so we had to recruit literally nationwide. I had team mates from Texas but also New Mexico, California, Oregon, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Louisiana and I may be forgetting a few others. He was definitely a strict disciplinarian but he was fair. Practice was serious business and tough. 

He was probably the opposite of Coach Lemons. As far as that sweet 16 team, things were much different back then. The only major conference to have a post season tournament to determine who went to the playoffs was the ACC. If I remember correctly, Virginia won the tourney 3 straight years despite the fact that they actually finished last each of those 3 years. So to get to the tournament, we had to win the SWC. I believe that year, we tied with SMU for the conference and had a playoff game in Waco and we won. Our first round opponent was UH in Las Cruces NM. I believe they were one of the favorites to make the final four. The Houston media said that if we didn't show up, we would only lose 2-0. Otherwise it would be a least a 20 point loss. UH if I remember correctly had Dwight Jones and Dwight Davis, 2 top 10 NBA picks. They started the game on a big run. Coach calmed everyone down, Robinson beat the crap out of those 2 despite playing on 1 leg and we won. The next game was the sweet 16 against Kansas State. Back then, they were the Kansas power coached by Jack Hartman. We had several injuries and just couldn't keep up. That team when healthy could have won one or two more games.

The one sad thing back then is that without going into any detail for the moment is that we were an after thought to the athletic department. I think they tolerated us because they had to. I can't help but wonder if things would have been different if we had their support.

SL, does any of this help? Please feel free to ask anything else if you like. Those were interesting times but are being quickly forgotten. I appreciate your interest.

Great Stuff !!!

I saw Blacklock and Larry Robinson play.  Also remember seeing a kid from Centenary named Robert Parrish playing against the HORNS at Gregory Gym -- damn he was tall.  

Don't forget Leon Black brought Johnny Moore to TEXAS too -- best damn point guard I ever saw play for the HORNS!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great Stuff !!!

I saw Blacklock and Larry Robinson play.  Also remember seeing a kid from Centenary named Robert Parrish playing against the HORNS at Gregory Gym -- damn he was tall.  

Don't forget Leon Black brought Johnny Moore to TEXAS too -- best damn point guard I ever saw play for the HORNS!!  🤘

LT, I remember "The Chief" all too well. You think he looked tall from your point of view. You should have seen him from mine.😁

Here is something about Johnny that most people don't know. Our coaches saw him at the Pennsylvania All Star game. If there were stars back then, he probably would have ben a 2 star. Honest. He was headed to Providence College before the Big East and that was because  his only other offer if I remember correctly was the U of Indiana, wait for it,   at Pennsylvania and I think that was because his older brother went there. That's why I don't worry about stars. Not many 5 stars can say that they are the all time assists per game leader for the Spurs having played more than 500 games. I think that's accurate. You can't judge a kid's heart. BTW, Coach also brought Krivacs to Texas. He went to Auburn his freshman year bit then transferred to us. Again that was a long time ago but I think that is accurate.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Don't forget Leon Black brought Johnny Moore to TEXAS too -- best damn point guard I ever saw play for the HORNS!!  

Have to correct myself -- Johnny Moore was the best PG till TJ Ford showed up... Both were awesome to watch!!!  🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, realgreggym said:

SL, thanks for your note. I would be more than happy to share some comments and feel free to ask any questions. This is obviously a difficult time. Coach was in the hospital a few months ago but was able to go home. I communicated with one of the kids today and it sadly doesn't sound good. I think that Coach is either 90 or 91 and he's just tired. That happens when you get old and your body starts to shut down. 

I am obviously biased but I think that Coach Black did more for the university than almost any coach especially in hoops. Its not always about won-loss records. He loved the University as much as anyone could including Bill Little.  He was the coach that actually integrated the hoops program starting in the late 60s. The first black bbal player was Sam Bradley but I believe that he had either a track or football scholarship so he was technically a walk on. The second was Jimmy Blacklock who I think played at Yates in Houston, went to Tyler JC and then came to Texas. The third but the first black student athlete to sign a 4 year LOI was a teammate Larry Robinson from Hobbs NM.I think that he was the best player in the SWC in the 70s and from there, more black kids came to Texas.

