2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not a fan of the 2/3/2 playoff structure...

Team with worse regular season record can win series 4-1 and play 3 games at home.  

Or the team with the better record can not be a bitch and lose 4 in a row

this is a dumb thing to complain about. No thanks to the NBA style that adds 2 extra off days in a 7 game set

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Back to back ass kickings where the game was over in the 2nd inning. The offense needs to step up and take the pressure off the pitching staff. Their approach was awful tonight.

Also it would help the offense greatly if the starting pitching would keep the game close enough in the first two innings where the opposing pitcher can't just pound the strike zone without worry because he has a two grand slam lead.

We know the pitching staff is extremely shorthanded and Click didn't do nearly enough at the deadline. And we know that collective team psyche is pretty shot right now. Hey, sometimes you run into a hot team in the playoffs.

But I want to see some fight in these guys. Maybe get it back to Houston. Starts with ABC. Altuve, Bregman, Correa. They're supposed to be your leaders. And Lance firing up the dugout a la JV in Game 2 of the world series wouldn't hurt either.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I see us putting up the early crooked number this time and Greinke pitching well enough to have us in front after 5.  After that, who the hell knows.

All of this

Pivetta has a career 5.16 ERA (4.53 this year). I could very much see heavy traffic on the bases for our offense early. Just need to execute the kill shot like they have the last two games

no excuses

I expected Garcia to get cooked but it was sad seeing Urquidy get blown out like that.  Still, besides Altuve's fuckup I think the way Maldy was pitching him was a huge mistake and ensured he would be shelled in that game.  Urquidy's release points vary significantly so his breaking/offspeed pitches are pretty easy to pick up.  Maldy going back to those over and over and over again when he can't throw them for strikes was a death sentence.  You have to try to get ahead in the count and force them to expand against those breaking/offspeed pitches.  That's been Urquidy's formula for success since he arrived.

Also, I don't know why some on here thought our starters weren't going to get shelled this series.  

11 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Also it would help the offense greatly if the starting pitching would keep the game close enough in the first two innings where the opposing pitcher can't just pound the strike zone without worry because he has a two grand slam lead.

Yeah, that would be great.

1 hour ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Fuck all the bitchassedness.

Astros win tonight.  Series goes 2-2.  Astros clinch in HTown.

At the moment, even another Game 1-type nail-biter seems optimistic, win or lose. Greinke should be the guy to deal well with the game atmosphere and hitter aggressiveness weve come to expect from Boston. He definitely needs to bring everything left in the tank for this one, or we're in a really bad way. Could be regardless, but his best effort should give us at least a fighting chance. 

And I totally agree about starting Castro. Does us no good to save a lefty pinch hitter for when we're down 9 runs. 

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i won't believe it until correa says it or signs for it.

that said, i would rather hear shit like this than not hear shit like this.

Yep, it's easy to leak your 'very competitive' offer after the guy has signed somewhere else.  Uncle Drayton dabbled in this arena.

59 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

saw this yesterday, no idea if someone posted it, or if there’s any validity obviously. 

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night."

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd spend the Correa money on 2-3 starting pitchers. The Astros' rotation is abhorrent. 

They can find a serviceable shortstop or third baseman until somebody in the minors is ready. 

Please neg me. 

our rotation is built for the regular season.  we have 6-7 legit starters but zero frontline guys (lance is close, but yeah).  too many sp3/sp4.

it's a great recipe to win during the season in the al.

• Hook 'Em 1