2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

18 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Its not like we got a pen full of mariano riveras out there. Dusty can only use what is provided. Blame Clicks dumbass for signing Pedro Baez to a retarded ass deal and uhhh Stanek for the pen.

Dusty even said himself yesterday he is trying to find a spot for Smith to get in to build confidence.....todays spot was when we were down 3 so it really didn't matter and he still sucked. The spots where he can come in are getting smaller and smaller so its about time to just send him on his way. Problem is we still don't have shit to replace these guys with.

Need James, Scrubb, and Baez to get healthy. All 3 should be on the team in May.

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

What does this even mean?

this ain’t ‘Nam.

there are rules... aren’t there?

or is the rule: “29 teams are held to one set of rules and the Astros are held to whatever someone at MLB feels like on that given day”?

but seriously, how hard is it to explain what’s going on and/or apply a consistent set of rules?

can we also vaccine-shame whoever/however this started into getting the damn shot?

these guys go on the covid list two weeks after they had the opportunity to get the vaccine (a vaccine that’s 80% effective at the 2 week mark)?  Good decision to skip that shot, guys.

(yes, completely jumping to conclusions but something definitely doesn’t smell right/isn’t adding up.... including our win total)

There were actual posters here(and our clueless GM apparently) who thought Straw would be OK as an every day player.  Anyone with half a brain could tell that dude is only good for the role he was previously (and should have stayed) in.  Come in and pinch run for someone and steal a bag.  

Another fuck up by Click for not  getting an OF in the offseason, but this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone who pays attention.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not impressed with Click, but I'm not at the point yet where I believe he thought Straw could play center field.  It was obvious he was going to suck at it to anyone who watched him try to play it last season.  I think it's all coming down from Crane.  He doesn't really care about winning anymore.  MLB shits all over the Astros at every opportunity and he silently takes it.  I think we are headed to a minimal payroll while Crane sits back and starts collecting revenue sharing checks.

Edited by kevwun

yeah the same shit was said about Crane when he took over the team and he went out and increased payroll and won the WS.  I don't buy that he won't spend.  Shit he just had his GM sign a headcase #3/4 pitcher to an 85 mil dollar deal.  

Edited by Scraps

We'll revisit that when Correa walks in the offseason.  The payroll for the active roster is already down to 15th this season.  It might be in the 20's next year when Greinke and Correa aren't on the team anymore.

Edited by kevwun

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We'll revisit that when Correa walks in the offseason.  The payroll for the active roster is already down to 15th this season.  It might be in the 20's next year when Greinke and Correa aren't on the team anymore.

yeah way to get "active" in there.  We are 3rd in total payroll 

Dead money doesn't help them win games though and it was all committed to before the scandal.  I don't think you can plan on Crane doing anything in the future because of what he did in the past.  I think the scandal completely changed his outlook for owning the Astros.  The 3 year LMJ deal is the longest they've given out since then.  He hasn't made a long term commitment with a core player since Luhnow left.  Each time a good player leaves, they are replaced with a lesser one.  I hope to God I am wrong about this, but I don't think I am.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

I love Springer but I don’t think I would have matched the Blue Jays contract.

Same with Cole, at least at the time.  

Who else are you upset about leaving?  You mean the team is supposed to have ready replacements available for someone in the conversation for the best right hander playing and best CF?  Of course next man up is a down-grade-you have to find improvements at other positions (Click’s failure in this area is troubling but that wasn’t your complaint).  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He hasn't made a long term commitment with a core player since Luhnow left.  

huh...maybe that is the GMs fault then if you are insinuating things wouldn't be the same if we still had Luhnow......which circles around to the exact point I was making.....Click sucks.

I also hope I am wrong about this, but I don't think I am 

10 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I love Springer but I don’t think I would have matched the Blue Jays contract.

Same with Cole, at least at the time.  

Who else are you upset about leaving?  You mean the team is supposed to have ready replacements available for someone in the conversation for the best right hander playing and best CF?  Of course next man up is a down-grade-you have to find improvements at other positions (Click’s failure in this area is troubling but that wasn’t your complaint).  

I'm realistic about replacing players like Cole, JV and Springer.  You aren't going to get someone at that level unless you're the Yankees or Dodgers.  The problem is that they didn't even try.  We lost 2 aces from the rotation.  They didn't even make an effort there.  We lost a good defensive center fielder who also hit well.  They replaced him with a guy who isn't capable of playing even an average center field who also doesn't hit enough to be an everyday player.  You can lose a great player and replace him with a good or even a solid one.  You can't keep losing great ones and replacing them with someone who makes things even worse by being below average.

Crane spends strategically. He is never going to to be constantly at the top of the payroll lists ala the Dodgers and Yankees. He thinks in cycles and sees somewhat of a downturn and will act accordingly. Not drastically like 2012-14, but somewhere in between where they still have somewhat of a chance The minor league system needs to be rebuilt, particularly position players, in order to have some cheap contributors and trade bait. He captained us into the golden age of Astros baseball and deserves the benefit of a doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

With MLB and Manfred the Idiot's continued NCAA level hypocrisy, I'm fine with bringing back Luhnow (not sure he'd accept any offer from us now, though.  And he did foolishly refuse to trade Whitley.  Hey, nobody's perfect...)

It's April, never get too hyped or bummed about results in April, lots and lots of teams have stunk it up the first month and then righted the ship and made the playoffs or won it all.  Click could still end up being a good gm.  But if we blow the season then I'm cool with ditching him for Luhnow.  Let's go all Al Davis on MLB.

Edited by clapclapclap
Solo gana, nena

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Astros record after the first 15 games the last five seasons:

2017 10-5

2018 10-5

2019 10-5

2020  6-9

2021   7-8

Eh… I’m not assigning too much significance yet.  We’ve been missing three of our best five hitters for the last four games - MVP, MVP runner-up, and ROY.  

Our number two starter is still out for a few more weeks.  

We’ve got three good bullpen arms coming back relatively early in the season.  

It was a crappy nine day stretch with a pretty significant disruptor thrown in mid-way through.  I’m not calling it a representative sample just yet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Eh… I’m not assigning too much significance yet.  We’ve been missing three of our best five hitters for the last four games - MVP, MVP runner-up, and ROY.  

Our number two starter is still out for a few more weeks.  

We’ve got three good bullpen arms coming back relatively early in the season.  

It was a crappy nine day stretch with a pretty significant disruptor thrown in mid-way through.  I’m not calling it a representative sample just yet.  

Exactly.  It's a small sample without about 1/3 of the guys who matter.  I think we'll be fine.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:43 AM, Scraps said:

Yeah I figured we are fucked all weekend in Seattle and that some of them would possibly meet up with the team in Denver.  Hopefully your scenario is the case and they are there tomorrow.  

Nailed it.  

Time to score 10+ runs both games 

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

So, who had dead last in the AL West after fifteen games on their bingo card?

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Basement dwellers.  
Baby Reaction GIF

Better record than the Yankees, which is equally surprising. It's a long season so not worried yet.