Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

You do realize that in the “blame the messenger” analogy the poor messenger is delivering somebody else’s message and not his own?

Yep, Mr. Roethlisberger, you've decoded the meaning of a well known saying. Excellent job.

In this particular instance the messenger relayed everything the basketball world knew about Shaka, and for that you're mad at him.

But really, you're actually mad at Shaka because he didn't fulfill his promise of being a basketball savant that won lots of games and took Texas on deep tourney runs. Your anger towards Bitterwhiteguy is misdirected. He just relayed that Shaka speaks like a basketball coaching genius with an extremely successful HAVOC system. It's not his fault Shaka turned out to be a fraud that didn't run the system he was known for.

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Yep, Mr. Roethlisberger, you've decoded the meaning of a well known saying. Excellent job.

In this particular instance the messenger relayed everything the basketball world knew about Shaka, and for that you're mad at him.

But really, you're actually mad at Shaka because he didn't fulfill his promise of being a basketball savant that won lots of games and took Texas on deep tourney runs. Your anger towards Bitterwhiteguy is misdirected. He just relayed that Shaka speaks like a basketball coaching genius with an extremely successful HAVOC system. It's not his fault Shaka turned out to be a fraud that didn't run the system he was known for.

You seem angry 

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

BWG kept spouting that message for years, well after 99% of UT hoops fans saw Shaka for who he is: even during (after?) year 4 BWG was writing that that no other coach would be doing a better job than what Shaka had been doing at Texas, and posited that us plebs were simply not knowledgeable enough to realize it. so, yeah. 

Edited by shadow_operative

IT

Spoiler

BASKETBALL

The commitment of Jaylon Tyson was just what Chris Beard and staff needed to get some momentum rolling. To show just how focused Beard is on not wasting a season in Austin, a source relayed to IT that Beard asked members of the staff on Sunday when the first recruit was going to “pop.” That was just two days after his introductory press conference.

Tyson will add an elite shooting piece to the program, and he comes at 6-foot-6. In talking to a strong D/FW source, the great thing about Tyson is that Texas will have him for two or three years.

The staff has met with families of several current Texas players, which includes Jericho Sims, Matt Coleman, Courtney Ramey, Andrew Jones, and Greg Brown. Things could go one way or another quickly, but there has been some positive movement with the five players mentioned above. If Texas keeps three of the five mentioned in the fold, along with Brock Cunningham, Jase Febres and now Jaylon Tyson — there will be excitement in the building about Texas having a very good team in 2021-22, especially considering more pieces will be added.

Texas knows it has an uphill battle to keep Tamar Bates, but the entire staff is putting forth an effort while weighing other options (see the offer to TyTy Washington Thursday night). Sharp-shooting forward David Joplin has had a family member reach out to the Texas staff to let them know he is still interested in being a Longhorn. If things move in a positive direction, Texas is not likely to turn away a skilled 6-7 four man.

Texas offering 2021 PG and former Creighton verbal TyTy Washington shows the Longhorns absolutely believe they are in the race for the 6-foot-3 top-35 ranked prospect. Kansas was thought to have a very good chance before Jerrance Howard left for Texas. Texas is battling several high major programs, including Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, Kansas, and Oklahoma State.

The chances of Texas picking up Micah Peavy may have gone down with Jaylon Tyson committing, Febres and Cunningham expected back, and the growing likelihood of two of the three starting guards coming back for one more season. Peavy really wants to get to a place where he can become part of a leadership role on a team. To be clear, IT is not saying Texas is out of this recruitment.

As far as transfers Texas is involved with, the list IT published Thursday morning remains: PG Xavier Pinson (Missouri), CG Devin Askew (Kentucky), G/W Stanley Umude (South Dakota), F Timmy Allen (Utah), PFs Tanner and Jacob Groves (Eastern Washington).

Texas has also reached out to UNLV’s Bryce Hamilton since the news broke Thursday he would be leaving Las Vegas. Hamilton, the cousin of former Texas star Jordan Hamilton, averaged 17.9 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 2020-21.

