2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Been meaning to ask this but haven't had the opportunity... say we didn't score in the top of the inning, has conventional baseball wisdom realized yet that the first batter in the bottom of the inning should be intentionally walked 100% of the time?

no

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Been meaning to ask this but haven't had the opportunity... say we didn't score in the top of the inning, has conventional baseball wisdom realized yet that the first batter in the bottom of the inning should be intentionally walked 100% of the time?

i like this logic, set up the dp 

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

i had no idea Ervin Santana was still in MLB

i was either watching a game or listening to a fantasy baseball podcast or something, and they were throwing around some trivia, and the question was which active pitcher leads for shutouts for his career.  and it was a little tricky because "active" did not include injured people (kershaw, verlander, etc).  long story short, they guessed a million pitchers and it turns out it was big erv, with like 11 shutouts.

Btw have any of the "I Hate Dusty Baker" crowd given him at least some grudging respect for sticking with Phil Maton in the bottom of the seventh in a tie game? He issued a two-out walk and had thrown something like six consecutive balls after setting down all five previous batters. Up to bat steps the lefty Ryan O'Hearn with a rested and ready Brooks Raley (whom you all want to expel to Oklahoma for eternity) and his .200 BAA/.586 OPS vs lefties, and Dusty left him standing there with his dick in his hand while he let Maton work that final out of the inning. 

Edited by Gourmand

That video and the responses in this thread just solidify a personal belief I have about the root criticisms of Baker: ageism. 

Can everyone be better than that? There was a time years ago when Baker was roundly mocked for being old-school with regards to analytics and shit and he's been anything but old school with that stuff nowadays. Most of his decisions that are second-guessed have a solid basis in the stats and/or are completely consistent with the front office philosophy. Dusty isn't doing anything that Click doesn't want him to do imo. 

Also I think it's illogical to think that Dusty Baker is the difference-maker between the Astros winning the World Series or not this year. They have one of the best offenses in baseball despite the recent slump, they have a good balance of playoff-experienced veterans with some heralded rookies, they have a solid bullpen and good starting pitching. We lack a true shutdown ace but any of LMJ/Greinke/Framber/Urquidy could deliver 6-7 shutout innings in a big playoff game. Dusty Baker isn't determinative to whether the Astros win the World Series this year, and his experience as a playoff manager ( i know I know) can't hurt. And hell, maybe he's the manager who doesn't pull Greinke in a game 7?

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
i don’t undertake of the criticisms either. He got to the ALCS last year and is in first place with 5th best record in MLB this year. 

There is also a reason why he's never won a WS title, despite coaching some of the most talented players and teams in baseball.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

There is also a reason why he's never won a WS title, despite coaching some of the most talented players and teams in baseball.

Is there though? The Giants lost the 2002 World Series to a 99-win Anaheim team in seven games. Does that one game result define Dusty Baker's career, let alone the chances of the 2021 Houston Astros? Is Dave Martinez a better manager because of Howie Kendrick's luck bomb after everyone's favorite manager pulled Zack Greinke?

He's done a pretty good job overall and if you buy into the idea that managers are super important and affect winning in the postseason, then you have to give him credit for the 2020 Astros winning two playoff series, kicking the shit out of Minny and Oakland, and being five wins shy of a second World Series title. 

Let’s argue about Baker after the season, he’s not going anywhere until then. He’s done a great job patching a roster together so far. We need Bregman back and yuli / correa / Altuve need to wake up. We added some damn good bp pieces

get healthy and make a run

I get the feeling that the clubhouse and crane are solidly behind him. Espada is the next hc, hopefully no one snipes him 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Let’s argue about Baker after the season, he’s not going anywhere until then. He’s done a great job patching a roster together so far. We need Bregman back and yuli / correa / Altuve need to wake up. We added some damn good bp pieces
get healthy and make a run

I get the feeling that the clubhouse and crane are solidly behind him. Espada is the next hc, hopefully no one snipes him 
+1 on Espada

The next 12 games look like this:

Seattle x 3

KC x 3

@Arlington x 3

@Seattle x 3

Can the Astros go 9-3 or better? They're 6-4 on thee season so far vs Seattle and 9-3 vs Texas. And we know what just happened vs KC.....

This is no time to be dicking around, the good guys need to get some distance between themselves and the A's and this is the chance to do it. 

Edited by Gourmand

51 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Seattle x 3

KC x 3

@Arlington x 3

@Seattle x 3

Can the Astros go 9-3 or better? They're 6-4 on thee season so far vs Seattle and 9-3 vs Texas. And we know what just happened vs KC.....

This is no time to be dicking around, the good guys need to get some distance between themselves and the A's and this is the chance to do it. 

Have to predict 3 losses against KC.  Tough to beat a team with Nicky Lopez, aka the second coming of Pete Rose.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Seattle x 3

KC x 3

@Arlington x 3

@Seattle x 3

I want 10-2 looking at that schedule.  
I'd accept 8-4. Anything less than that and the sky is falling.