2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

29 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Pretty sad list. 

It is, but the org has produced Alvarez, Tucker, Urquidy, Framber, Javier, et al the last couple of years, so at least there is some promising young talent on the roster for the next few years to go along with Bregman, Altuve, McCullers. That should be a solid core to work with. 

Pena getting a 50 FV projection is nice...it seems more clear by the day that Correa is gone after the season and that Pena is (possibly) the SS starting next season (unless he's awful in the minors this year). I'd be happy if he becomes an average MLB starter at SS, decent hitter and good glove. 

Leon with an ETA of 2025 seems off...he's about 23 now, not sure how he's 4 years away, given his tools, athleticism, etc. I get that he has adjustments ahead, etc, but 4 years seems like a lot. 

But yeah, with prospects it's always a numbers game...some will make it, some won't, the more good ones you have the better your odds. So a lot of hope rides on Pena and Lee to become something like average regulars, and then Leon in the next couple of seasons. And hopefully guys like Abreu, Solis, Garcia can at least bolster the pen sorta soon (would be nice if one or two could become viable starters). 

Losing the '20 and '21 draft picks will obviously hurt. Click et al have their work cut out for them to rebuild the farm system. 

15 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Hinch is going to be successful in Detroit. They got themselves the best manager in the business 

Now that the Astros didn't hire Hirch, I'm thinking he needs a longer ban from MLB. I don't want the Tigers to get good...

The prospect ranking thing is a bit overblown in a lot of ways, bc they focus their attention on top end twenty and ceiling. You can win a title with 5 stars, and with a 200 million payroll you can get those guys in FA. You don’t need to pay 40 million for Trout or Betts if you can get Springers for 25 million, and you seemingly can get guys like that most years. 
So- if your system can churn out 4 or 5 guys that are solid #3’s and a reasonable bullpen pieces, and 3 or 4 league average regulars you can buy 2 hammers on the open market and 3 middle of the order studs at a cost of 125 or 140 million. As long as the other guys you promote are average you can win it all with that kind of roster- your big guys just have to produce and your low money guys have to be league average. We saw that with Washington, Boston a couple times, the Giants 3 times, the diamondbacks etc. 

What you can’t have is stars and scrubs like the angels when you fail to develop. Develop even one star for cheap and it gives you an advantage. As long as we can churn out the Abreu/Uriquidy/Valdez types (one or 2 a year) we should be ok, and I don’t think the prospect rankings do a good job on development types with those guys. Then, get lucky every 3 or 4 years with a Yordon type star and you can have enough tip end talent bought on the FA market to give you a chance. 
can/will we do that going forward?  I don’t know. We will see.