Coach, in my opinion was extremely underrated as a coach in part because the media didn't like him for the most part. Coach probably ran the cleanest hoops program in the country and did not hesitate to turn in another school if he knew they were cheating. A lot of Texas high school coaches didn't like that either so we had to recruit literally nationwide. I had team mates from Texas but also New Mexico, California, Oregon, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Louisiana and I may be forgetting a few others. He was definitely a strict disciplinarian but he was fair. Practice was serious business and tough. 

He was probably the opposite of Coach Lemons. As far as that sweet 16 team, things were much different back then. The only major conference to have a post season tournament to determine who went to the playoffs was the ACC. If I remember correctly, Virginia won the tourney 3 straight years despite the fact that they actually finished last each of those 3 years. So to get to the tournament, we had to win the SWC. I believe that year, we tied with SMU for the conference and had a playoff game in Waco and we won. Our first round opponent was UH in Las Cruces NM. I believe they were one of the favorites to make the final four. The Houston media said that if we didn't show up, we would only lose 2-0. Otherwise it would be a least a 20 point loss. UH if I remember correctly had Dwight Jones and Dwight Davis, 2 top 10 NBA picks. They started the game on a big run. Coach calmed everyone down, Robinson beat the crap out of those 2 despite playing on 1 leg and we won. The next game was the sweet 16 against Kansas State. Back then, they were the Kansas power coached by Jack Hartman. We had several injuries and just couldn't keep up. That team when healthy could have won one or two more games.

The one sad thing back then is that without going into any detail for the moment is that we were an after thought to the athletic department. I think they tolerated us because they had to. I can't help but wonder if things would have been different if we had their support.

SL, does any of this help? Please feel free to ask anything else if you like. Those were interesting times but are being quickly forgotten. I appreciate your interest.

Did you talk to Jason? I’ve lost touch but used to hang out in sort of the same crowd with him back in the 90’s. Sounds like you played right after my dad who played for Bradley. ‘65 would have been my dad’s senior year, or maybe ‘66. To one of your points he was from West Virginia. Never ended up playing much because Bradley thought he shot too much and didn’t like defense and my dad will admit that’s probably accurate. Anyway, Leon was the assistant coach then and my dad has always talked way more about Coach Black than he does Bradley.

Edited by justhookit

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

Did you talk to Jason? I’ve lost touch but used to hang out in sort of the same crowd with him back in the 90’s. Sounds like you played right after my dad who played for Bradley. ‘65 would have been my dad’s senior year, or maybe ‘66. To one of your points he was from West Virginia. Never ended up playing much because Bradley thought he shot too much and didn’t like defense and my dad will admit that’s probably accurate. Anyway, Leon was the assistant coach then and my dad has always talked way more about Coach Black than he does Bradley.

just, I did communicate with Jason. I was a few years after your Dad. Coach replaced Coach Bradley. If you wanted to see the court, you better be ready to play tough D. I think that when I was there, Jason was probably around 4 years old. Some days, he would show up after practice to see Coach. That little monster would challenge all of us to a game of horse but we wanted no part of him because he would probably beat us and well, being beaten by a 4 year old was not good for one's reputation, ego or playing time. 😁. I always thought that if he grew a bit, he could be a really good point guard but I guess that never happened but I think that he became a pretty good golfer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

sat down with my dad this morning to talk about Coach Black and his legacy:

This is a really good interview. Let me add a couple of things. In regards to Larry, like every other school in the country, we were after the big white kid, I think his name was Kyle Williams when the coaches saw Larry.  Kyle wound up going to Kansas State who was coached by the great Jack Hartman and yes, Lon Krueger was the point guard on that team. Hobbs was coached by one of the all time great high school coaches, Ralph Tasker. They were the Wheatley High School of New Mexico. 

In the 73-74 season, we did start out 0-8. That was a little misleading because we really played a tough non conference schedule. We went up to the Far West Classic in Portland and lost a tight game to Oregon who was coached by Dick Harter. They had 2 NBA players, Ronnie Lee and Greg Ballard on that team. WE lost the second game by I think by 1 to West Virginia. They had a 7 point play that beat us near the end of the game. I think that was a year before Huggy went to WV. WE beat Army and then lost our next 2 non conference games. Our 1st conference game was at Gregory against the horny toads and they looked at our 1-11 record and thought they were going to mud stomp us. Well, not exactly. We beat those toads by over 50 and that was with no shot clock, 3 point shot and no dunking. The game was so bad, those toads made me look good...almost. 

