2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Attaboys.

I know it’s way too early, but was thinking about who is All-Star worthy this year. Honestly, any of the top 6 in our lineup plus Greinke, Javier, and Presley could make a case depending on competition, but I can’t imagine any of our guys win in the fan vote which will hurt our final number. If things continue at this pace, I think Gurriel, Brantley, and Greinke will have the best chance, but Javier would be fun too. And obviously Yordan in the derby.

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

we're the only team in the West with a positive run differential:

image.thumb.png.3ea0003ab8de17236febe0e28898e753.png

At the end of the losing streak I think it dropped to -1 or -2.  That 16-2 or whatever it was against the Angels really got us back on track.

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

Hell, we're 2nd in MLB and leading the AL again in run differential.  I think we're going to be alright.

Yeah it's a long season, 2.7 times longer than 2020 so there's still plenty of runway left to take flight but our biggest concern is still overall depth. Staying healthy is everything this year. The organization doesn't have a ton of talent waiting for the call to The Show. 

19 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Anyone going to day game tomorrow? Or have interest in 2 tickets?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m going and taking the whole family but I’m 2 tickets short. Want to do a trade maybe for a game later?  I was thinking you are part time- maybe I have a game you don’t? 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m going and taking the whole family but I’m 2 tickets short. Want to do a trade maybe for a game later?  I was thinking you are part time- maybe I have a game you don’t? 

Doing anything before?  Would be nice to associate a face with a name now that we're amigos.

Some speculation that since Dusty said “reasons” rather than “protocols” that maybe he didn’t test positive and simply is feeling side effects from his second dose, which isn’t all that uncommon. Who knows though. 

In other news, I’m very surprised the are starting Leon at SS in Corpus. If you want to fast track him to the majors why dick around with cross-training him at SS?  

14 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

In other news, I’m very surprised the are starting Leon at SS in Corpus. If you want to fast track him to the majors why dick around with cross-training him at SS?

Because we are going to need a shortstop in the near future? Center fielders are easier to come by despite our current situation. 

Edited by TonyTexas

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Because we are going to need a shortstop in the near future? Center fielders are easier to come by despite our current situation. 

I doubt they believe Leon is a viable candidate to replace Correa.  They odds of him being good enough to play SS at an MLB level (outside of an occasional spot start) within a year are remote.  There is also plenty of money to sign someone like Semien or someone even better to fill that hole. 

The Rays do stuff like this a lot because of their unforgiving budget constraints but i'm not sure of what use the strategy will have here and it could be counterproductive if it delays his entry into the majors given the lack of other internal options the Astros have for CF.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I doubt they believe Leon is a viable candidate to replace Correa.  They odds of him being good enough to play SS at an MLB level (outside of an occasional spot start) within a year are remote.  There is also plenty of money to sign someone like Semien or someone even better to fill that hole. 

The Rays do stuff like this a lot because of their unforgiving budget constraints but i'm not sure of what use the strategy will have here and it could be counterproductive if it delays his entry into the majors given the lack of other internal options the Astros have for CF.

They viewed Straw as a viable replacement for Springer.  I wouldn't make any assumptions.

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Why is Yordan on the 10 day IL and not Covid IL?

Don't know if you're watching but they just said it was the "health and protocol" list on the telecast.  He's eligible to come off as soon as tomorrow - as far as we know.  If it was a positive test it will be longer of course.

Don't know if you're watching but they just said it was the "health and protocol" list on the telecast.  He's eligible to come off as soon as tomorrow - as far as we know.  If it was a positive test it will be longer of course.
I can't find anyone reporting Alvarez to the Covid IL, they're all saying IL. McTaggart and Berman are usually pretty careful and exact with their reporting so if it were the former, one or both of them would have clarified as such. I hope I'm wrong ....