Washington DC Carjacking Teenage Girls

cabowabo

On 4/3/2021 at 8:07 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Who knows.  I don’t think it’s any more fragile than posters continually shrieking for a year because someone isn’t gung ho to man their socialized daycare.  

If I was leading the GOP, I would target my ammunition at the teachers’ unions and go full bore on them. No one is on their side - liberals are as frustrated as those of us on the right. Demonizing teachers is a path to the holy grail - federal legislation disbanding all public sector unions and true school choice for the kids suffering from the teachers’ union leeches. The fallback, which would be a major victory, would be an end to defined benefit plans for the public sector. It’s time for the golden parachutes to end and the public sector to have 401Ks like the rest of us. Watch white suburban women and culturally liberal urban professionals along with blacks and Latinos who bore the brunt of inner city school cultures vote Republican in droves. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

If I was leading the GOP, I would target my ammunition at the teachers’ unions and go full bore on them. No one is on their side - liberals are as frustrated as those of us on the right. Demonizing teachers is a path to the holy grail - federal legislation disbanding all public sector unions and true school choice for the kids suffering from the teachers’ union leeches. The fallback, which would be a major victory, would be an end to defined benefit plans for the public sector. It’s time for the golden parachutes to end and the public sector to have 401Ks like the rest of us. Watch white suburban women and culturally liberal urban professionals along with blacks and Latinos who bore the brunt of inner city school cultures vote Republican in droves. 

Wow...

40 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Is this what they call performance art?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Controlled locally.

It's not just one district, and you know that.  It's a national problem with lots of complex issues related.

Yes, wealth plays a huge factor, we are in lockstep on that.  

I'd at least try to create facilities that are conducive to learning, and show them they have a value as students.  Just make the buildings safe for habitation would be a start.  I'd look very hard at why we have the highest paid admins, but the lowest success rate.

Yes, Happy Easter. Enjoy that time with the "rascals".  It's precious, fleeting time.

I was just referring to the specific district, since that is the one you mentioned.    Are the buildings in a state of disrepair and unsafe?   Is the administration pay higher because it warrants having better teachers or incentivizing them to work at these school?  In other words, if the class has a 50% failure rate would an average or new teacher cause that rate to increase to 60%?  How can we define success in an area where the graduation rates/scoring is seemingly in a state of crisis?   

(Thanks and we did.  It is exhausting but the reward of seeing a 10 yr old declare of his 4 yr old brother "He's SMART!" after the 4 yr old see's an egg in a tree and decides to shake the tree to obtain the egg rather than trying to jump.   Or the middle child hide some of her eggs for the little guy to find only to watch him put them into her basket to share.)

16 hours ago, Macklemore said:

So you're on board with paying teachers what they're really worth?    And what about places like Texas where the Teacher's union is about a powerful as a fart in the wind.

18 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So you're on board with paying teachers what they're really worth?    And what about places like Texas where the Teacher's union is about a powerful as a fart in the wind.

Teachers consider themselves as professionals. Like the rest of us, they can, on their own, negotiate the best compensation package available based on their on their own experience and credentials. Exceptional candidates can be paid their worth not tied to a pay scale that benefits average to below average teachers.

Edited by Macklemore

38 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Teachers consider themselves as professionals. Like the rest of us, they can, on their own, negotiate the best compensation package available based on their on their own experience and credentials. Exceptional candidates can be paid their worth not tied to a pay scale that benefits average to below average teachers.

And we all know that businesses pay fair wages to exceptional candidates in the private sector, correct?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

The are professionals, but they are also State employees. How the State funds schools doesn't really make that possible. 

Maybe you are advocating to change that, but teachers don't have the power to do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Glad to see justly was so swiftly delivered in this case  Too bad the poor victim (or a bystander) could not carry a firearm to defend themselves or others in that shithole that is DC.  Would have been nice to rid society of these two menaces. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9437615/Two-teenage-girls-accused-car-jacking-killing-Uber-Eats-driver-reach-plea-deal.html

Edited by cabowabo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Glad to see justly was so swiftly delivered in this case  Too bad the poor victim (or a bystander) could not carry a firearm to defend themselves or others in that shithole that is DC.  Would have been nice to rid society of these two menaces. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9437615/Two-teenage-girls-accused-car-jacking-killing-Uber-Eats-driver-reach-plea-deal.html

Concealed carry is legal in DC

https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/applying-license-carry-handgun

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Just two good kids. 

No jail time and probation until 21. For armed robbery and murder. Victims just don’t pay the attorney fees or political capital these days. Nothing but criminal advocates. They should turn 30 in jail. 

19 hours ago, Macklemore said:

I wish you really were leading the GOP.  Democrats would have a super majority for the next decade.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They should turn 30 in jail. 

Fuck that.  They needlessly took a life, and destroyed a family. They will destroy more lives before they ever provide a iota of anything positive to society.   Guess they got lucky and killed someone no ones gaf about. What a world we live in. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck that.  They needlessly took a life, and destroyed a family. They will destroy more lives before they ever provide a iota of anything positive to society.   Guess they got lucky and killed someone no ones gaf about. What a world we live in. 

That may all be true. The odds are probably that it will be true.

But they were minors at the time of the crime; and not just by a week or two - by years. We set up a system of justice that treats minors differently, for many good reasons. We should keep that system, too. All of that said, any system can and will produce some shitty results in the end. Presuming these girls stay as shitty as they presently are, then that will be the case. If, however, their brains mature to a degree to understand what consequences are, then maybe not. Like I said, the odds aren’t great.

But there are a lot of very good reasons we do not have a system that disregards whether a person committing a crime is legally a child. We should keep that system. The alternative is really, really shitty.
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 4/4/2021 at 5:12 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Of course you would, Tiny Devos. Eliminate schools altogether, it creates more uneducated and easily manipulated hordes to join your fascist cause. Next you’ll tell us you’d be perfectly happy to re-segregate races because, hey, we just don’t get along and would be happier. 

Do you have proof, or do you want to flail about in your dumbass accusations. If not just shut the fuck up, Fascist jew hater. I mean if we're making shit up here.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:05 AM, Bojack said:

What would you like to see instead of public schools?

If we can't do a school option, then unsubsidized private institutions. If you actually care about your kid, then you'd take part in thier education that way. If you want to go the homeschool, that would be fine as well. The school daycare facilities seem to be failing and mo money does not equal mo better.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But they were minors at the time of the crime; and not just by a week or two - by years. We set up a system of justice that treats minors differently, for many good reasons. We should keep that system, too. All of that said, any system can and will produce some shitty results in the end. Presuming these girls stay as shitty as they presently are, then that will be the case. If, however, their brains mature to a degree to understand what consequences are, then maybe not. Like I said, the odds aren’t great.

But there are a lot of very good reasons we do not have a system that disregards whether a person committing a crime is legally a child. We should keep that system. The alternative is really, really shitty.

You know what, that’s fine. I don’t necessarily agree with it all but it is our system. But what kind of upper hand did they have to deserve a plea?   What is special about the age of 21?  Why can’t they be held in a cell?  I’m not big on conditional sentencing, I’m at a miss for the word but basically variable sentences (I think this it where minorities get fucked the most) but goddamnit.  Fuck 21.  You get out when you can prove you’ve earned your place in society.  Show me a GED and 1250 on an SAT and we can talk. Until then you can rot and think about the family you ruined.    I just can’t stand it. This guy is out driving food around at 60 years old, doing a teenagers job as a side gig. And he gets killed for it, and his justice is served by a soft sentence and plea deal gtfo.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

What would happen if the victim was black with white teens???
Nevermind, we all know. Maybe those 2 will wind up under the car in the next one they try.

Wait, are you seriously suggesting that objective evidence indicates white kids would be treated worse in similar circumstances? What the fuck drugs have you been taking? 

48 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You know what, that’s fine. I don’t necessarily agree with it all but it is our system. But what kind of upper hand did they have to deserve a plea?   What is special about the age of 21?  Why can’t they be held in a cell?  I’m not big on conditional sentencing, I’m at a miss for the word but basically variable sentences (I think this it where minorities get fucked the most) but goddamnit.  Fuck 21.  You get out when you can prove you’ve earned your place in society.  Show me a GED and 1250 on an SAT and we can talk. Until then you can rot and think about the family you ruined.    I just can’t stand it. This guy is out driving food around at 60 years old, doing a teenagers job as a side gig. And he gets killed for it, and his justice is served by a soft sentence and plea deal gtfo.  

Let's not make the mistake of confusing retribution with justice. Based on what we know, I agree these kids appear to be getting off light. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised by it as I would think the 15 year old could potentially be tried as an adult. That said, there is certainly material information that we don't know about that impacted the decision to accept this plea. 

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint:  Maybe my 4 yr old needed to go to jail after he jumped off a bunk bed and landed with a knee to my nether regions.   The 4 yr old soft 'sorry' voice didn't quite make it all better.    Sure the intent was a flying hug.  But gotdamn that one hurt.  

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Do you think this is a healthy approach to rehabilitation and course correction for these two?  