The conference went down to the last game. We were tied with Tech and they lost to SMU that afternoon so all we had to do was beat Baylor at HOT to win the conference. For all aspiring coaches, remember this. Baylor came out in a box and 1 o keep Larry away from the ball as much as possible. Coach went to a diamond and 1 and told Larry to roam the lane. That's where the and 1 was least effect and Larry went crazy and we won the game and the conference. We come home after the game and get back to campus around midnight. Some of the parents were waiting for us and the tower was not lit. A couple of the parents were so upset, they called maintenance and demanded that they turn on the tower and they did. It's truly special when you see the tower lit and knowing that you played a small part in that. That's not something that you forget.

Steve was right about Coach. He was a good man who wouldn't have a chance today. A few months ago, I emailed the athletic department and asked them what they were going to do for Coach when Moody was opened. They responded but really didn't answer. I hope they do the right thing.

• Hook 'Em 3

Terio looking like a taller Allen Iverson:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSTDPIvHqvk/?utm_medium=copy_link

that fluid, probing, shifty ability to manipulate defenders and then get to the rim and finish- man i can't wait to see him in burnt orange.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:55 AM, realgreggym said:

Good stuff.  Any good stories playing in Gregory?  When we first moved to Austin in late 70s, the only game we ever saw there was a Lady Horns game, the men had already moved to FEC.  

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Good stuff.  Any good stories playing in Gregory?  When we first moved to Austin in late 70s, the only game we ever saw there was a Lady Horns game, the men had already moved to FEC.  

Underdog, thanks for your note. By the time I got to Gregory, it was already about 40 years old. As a facility, it wasn't that great but for some games, Gregory could be electric. There was no a/c or heat. The way that you controlled the temperature was by opening and closing the windows upstairs. The problem was that all the windows were rusted solid so you couldn't move them. During the winter, it could be freezing cold. If I remember correctly, it was so cold one game, we actually wore sweats under our uniforms. Seriously. The temporary bleachers were so close to the court that my feet when sitting on the bench were actually on the court. One game some guy from the other team went diving for a ball near our bench and actually slide under our bench. A couple of us put our feet down and it more difficult for him to get on the court. Was he upset and we couldn't stop laughing.

When the pigs, dirt burglars or aggy came to town, Gregory was incredible. The band was extremely loud and with the fans being so close to the floor, you couldn't hear anything in the huddle. Coming out of the locker room before the game or during halftime and hearing the band playing Texas Fight is something that will never be forgotten.

One great thing was that the fans were extremely close to the court and we had some great fans. One of those great fans was a guy named Marty. He wore a cowboy hat and was entrenched on the front row with one foot on one side of the mid court stripe and his other foot on the other side. He was a fan and team favorite. Every game he would ride the refs and everyone could hear every word...especially the refs. He was always polite but funny as hell. I have to believe that some of the refs thought so but they would never admit it.

I remember one game when the weather was so horrible only 17 people showed up for the game. I know that because not only did I count every one of them twice but so did some of my team mates. Gregory probably couldn't hold more that about 7k when it was packed, it was incredible. I hope that 11k at Moody will be enough seats but as long as they are close to the court, that's all that matters. 

The sad thing though is that the old SWC was the best conference in the NCAA because every game was a rivalry game and we will sadly never see anything like the old SWC again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Starting to look that way.  that's a great 13 man roster right there.  I think Deutser (sp?) is still on the walk-on squad.  But probably not in line to get the last scholarship until his senior year.  I see no reason not to give Perryman one at this time.  Guy in athletics says the schedule has been delayed as the Big XII is tweaking some dates.  I'm taking that to mean, looking at ways to fuck over Texas and Oklahoma for their SEC move.  Like having us play @Kansas or @Iowa State on a Saturday and then @WVU on a Monday.  Some shit like that.  Non-conf. was supposed to come out next week, but has been delayed a bit because of late December logistics with league schedule now.  School also wants to do a Senior Day/Final Game at Erwin Center blowout on a weekend obviously, so I'm sure Big XII will say fuck you to that and put our last conference game on a Tuesday night at 6:00p.  

may already be posted on another thread, but if not

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/30820857/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2021-22

1, 4, 5, 16, 23, 30

Updated August 16, 2021. Will be updated regularly.

