Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Alrighty then, to get this thread back on track...

Almost all the tip-off times and TV have been revealed:  https://texassports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Including a hangover treat in New Year's Day hosting WVU at 11:00am.  

Oooh, I like that, since this year is when the CFP semifinals are on December 31 instead of January 1. 

WV @ Texas MBB

Fiesta Bowl

Rose Bowl

Sugar Bowl

Slob On Couch GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Alrighty then, to get this thread back on track...

Almost all the tip-off times and TV have been revealed:  https://texassports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Including a hangover treat in New Year's Day hosting WVU at 11:00am.  

Lots of Longhorn Network and ESPN+ to start the conference schedule.

It's all jacked up now with all the construction there.  I think that one garage behind the School of Nursing is still tied to LHF.  And there's the two surface lots to the north and south.  I'm guessing the one across 35 by baseball will now probably handle the bulk of parking until Moody is ready.  

I have a really good parking pass for Erwin Center if you want to swap 1 or 2 games for use of it the rest of the season.  

In what is almost guaranteed to be a Top 5 matchup between Texas and Gonzaga in the very first week of the hoops season, the gametime is set for primetime:

Texas @ Gonzaga, 7:30-9:30p (PST)/9:30-11:30p (CST) on ESPN2---Saturday, 13 November.

Expect the Longhorn Network to go ahead and select some time in the next week Third Tier Rights for the Kansas football game and I'm guessing either put it on early in the day (which would make 4 of our 6 home games at 11:00am).  Or maybe try to make it a double-header of sorts.  Give people 60-90 minutes to get out of the stadium and somewhere to watch the game...so have it end around 8:00p, start at 4:30p.  Or 5:00p maybe?  Have it just completely off-set from all the other usual broadcast windows.  

Anyway, that's gonna be a fun Saturday, prepare thine livers.  Beat two perennial basketball powerhouses, one on the field, one on the court.  You've seen what these guns can do in the desert, now let's see what they do in the ring...I WANT HOLYFIELD!  /farleystorminnorman

On 10/10/2021 at 12:42 AM, Pancho said:

Watch us mess around and win the NC. That would be so on brand for sports this year. 

The talent is there, if the team gels there is no reason why they can't make a deep tourney run.

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

In what is almost guaranteed to be a Top 5 matchup between Texas and Gonzaga in the very first week of the hoops season, the gametime is set for primetime:

Texas @ Gonzaga, 7:30-9:30p (PST)/9:30-11:30p (CST) on ESPN2---Saturday, 13 November.

Expect the Longhorn Network to go ahead and select some time in the next week Third Tier Rights for the Kansas football game and I'm guessing either put it on early in the day (which would make 4 of our 6 home games at 11:00am).  Or maybe try to make it a double-header of sorts.  Give people 60-90 minutes to get out of the stadium and somewhere to watch the game...so have it end around 8:00p, start at 4:30p.  Or 5:00p maybe?  Have it just completely off-set from all the other usual broadcast windows.  

Anyway, that's gonna be a fun Saturday, prepare thine livers.  Beat two perennial basketball powerhouses, one on the field, one on the court.  You've seen what these guns can do in the desert, now let's see what they do in the ring...I WANT HOLYFIELD!  /farleystorminnorman

Texas and Zaga will be the biggest non-conference match up of the year. I can't wait for that game, it's going to give us a perfect picture of where the basketball program stands and if Beard can pull it off Texas could head into conference play ranked #1. I haven't been so hyped for a season to begin since the 2007 season where the team was young, but extremely talented.

Yeah, I'm nervous as hell about it.  I think we match up fantastically on paper.  But the team will be so new together, that's my hangup as we've exhausted on here.  I respect Beard for scheduling it, but it's such an early game---we just won't any experience together except an exhibition game open to the public and then a regular season opener just days before with Houston Baptist.  But most experts seeing us as about even on paper, but I'm sure primetime Saturday night in their 'Dog House' will be intimidating.

Doing a quick and dirty sampling of a half dozen pre-season rankings sites from legit sources...should be #3 Texas @ #1 Gonzaga.  For a game in the first half of November, that's absolutely incredible.