• Hook 'Em 1

More from Gerry

Spoiler

On hoops ... just want to be clear that IT feels like the 2021 signees are long shots to end up at Texas.

Texas would absolutely take Tamar Bates if he wants to come.

Texas wouldn't say no to Joplin because of his ability to shoot the ball, but other things could happen to take that off the table.

Texas has a real shot at TyTy Washington.

Edited by Machinator

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

More from Gerry

Hide contents

On hoops ... just want to be clear that IT feels like the 2021 signees are long shots to end up at Texas.

Texas would absolutely take Tamar Bates if he wants to come.

Texas wouldn't say no to Joplin because of his ability to shoot the ball, but other things could happen to take that off the table.

Texas has a real shot at TyTy Washington.

Thank you Thank you Washington is pretty damn good. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Uh, we were just having a laugh about a blogger who anointed Shaka as the second coming of Larry Brown and John Wooden till you blustered in with your deadpan humorless defense of said "spot on" analysis.

And bro, nobody is "mad" or "angry."  Have you been on the basketball boards at all the last four years?  These last two weeks have been like one long Christmas miracle.

I think we can sum Shaka up with "you are what your record says you are".  he got 2 extra years of pay, IMO, due to Covid and stupid as shit extension.

I didn't care what he said in interviews or public events. he never embarrassed Texas in public or recruiting(which is table stakes and not hard to do if you aren't an idiot) but we took the beatings and embarrassment on the court.

we were lucky Marquette had an opening.   good luck Marquette.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What are the realistic chances of us landing ty Washington? 

No clue but sounds like Kansas might have a chance to land Pinson from Missouri. I would think that means they're out on Ty Ty Washington. Pinson apparently announced that he was down to LSU and Kansas last night. 

That would really help because I think Kansas was the favorite to land Washington. 

But there are a lot of schools involved with Washington. Also, I think Howard (the assistant Texas just hired) was the lead recruiter on Washington at Kansas. 

Edited by texasstrong12

IT

Spoiler

BASKETBALL

Texas could be informed of a decision from 2021 PG TyTy Washington (Compass Prep/Chandler, AZ) any day, or it could potentially take a couple of weeks. From what IT has gathered, UCLA has emerged as the main competition for the Longhorns. Oregon and Oklahoma State are still trying.

Updating the latest from the transfer portal, Northwestern SF Miller Kopp (6-7, 215) is drawing some interest from Texas. The former Houston Christian four-star recruit averaged double figures for Northwestern the last two seasons, which includes kicking down 99 three-pointers at around 37%.

Lamar University 6-10 big man David Muoka is another player in the portal Texas is showing interest in. The shot blocker and top defensive player in the Southland Conference is seen as a player that could play a key role defensively.

Texas remains in the mix with guard Devin Askew (Kentucky) and Tanner and Jacob Groves (Eastern Washington), as well as some others.

The Texas staff continues to work to get a feel for which players will return off the current roster with Brock Cunningham and Jase Febres expected back. Andrew Jones and Courtney Ramey are the most likely at this point to stay in Austin. Texas is still working on Jericho Sims and Matt Coleman. The feeling is Greg Brown will likely not return to Texas. This one has gone back and forth in recent days but will likely need one more swing.

26 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

#2 JUCO

According to 247, he signed an LOI. They didn't lose their coach, did they?

I'm confused about someone just saying "You know that binding contract? Yeh, well, even though nothing has changed, I'm just going to act like I never signed it.

How is that possible? What am I missing?

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm confused about someone just saying "You know that binding contract? Yeh, well, even though nothing has changed, I'm just going to act like I never signed it.

Those mean nothing this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm guessing Bama informed him or gave their blessings to check for other options. Charles Bediacko recently signed with them in the last week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

"binding contract" - lmao

57 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'll have to consult Bru Mccoy and get back to you

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Febres confirms he’s running it back 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNltuxeljv3/?igshid=1ei28axqzbujd

What part of his game will Coach Beard & Co. help him develop the most so that he is much better in this coming year than he was last year?