1. Marcus Carr, 6-2, 195 lbs., PG, Jr., Minnesota
Committed to Texas
Carr withdrew his name from the NBA draft and ultimately chose the Longhorns over other pro options. He was a third-team All-Big Ten guard after averaging 19.4 points and 4.9 assists last season for the Golden Gophers.

2. Remy Martin, 6-0, 175 lbs., PG, Sr., Arizona State
Committed to Kansas
Martin will be a preseason All-American candidate for a Kansas team with very real national championship hopes entering 2021-22. A two-time first-team All-Pac-12 pick, Martin averaged 19.1 points each of the past two seasons.

3. Walker Kessler, 7-1, 245 lbs., PF, Fr., North Carolina
Committed to Auburn
A former five-star prospect, Kessler really showed flashes of his ability toward the end of the season. He had a four-game stretch in February when he scored in double-figures in each one, and he posted 16 points, 12 boards and eight blocks against Notre Dame in the ACC tournament.

4. Timmy Allen, 6-6, 198 lbs., F, Jr., Utah
Committed to Texas
Allen should immediately boost Chris Beard's prospects in his first year in Austin. He was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection at Utah after averaging 17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds and 3.9 assists as a versatile, playmaking forward.

5. Tre Mitchell, 6-9, 240 lbs., C, Soph., UMass
Committed to Texas
Another huge addition for the Longhorns, Mitchell was a dominant big man for the Minutemen this past season, earning first-team All-Atlantic 10 honors. He averaged 18.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists, and had three games of 30 or more points.

6. Adam Miller, 6-3, 180 lbs., G, Fr., Illinois
Committed to LSU
A talented top-50 prospect coming out of high school, Miller was a consistent starter on one of the best teams in the country this past season. He averaged 8.3 points and 2.8 rebounds.

7. Garrison Brooks, 6-10, 240 lbs., PF, Sr., North Carolina
Committed to Mississippi State
He didn't have a great senior season (10.2 PPG, 6.9 RPG), but Brooks was the preseason ACC Player of the Year after averaging 16.8 points and 8.5 rebounds as a junior. He will play at Mississippi State, where his father, George, is an assistant coach.

8. Oscar Tshiebwe, 6-9, 260 lbs., PF, Soph., West Virginia
Committed to Kentucky
Tshiebwe was one of the best big men in the country as a freshman (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG) but struggled through 10 games in 2020-21 before leaving. He ultimately chose Kentucky over the likes of Miami, Illinois and NC State.

9. Kevin Obanor, 6-8, 225 lbs., C, Jr., Oral Roberts
Committed to Texas Tech
Obanor (18.7 PPG, 9.6 RPG) was a force for a Golden Eagles team that nearly became the first 15-seed to reach the Elite Eight in NCAA tournament history, totaling 70 points and 33 rebounds with three double-doubles against Ohio State, Florida and Arkansas.

10. Dawson Garcia, 6-11, 230 lbs., PF, Fr., Marquette
Committed to North Carolina
A former McDonald's All American, Garcia averaged 13.0 points and 6.6 rebounds as a freshman, and chose the Tar Heels over the likes of Illinois and Arizona.

11. Earl Timberlake, 6-6, 215 lbs., G, Fr., Miami
Committed to Memphis
Projected as a first-round pick entering the season, Timberlake struggled with injuries for most of his freshman campaign. He's a talented and physical playmaker, though, and averaged 9.3 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists.

12. Kellan Grady, 6-5, 205 lbs., SG, Sr., Davidson
Committed to Kentucky
Grady has been one of the most productive and consistent players in college basketball over the past four seasons, earning first-team all-conference honors twice and second-team honors the other two seasons. He averaged 17.1 points this season and surpassed the 2,000-point mark for his career.

13. Marreon Jackson, 6-1, 200 lbs., PG, Sr., Toledo
Committed to Arizona State
Jackson earned Mid-American Conference Player of the Year honors after establishing himself as one of the best mid-major guards in the country. He averaged 18.1 points, 6.1 rebounds and 5.9 assists for Toledo.

