2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

Let's see what Correa does in a contract year. We can figure everything else out after we win another title this year.

The pressure is on more than ever for the rest of the lineup to hit consistently in the first half of the season. The team has to rack up wins in the first few months because Click can't be in the position of rolling the dice on keeping Correa at the trade deadline for a middle of the pack team. There has to be some clarity about our post season odds at that point because we can't let Correa walk in FA without getting something in return.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The Mets are idiots for giving a HOF contract to a very good player. I'm sure Daniela is going to be looking for something similar, so Correa better stay healthy this year.

I think you're underselling Lindor a bit. He appears to be on a HOF course. He's averaged about 6 fWAR / 150 games played. Through his age-26 season, he has a healthy lead over guys like Jeter and Larkin in fWAR, and he is among the best defensive players in baseball. 

10 yr / $341mm is a lot of risk - no argument there. But disagree that Lindor doesn't seem like a HOFer at this point. 

Anyway, Correa won't get anything close to that, and it wouldn't have taken that much to sign him. But the Astros don't appear willing to do the 10-year deal thing.

CC has probably cost himself a lot of money with all the injuries he's compiled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Crane/Luhnow extended some core pieces while also trading for two of the most expensive arms in baseball, and extended one of them. 

Crane’s willingness to spend is not the issue. However, I don’t think he will spend without a really solid plan behind it.  I’m not sure Click has that plan.  

This this this this exactly this. 
that’s what I blame click for and what I’m saying- I don’t think he came at this from a perspective of “I’m going to bring a solid plan to the boss to make this happen. If he had I don’t see this non-deal going down the way it didn’t. 

33 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Looking forward to Gerrit Cole and Charlie Morton starting the first two games of this season, as it has been explained to me that Luhnow was never cheap so surely that means they re-signed with us.

Wulaw, man, you’re smarter than this. You’re entire paragraph begins with the assumption that Click sucks and then crafts a narrative to match. You don’t offer that insulting amount to Correa AND THEN NOT BUDGE unless you have been given explicit direction on how much the owner is willing to pay. Every person who covers the Astros has agreed that this is a Crane call, not Click. The idea that Jim Crane is willing to break the bank for Carlos but Click is the one standing in the way may be one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen written in this forum.

Edited to add: it sounds like I’m a huge Click homer, I assure you I’m not. The jury is still out to me. But not signing Springer or Correa to what would amount to the largest contracts in team history is not some evidence that he can’t do his job.

@Guadaloopy said it really really well on the post right below this. He hit the bullseye on what my strong suspicion is. Cole wasn’t interested in re-signing him. Not re-signing him wasn’t a cheap move in the way this was. 
bottom line- lunow extended Altuve twice- he extended Bregman, he aggressively went after Bradley early in the FA period- paid significant money for Reddick early, and traded for 3 different aces extending the only one he actually had a chance to. 
we didn’t lose a single player with talent off the team that gave us a chance to extend them under Lunow. Charlie Morton wasn’t shown the door over monetary concerns, it was health and durability concerns that caused us to move on from him.

Like I said- I could be completely wrong, but Guadaloopy nailed it imo. 

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I think you're underselling Lindor a bit. He appears to be on a HOF course. He's averaged about 6 fWAR / 150 games played. Through his age-26 season, he has a healthy lead over guys like Jeter and Larkin in fWAR, and he is among the best defensive players in baseball. 

10 yr / $341mm is a lot of risk - no argument there. But disagree that Lindor doesn't seem like a HOFer at this point. 

Anyway, Correa won't get anything close to that, and it wouldn't have taken that much to sign him. But the Astros don't appear willing to do the 10-year deal thing.

CC has probably cost himself a lot of money with all the injuries he's compiled. 

Yeah- I agree with you completely. Lindor is awesome and absolutely on a HOF trajectory. Any contract that big has a ton of risk with it, but that dude is at the tip top of the list of guys I’d absolutely back up the Brinks truck for. He’s a stud. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

altuve isnt a lead off hitter 

This is my concern as well. Want to see Tucker end up there I think- if he has a solid first month. 
Against RHP: Tucker, Bregman, Yordan, Correa, Brantley, Altuve, Gurriel, Castro, Straw. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, there's nothing crazy about the Lindor contract.  He's a top 10 player who's 27 and he's been durable.  Looking at the three years before last year and it averages out to about .280, 35 HR, 42 2B, and 20 SB.

At the most important (other than catcher) defensive position- where he’s really good at said defense. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

At the most important (other than catcher) defensive position- where he’s really good at said defense. 

Right.

The bitch of it is that I think Carlos could duplicate that three-year offensive run from Lindor, minus the steals, and maybe with more homers, if he could ever stay healthy.  And he can roughly duplicate the defense, too.

Somebody speculated upthread that Carlos' injuries have cost him a lot of money.  I'd guess it's about $100 million on his next contract.

[mention=1370]Guadaloopy[/mention] said it really really well on the post right below this. He hit the bullseye on what my strong suspicion is. Cole wasn’t interested in re-signing him. Not re-signing him wasn’t a cheap move in the way this was. 
bottom line- lunow extended Altuve twice- he extended Bregman, he aggressively went after Bradley early in the FA period- paid significant money for Reddick early, and traded for 3 different aces extending the only one he actually had a chance to. 
we didn’t lose a single player with talent off the team that gave us a chance to extend them under Lunow. Charlie Morton wasn’t shown the door over monetary concerns, it was health and durability concerns that caused us to move on from him.
Like I said- I could be completely wrong, but Guadaloopy nailed it imo. 

Rereading my post, I was too harsh (pregame jitters?)

Yeah, there’s some behind the scenes stuff we’ll never know and bottom line it’s a bummer that this appears to be our last season with Correa. Given our current farm system, Click needs to get to work prepping for the future.

That being said, I’m so excited to watch real baseball again. Hell of a battle there by Greinke.

If you think Correa is a 4 win player but Jeremy Pena (or Abraham Toro, or Freudis Nova) is a 2 win player, you can buy more than 2 wins for the $30M/yr difference between what those guys will make over the next 6-7 years.

Correa is a star with superstar potential.  He is expecting to be paid like a superstar with hall of fame potential.  The Astros are smart not to pay him $200M+.