2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:
I saw maybe this week for Odorizzi. What’s the timeline on Framber? 

No timeline. All they’ve said is that he’s healing well. They did put him on the 10 day IL instead of the 60. IDK if that really means anything since they don’t need the room on the 40 man. 

It doesn’t. No way he’s back before June 1. They just didn’t need to do that so they didn’t. My personal timeline is I hope he starts throwing simulated innings and minor league starts sometime by mid to late May. Then 6 weeks to ramp it up and maybe hope for July 1. 

Great rant but you could also add mlb covering up thier 2 big market teams getting busted for doing the same thing for a longer period of time, all the while a judge refuses to open up documents. Lastly how mlb gave those 2 teams a slap on the wrist and never fully investigated them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 6

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31198046/2021-mlb-season-survey-surprise-disappoint-scouts-gms-players-weigh-in

these ducking pricks just killed the astros. Nothing positive. 2nd likeliest team to flop. Have us trading Greinke and Correa. 

how about we go ahead and fuck them up and make them eat a big old shit burger? 

4 hours ago, runthebone said:

Greinke turned and watched the Trout home run.  I'm sure he was curious, plus he was probably thinking to himself that he could hit one that far.  It obviously didn't bother him after.

It's like Zonk said the other day during the Horns broadcast ... sometimes you watch 'em leave 'cause you just wanna enjoy the show like everyone else.

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Great rant but you could also add mlb covering up thier 2 big market teams getting busted for doing the same thing for a longer period of time, all the while a judge refuses to open up documents. Lastly how mlb gave those 2 teams a slap on the wrist and never fully investigated them.

This x eleventy bazillion.

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I don't follow this thread too much, and I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but I'm surprised at the 2021 coverage of "boo the Astros."  I mean, we seemed to move right on past all the roided-up A's and Yankee teams that won titles.  Barry Bonds and all his * records.  The ridiculously uneven $$$$$$ playing field for two or three decades, where clubs with the biggest payrolls are de facto all-star teams from siphoning up the best free agents year after year.  And not once in the coverage of a pennant game do the announcers say, "Here we are once again where the big spenders are in an LCS!"

And yet all the sports writers can't even do a fucking 2021 REGULAR SEASON GAME RECAP article without indignantly dwelling on the unfairness 4-year old sign stealing caper from a club that has turned over probably more than half the roster since then?  And the Astros are the 2021 poster children of cheating?  

GTFO.  

Might have to go buy an Astros cap... because fuck that.

Yeah, this shit is like a Baseball IQ test. If you're bitching about what the Astros did, you don't know fucking shit about the game or its history, and should feel bad about yourself for being such an ignorant dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31198046/2021-mlb-season-survey-surprise-disappoint-scouts-gms-players-weigh-in

these ducking pricks just killed the astros. Nothing positive. 2nd likeliest team to flop. Have us trading Greinke and Correa. 

image.gif.d58d0dda76ffa9d0e8dd497028d09b30.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not to mention the outrage is such fucking bullshit.  Nobody fucking cares about any of this shit, they just finally have a reason to boo the team that has kicked their ass for the last half decade.

Every fanbase wanted their team to sign Springer.  Every fanbase will want their team to sign Correa.  Every fanbase with a managerial opening wanted Hinch.  The Red Sox couldn't bring back Cora fast enough.  Marwin Gonzalez, despite statistically being the worst abuser of the trash can system resulting in a career year and a $21MM contract, is never booed.  Michael Brantley, who WASN'T EVEN ON OUR FUCKING TEAM, gets cheers when he's hit by a pitch.  It's all performative outrage and it's a goddamn joke.

I've always said if anyone actually cared about the integrity of baseball, if anyone actually wanted to get the truth on what was going down in the league, then Cameron Maybin would be a much larger name in this whole thing.  One of the most respected "good guys" in the sport gets traded to the Astros mid-season 2017, and you can hear bangs during his ABs by his second game with the team.  If what the Astros was doing was as out of bounds as everyone wants us to believe, there's no way in hell you get a guy like Maybin to partake almost immediately.  It just doesn't check out, yet nobody that I've heard has ever even brought his name up (and I'm sure he gets cheers during his ABs because nobody really cares about what you did once you leave Houston).

It's all fucking bullshit and I'm ready to fuck shit up this year.

You obviously know a lot more about the details than I do.  