14. James Akinjo, 6-1, 185 lbs., PG, Jr., Arizona
Committed to Baylor
Akinjo has been a productive and effective player at both Georgetown and Arizona, and had his best season yet in 2020-21, averaging 15.6 points, 5.4 assists and shooting 40.8% from 3. Earned first-team All-Pac-12 honors.

15. Qudus Wahab, 6-11, 237 lbs., C, Soph., Georgetown
Committed to Maryland
Post players who averaged 12.7 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in a high-major league don't come around every day. Wahab ended his Georgetown career with a dominant showing against Colorado in the NCAA tournament: 20 points and 12 rebounds.

16. Christian Bishop, 6-7, 220 lbs., PF, Jr., Creighton
Committed to Texas
Bishop came on strong down the stretch for the Bluejays, with two double-doubles in the NCAA tournament. He averaged 11.0 points and 6.4 rebounds and shot better than 68% from the field.

17. De'Vion Harmon, 6-2, 198 lbs., PG, Soph., Oklahoma
Committed to Oregon
Harmon was a big name to hit the portal, and will join the Ducks after averaging 12.9 points and starting 45 games in two seasons at OU.

18. Sahvir Wheeler, 5-10, 180 lbs., PG, Soph., Georgia
Committed to Kentucky
One of the elite passers in college basketball, Wheeler was a second-team All-SEC player after averaging 14.0 points and 7.4 assists this past season. He led the SEC and ranked fourth nationally in assists.

19. Matt Bradley, 6-4, 220 lbs., SG, Jr., California
Committed to San Diego State
Another high-scoring Power 5 transfer, Bradley averaged 18.0 points and earned second-team All-Pac-12 honors for the Golden Bears. He shot 36.4% from 3-point range, and will make a huge impact in the Mountain West.

20. K.D. Johnson, 6-1, 190 lbs., G, Fr., Georgia
Committed to Auburn
I really liked Johnson coming out of high school, and he showed tremendous scoring promise as a freshman. He averaged 13.5 points despite coming off the bench and had four 20-point games.

21. Caleb Mills, 6-3, 175 lbs., SG, Soph., Houston
Committed to Florida State
Mills entered the season as the AAC Preseason Player of the Year, but because of injuries and other issues, he played only four games in 2020-21. He's a big-time scorer who averaged 13.2 points per game in 2019-20.

22. Jayden Gardner, 6-7, 235 lbs., PF, Jr., East Carolina
Committed to Virginia
One of the most productive players in the country the past three years, Gardner averaged 18.3 points and 8.3 rebounds this season. He was a first-team all-conference selection after getting second-team honors as a sophomore.

23. Dylan Disu, 6-9, 220 lbs., PF, Soph., Vanderbilt
Committed to Texas
Disu enjoyed a breakout campaign under Jerry Stackhouse this past season, averaging 15.0 points and 9.2 rebounds. He finished the season on a tear, scoring 29 points and grabbing 16 rebounds in his next-to-last game of the season against Kentucky.

24. Marcus Williams, 6-2, 180 lbs., PG, Fr., Wyoming
Committed to Texas A&M
Williams started garnering buzz early in his freshman campaign as one of the sleeper newcomers nationally. He was inconsistent down the stretch but has landed with Buzz Williams in the SEC. He averaged 14.8 points and 4.3 assists, earning freshman of the year honors in the league.

25. Jalen Pickett, 6-4, 202 lbs., PG, Jr., Siena
Committed to Penn State
Pickett actually had the worst statistical season of his career this past season, dropping to 12.9 points and 4.8 assists after going for at least 15 points and six assists in each of his first two seasons at Siena. But he has size and shooting ability, and he can really pass.

26. DeVante' Jones, 6-1, 200 lbs., G, Jr., Coastal Carolina
Committed to Michigan
The Sun Belt Player of the Year, Jones was one of the best two-way players in the country last season. He averaged 19.3 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.8 steals last season, while also proving an asset from behind the 3-point line.

