Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

one thing i actually have noticed about Febres. it have never heard mentioned: the guy has a knack for blocking shots as a help defender. i can remember a number of times where an opposing player drove the lane, and when the guy went up to challenge Sims and double clutched or brought the ball down Febres was right there to swat it from behind. i think he might have some real untapped defensive potential. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He's not wrong.

I think we can all agree the program today already is in better shape than it was a month ago.

come on man. Barnes left a program that was still winning 20 games and going to the tourney 95% of the time. he left a deep roster full of experienced players who were ready to win 20 games/play in the tourney, while giving Shaka plenty of time to recruit replacements for said players. that's leaving the program in a good situation. 

Shaka literally left Beard a roster that would not even be allowed to compete due to a lack of players. the idea that Shaka left the program in a good place is retarded, and Beard knows that. He's just saying the right things because he's not dumb. i mean, we haven't been in worse shape for a coaching transition since...ever? even Weltlich left the program in better shape, and that's not even up for debate. Shaka bludgeoned this program damn near to death. there's no way around it. 

Edited by shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

come on man. Barnes left a program that was still winning 20 games and going to the tourney 95% of the time. he left a deep roster full of experienced players who were ready to win 20 games/play in the tourney, while giving Shaka plenty of time to recruit replacements for said players.

Shaka literally left Beard a roster that would not even be allowed to compete due to a lack of players. the idea that Shaka left the program in a good place is retarded, and Beard knows that. He's just saying the right things because he's not dumb. 

It sounds like you both are saying essentially the same thing.

Shaka sucked, everyone knows that, and Beard is just being pc.    

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

come on man. Barnes left a program that was still winning 20 games and going to the tourney 95% of the time. he left a deep roster full of experienced players who were ready to win 20 games/play in the tourney, while giving Shaka plenty of time to recruit replacements for said players. that's leaving the program in a good situation. 

Shaka literally left Beard a roster that would not even be allowed to compete due to a lack of players. the idea that Shaka left the program in a good place is retarded, and Beard knows that. He's just saying the right things because he's not dumb. i mean, we haven't been in worse shape for a coaching transition since...ever? even Weltlich left the program in better shape, and that's not even up for debate. Shaka bludgeoned this program damn near to death. there's no way around it. 

Reading is hard.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

tumblr_pcsqzc2pZ01s60q8uo1_500.gifv

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Shaka leaving the program was his way of leaving it in better shape.

This. Who knew Shaka being so pitiful at roster management would end up being potentially a good thing? If we had a roster full of Shaka guys at the moment I don’t think I would be as excited as I am for next year. Not saying he wasn’t bringing in some solid talent, but this is going to be on another level IMO. Now Beard gets to bring back some of the best talent from this year’s team, while also essentially going through free agency with a ton of scholarships to work with and the most talented transfer pool there may ever be. And he’s already proven to be pretty damn good at plugging transfers into his rosters.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

one thing i actually have noticed about Febres. it have never heard mentioned: the guy has a knack for blocking shots as a help defender. i can remember a number of times where an opposing player drove the lane, and when the guy went up to challenge Sims and double clutched or brought the ball down Febres was right there to swat it from behind. i think he might have some real untapped defensive potential. 

Chico Vasquez was the master of this...

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

I was in Players in the mid-late '90s and the "Closing Time" episode of BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD was playing on the big screen. 

The guys from the kitchen would stick their heads out the pickup window and really chuckled a lot at throwing raw patties up into the ceiling fans. I'm sure that they weren't stoned... or anything.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

aggy basketball is an absolute dumpster fire. This was their only good player last season. 

I also hope we have interest in Miller. He's a very good player. 

The fact of the matter is, despite the losses of Kai Jones, Hepa, Hamm, Liddell and most probably Coleman and GB3, the portal has already and will continue to provide Texas with the opportunity to field an extremely competitive and experienced squad that, under Beard's coaching, should contend for a top 3 Big 12 finish, especially if Sims and Ramey come back. 

The returners + the potential returners + the newcomers = top 3 Big 12 finish and potentially a 4 or 5 seed in Beard's first year.  Beard won't be relying on freshman to get acclimated to college ball, Allen and Askew have high-level P5 experience already. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Barnes’ teams were unranked in 6 of his final 7 seasons at Texas and had a losing conference record in 2 of his last 3.

His teams were ranked in 6 of his first 9 seasons. There was shrinkage in Barnes productivity which was ended up being just slightly less shitty than what we saw out of Shaka.

The last time we had an elite team, Matt Hill shaved his fro and was dominating with 3 rebounds per game. That 2010-11 team had basically five guys who could really score, then Balbay, Jai Lucas, Alexis Wangmene, and Matt Hill off the bench.

Shaka is a Surly 3, Barnes a Surly 4.

End of Barnes discussion, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

IT

Spoiler

Hoops recruiting

Members of the Texas staff, including Chris Beard, will be meeting with the families of Jericho Sims, Courtney Ramey, and Matt Coleman over the weekend as Texas makes a final push to see which or how many of the three players will return to Texas for another season.

Texas has improving possibilities in the backcourt in the transfer market, so having a much better feel for how things will shake out is needed. While Texas isn’t in a rush to finalize a 2021-2022 roster, the staff does need to know relatively quickly on Coleman and Ramey in order to move forward in the portal in the backcourt.

Oklahoma’s De’Vion Harmon, Rutgers' Jacob Young and Sienna’s Jalen Pickett are in the mix at guard with decisions expected in the next couple of weeks.

In the front court, the decision of Sims plays a key role here. While Timmy Allen will gobble up plenty of quality minutes as a combo forward, the pickings are currently slim on the interior in terms of traditional bigs.

Texas is in the final four for offensively skilled big man Tanner Groves, and versatile 6-8 forward Jacob Groves. But neither are considered strong rebounders and defenders at a high-major level.

Texas is in the final three for Creighton transfer Christian Bishop along with North Carolina and Kansas. Bishop is a 6-7 very athletic power forward, but without the ideal height and face-up ability Texas desires. Robinson is scheduled to announce his decision Saturday.

The Longhorns would absolutely be thrilled if Oklahoma sharp-shooting power forward Brady Manek reconsidered UT and reached back out. North Carolina, Duke, and Stanford are the three under serious consideration right now.