I'm just surprised and annoyed by the LAZY journalism that can't write a fucking GAME SUMMARY six games into 2021 without three or four references to a four-years-ago scandal that involved a lot of teams, and had nothing to do with more than half the roster.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

You obviously know a lot more about the details than I do.  

I'm just surprised and annoyed by the LAZY journalism that can't write a fucking GAME SUMMARY six games into 2021 without three or four references to a four-years-ago scandal that involved a lot of teams, and had nothing to do with more than half the roster.

6 people still on the roster from 2017. 
4 infielders, Lance McCullers Jr and Verlander. Obviously Verlander isn’t pitching right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If what the Astros was doing was as out of bounds as everyone wants us to believe, there's no way in hell you get a guy like Maybin to partake almost immediately.  It just doesn't check out, yet nobody that I've heard has ever even brought his name up (and I'm sure he gets cheers during his ABs because nobody really cares about what you did once you leave Houston).

This is a great point I'd never thought of. 

The whole thing is obviously a huge load of shit that was widespread across baseball and deciphering other team's signs was just another form of organizational competition, as evidenced by Beltran's remark to his teammates upon joining the Astros in 2017 that their sign stealing was "behind the times." 

That widely-ignored detail reported by the same Athletic reporters who broke the story is the one detail that probably pisses me off the most because it illustrates the scope of the practice across MLB. Carlos Beltran was a popular veteran player and a respected leader in every clubhouse he played in and likely knew about everything going on across the league. There's no plausible scenario in which the Astros just broke the mold in perfecting the art of cheating. They didn't perfect it, they bastardized it because they were so obvious about it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Goddammit I thought I took care of this on the very first post of this thread. It wasn’t a suggestion. 

41 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This is a great point I'd never thought of. 

The whole thing is obviously a huge load of shit that was widespread across baseball and deciphering other team's signs was just another form of organizational competition, as evidenced by Beltran's remark to his teammates upon joining the Astros in 2017 that their sign stealing was "behind the times." 

That widely-ignored detail reported by the same Athletic reporters who broke the story is the one detail that probably pisses me off the most because it illustrates the scope of the practice across MLB. Carlos Beltran was a popular veteran player and a respected leader in every clubhouse he played in and likely knew about everything going on across the league. There's no plausible scenario in which the Astros just broke the mold in perfecting the art of cheating. They didn't perfect it, they bastardized it because they were so obvious about it.

Which is the most interesting part of this story. For all intents and purposes there are 2 people that have been completely run out of baseball because of the scandal. Luhnow and Beltran.

Also happy the A's got their 1st win today in extras against the Dodgers. Now we can sweep them with impunity.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Which is the most interesting part of this story. For all intents and purposes there are 2 people that have been completely run out of baseball because of the scandal. Luhnow and Beltran.

Also happy the A's got their 1st win today in extras against the Dodgers. Now we can sweep them with impunity.

Luhnow & Tavo Hellmund (COTA founder) started a SPAC to invest in sports businesses. Seems like they have some good people on board. R.C Buford, etc.

https://www.sportico.com/business/finance/2021/jeff-luhnow-tavo-hellmund-sports-spac-1234621548/

It is the most egregious example of contrived, disingenuous, concentrated outrage I've witnessed in the sport. 

As others have said, are people pissed about the famous '51 Giants? Or the '61 Reds? This shit is not new, and nobody has ever seemed to care nearly this much about any of these other incidents. 

But the most maddening thing about it is that there is no evidence at all that any of it made any difference whatsoever. There is compelling evidence that it didn't improve performance at all:

2017-18 Home: .264/.334/.438; 115 wRC+

2017-18 Away: .273/.341/.465; 116 wRC+

Over the two years, they were exactly as productive with the sign-stealing as they were without it. You'd think that would pretty much extinguish the outrage and the pearl-clutching. Which is why it is so obviously disingenuous. 

And I mean, fuck...the main "Jomboy" video that broke down the entire trashcan-banging shenanigans was an Evan Gattis AB that resulted in...a fucking strikeout

It is absurd and sensational and the fan "backlash" and booing has become a caricature of itself as just a thing to do at the park. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

what time do the gates open up ?
my dad wanted to hit the Astros store 
5pm. Nobody allowed behind dugouts or baselines before game. They getting to strict. Lilshep will have to go to outfield to trh for bp baseballs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk