2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I didn't think the issue was Correa looking to leave as much as Crane/Click not making a big enough offer.
I think it's bigger than just money, it's the opportunity to not be vilified by every fanbase outside of Houston and enjoying the process of being pursued by multiple suitors. Money is definitely a huge part of it but Correa has been looking forward to this opportunity for years.

He gone.
  • Rage+1 1

We will know how serious Crane is about signing Correa within the first five days after we win the World Series because that is the time frame for a team to make a qualifying offer to its free agents. That is another reason I am extremely skeptical about Correa returning because Click doesn't want to be in a situation where his player's intent is truly unknown because that costs the opportunity to get a compensatory pick in return. The team will either make a serious, big-money offer with the understanding that he will take it, or they're going to make him a QO which he will reject. The emotional theatrics we saw in the last regular season game weren't just performative, they were a blinking sign that's he's taking his talents elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

.^^^
Gourmand is drunk. It’s an absolute that CC gets a QO. That’s purely a administrative move. 

Sure… but only once since the QO began has a player rejected a QO and then signed with the original team. Mike Moustakas.  Correa’s situation is nothing like that.  A QO would be a smart move if the Astros don’t plan to be competitive in the Correa market, but a terrible signal if they really intend to sign him.  

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Making a QO doesn’t stop negotiations. It only means that if he signs elsewhere, the Astros get the compensatory draft pick. 

I realize that about the compensation, but I thought the effect of the initial QO being rejected meant that the team couldn't negotiate a new deal without significant penalties attached.

Either way it's a no-brainer that both Correa and JV will receive QOs because the team knows they're gone but would be happy to have them stick around on a one-year deal. My guess is Correa will sign with Miami, that seems like a city both he and Daniella would love to live in. 

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I realize that about the compensation, but I thought the effect of the initial QO being rejected meant that the team couldn't negotiate a new deal without significant penalties attached.

CC will receive a QO and reject it. That makes hm a FA. And the Astros can be a player in that FA negotiation. If they sign him then no compensatory draft pick. Happens all the time. 

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

CC will receive a QO and reject it. That makes hm a FA. And the Astros can be a player in that FA negotiation. If they sign him then no compensatory draft pick. Happens all the time. 

Has happened exactly once. Because the player and his agent badly misjudged the market. 

If they think there’s a 90+% chance he’s gone, you are suggesting they don’t make a QO because of the optics/psychology that CC will take them out of the running? And the Astros should give up the draft compensation, if not making a QO increases their chances of him resigning for less than market from 0% to 1%?