2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, Scraps said:
28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
What are the Astros options with Smith? I believe he signed a fully guaranteed2 year $8 million deal with the Astros in 2019. 
Charlie Pallilo has argued that Smith is safe because of his contract. "The Astros are paying him regardless, might as well use him."

Im ok with using him when we are down 4 runs

Agreed. Smith should be an innings eater only. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What are the Astros options with Smith? I believe he signed a fully guaranteed2 year $8 million deal with the Astros in 2019. 

Charlie Pallilo has argued that Smith is safe because of his contract. "The Astros are paying him regardless, might as well use him."

It's a sunk cost either way but the question is whether they have anyone better.  I'm not sure that they do right now.  Now when Enoli comes back and then Framber comes back, and if or when Baez might be back, then he might be in trouble. 

But if it's a question of rostering a guy with options that may not be much of an upgrade anyway, it probably doesn't make sense.  

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Im ok with using him when we are down 4 runs

and want to be down 8 runs 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

It's a sunk cost either way but the question is whether they have anyone better.  I'm not sure that they do right now.  Now when Enoli comes back and then Framber comes back, and if or when Baez might be back, then he might be in trouble. 

But if it's a question of rostering a guy with options that may not be much of an upgrade anyway, it probably doesn't make sense.  

Yeah, right now it doesn't really matter. But your points stands when the injured guys start returning Smith and Raley should be concerned.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

How has Oakland played twice as many home games as road games so far? They got something going on later in the year in Oakland.

I think it’s just the quirks of the MLB schedule and when you happened to look at the home/road standings.

they just finished their longest homestand of the year and are about to play 9 of their next 12 on the road

after that stretch, they’ll only have played 6 more home than road games.

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I know it's early and all but Pedro Leon has been struggling with his first taste of pro ball. In 5 games for the Hooks, he's 1 for 19 with 1 BB, 1 2B, and 11 K

“I’d take that line right now.”

-Correa

(his homer Friday night is his only hit this month. 1 for 27, 1 BB, 8Ks)

Edited by UTexasFight

FRAMBER VALDEZSP, HOUSTON ASTROS

Framber Valdez (finger) could throw a bullpen session in Houston this week before then being sent out on a rehab assignment.

Valdez suffered a fractured left ring finger back in early March but has been coming along nicely in his rehab. He began facing hitters earlier this month and now it appears is close to being game-ready. Valdez needs to build up some stamina, so he's not going to be activated before the end of May. An early-June season debut looks doable, though.

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Also, what the hell is up with Josh James????

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Injured Astros reliever Josh James suffered a “physical setback” while reporting to spring training, manager Dusty Baker revealed on Wednesday.

Baker did not offer any specifics about James’ setback, but said the 28-year-old reliever will be fine “in a few days.” James still must undergo COVID-19 intake testing and screening before he can join the Astros’ workouts. James, who makes his offseason home in Florida, is in West Palm Beach, according to Baker.

After undergoing offseason surgery to repair a labral tear in his left hip, James will not be ready for the start of the regular season. The Astros offered a six-to-eight month timetable for his recovery at the time of his surgery last October. Earlier this spring, Baker said James is not a candidate to go on the 60-day injured list, offering optimism the righthander could be ready by late April or early May.

JFC. Only one run out of that.  What a fucking waste. How many times has a team had the starter on the ropes in the first inning, let him of the hook, and then get nothing the rest of the night. Hope that's not the case tonight, but that may come back to bite us in the ass. 

On the radio they're talking about Pujols and mentioned he is 3rd all-time in hits against the Astros.  1st and 2nd in spoilers.  Both long-time NL west opponents as you would expect.

Spoiler

1 Rose

2 Gwynn

44 minutes ago, WBT said:

On the radio they're talking about Pujols and mentioned he is 3rd all-time in hits against the Astros.  1st and 2nd in spoilers.  Both long-time NL west opponents as you would expect.

Hide contents

1 Rose

2 Gwynn

I had totally forgotten that the Reds played in the West and moved with us to the Central in 1994. Fuck Bud!

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I had totally forgotten that the Reds played in the West and moved with us to the Central in 1994. Fuck Bud!

22 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I got #2 but both pretty easy if you remember Reds were in the West. I did not

My earliest Astros memories are mid-to-late 80s and they were tough then.  Larkin/Davis/Sabo/O'Neill and Rijo/Browning and the Nasty Boys.