2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm good with Presley as our closer. He's been solid. Need more set up and middle relievers. I'd love to get Kimbrel, but wouldn't give too much. 

No the Astros need high leverage relievers, no matter their role. Kimbrel would be best reliever on the team, he's better than Pressly. Make them co-closers. You have to make this as dummy proof for Dusty as possible. I want another pen that can approximate Lidge, Dotel, and Wagner. 

We are close now with Graveman and Pressly, go get Kimbrel and leave no doubt.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No the Astros need high leverage relievers, no matter their role. Kimbrel would be best reliever on the team, he's better than Pressly. Make them co-closers. You have to make this as dummy proof for Dusty as possible. I want another pen that can approximate Lidge, Dotel, and Wagner. 

We are close now with Graveman and Pressly, go get Kimbrel and leave no doubt.

Yep a Graveman/Kimbrel/Pressly bullpen trio would be dominant in the postseason

26 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Even if we lose Correa and move Bregman to SS, there’s no way we would’ve been content with Toro at 3B going into 2022.

I think you are underselling Toro and aren't accounting for his relative inexperience at the ML level. I've seen him torch minor league pitching and if you look at his minor league stats you will see that he's made the necessary adjustments at every level and continued to hit. He's only 24, he's improved each year and risen to the challenge of better competition. He still only has 308 PA in the majors across three season where he's bounced up and down between Houston, Round Rock, Corpus, and Sugar Land. That's like 2/3rds of a season, and he has flashed moments that make you realize that guy can play. I'm confident he has a nice major league career ahead of him. 

It sucks they lost Toro for a rental reliever but at least it’s a good one and they dumped some salary. B- move I guess. Hopefully they use they have something special planned for that money they dumped. 
This is nothing but an A+ move given the third base and bullpen situation.

also tells me that bregs is on pace to return which is good.

montero feels like an aaron sanchez situation.  maybe you get lucky, maybe it doesn't really matter.  graveman is the piece here.  and joe smith is addition by subtraction as far as i'm concerned.

still would like another guy besides javier that can go over an inning.  i guess add garcia to that mix, and probably josh james and baez.  let's rally 10-12 arms and let them steel cage death match it out in sept for limited playoff roster spots.

59 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

In light of this trade, how much would you be willing to give up for Kimbrel?

It would need to be a top 30 prospect as the prize of the trade. Idk what Chicago is looking for but we have several middle infielders like Nova, Pena (I would hate to see him go), or Lorenzo

I think you are underselling Toro and aren't accounting for his relative inexperience at the ML level. I've seen him torch minor league pitching and if you look at his minor league stats you will see that he's made the necessary adjustments at every level and continued to hit. He's only 24, he's improved each year and risen to the challenge of better competition. He still only has 308 PA in the majors across three season where he's bounced up and down between Houston, Round Rock, Corpus, and Sugar Land. That's like 2/3rds of a season, and he has flashed moments that make you realize that guy can play. I'm confident he has a nice major league career ahead of him. 

Not meaning to sell him short, but what role do you see him playing for this team long term? He will be blocked next year by Bregman or whoever they sign once Correa walks. He’s not a stellar fielder and he’s not fast. I think he could be a perfectly fine utility bench bat for a while in this league, but I feel confident that his skillset is easily replaceable.

Don’t get me wrong, he gave us one of the most fun moments of the last few years and I enjoyed having him on our team. There’s no doubt he certainly could continue to improve and make us look silly, but for every JD Martinez there are 10 Derek Fishers.

Edited to add: I see you gave the trade an A+, so I think we’re on the same page basically. Also Kevin Goldstein has forgotten so much more about baseball than I could ever hope to know, so I’m probably dumb.

Not meaning to sell him short, but what role do you see him playing for this team long term? He will be blocked next year by Bregman or whoever they sign once Correa walks. He’s not a stellar fielder and he’s not fast. I think he could be a perfectly fine utility bench bat for a while in this league, but I feel confident that his skillset is easily replaceable.

Don’t get me wrong, he gave us one of the most fun moments of the last few years and I enjoyed having him on our team. There’s no doubt he certainly could continue to improve and make us look silly, but for every JD Martinez there are 10 Derek Fishers.

Edited to add: I see you gave the trade an A+, so I think we’re on the same page basically. Also Kevin Goldstein has forgotten so much more about baseball than I could ever hope to know, so I’m probably dumb.

And Josh Fields

(Snicker)
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not meaning to sell him short, but what role do you see him playing for this team long term? He will be blocked next year by Bregman or whoever they sign once Correa walks.

Oh I completely agree with you, which is why I love this trade for the Astros AND for Toro. 

I could see a scenario where he helps the Astros in the future at first base, but he is effectively blocked by the current starters and he deserves a chance to play every day. I just hope we win the whole fuckin thing so anything Toro does from here on can never be viewed as proof the Astros made a big mistake trading him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
31 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:
It sucks they lost Toro for a rental reliever but at least it’s a good one and they dumped some salary. B- move I guess. Hopefully they use they have something special planned for that money they dumped. 

This is nothing but an A+ move given the third base and bullpen situation.

I could easily see Toro developing at least into an average if not better 3B, and with 4 years of control, that could be quite valuable. I think in terms of value the Mariners will win this trade but Graveman should be an asset. I would have preferred Bleier but maybe Miami wanted too much. 

57 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I could easily see Toro developing at least into an average if not better 3B, and with 4 years of control, that could be quite valuable. I think in terms of value the Mariners will win this trade but Graveman should be an asset. 

You may be right about that if Graveman moves on elsewhere next year and the Astros don't win the WS. Ultimately the question of who wins this trade will be decided by whether or not the Astros win their last postseason game in 2021.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So we’re they like, hey man you’ve been traded to the team we got tonight so you and Montero are gonna go put on Houston stuff and they’re gonna send Toro over to our dugout and we’ve got him some shit to put on for tonight.  

"listen, i don't want him pitching against me tonight.  tell him to change his clothes and send him over." /moneyball

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You may be right about that if Graveman moves on elsewhere next year and the Astros don't win the WS. Ultimately the question of who wins this trade will be decided by whether or not the Astros win their last postseason game in 2021.

disagree. 

i don't care whether we "win" the trade, as long as we have an org that will make moves every year we have a shot to get deep into the playoffs.  the rest is luck and timing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

disagree. 

i don't care whether we "win" the trade, as long as we have an org that will make moves every year we have a shot to get deep into the playoffs.  the rest is luck and timing.

I hear what you're saying about the bigger picture relevance of "winning" that trade but the reality is that *IF* Toro becomes a player and *IF* Graveman proves to be a 2021 rental, it could be a trade that we look back on and regret. The odds say otherwise, and I am pumped about this trade, but I still think back to that terrible Gomez/Fiers for Hader trade and gnash my teeth over it. 

Just win the whole fucking thing and none of it matters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1