A Year In The Life of Derka- a short film by me, Derka "The Shark" Derka

shadow_operative

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

So there's this app called "One Second Every Day". My friend showed it to me a couple of years ago and i've been hooked ever since. Ive always loved film and photography; i was always photographing and recording things my entire life, and this app made that super easy for me. 

Anyhoo, I've been adding clips to the app and making films ever since then, and i recently was presented with a reason to make a highlight reel of the last 12 months. i made the reel and uploaded it to youtube, and then threw it up on my 60-whatever inch roku TV and watched it, and i honestly felt/feel, "damn, this is pretty cool; this could have a bit of mass appeal."

welp, as it happens i am in the process of starting my own youtube channel (i technically already have one, but this will be me being dedicated to producing content and trying to accrue followers), and things like this film will be posted on that channel and sometimes shared here, so i figured i may as well post this one right now.

finally, this was the unexpected thing that the film did for me- this last year has been hard. i mean no doubt it's been hard on everyone, but got damn was this last year was a struggle for me, for a multitude of reasons. and yet, when i watched this film on my TV, i felt all warm and fuzzy inside. i said, "man, that looks like a pretty decent life. that looks quite enjoyable." and ultimately that's my hope for anyone who watches this- that it makes them feel good, and feel like life is/can be beautiful, even during the shittiest of times.

so, without further loquaciousness, here it is- A Year In The Life of Derka. i hope you enjoy it.

sweet swing at 21:32

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

That was cool. I'd like to try something like that but I'd never remember to record anything.

For the TV and video game screengrabs do you use some sort of program or do you just have your phone set up to record the TV?

i save the replays using my xbox one, which then saves the replays in "my library" on the xbox app, which i then use to upload them to my phone. 

Edited by shadow_operative

some notes-

•that WAS a big-ass rat

•the blue and yellow basketball is a Nikola Jokic ball ("of course it is." - the entire NBA thread)

•I've since learned of this "sunscreen" that everyone has been talking about 

•you can see three stages of my dog Chief- before May 17th of last year when he was fine; on/after May 17th of last year when he got very sick and nearly died; and then moving forward and into 2021 when his medicine had done its job and half of his face was no longer dropping so profoundly. mentally and emotionally he's back to normal. extra note- boxers and goldens are the best

•on the bird clip from July 6th you can hear my mom say. "he just pooped!" lol

•on October 3rd she's saying, "Tiny Rick!" which is the phrase we use when we're going to give our dogs treats 

•"America's at war with Al Qaeda!" squirrel kills me. 😂 one of the best things i've ever gotten on film 

•lotta good music in there 

18 hours ago, DougO said:

Interesting watch. I just wish phone videoers could turn the thing sideways and orient horizontal like a regularass screen.

Everyone watches vids on their phones almost exclusively now (fuck you tiktok, instagram, Twitter). Soon horizontally shot videos will be the weird type.

5 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Grandma seems cool, as do dogs

Good shooting form, but lacking vertical leap to play at the next level

Rock Chalk Jayhawk?  What am I missing here?

You live off Applewood?  

one of my former students (KJ Adams) is playing ball at KU next year. our families go way back, and he and I are quite close. 

and yup, been here off Applewood for the better part of 30 years. 

Edited by shadow_operative

12 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

That video was oddly calming and enjoyable.

This is a really good point.  My initial thought was "damn, I don't spend enough time smelling the roses (shooting the basketball)".  But then when I read the OP, and thought about my average day, I thought, yeah, I spend some time outside, walking the dog, hanging out in the backyard, doing quiet things.

Film was a good reminder that we should think about and notice those things more. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, tantric superman said:

This is a really good point.  My initial thought was "damn, I don't spend enough time smelling the roses (shooting the basketball)".  But then when I read the OP, and thought about my average day, I thought, yeah, I spend some time outside, walking the dog, hanging out in the backyard, doing quiet things.

Film was a good reminder that we should think about and notice those things more. 

Yeah Derka's backyard basketball is the equivalent to me and the dog/toddler playing in the yard every afternoon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, Scary Stranger said:

Good stuff.  Mom and dogs seem awesome.  Need to put together a Derka playlist on Spotify.

there might already be one, not sure though. i made a playlist for my mom a couple years ago called "OK cool, hook em!" lol. i use Apple Music for all of my personal playlists, but if spotify is the same then that playlist might be public. i'll check it out when i see her tonight. 👌🏼 

oh yeah, and today is Momma Derk's 67th birthday. she's at least the 3rd or 4th coolest 67 year old lady that i know. 

• 1 month later...

alright-i finally got around to doing this:

A Year in the Life of Derka- The Soundtrack

(chronological order)

OutKast- ATLiens

Ahmad- Back In The Day

J Cole- Friday Night Lights Intro

Loretta Lynn- Coal Miner's Daughter

Dru Hill- 5 Steps

OutKast- Decatur Psalm

OutKast- E.T. (Extraterrestrial)

OutKast- Millenium

Portugal. The Man- Got It All

Weezer- Say It Ain't So 

SPM feat. Hillwood Hustlers-Wheel Watcher- (DJ Screw)

Carl Orff- O Fortuna

Unknown- random Screw Tape 

Brandy- Sittin' Up In My Room

Marisa Monte- De Mais Ninguem

Lauryn Hill feat. D'Angelo- Nothing Even Matters

The Guess Who- These Eyes 

The Mindbenders- Groovy Kind Of Love

The Roots feat. Erykah Badu- You Got Me

Lil Flip feat. Redd and HAWK- Dirty Souf

The Rolling Stones- Beast Of Burden

Unknown- Random Screw Tape 

Expresso 2222- Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil

OutKast- Player's Ball

Big Chance- Them Boys Down South (DJ Screw)

Randy Travis- Forever And Ever, Amen 

Dixie Chicks- Landslide

Trae & Z-Ro- Payback

Olivia Newton John- Physical

Garth Brooks- Two Of A Kind, Workin' On A Full House

Demarcus Jacquez- Wrist This Cold

OutKast- Mainstream

Soul For Real- Every Little Thing I Do

Bone Thugs N Harmony feat Notorious B.I.G.- Notorious Thugs (DJ Screw)

Krayzie Bone- Mo' Murder

Roy Ayers- Everybody Loves The Sunshine

George Jones- Tennessee Whiskey

Geowulf- Saltwater

Fugees- Killing Me Softly 

Whitney Houston- One Moment In Time 

D'Angelo- Brown Sugar

Fugees- Fu-Gee-La

Da Brat feat. Krayzie Bone- Let's All Get High (DJ Screw)

Lil Flip feat. Big Shasta- Sunny Day

MTV Party To Go CD- unknown song

Ken Dawg- Ain't No Reason

En Vogue- Never Gonna Get It

Al Green- Love And Happiness

Nas feat. Lauryn Hill- If I Ruled The World (DJ Screw)

Elliphant feat. Doja Cat- Purple Light

Marvin Gaye- I Heard It Through The Grapevine 

Big T feat. Lil Flip- In The House Tonight (DJ Screw)

Lupe Fiasco- Hurt Me Soul

The Mamas & The Papas- California Dreaming

OutKast- Ova Da Wudz

Gnarls Barkley- Smiley Faces 

II Tru- Ghetto Bluez

Me- Car Freestyle 

Fugees- Nappy Heads- Mad Spider Remix 

Sam Cooke- A Change Is Gonna Come 

MC Hammer- U Can't Touch This 

DMX- Crime Story (RIP)

Stereo MC's- Connected 

Barry White- Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe