2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

13 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I hear what you're saying about the bigger picture relevance of "winning" that trade but the reality is that *IF* Toro becomes a player and *IF* Graveman proves to be a 2021 rental, it could be a trade that we look back on and regret. The odds say otherwise, and I am pumped about this trade, but I still think back to that terrible Gomez/Fiers for Hader trade and gnash my teeth over it. 

Just win the whole fucking thing and none of it matters.

i hear ya.  for years it was gnashing over halama, garcia, guillen.  when we went and got gomez, i was worried about domingo santana, not hader.  you just never fucking know.  i'm still convinced that jdm was never going to be a star in houston, but who knows.  he was also on other teams in between us and helping someone win big games, nobody seems to mention that. 

as long as we steal a yordan on occasion, make all the deals, even the rentals.

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

for years it was gnashing over halama, garcia, guillen.

that's an interesting point because I've always viewed that trade as a win for the Stros even though we didn't win the WS. That was a unicorn trade. Randy Johnson was so completely dominant in that second half and that team was so fucking good that I still don't care what those guys did the rest of their careers. That was a fun season and I think the Astros would've won a seven game series vs the Padres.

Fucking Kevin Brown.....

6 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

have watched Toro for a few years now and I don’t see it.

You've watched Toro play in 25, 33, and 35 games total and it's highly unlikely you've actually watched him play every one of those games. 

Do you realize how miniscule a sample size that is for judging a major leaguer? Do you remember how long it took Bregman to figure it out?

You've watched Toro play in 25, 33, and 35 games total and it's highly unlikely you've actually watched him play every one of those games. 
Do you realize how miniscule a sample size that is for judging a major leaguer? Do you remember how long it took Bregman to figure it out?

Sure I remember. Bregman was also a 1-2 pick, was far more productive in a the minors, and ended up hitting 264 in 49 games even after his awful start. So Toro is hitting 193 over 93 games. I have watched most of those games but I agree it is a small sample size. It is possible he develops into a legitimate player, but it my untrained eye, I don’t see it. I am also confident that he has a noodle arm and is a below average fielding 3rd baseman after watching him play a number of games.