I'm guessing "Defense" would be the normal answer, but I was wonder also if:
-Catch & Shoot?
-Moving his feet on defense?
-Not falling for the pump fake?
-Making better passes?...

I'm just wonder what his deficiencies were that made people uncomfortable when he was on the floor. And whether the new coaching staff could help those deficiencies. 

I think he is going to be better this year regardless of the coach. He seemed like he was gradually getting his legs back under him as the year progressed. I think the knee injury really affected him and it can take a while to fully recover your game and ven after your body is ok.

This is great news IMO.

it's fine news, it isn't great news. Kai Jones returning would be great news. this TyTy kid committing might be great news. Jase Febres returning is a good thing, but it's far from a game changer. he's a good spot-up shooter who I'm happy to have back, but we still have such an uphill battle to field a competitive roster at this point that we shouldn't get too worked up over a career 6.9 ppg one-trick pony announcing his return. 

What part of his game will Coach Beard & Co. help him develop the most so that he is much better in this coming year than he was last year?
I'm guessing "Defense" would be the normal answer, but I was wonder also if:
-Catch & Shoot?
-Moving his feet on defense?
-Not falling for the pump fake?
-Making better passes?...
I'm just wonder what his deficiencies were that made people uncomfortable when he was on the floor. And whether the new coaching staff could help those deficiencies. 

Despite flashes of showing some offensive ability (he pump faked and drove the lane once for a dunk), he has exhibited many bad habits / deficiencies that were not corrected or improved in his stay here... the ones that bothered me most included his unwillingness to box out for rebounds and lazy reaching on defense... on offense he fell in love (and was not coached up otherwise) with just standing in the corner and allowed his defender to cheat off him and rest...

even when he was hot in rare games on offense, his weak defense ended up putting him on the bad side of the +\- column...

his overall physicality and effort reminded me of a skilled junior high kid getting a taste of being bullied around by a grown man and being intimidated by it... a change in mindset and some firm coaching could make him a useful player this year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

it's fine news, it isn't great news. Kai Jones returning would be great news. this TyTy kid committing might be great news. Jase Febres returning is a good thing, but it's far from a game changer. he's a good spot-up shooter who I'm happy to have back, but we still have such an uphill battle to field a competitive roster at this point that we shouldn't get too worked up over a career 6.9 ppg one-trick pony announcing his return. 

Given that we're in "we need enough players to field a full roster of non-walkons" mode, I think Febres coming back isn't something to get too sniffy about.

like i said, i'm happy about it, but the news doesn't really move the needle for me. how many extra wins will we have next year because of this news? 'none' would be my guess. when we start getting some news that leads me to believe that we won't be a complete dumpster fire next season, then i might call that great news. returning a bench/bit player is not that. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Febres is nothing special but he's a decent role player off the bench. As Texifornia said, Texas is gonna need bodies at this point to fill out a roster. 

Right now the roster is Febres, Cunningham, Tyson and probably A. Jones. So 9 more scholarships to divide between potential returning players, JUCO, TyTy Washington and transfers. 

Texas really needs one or two more out of Brown, Ramey, Sims, and Coleman to return because finding as many quality players as Texas needs will not be an easy task. 

Edited by texasstrong12

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Febres is nothing special but he's a decent role player off the bench. As Texifornia said, Texas is gonna need bodies at this point to fill out a roster. 

Right now the roster is Febres, Cunningham, Tyson and probably A. Jones. So 9 more scholarships to divide between potential returning players, JUCO, TyTy Washington and transfers. 

Texas really needs one or two more out of Brown, Ramey, Sims, and Coleman to return because finding as many quality players as Texas needs will not be an easy task. 

i think that Brown, Sims, and Coleman are all gone. maybe Sims gets talked into staying for one more year. that would also be exciting news were it to transpire.

A lot of Kentucky fans are going to trash him for this season, but he's young for his year and their whole team was a shitshow. The only players who were remotely in a position to succeed by the end of the year were Dontaie Allen and Isaiah Jackson.