2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

g5 of 2017 world series was probably the best postseason astros game ever, followed somewhere by g1 and the tuve blast from 2019.  but i'm having trouble remembering a more satisfying regular season (pre-july 15th too) game. 

this should've read g2, but you guys probably assumed that.  i'm still baseball drunk.

• Hook 'Em 1

I missed the end.  I feel shame.  Had a chance to catch Black Widow at Alamo Drafthouse before catching a flight back to San Diego tonight and took it.  Was 4-2 Jankees when I went in to the movie.  Was elated to see the score when I came out, but now I have bad Astros FOMO for the rest of the season. 

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

there's so much to unpack from today, so i'll just start listing them.

tuesday was devastating for oakland, today was twice as devastating for the yankees.  they had just started to play better.  they're in real jeopardy of not making the playoffs.

yankee twitter can't decide if the lede is "oh lookie loo, guess altuve can have his jersey ripped off now" or "fucking christ why can't we close a god damned game?"  first off, the only reason they ripped his shirt off today is to tell yankee fans (and the media) to shut the fuck up about it. 

lol at people looking at a small tattoo that looks like it's in mid-removal and say "i thought he had a tattoo but where is it?!?"  as for the closer situation, they're proper fucked.  they have one good starter and ~1-2 good bullpen pieces.  chapman is junk.  green is junk.  britton is junk and injured.  superteam my ass.  they are a long way from being a ~good baseball team.  we walked them 14x today and won.  i'd say we'll see them in oct, but maybe we'll just see them in 2022.

judge was a whiny bitch in 2017 and he was a whiny bitch yesterday, and was probably so happy he got to perform his little touchdown dance celebration that he planned ahead of time.  machete laughs at him, and altuve got the last laugh, again.

momentum is a real thing, and it would've really sucked to lose 4 in a row, get swept by the yankees, and have the only discussion for the next 4 days be about the astros who weren't in denver.  though i still haven't heard anyone say shit about mookie, who's in the midst of his hottest stretch of the year.  or any of the other opt-outs. 

and while we're on the subject, fuck the media for making it into an astros story.  trout has been out forever, acuna is now out for a year, glasnow is out, tatis keeps missing chunks of games (though is still a monster).  bregman has been out for a month.  injuries are crazy right now and i'm fine with all 25 guys sitting in a cryo-chamber until friday.

we haven't hit worth a shit since tuesday, but somehow went 3-3 this week.  felt much worse a few hours ago.

explaining to my wife the unlikelihood of today unfolding exactly the way it did was a whole separate headache.  baseball is not like other sports, where you know mj or kobe or elway or brady is going to have the ball and a chance at the end.  this could not have been professionally scripted any better from the chapman bomb, through the scandal, all the buzzer bullshit, through the past 2 games, the judge jersey pull, the nonsensical reporting by fox yesterday, to a 7-2 deficit, to altuve coming up with a chance to walk it off.  story-fucking-book-shit.

g5 of 2017 world series was probably the best postseason astros game ever, followed somewhere by g1 and the tuve blast from 2019.  but i'm having trouble remembering a more satisfying regular season (pre-july 15th too) game. 

how can you not be romantic about baseball?

spacer.png

hey let's not forget Chas's double. Or Toro's double. Or Castro's bloop single.

but most of all, let's not forget that Aaron Judge stepped into the batter's box in the top 9 with runners on first and second and no outs. he struck out. against Ralph Garza Jr.

all those little things add up to create the moment a  baseball genius like Jose Altuve again did a giant thing that the 6'7" Yankees superstar failed to do

• Like 2

I finally listened to the WFAN call on the MLB app. A little underwhelming. It’s obvious that they aren’t there and they aren’t very good at calling games remotely. Lots of dead air between pitches with ole John and Suzy. 

2 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I finally listened to the WFAN call on the MLB app. A little underwhelming. It’s obvious that they aren’t there and they aren’t very good at calling games remotely. Lots of dead air between pitches with ole John and Suzy. 

They're just terrible anyway, Sterling reminds me of Milo Hamilton in his waning years.