41 minutes ago, Chad said:

Texas and Zaga will be the biggest non-conference match up of the year.

I can't wait for that game, it's going to give us a perfect picture of where the basketball program stands and if Beard can pull it off Texas could head into conference play ranked #1. I

1)I don't think you'll find too many who agree with that. Gonzaga and UCLA play 10 days after our game with the Zags, and after those two teams played the game of the year last year, that's probably the game that the most neutrals are looking forward to/the biggest matchup. 

2)we're not going to get the "perfect picture" of what Beard in this team can do in early November. win or lose, we can't read too much into that game. we've seen Beard teams struggle early and then contend for a title, and we've seen Texas in recent years make early season "statements" against teams like Duke, Gonzaga, and UNC, only for those teams to ultimately be mediocre. it's going to take time for this team to jell on the court reach their peak. this team more than most with so many new faces. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Radio Interview this AM on 104.9

The segment will be posted later, third hour about half way through.

He’s an interesting interview, to say the least. Some points:

- Talked about Coach Black and Coach Penders, latter will go into the Hall of Honor this weekend. Said that Travis Mays texted asking where he should park, replied that an all-time great guard here should park “in my spot”, a lot of letterman are expected.

- In response to a question from Hogan about if/how he coaches on finishing games, replied that they go over final four minute scenarios regularly, elaborated point later by explaining the TV Timeout rule requires a break on first dead ball after four minutes have passed since previous t/o. Said they coach the players to play hard for four and they practice that way.

- In that vein, said that there will normally be 10 breaks in a game and they coach the point of winning the first possession after each timeout. Said something like “If you win those 10 in the B12 you’ll probably win the game.”

- Questioned about pre-season awards, said they understand the interest but don’t give much importance to them. Used Courtney Ramey as an example, said he’ll play at All B12 level and will end up in the NBA, yet no mentions yet. Said post-season are the ones they value.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

csb/ Had Brock Cunningham in the second section of my McCombs class yesterday (it's an elective open to non-business majors).  Although it's a MW class, it's for 75 minutes-12:30 to 1:45p.  We're all on zoom for this one so he's among the first to login so he's on my first page of video feeds (about half the kids have video off)...I usually call on a half dozen or so, human nature you call on people who's faces you can see.  I tell class I'm hang out online until 2:00p if they have more questions.  So my last question goes to Brock at about 1:43p.  I didn't realize he was zooming in from the Cooley pavilion and that practice apparently starts at 2:00 with shoot-around beforehand.

So he stands up and he's in warm-ups, while he's answering the question (correctly I might add), holding his phone with one hand, rips off his warm-ups.  starts running down the hall into the gym, finishes his answer, sets his shit down and you can hear somebody throw him a ball and he starts dribbling and yells, "Let's do this!"  a couple minutes later he comes back and shuts off zoom.  

Got me so damn fired up for basketball season.  /csb 

That's a pretty demonstrable picture of where the experts see the three tiers of Big XII Hoops this season

1-Kansas, Texas, Baylor 

2-TX Tech, OK-State, WVU

3-OU, TCU, K-State, and ISU

Sucks for the Cyclones.  You can tell that every single coach voted them dead last.  No hiding it.  

Anything can happen, one game at a time, it's a deep league, etc., etc., insert cliche here.  But you've got to have your targets set on sweeping all Tier-3 teams (8-0), split with Tier 1 teams (2-2), and win at home with tier 2 and steal one on the road.  14-4, co-champs with Kansas and get a favorable geographic seeding.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's a pretty demonstrable picture of where the experts see the three tiers of Big XII Hoops this season

1-, Texas, Kansas, Baylor 

2-TX Tech, OK-State, WVU

3-OU, TCU, K-State, and ISU

Sucks for the Cyclones.  You can tell that every single coach voted them dead last.  No hiding it.  

Anything can happen, one game at a time, it's a deep league, etc., etc., insert cliche here.  But you've got to have your targets set on sweeping all Tier-3 teams (8-0), split with Tier 1 teams (3-3), and win at home with tier 1 and steal one on the road.  14-4, outright co-champs with Kansas and get a favorable geographic seeding.  

fixed.

f ku.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
f ku