27. Justin Powell, 6-6, 205 lbs., G, Fr., Auburn
Committed to Tennessee
Before getting hurt in early January, Powell was one of the more surprising freshmen in the country. He was handling playmaking duties for the Tigers while also making shots and scoring. He averaged 11.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 4.7 assists while shooting 44.2% from 3.

28. Quincy Guerrier, 6-7, 220 lbs., F, Soph., Syracuse
Committed to Oregon
Guerrier heard from a long list of schools shortly after entering the portal, including Kentucky, Alabama, Memphis and others, before ultimately picking the Ducks. Averaged 13.7 points and 8.4 rebounds.

29. Nimari Burnett, 6-6, 220 lbs., G, Fr., Texas Tech
Committed to Alabama
A five-star recruit coming out of high school, Burnett struggled offensively early and saw his role diminish as the season progressed. He can play either guard spot and is also solid defensively. He averaged 5.3 points.

30. Devin Askew, 6-3, 198 lbs., PG, Fr., Kentucky
Committed to Texas
I put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings for freshman transfers, and Askew was a former five-star prospect who started 20 games during his lone season in Lexington. He's a tough, competitive guard but struggled to make shots and was inconsistent taking care of the ball.

related aticle

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/32033382/winners-losers-men-college-basketball-2021-22-transfer-season

Beard is "clear winner". Shaka is with the losers, lulz

Texas Longhorns: The clear victor from the transfer window, Chris Beard is bringing in six of the top 30 transfers in ESPN's transfer rankings -- including three of the top five. Minnesota's Marcus Carr was arguably the best transfer all spring, while Timmy Allen was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection at Utah and Tre Mitchell was one of the more dominant big men nationally at UMass. Christian Bishop (Creighton) and Dylan Disu (Vanderbilt) were productive high-major players and Devin Askew (Kentucky) was a five-star recruit just 12 months ago.

Marquette Golden Eagles: I really like the additions of Maryland transfer Darryl Morsell, the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, and George Mason transfer Tyler Kolek, a promising scorer -- but Shaka Smart lost all five starters from last season, including four to the portal. Koby McEwen (Weber State), Theo John (Duke) and Jamal Cain (Oakland) left early in the offseason, but it was the departure of Dawson Garcia to North Carolina in July that was crushing.

• Hook 'Em 7

And by Pac-12 "Coast to Coast Challenge", do they really mean---just the one coast then?  

Supposedly one more neutral site game yet to be announced, and one true road game on the OOC slate side.  Should all be revealed soon.  

Seems like a decade since I was this excited about a Longhorn basketball season.  

It's really quite breathtaking.  

I realize we have a coastline, was just there.  But Pac-12 sporting events never make reference to it.  I just thought it was a weird title for the games considering the opponents and that Las Vegas has about as much to do with a U.S. Coast Line as the Estonian Navy.  In my younger days, I would have loved this game given the high profile opponent and fun locale.  Austin gets some "third coast" buzz as of late, but I don't think that's what ESPN meant.  Meh, who cares...gonna be a fun non-conference slate this year.  More games announced later this month!

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m one of the ones who didn’t think this was possible because of the specs of Gregory compared to what is needed to play a game per the rule book.  It’s possible that a.) I’m wrong and the specs are there or 2.) the specs aren’t there but SHSU and the NCAA agreed to a waiver.  I think doing a non-con there is great.  Not sure I’d do a conference game there.

Regardless this is cool, even if I’m Wong.  I just have a different and more positive view of the program with Beard as HC than I did with Shaka or with the final years of Barnes.

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m one of the ones who didn’t think this was possible because of the specs of Gregory compared to what is needed to play a game per the rule book.  It’s possible that a.) I’m wrong and the specs are there or 2.) the specs aren’t there but SHSU and the NCAA agreed to a waiver.  I think doing a non-con there is great.  Not sure I’d do a conference game there.

Regardless this is cool, even if I’m Wong.  I just have a different and more positive view of the program with Beard as HC than I did with Shaka or with the final years of Barnes.

Didn’t the women do one there? 

7 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Pancho, thanks for posting. Coach looks great except for that white stuff on his face and its great to see that Mrs. Black is also doing well.  Thanks Coach Beard for your comments about Coach integrating the hoops team. He is a lifetime Longhorn.

• Hook 'Em 1