13 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Adam Schein  at Sirius XM Mad Dog Radio needs to get his ass dragged by Astros Twitter.

what seemingly never gets brought up is that these bozos believe two facts to be irrefutable:

-altuve was 100% wearing a buzzer

-none of his teammates knew about it

this in the wake of an "organization-wide" sign-stealing operation, but now it's just altuve, wearing a buzzer, something i've never heard any other player get accused of ever.  because if his teammates did know, or others were also wearing buzzers, then they would know not to fuck with his jersey...ever.  i mean, clearly someone else (at least one person) would have to be in on it, to locate the sign and then press whatever activated said buzzer.  i would imagine it would have to be a 2-3 man team at least, all so altuve, a 7 time all-star, batting champ, mvp, could identify an offspeed pitch.

chapman could not locate the fastball.  it was clear all inning.  his breaking ball was coming.  the whole world knew it.  but instead of going with the logical option, there has to be an unprovable mountain of conspiracy that's somehow "obvious".  in the minds of yankee fans (who seem to constantly shit on chapman anyway), he's so unhittable, that cheating must be involved for him to be bested. 

i refuse to cloak-up the baseball board, but sometimes simple explanations are simple for a reason, and people clinging to elaborate conspiracy theories need to let it go and get some sleep already.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what seemingly never gets brought up is that these bozos believe two facts to be irrefutable:

this in the wake of an "organization-wide" sign-stealing operation, but now it's just altuve, wearing a buzzer, something i've never heard any other player get accused of ever.  because if his teammates did know, or others were also wearing buzzers, then they would know not to fuck with his jersey...ever.  i mean, clearly someone else (at least one person) would have to be in on it, to locate the sign and then press whatever activated said buzzer.  i would imagine it would have to be a 2-3 man team at least, all so altuve, a 7 time all-star, batting champ, mvp, could identify an offspeed pitch.

chapman could not locate the fastball.  it was clear all inning.  his breaking ball was coming.  the whole world knew it.  but instead of going with the logical option, there has to be an unprovable mountain of conspiracy that's somehow "obvious".  in the minds of yankee fans (who seem to constantly shit on chapman anyway), he's so unhittable, that cheating must be involved for him to be bested. 

i refuse to cloak-up the baseball board, but sometimes simple explanations are simple for a reason, and people clinging to elaborate conspiracy theories need to let it go and get some sleep already.

I don't think it's conspiracy thinking, per se; more just that Yankee fans feel like they are entitled to win everything all the time, and when they don't, they get to revise reality. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I don't think it's conspiracy thinking, per se; more just that Yankee fans feel like they are entitled to win everything all the time, and when they don't, they get to revise reality. 

So, like aggy, except aggy never wins anything at all.

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

well yeah, that part is always baked in.

it all boils down to "if we lost, then something fishy must be going on".  

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

great write up on the kid, 6-4 195. the kid has tools. committed to U of Az. Hopefully we can sign him 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevada-preps/np-baseball/gorman-baseball-star-hopes-to-be-1st-round-draft-pick-2397161/

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

great write up on the kid, 6-4 195. the kid has tools. committed to U of Az. Hopefully we can sign him 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevada-preps/np-baseball/gorman-baseball-star-hopes-to-be-1st-round-draft-pick-2397161/

Got to think that they have a deal with him in place. They can't whiff on what picks they do have this year, especially since there is a Cuban civil war brewing and we over signed our International pool anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I was actually looking at him about 30 mins before our pick and hoping they would take him.  

Comps are dumb, but the one I saw was Yelich just like this article.  Hopefully this dude has a hot mom too.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Yep, and a guy called in after to make a similar point. He brought up the absurdity of the buzzer theory in practical terms and asked Schein why his teammates would ever do that since it would expose all of them. Schein just refused to answer, talked over him and then said "hey caller you're an Astros fan, did the Astros cheat?"

That's not in dispute, but guys like Schein are constantly moving the goal posts to fit a story they tell themselves to excuse their Yankees for always getting Daddy'd by Jose Altuve and the Houston Astros.

Also, Schein insisted to that called that the buzzer theory Jomboy started was based on real news and not a fake twitter account. These mfers are out there just lying and lying and slandering a great player and good dude and willfully tarnishing his biggest moments with fraudulent claims that are more damaging to Altuve than anything Altuve did to the game of baseball. 

The sweetest revenge is hopefully yet to come.