Eddie Reese retiring

TonyTexas

AHHHH!Β  So sorry to see him go, but what a way for him to go out.Β  Legend, G.O.A.T., the Best......none of these begin to describe Coach Eddie Reese.Β  National Titles in 5 different decades, and in those decades in which he coached 3+ seasons, he never won fewer than 3 national titles in that decade (3 in the 80's, 3 in the 90's, 3 in the 00's, and 5 in the 2010's).Β  Did it all well above board, more academic All-Americans than I canΒ count.Β  Few dozen Olympians.Β  No scandals, no doping, nothing but Burnt Orange Pride and Excellence that will never again be matched on the 40 Acres.Β  And oh yeah, one of the nicest people to ever step onto our campus.Β Β 

What a run, what a life, what a man.Β  Congrats Coach Reese.Β  I know you didn't set out to it...but you have literally ensured that no other Longhorn Coach can ever be as great as you.Β  And that's okay with all of us.Β Β 

Edited by Lobo

55 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Welp there is a s&dΒ coaching search for the first time in a while. Think any candidates will be interested?

Β 

47 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Urban Meyer or bust

Hell yeah. I'm up for another coaching search thread. I'm sure it'll be right up there with the UM thread.

I'll get it started ...

1080full-helga-lovekaty.jpg

Β 

P.S. HookEm Eddie. GOAT.Β 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is there a decently tenured assistant that can just take the job, or will we be asking the Auburn and cal coaches if they are interested?

This quote seems to support going the assistant route. Doesn’t have to be aΒ current assistant but some who has worked with him.Β 
I am going to be a coach emeritus. That means I can still help and I want to do that. It's important for all of us. Working with swimmers has been one of the true joys of my life, and I definitely want to keep doing that," Reese said. "In my long life, I've discovered that the most important thing for us to do in this world is help others, whether it be for something simple or complex. Coaching allows me to do that."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Welp there is a s&dΒ coaching search for the first time in a while. Think any candidates will be interested?

It's not a big deal, we just hire whomever was our #2 choice was when he we hired Eddie.Β  I'm sure that person will be pleased to finally get the call from Texas.Β Β 

But yeah, Nesty is just in his third season as a head coach, but at only 48...we could easily have our next head coach for 20+ years and be done with searches for a long while.Β  David Durden at Cal is the second best coach, by national results, after Reese but he might be content to stay at Cal and see if he can't usurp Eddie's spotlight and maintain it on himself and his program for the next 20 years (he's also just in his late 40's). I've been impressed with what Albiero has done at Louisville in the last few years.Β  Coach has olympic experience, great recruiter to a program that's not as elite as the others we're discussing but has done tremendously well (also in his late 40's).Β  And then there's Taylor, the 'young' one, from Auburn.

Here's hoping CDC can stick the landing on men's basketball, men's swimming, and probably soccer.Β Β 

But once again, all the thanks and best wishes to Coach Reese.Β  It's gonna take years for him to accept all the awards, halls of honor, and gratitude of the entire Longhorn Nation and every competitive swimming organization on the face of the Earth.Β Β 

Edited by Lobo

I would assume so.Β  Was just going through my mental list of big names for shits 'n giggles.Β  This is Eddie's ship, he can turn the watch over to whomever he wants.Β  If anybody's earned it, it's him.Β Β 

6 hours ago, Xian said:

Its an interesting experiment. I mean, how do you possibly fill these shoes?

You can't. Accept it, be glad of the legend we had, and move on.

Reese might very well be the greatest coach in all of college sports. And you can argue he's in the running for greatest coach, in any sport, at any level, of all time. In fact, it's not all that hard to argue that.

What's hard to argue is who would even be in the running for that honor with him.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Reese might very well be the greatest coach in all of college sports.

Hands down and it's not even a question on this one.Β  Easily top 5 in all sports in history.Β  Β  They really should name the natatorium after him but I bet he would refuse the honor.Β 

On 3/30/2021 at 3:57 PM, midtown said:

Hands down and it's not even a question on this one.Β  Easily top 5 in all sports in history.Β  Β  They really should name the natatorium after him but I bet he would refuse the honor.Β 

It's currently the Lee and Joe Jamail Swim Center.Β  Maybe they name the pool after him.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Lobo

Great news.Β  I thought it was awkwardly quiet on the new coach front considering most swimmers report back to campus in a matter of weeks.Β Β 

I guess he realized there's one more thing to check off his bucket list.Β  Win not only national championships in 5 different decades, but win multiple national championships in 5 different decades.Β 

3 in the 1980's

3 in the 1990's

3 in the 2000's

5 in the 2010's

1 and counting in the 2020'sΒ 

I'm gonna go out on a big limb here and predict that Eddie and 'Horns win their 43 straight conference title as well.Β Β 

1 hour ago, Orale said:

I wonder where he ranks in all NCAA sports for number of championships? I'm sure there's someone who's won 20 quidditch championships or something like that out there.

Running coaches dominate because they can can get several every year (indoor track & field, outdoor track & field, cross-country - some for both men and women).Β  Otherwise, Reese is pretty high on the list.

This list from a couple years ago gives a picture at the D1 level.

Β