I hate giving article more attention but, please explain fitness and neoliberalism to me.

crash_davis

5 hours ago, sidis said:

if you are actually looking for feedback beyond just a pile-on of your perceived uselessness of academic research that this thread has weirdly tangentially careened off into despite this being a book....my perspective is it is a fairly misguided effort to find corrollaries between two things that aren't really correlated but in which there are some similar frameworks - namely achieving self-actualization through "achievement"...either economic or in physical attractiveness (as opposed to physical well-being).  that the marketplace of neoliberal economics also creates a marketplace for imagery and vanity. some trends could probably fit into this melding of frameworks in a micro sense such as social media economics (e.g., hot girl influencers posting thirst traps, etc... and getting paid for it) but it ignores a severely undermining elephant in the room regarding human biology, aesthetics, and the fact that attractive women and men have always risen to the top regardless of political economic systems.

it also simply brushes aside with no real explanation the physiological benefits of fitness and the existence of a lot of people who pursue it not just for vanity, but for its physiological benefits.  most people i know in the upper-middle to upper class 35-50 people that actually to pursue fitness do it for those benefits more than vanity - not that vanity isn't a welcome benefit.

not the best thesis, and highly cherry-picked data (more like concepts than data honestly) to support what is effectively "capitalism encourages and worships competition and the winners who leverage that system...and people trying to look good is effectively competition in the vanity marketplace in which we reward the most attractive."  weak stuff at the end of the day.

Yep.

And I think maybe the broader theme of self-actualization, which really gained traction in the 60s and 70s, is probably a better explanation for neoliberalism (one of the negative effects of that theme) and an interest in personal health and fitness (one of the more positive aspects, but not as widespread or consequential).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:
37 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:
I cannot tell you how many times I have had to explain that neoliberalism IS NOT "liberal" and is in fact usually used to connote the opposite.  

I'll admit I had to Google it.

likewise.

it's so fucking new that it's the anti liberalism. so does that make  neoconservatism (is that a thing) the new liberalism?

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

likewise.

it's so fucking new that it's the anti liberalism. so does that make  neoconservatism (is that a thing) the new liberalism?

It means you're not the target audience - which is mostly the dirtbag left and the other left groups that think in purely economic terms.  

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

likewise.

Neocons remain neocons. Hawkish. Fiercely pro-Israel. Think Paul Wolfowitz and Dick “Dead-Eye” Cheney. 

Neoliberal is our economic policy since the late 70’s  Think Thatcher, Reagan and Clinton  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Shit I thought I was working out to get better at sports....I'm so confused now.

You are a a slave to the market society. You work out to get better at sports to improve your position and status in a capitalist society which only rewards work for the sake of greed.

Damn, I think I got the hang of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

You are a a slave to the market society. You work out to get better at sports to improve your position and status in a capitalist society which only rewards work for the sake of greed.

Damn, I think I got the hang of it.

Damn, and here I thought I was helping my team win....

On 3/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, phdhorn said:

You would not believe the utter diarrhea that grad students (and tenured faculty for that matter) in Anthropology, History, English, and [__________'s Studies] put out.  I would almost bet my entire investment savings, that somewhere in some dark, untrodden corner of some library (or never-reachable directory in some storage computer) that someone actually wrote an entire article or thesis on what you said here, without question.  I could almost guarantee it.  And I'm serious.  No question in my mind that someone actually believes this (or at least is decent enough to bullshit about it but not believe it in order to please the prof).

I myself had to write some of this shit just to see if I could do it (and placate the radical mentor leading my grad class).  It's almost literally "what's the most idiotic, far-fetched thing I could ever imagine, the most preposterous what-if I'm capable of connecting?"  And wrote a paper on it.

One of my beauts is that Charles Ives's music was tacitly a signal to males to rape women.  And I got an A on it.  I shit you not.  Laughed all the way to the trash bin.

So basically you’re saying the Ivory Tower is really a 2-story outhouse?

I suspected as much by the fourth semester of my freshman year in 1964.

Edited by Armybrat