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Do you think this is a healthy approach to rehabilitation and course correction for these two?  

That brings us to the sad reality that our criminal justice system is more about punishment and vengeance than it is about rehabilitation.

We get off on making people suffer for their transgressions. It's one of the more unfortunate remnants of our puritan roots.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/4/2021 at 6:39 PM, Macklemore said:

Imao

Edited by lmao

11 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Do you think 5-8 years in a facility that is likely more stable than your household is apropos “punishment” for assault, theft, and murder?  We can agree their brains were not fully developed adult brains, however they absolutely knew what the consequences of driving someone clinging to a car down a street at high speed was.  

If a 15 yo sexually assaulted your daughter, what kind of rehabilitation period would you suggest? Few years in a light duty juvenile facility so he could get a stable life, maybe work on his GED, then out into the world as if it never happened?  This wasn’t a bar fight gone wrong. It was an assault (taser), theft, then a continued assault (dragging him down street) which led to his death.   Several bad decisions, not a spur of the moment teenage faux pas.  The fact is these two teenage girls and an absolute drag on our society, forever will be, and it is a shame they didn’t perish in the wreck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

These are the ONLY certainties

It is an absolute lie, to say that most Republicans are racist!

It is an absolute truth, that if you are a racist (admitting or in denial) you are most likely currently to vote Republican. And Racists loved the shit out of Donald Trump, because he gave them a voice they have not had since George Wallace.

It is also true that the Democrats were once the party of racism, and that switched to the Republican party after the Civil rights push of the 1960's. 

Continue on with the  minutiae. 

But yes teen girls that are guilty should face penalties, when they harm others.  OF course if you are a Republican AG who ran over a guy, reported the guy as a deer, then found the dead guy the next morning, then the police found the dead mans glasses inside your car because his face went through your windshield... Teen carjackers only wish they could have such wonderful "Justice...."

Another reason why I don't have a problem with people who honesty do not want, and will not take care of their children, given access to abortion.  The cost of an abortion is pretty cheap, the costs of lifetime incarcerations and years of public services are not.. Too bad the love of children from the GOP for the most part (NOT COMPLETELY) is when the child is not yet born.  Amazingly with all the GOP passion on this issue there are not loving and open GOP arms for to both foster and adopt the unwanted they work so hard to force into this world with their political policies.

Of course I am a true fiscal conservative... so my view is in a small minority on either side of the aisle.

Edited by horn4life

On 4/3/2021 at 2:38 PM, Brisketexan said:

You’ve pointed out something that’s important - there’s a natural defensiveness that comes about when a person thinks they’re being accused of racism. But systemic racism isn’t about that kind of racism or attitude. That’s actually the point. We can have a society that - today - is made up of nothing but non-racist people, but still has systemic racism. That’s because the systems and their effects are long-lived and deeply rooted.

We have a history that has put black people at a disadvantage for, literally, centuries. We had purposeful policies that were harshly discriminatory just 50-60 years ago, and not all of them are fully eliminated even today.

Give me 100 people from a group that was subject to purposeful and systemic discrimination for hundreds of years, vs 100 people from a group that wasn’t, and the second group is going to have a significant leg-up on and advantage over the first group. The systems that exist - systems built over those same centuries - will naturally favor the second group. It’s ok to acknowledge that reality. It doesn’t mean you are a racist because you’re a member of that second group. You didn’t do anything wrong, so you don’t need to be defensive. But if we want to have a well-functioning society, we still need to acknowledge those systems and their effects, and work to remedy them.

What took 350 years to build isn’t undone in 50 years. We have work to do. It’s ok to accept that.

I'm not reading this whole thread, but Jane Elliot nails it here, we all know exactly what is going on, and to deny that is obvious.

19 hours ago, cabowabo said:

18 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Just two good kids. 

No jail time and probation until 21. For armed robbery and murder. Victims just don’t pay the attorney fees or political capital these days. Nothing but criminal advocates. They should turn 30 in jail. 

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

you guys are so cool and tough and strong I wish I could be like you!

32 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Do you think 5-8 years in a facility that is likely more stable than your household is apropos “punishment” for assault, theft, and murder?  We can agree their brains were not fully developed adult brains, however they absolutely knew what the consequences of driving someone clinging to a car down a street at high speed was.  

If a 15 yo sexually assaulted your daughter, what kind of rehabilitation period would you suggest? Few years in a light duty juvenile facility so he could get a stable life, maybe work on his GED, then out into the world as if it never happened?  This wasn’t a bar fight gone wrong. It was an assault (taser), theft, then a continued assault (dragging him down street) which led to his death.   Several bad decisions, not a spur of the moment teenage faux pas.  The fact is these two teenage girls and an absolute drag on our society, forever will be, and it is a shame they didn’t perish in the wreck. 

Is this a joke? Are you joking? 

50 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That brings us to the sad reality that our criminal justice system is more about punishment and vengeance than it is about rehabilitation.

We get off on making people suffer for their transgressions. It's one of the more unfortunate remnants of our puritan roots.

Ding ding ding.  Not sure it's easily attributed to Puritan roots as that was pretty dominant in places that have moved on, too, but the rest of it is spot on.

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

No. Why would I joke about an innocent mans tragic death at the hands of a couple of dregs? 

The common interpretation of not taking the lord's name in vain is to not use his name while swearing. (Don't say "JESUS!" when you hit your toe on a table leg.) Another interpretation of not taking the lord's name in vain is to not invoke him unnecessarily. (Don't say, "As a Christian..." in arguments.) I ascribe to the latter rather than the former.

So what does it mean to "joke"?

Is it creating a ridiculous premise for the purpose of laughter? Or is it simply making a ridiculous premise?

If the latter then... yes, you are joking.

If I was in the GOP and vying for leadership I would simply tell the truth...

... and then be ostracized immediately from the party...

Now back to this cancelling Dr. Suess!  

Fun Fact - as a teenager former First Lady Laura Bush ran a stop sign and killed somebody. Guess how much time she served?

NOT excusing the light sentencing (IMO) but pointing out some super light instances for the lighter hues...

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That's a mighty big assumption there in bold.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But who will think of the children felonious murderers?

fify.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Do you honestly believe felons re-enter society as if nothing ever happened? 

I believe many never feel remorse for their crimes.  They are told, by people like you, that it isn't their fault.  It was really the situation they were forced into.  So, really, they can't be blamed for their actions. It's the actions of others for decades that caused this, right?

12 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Fun Fact - as a teenager former First Lady Laura Bush ran a stop sign and killed somebody. Guess how much time she served?

As in accidentally ran a stop sign, or maliciously ran a stop sign and ran someone down in cold blood?  Are you trying to say what these girls did was an accident?  At what point was the tasing, stealing, and then dragging a man several blocks down the street an accident?  

45 minutes ago, horn4life said:

OF course if you are a Republican AG who ran over a guy, reported the guy as a deer, then found the dead guy the next morning, then the police found the dead mans glasses inside your car because his face went through your windshield...

Not familiar with this, but fuck that guy too.  Murder is murder, not too hard to understand.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a mighty big assumption there in bold.

Why?  You believe our best and brightest typically come from felonious backgrounds, after spending their youth in facilities?  Have any kind of stats on that?  Dollars to donuts they are offenders again, shortly after release.  Someone else will pay with their life, or property, and then we can all pay to house and feed them some more, and hope they can rehabilitate.  Then we can do it again. 

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Why?  You believe our best and brightest typically come from felonious backgrounds, after spending their youth in facilities?  Have any kind of stats on that?  Dollars to donuts they are offenders again, shortly after release.  Someone else will pay with their life, or property, and then we can all pay to house and feed them some more, and hope they can rehabilitate.  Then we can do it again. 

DIdn't say best and brightest.  That's a terrible strawman and you should be ashamed. 

Moreover, you're not making any sense because you seem to be arguing for throwing them in adult prison.  Or maybe it's the death penalty that you think is the solution here.

But, it happens.  https://www.michaelcorcoran.net/austins-secret-murder-in-the-classroom-1978/  And, in case that article doesn't specify, John is a lawyer in Austin in good standing for 31 years and by all accounts a good citizen.  Granted, he had some opportunities unavailable to many juvenile offenders, but the juvenile system gave him a chance.

Thanks to the juvenile system, these two kids have a chance to be citizens.  It's just a chance.  But I'm willing to grant them that chance.  Are you so full of vengeance that you aren't?

You don't think the social costs (pay to house and feed prisoners while in prison and out) of our current carceral state are not enormous?

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

At what point was the tasing, stealing, and then dragging a man several blocks down the street an accident?  

Their intention was to rob the man. Their intention was not to crash the car. The killing was accidental, by definition.

What they wanted was for him to leave the vehicle so they could drive away in the car. They panicked, afraid of consequences and terrified that their idiotic plan wasn't working. They are idiots, brats, poorly-raised, and obviously awful influences on each other. Their intention was not to kill this guy.

A very simple question for you to not answer: What do you think the most rational and sensible way to handle this would be, legally speaking?